• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

No they usually have it from at least one source, even if it's small.
The Bloodborne situation is funny since they just flat out went and did it before awards season. Would be like if Evolve complete DLC collection was just called the GOTY edition. Sure as you said anyone can label it at some point. But it's still funny to see before any awards are even handed out. We knew about that GOTY listing in like October.
Yeah, since there are no actual requirements for calling something game of the year edition, everyone can call their game a game of the year edition, no awards are actually required.

That said, with literally hundreds and hundreds of goty awards given out every year (year end top 10 lists are great clickbait), Bloodborne will surely end up with one, making this one at least (retroactively) not a flat-out lie.

Not that the kind of uninformed consumers that would be suckered in by this kind of pretense of critical acclaim would know either way. :D

zkylon

zkylewd
Original character, do not steal.
no3dSpC.jpg

gross

is that a cat or fox, i can't even tell

derExperte

Urge to fly to Australia and punch that Mark Serrels guy in the nutsack rising. Wtf at #4. That absolutely was GOTY 2001.

Oh shit boi, about Red Orchestra 2:

I have never played this game. I have never heard of this game. Until two hours ago, I had no idea it existed. What. The. Hell.

I wonder if he posts over in Gaming and starts threads about issues like no SW rpgs.

Dr Dogg

AFL Live: Game of The Year Edition (2012)

Last time I checked the definition of plenty wasn't 1 or 2. There was a bit of kerfuffle over Two Worlds II GOTY Edition (Joystiq when and checked every major outlet) but I think someone found a no name blogger did award it them that (not that it really matters much). But to assert that plenty of GOTY Editions are just used for marketing fluff without backing up said claim at all, especially when saying plenty, makes me wonder if some folks don't like Bloodborne bashing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably LIS then. Too bad everyone put ELO.

The whole "The answer is three letters" thing may or may not be a red herring. I actually spent a brief moment trying to find an correlation between the answer and his post but was unsuccessful, so, uh, good luck, haha.

I realise I'm about a stone's throw from abusing my "power", but it's been four-and-a-bit hours now and nobody has come close. I won't say anything more.

fantomena

Last time I checked the definition of plenty wasn't 1 or 2. There was a bit of kerfuffle over Two Worlds II GOTY Edition (Joystiq when and checked every major outlet) but I think someone found a no name blogger did award it them that (not that it really matters much). But to assert that plenty of GOTY Editions are just used for marketing fluff without backing up said claim at all, especially when saying plenty, makes me wonder if some folks don't like Bloodborne bashing.

How can people bash one of the best games this year?

The whole "The answer is three letters" thing may or may not be a red herring. I actually spent a brief moment trying to find an correlation between the answer and his post but was unsuccessful, so, uh, good luck, haha.

I realise I'm about a stone's throw from abusing my "power", but it's been four-and-a-bit hours now and nobody has come close. I won't say anything more.

is it
three letters

Majukun

probably already asked millions of times..is shadow of mordor really that good ?
even if I'm not a lord of the rings fan?

probably already asked millions of times..is shadow of mordor really that good ?

Sounds like the nemesis system is novel and some of the combat is satisfying, though not with a high degree of control — animations look good, but the game is really repetitive.

never played it myself

Khronico

It's a completely OK game. Nothing amazing, but it's enjoyable, I'd only recommend it at a steep discount. Don't worry about the LOTR stuff, it's not really anything other than the setting the developer chose to put it in.

No, I was disappointed. I bought the complete bundle for $15 on bundle stars as was not impressed. It is like a worse mad max or batman, all those beatemups are the same. That being said for 10 dollars i guess it is not a bad pick up.

What a great, great, great concept which will lead to great, great, great content by great, great, great modders.
Don't judge, I watched Alec Baldwin on SNL.

All those VR headsets hopefully are using one standard so that all these VR games are cross-compatible
FF XV running on PC :D So close but so far away at the same time XD

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/675285707032694784
I only remember some months ago from Dogg that it doesn't mean the engine and whatnot are optimized or would even work as a PC game just because all games are made on PCs.

FFXV will come to PC, I believe that though.

Parsnip

I don't think it's great. It gives a good first impression but the batman combat only takes it so far and the nemesis system is kind of the only thing that it has going for it. And it's not enough by a long shot and gets boring after a while.

It's great buuttttt don't think GOTY, think batman meets asscreed with an excellent nemesis system stealing the show.

I really liked it but I understood a lot of the criticism it received. I still think it's worth checking out.

ExoSoul

Banned

Ok "plenty" was a bad choice of word.
And no, I quite enjoy Souls games. Just the whole GOTY thing... Does IGN get to name various GOTYs across the various outlets?

Jawmuncher

Ok "plenty" was a bad choice of word.
And no, I quite enjoy Souls games. Just the whole GOTY thing... Does IGN get to name various GOTYs across the various outlets?

You're missing the point. The fact of the matter was that it was labeled as such before award season even started. No one is saying BB wasn't gonna get an award from somewhere. The timing was just dumb for it.

Paging Señor Malewrestler. Git 'em.

Calling something GOTY is meaningless anyways, especially in the mainsream. It just means "Game that was the most fun this year" or nowadays "game that was the most cinematic/atmospheric this year".

GOTY titles are rarely awarded to games that try something different or new, that are actively driving the industry forward. Its mostly awarded to enjoyable games that don't have any impact on the vey industry they come from.

Those awards are markerting combined with circlejerking, hence why those awards are often split into groups of certain platforms and genres, critical analysis of games, their content as well as their execution is never existent, and that's not just in the awards but in the entire industry.

The bolded is the only part I take issue with here.

A game doesn't have to push the envelope to be the best game out there. Sometimes just doing what you do and doing it very well is justification in its own right.

And it's not just games where this makes sense. Look at the year Return of the King won it's Best Picture. It beat out Lost in Translation and Mystic River, both of which are much, much more stylized films that paid acute detail to sound and music informing the plot (the former) or color and framing reinforcing the plot (the latter, and is heralded as an example of this.)

But ROTK came through with an epic that just had so many chefs in the kitchen, so many moving parts, so many reasons for it not to blow things out, and managed to pull it off. To not call it the film of the year would have been insane, but both of those movies I mentioned are clearly better films when you start to look at them.

Majukun

It's great buuttttt don't think GOTY, think batman meets asscreed with an excellent nemesis system stealing the show.

I really liked it but I understood a lot of the criticism it received. I still think it's worth checking out.

I don't think it's great. It gives a good first impression but the batman combat only takes it so far and the nemesis system is kind of the only thing that it has going for it. And it's not enough by a long shot and gets boring after a while.
No, I was disappointed. I bought the complete bundle for $15 on bundle stars as was not impressed. It is like a worse mad max or batman, all those beatemups are the same. That being said for 10 dollars i guess it is not a bad pick up.
It's a completely OK game. Nothing amazing, but it's enjoyable, I'd only recommend it at a steep discount. Don't worry about the LOTR stuff, it's not really anything other than the setting the developer chose to put it in.

Sounds like the nemesis system is novel and some of the combat is satisfying, though not with a high degree of control — animations look good, but the game is really repetitive.

never played it myself

thanks for the answers guys..i think i'll pass for now and wait to see what the winter sale reserves

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Why is there no RPG set in the Star Wars universe?" is one of those thread titles that makes you feel old.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
WET is pretty underrated. Sure the visuals were very PS2 looking and a few gameplay things needed ironing but it was fun.
4c951da621.gif

Kinda sucks there was no PC version.
2bcc5daa06.gif

"Why is there no RPG set in the Star Wars universe?" is one of those thread titles that makes you feel old.

I still think it's a troll thread. How can someone name drop another Bioware RPG and really, truly not know that there are single player RPGs made by that same company?

i mean my god just click on the third link

WET is pretty underrated. Sure the visuals were very PS2 looking and a few gameplay things needed ironing but it was fun.
4c951da621.gif

Kinda sucks there was no PC version.
2bcc5daa06.gif
why play a bad Platinum-like when you can just play good platinum games.

what I would like on PC is Lollipop Chainsaw. Killer is Dead has ~175k in sales on steam, that's gotta be a lot better than they expected especially since Suda's games sell like shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom