• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Am I correct in understanding this simply shows all the music in my Steam folder?

Quite a lot of stuff there. Pretty nice to see a bunch of properly-tagged albums complete with arrwork.

Depends, I think it also does the "my music" folder as well... although maybe I set it up to do that. You can choose what it uses and also choose which folders to scan etc

Weird how list price is 39.99 on GG while steam lists the list price as 49.99.

Yeah sure this is the newest one?

yes i'm sure, this is the scholar of the first sin, which is the newest updated version of dark souls 2. here in western europe the base price for it on both steam and gamersgate is 39,99.

16 seems to be an all time low according to isthereanydeal.com

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of uncredited male, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII -- MB-B7DB72387847E03E - Taken by kevin1025. 88 entrants total.

t1449885629z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of uncredited male, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (uncredited male, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII -- MB-A9A32C107262A466 - Taken by Blu(e). 86 entrants total.

t1449885749z1.png

It would be nice not to go back 174 pages with 50 comments on each page.

You know what would make that process much more enjoyable?

1440p.

Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea why the 28-inch, supposedly 4K version of this monitor is cheaper than the 27-inch, 1440p version? They're both GSYNC capable, so that doesn't explain it from what I can tell.

Ozium

You're...
walking meadows in my mind
making waves across my time
oh no
oh nooo

I get a straaaaaange magic
Oh, what a straaaaange magic
Oh, it's a straaaaaange magic
GOT A STRAAAAAAAAANGE MAGIC
GOT A STRAAAAAAAAANGE MAGIC

(doo doo doo, doo doo doo)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game -- MB-F620834F0812577D - Taken by Ozium Trivia Question: Guess?

answer is 3 letters

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I want to play a Star Wars game, thinking of the AoEII-reskin, but then I realized it's not in steam :(

Oh, at least it's in GoG.

bloke

Current indiegala purchase bonus freebie
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Silence of the Sleep -- MB-E4ABC34C73983A5C - Taken by me0wish

I *think* i might see Dandelion soon.

Holy shit, I thought people were exaggerating regarding the length of this particular quest line but no, they were very much on the money. Lucky for the game, I'm enjoying some of the stuff happening now so I'm not too frustrated by this but man how did CDPR think that this bloat was okay?

Sarcasm

Hey I know this prob been asked..but can I start a game so it tracks time/cheevos and after that alt tab and start idle master?

ExoSoul

Banned
Now with DD:DA coming to Steam here's a Top 5 list of mods one hopes will surface soon after the release:

1 - Multiple save slots:
This is easily the most important, one of DD's biggest draw back was limiting the player to a single save file meaning you couldn't have simultaneous characters or previous save-states as backup.

2 - Stat relocation:
This would alleviate some of the problems of having a single save file since you could try multiple builds with one character, would also make the game friendlier to new players since you most likley will not know how to build a character/how stats are alllocated and would remove the "do I build my character or do I have fun" issue.

3 - Removal of class binding on skills:
After playing the game for the Nth time I found myself wanting the skills to be exclusively weapon bound and not class bound with classes serving only as the unlock method. Passive skills already do this and there's no reason why you'd forget a skill you learned as a Fighter just because you became an Assassin.

4 - Stamina/Overencumberance:
Slightly on the game breaking side, specially because there's mechanics that depend on these working properly and boss fights that would be a joke if you could stack as many items as you'd want, at least make it so I can run freely in the overworld when I'm not in combat and increase the pawn's carry capacity per weight class vs the player character.

5 - Rift crystals:
A possibility that's limited by what the dlcs are, if the cosmetic stuff that was released or the rift crystal packs, it would just be better if this currency was removed or the costs decreased heavily.
In the original (and also on DD:DA) crystals were used simply as a pawn currency: pawns your level or lower are free to work with while you had to pay for pawns higher than you (ecept if they're a friend's). In DD:DA this currency saw another use, thanks to a certain NPC you could use them in conjucntion with certain items to get 3 sets of weapons as well as tools and other items, with the third tier being the highest and most elusive you'd spend a lot of time farming for these item drops but worse than the drop rate was the crystal cost. Even if you optimise the item farming you'll have to farm for crystal drops as well and it goes without saying it'd be a better experience if you didn't have to go through it or you didn't need as many crystals.

Teggy

I *think* i might see Dandelion soon.

Holy shit, I thought people were exaggerating regarding the length of this particular quest line but no, they were very much on the money. Lucky for the game, I'm enjoying some of the stuff happening now so I'm not too frustrated by this but man how did CDPR think that this bloat was okay?

I really think that the game was designed to do one major quest line in each area and to replay 2 or 3 times getting a different view story but it was not communicated well. This leads to a tighter experience. I need to get back to the game because I stopped as I was waiting for a bunch of patches, but I have done most of Novigrad and am considerably over leveled for the quests I am doing and also the quest to go to Skellige because I have been doing all the quests. The different major quests in each area all direct you to the next part of the story, just in different ways.

Pakkidis

Now with DD:DA coming to Steam here's a Top 5 list of mods one hopes will surface soon after the release:

1 - Multiple save slots:
This is easily the most important, one of DD's biggest draw back was limiting the player to a single save file meaning you couldn't have simultaneous characters or previous save-states as backup.

2 - Stat relocation:
This would alleviate some of the problems of having a single save file since you could try multiple builds with one character, would also make the game friendlier to new players since you most likley will not know how to build a character/how stats are alllocated and would remove the "do I build my character or do I have fun" issue.

3 - Removal of class binding on skills:
After playing the game for the Nth time I found myself wanting the skills to be exclusively weapon bound and not class bound with classes serving only as the unlock method. Passive skills already do this and there's no reason why you'd forget a skill you learned as a Fighter just because you became an Assassin.

4 - Stamina/Overencumberance:
Slightly on the game breaking side, specially because there's mechanics that depend on these working properly and boss fights that would be a joke if you could stack as many items as you'd want, at least make it so I can run freely in the overworld when I'm not in combat and increase the pawn's carry capacity per weight class vs the player character.

5 - Rift crystals:
A possibility that's limited by what the dlcs are, if the cosmetic stuff that was released or the rift crystal packs, it would just be better if this currency was removed or the costs decreased heavily.
In the original (and also on DD:DA) crystals were used simply as a pawn currency: pawns your level or lower are free to work with while you had to pay for pawns higher than you (ecept if they're a friend's). In DD:DA this currency saw another use, thanks to a certain NPC you could use them in conjucntion with certain items to get 3 sets of weapons as well as tools and other items, with the third tier being the highest and most elusive you'd spend a lot of time farming for these item drops but worse than the drop rate was the crystal cost. Even if you optimise the item farming you'll have to farm for crystal drops as well and it goes without saying it'd be a better experience if you didn't have to go through it or you didn't need as many crystals.

Agree with everything you said except for number 3. One of the reasons skills are locked to certain vocations is to force you to play as that vocation.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Shantom, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shantom, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign -- MB-7A5C3EA61986466C - Taken by trailmix16. 57 entrants total.

t1449849208z1.png

I really think that the game was designed to do one major quest line in each area and to replay 2 or 3 times getting a different view story but it was not communicated well. This leads to a tighter experience. I need to get back to the game because I stopped as I was waiting for a bunch of patches, but I have done most of Novigrad and am considerably over leveled for the quests I am doing and also the quest to go to Skellige because I have been doing all the quests. The different major quests in each area all direct you to the next part of the story, just in different ways.
See, i didn't mind this with the Bloody Baron quest in Velen because it was so varied and that quest line was engaging from beginning to end. It's just this dandelion thing seems so long and there's zero tension to it since you know that Dandelion will be fine at the end. So it's this wild goose chase to please 1000 people for them to tell you where that jerk is.

Maybe make this shit half as many steps since it's not like it's not a long ass game as it is.

Dr Dogg

Oh this looks nice.

Pffft that was when Squenix tried to hold me back. They can do that no longer!

Granted this was taken at 1 in the morning, half asleep and completely forgot that not only did I get this to render at 5120x2880 it's still got 8xSGSSAA applied to it as well. Wondered why I was getting 2 seconds per frame (yes I meant that way round)

Pffft that was when Squenix tried to hold me back. They can do that no longer!

Granted this was taken at 1 in the morning, half asleep and completely forgot that not only did I get this to render at 5120x2880 it's still got 8xSGSSAA applied to it as well. Wondered why I was getting 2 seconds per frame (yes I meant that way round)

That HUD though....

See, i didn't mind this with the Bloody Baron quest in Velen because it was so varied and that quest line was engaging from beginning to end. It's just this dandelion thing seems so long and there's zero tension to it since you know that Dandelion will be fine at the end. So it's this wild goose chase to please 1000 people for them to tell you where that jerk is.

Maybe make this shit half as many steps since it's not like it's not a long ass game as it is.

I didn't mind it too much because I was bouncing back and forth between Novigrad and Velen when I played it. Novigrad was a port of call for my adventuring rather than being the focal point of it. I guess the quest could feel like an overly long mcguffin chase if one were to do it continuously.

yeah, temple of trials is a really bad tutorial level

i'm pretty sure you can just download a save after that and just edit ur character with a character editor if u wanna save urself the pain

wow really? I'm going to do this then. I forgot that you could edit your build once you finish the trials. Before I continue with my charisma build, is it possible to beat the game without killing a single person like in New Vegas? this is what I want to attempt, I want to try and kill as little people as possible.

ExoSoul

Banned
Agree with everything you said except for number 3. One of the reasons skills are locked to certain vocations is to force you to play as that vocation.

I get that, it's just that some vocations become really lackluster late game except for one particular skill by what I remember and it still wouldn't alter the vocation traits. But yeah, I can see how it's not desirable.
On the other hand Assassin would be the most overpowered thing ever.

Dr Dogg

That HUD though....

That's not too bad compared to some of the assets when you get past the starting sections and first boss. Both in terms of quality and aesthetics they're bloody horrible that no amount of resolution is every going to solve. You can see it a bit in the intro camera pan. The budget for this was obviously chump change compared to XIII so fuck knows how much was put aside for the PC version.

Another amusing thread on Gaming side :D

Fallout 4 is the perfect game

Ok. Let me read and see his arguments...

Yes, of course, there are bugs. There are a lot of bugs, some things could have been done better, some of the stuff does not work, like it should. But that is not the point, those are technical issues that can and will be solved.

....I'm not sure the definition of 'perfect' is correctly understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom