• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

G6iHzxC.png

Is there something in the water?

Trump becoming president.

Since I had never played Lightning Returns (or knew much about it) I figured I'd watch a bit of the beginning tutorial area to get an idea of how it plays. It seems interesting but dear god some of the people who put gameplay videos up irritate me. One of the fights is a tutorial on "Staggering". It spells it out for you exactly what you're supposed to do and they disregard it completely and just go into "mash the attack button x infinity" mode. I'm just looking at the screen saying "It just told you what to do...what are you doing?".

damnit I used to watch it all the time when I was younger. That red headed assistant..

I think this is her.

yeah...Kari Byron

Science Channel is doing another Mythbusters marathon starting on Christmas Eve showing every episode in order (they did the same thing last year I believe)

Kriken

Guy we all know Bloodborne is the GOTY. Sony said so by releasing a Game of the Year Edition on 24th November before any professional publication had done their awards.

1804287_0.jpg

I mean who exactly so far has awarded BB GOTY? Are they authoritative enough to be able to declare that and have a new version of a game sold? Would Trading Standards investigate a claim of false advertising if enough complaints are received?

GAF
Until they vote Witcher 3 GOTY there as well

Soulflarz

Banned
unless you go full havel or whatever, you're dead in just a few hits

is this some sort of revisionist crap where dark souls is super easy, its upgrade and covenant systems really transparent and pvp completely balanced

Moreso my point that I found a few to be plenty, since it's moreso a few consecutively, you have heals.

But I'm a terrible example, I find most games to be pretty easy. They're games after all, you can think through the logical path to victory :D

edit: That groupees bundle worth picking up probably?

Oh okay, good. We agree on something. It is strange seeing all these teenaged posters with really bizarre opinions. I guess it's just the way society is now that's helping shape em, I dunno.
I think the quality of gaming side's decline in thread quality has more to do with the Great Exile, or maybe it's just me.

yeah...Kari Byron

Science Channel is doing another Mythbusters marathon starting on Christmas Eve showing every episode in order (they did the same thing last year I believe)

They fired her last year because she asked for a raise and this year they are being cancelled. COINCIDENT? I THINK NOT!

dex3108

damnit I used to watch it all the time when I was younger. That red headed assistant..

I think this is her.

Tory, Grant and Kari left 2 seasons ago and in January final season will be aired. It is sad to see educational and entertaining show like Mythbusters canceled. :(

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

the mean greens- -- MB-350DA9B748972E6C - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.

t1449855040z1.png
mean greens

Stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Lichdom: Battlemage -- MB-5E36EAF7E03F4303 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 3 entrants total.
Survivalist -- MB-CF98173B771B50F8 - Taken by The_Monk. 2 entrants total.
HyperRogue -- MB-D336D63BF3789AE1 - Taken by 73V3N. 1 entrants total.
Gun Rocket -- MB-8E39C4744D0C22E2 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Super Hipster Lumberjack -- MB-0672F588D2E6AFBE - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Witches, Heroes and Magic -- MB-85C65BE9F7626322 - Taken by xGreg. 1 entrants total.

t1449856120z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
wow really? I'm going to do this then. I forgot that you could edit your build once you finish the trials. Before I continue with my charisma build, is it possible to beat the game without killing a single person like in New Vegas? this is what I want to attempt, I want to try and kill as little people as possible.

wait no, i mean is using an external character editor that you download, there's no like "review your build" menu like in new vegas.

as someone that's played fo2 like 30 times, i always just kept a savegame right after the trials and used a char editor to change whatever i wanted to change (i forgot the name but i think u should be able to find something here?)

also you can beat the game without killing anyone yourself but there's some mandatory fighting that you gotta do if u wanna finish the game. you can let other ppl do it for you and hack ai turrets and stuff, but someone's gonna be dead by the end of the game.

other than that a lot of quests have peaceful solutions or clever things you can do to solve them without combat, so give it a shot!

Moreso my point that I found a few to be plenty, since it's moreso a few consecutively, you have heals.

But I'm a terrible example, I find most games to be pretty easy. They're games after all, you can think through the logical path to victory :D
moreso moreso moreso

it's just not hard to see how a game like dark souls can be stressful

three hits and you're dead, you get hit twice and now you gotta heal, which involves going through a long animation you can't cancel out and that nails you to the ground for a few seconds, during which time you might just get killed. so you gotta now play perfectly until a window of opportunity shows up for you to heal without being interrupted/killed.

now add in that the boss is just three hits from dead himself and you're weighting every decision you make against getting in just another hit. also add in that you're watching your stamina. add in that you're watching that you're dodging and running while mapping out the boss room in your head. add in that dying means running from the checkpoint all over again, something you've done like 4 or 5 times already. add in that your soul count is growing larger every time you rush for the boss and die so what if i forget to pick up my souls?

it's a game built around these tensions, if you can't feel any of this why are you even playing dark souls in the first place -__-

Dsyndrome

You're...
walking meadows in my mind
making waves across my time
oh no
oh nooo

I get a straaaaaange magic
Oh, what a straaaaange magic
Oh, it's a straaaaaange magic
GOT A STRAAAAAAAAANGE MAGIC
GOT A STRAAAAAAAAANGE MAGIC

(doo doo doo, doo doo doo)

What the hell is the answer if it's not ELO?

dex3108

Brand new DLC for ‪#‎ArkhamKnight‬ will be arriving on 22 December! Season Pass holders will get access to the Season of Infamy Most Wanted Missions, plus a whole new set of AR Challenges in Crime Fighter Challenge Pack #5.
Also in this month's update, drive the classic Batman: Arkham Asylum Batmobile, and check out a set of custom Rocksteady decals for the Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile.
Finally, all players will receive the 2008 Movie Batman skin.
So what are you looking forward to most? Let us know in the comments...

Should we open bets for Season of Infamy length? :D

ExoSoul

Banned
Guy we all know Bloodborne is the GOTY. Sony said so by releasing a Game of the Year Edition on 24th November before any professional publication had done their awards.

1804287_0.jpg

I mean who exactly so far has awarded BB GOTY? Are they authoritative enough to be able to declare that and have a new version of a game sold? Would Trading Standards investigate a claim of false advertising if enough complaints are received?

Plenty of games have released GOTY editions with all the dlc without receiving the title. And to those that do, in whose authority? IGN, Kotaku? How many games of the year can you have in a year?

"GOTY" is worthless and is used to breathe new life into a IP.

Jawmuncher

Plenty of games have released GOTY editions with all the dlc without receiving the title. And to those that do, in whose authority? IGN, Kotaku? How many games of the year can you have in a year?

No they usually have it from at least one source, even if it's small.
The Bloodborne situation is funny since they just flat out went and did it before awards season. Would be like if Evolve complete DLC collection was just called the GOTY edition. Sure as you said anyone can label it at some point. But it's still funny to see before any awards are even handed out. We knew about that GOTY listing in like October.

Kriken

No they usually have it from at least one source, even if it's small.
The Bloodborne situation is funny since they just flat out went and did it before awards season. Would be like if Evolve complete DLC collection was just called the GOTY edition. Sure as you said anyone can label it at some point. But it's still funny to see before any awards are even handed out. We knew about that GOTY listing in like October.

I think what bothers me about the Bloodborne complete edition is how Dark Souls 1 and 2 had unique titles for their respective GOTY editions. Here's it's like "Fuck it, GOTY edition, print and go home boys"

Khronico

Played Killing Floor 2 last night because of the free weekend. Everything they did in the first game is refined and perfected in the second. Every aspect of the sound design, weapon feedback, enemy design, animations is perfectly tuned to make the gameplay incredibly... visceral. Very few developers make the audio-visual feedback of shooting a gun so satisfying. Unloading a mag into a crowd of zeds is just pure bliss.

Hektor

Calling something GOTY is meaningless anyways, especially in the mainsream. It just means "Game that was the most fun this year" or nowadays "game that was the most cinematic/atmospheric this year".

GOTY titles are rarely awarded to games that try something different or new, that are actively driving the industry forward. Its mostly awarded to enjoyable games that don't have any impact on the vey industry they come from.

Those awards are markerting combined with circlejerking, hence why those awards are often split into groups of certain platforms and genres, critical analysis of games, their content as well as their execution is never existent, and that's not just in the awards but in the entire industry.

I think what bothers me about the Bloodborne complete edition is how Dark Souls 1 and 2 had unique titles for their respective GOTY editions. Here's it's like "Fuck it, GOTY edition, print and go home boys"

Bloodborne got that too, but only in Japan. Old Hunters edition it is called. That got probably to do with it beeing Sony exclusive and having to adhere to their marketing standards or something along those lines.

Dr Dogg

Plenty? List them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think it's easy to forget that "[X game] of the Year" technically qualifies. A game doesn't have to be awarded the overall Game of the Year award to accurately claim it's a game of the year.

zkylon

zkylewd
the fact that new vegas got an "ultimate" edition instead of a goty edition just makes all goty editions of all time null

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GOTY titles are rarely awarded to games that try something different or new, that are actively driving the industry forward. Its mostly awarded to enjoyable games that don't have any impact on the vey industry they come from.

That's why SteamGAF is the only GOTY I trust

ytycq9K.png

Jawmuncher

I think it's easy to forget that "[X game] of the Year" technically qualifies. A game doesn't have to be awarded the overall Game of the Year award to claim it's a game of the year.

techincally any game released this year is a game of the year.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 released in 2015. So thus it's a game of the year in which it was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom