• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Yes and controller not on sale. 60+25 = 85!

Just buy the 74 dollar controller + dongle bundle (which is in stock lol)

Or if yea want to go cheaper DS4 plus 5 dollar dongle.

Deques

I can find an Xbox One controller with a dongle package for 700 SEK ~ $82, which is almost same price if I buy them separately. There is an Xbox One controller with cable for 500 SEK ~$58, (I assume this one can be used with a dongle). What I find strange is that the controllers without cable costs more than the with cable, the ones with cables can be used wirelessly

What's special with the Elite controllers?

Cheapest Dualshock 4 I can find costs 550 SEK ~$65. Does any generic bluetooth dongle work with it?
I can probably live with the short battery time as I only game like one hour/day

Another question, which got the best d-pad?

Sarcasm

I can find an Xbox One controller with a dongle package for 700 SEK ~ $82, which is almost same price if I buy them separately. There is an Xbox One controller with cable for 500 SEK ~$58, (I assume this one can be used with a dongle). What I find strange is that the controllers without cable costs more than the with cable, the ones with cables can be used wirelessly

Cheapest Dualshock 4 I can find costs 550 SEK ~$65. Does any generic bluetooth dongle work with it?

Xbox One and Xbox One Elite controllers are different. Elite is configurable (ON w10 and xbox..dunno about earlier) not only hardware wise but software wise.

I'm going into credit card debt for the first time ever... For $16.43. Bought all my presents via credit this pay period but forgot I had to pay my $237.12 in car insurance for December. That means that $16.43 is going to become a whopping $19.72

RIP tbh

I can probably live with the short battery time as I only game like one hour/day

Another question, which got the best d-pad?

The Dualshock 4 is shit. It's built incredibly poorly and has less battery life than a cellphone with BT, full screen brightness, and browsing Chrome with a weak signal. Fuck that.

Get the Xbox One controller. Literally everything is better - from the d-pad, to the new bumpers, to the triggers, to the battery life, and the build quality. I recommend Lunar White if you can afford it, the extra rubber grip is heavenly.

Don't even get me started on how shit the DS4 analogs are.

ExoSoul

Banned
God this thread is a breath of fresh air. So sensible with lots of games recommended. Why do I ever leave SteamGAF?

Question: I've been out of the PC gaming loop for a while. I need a good controller. Do I need to install something on my PC to get a DS4 working?

InputMapper is the defacto program.
Also wortha try but some games have native support.

The Steam controller is the cheapest new wireless controller at $49.99 coming with its dongle in the box and has the longest battery life by far. The controller works pretty well, but it's got a learning curve and is always going to need a bit of adjusting setting at the start of most games you play at least in the immediate future. If you're not attached to analog sticks and the kind of PC gamer who likes messing with stuff like Sweet FX, ini files, and other settings not usually found in the graphics menu of games than it's worth considering. I'm saying this as someone who bought a Steam controller, but decided to stick to a traditional gamepad instead. I believe in the device, but it's not for me until the software becomes simpler and ideally has a mode where it auto calibrates itself based on a series of questions.

InputMapper is the defacto program.
Also wortha try but some games have native support.

The Steam controller is the cheapest new wireless controller at $49.99 coming with its dongle in the box and has the longest battery life by far. The controller works pretty well, but it's got a learning curve and is always going to need a bit of adjusting setting at the start of most games you play at least in the immediate future. If you're not attached to analog sticks and the kind of PC gamer who likes messing with stuff like Sweet FX, ini files, and other settings not usually found in the graphics menu of games than it's worth considering. I'm saying this as someone who bought a Steam controller, but decided to stick to a traditional gamepad instead. I believe in the device, but it's not for me until the software becomes simpler and ideally has a mode where it auto calibrates itself based on a series of questions.

Also, Steam controller let's you reliably play games like World of Warcraft, System Shock, Civilization, etc with a paddle.

Deques

I would consider Steam controller, but it is missing a secondary analog stick :/

Sarcasm

That is way over-exaggerated about the DS4.

I'd still choose an Xbox controller. I am getting an XBX One Elite cheap when I fly in the states from a friend who has connections.

Steam controller is dope but its not plug and play like a ps4 or xbone controller would be. Gotta play with the settings to find something that suits you best for each type of game. But once its all set up its awesome, gyro+mouselike joystick is awesome yo

I would consider Steam controller, but it is missing a secondary analog stick :/
Like I said if you're super attached to analog sticks and not into the idea of learning something new then it's not worth it, but those track pads are super flexible it's rather impressive. I think the track pad+ gyro with the right settings is probably a better way to control thing then an analog stick, but I just don't have the time or interest right now to spend learning how to make that stuck work right for me. I'd check out the videos this YouTube account https://m.youtube.com/#/user/TheDarkAlly . It give you a pretty good idea of what to expect out of it. He makes configuring the controller sound a bit easier then I feel it actually is especially in the early goings, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what it actually does.

Like I said before it's not device for everyone including myself right now, but I think for some people it's worth investigating.

Pfff. What does Brad Muir have that Jason Shackles doesn't?
A love for Dota, a great smile, and experience being the project lead on at least two successful games? I don't know maybe JShackles has these things two all I know about him is he's a coder and has made Steam pretty amazing to use in a browser.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is fighting games on the steam controller?

I like that you're asking for educated opinions and not subscribing to, well, "Anything that is different is automatically awful!" nonsense such as:

A track pad will never be as good as an analogue stick. Being different for the sake of it isn't a good enough reason to use the device. The steam controller is on the same level as a 3 wheeled car.

jdavid459

So Doom's on sale...never really played the series. Is Doom Classic complete the way to go? What's the best way to play? Seems to be Doom, ultimate doom, final levels, ultimate doom...then there's brutal doom...

Parsnip

I haven't tried the Steam controller and since I don't have the cash to blow on an unknown thing, it's going to stay that way for a while.

And it makes me sad because I want hands on time with it.

I like that you're asking for educated opinions and not subscribing to, well, "Anything that is different is automatically awful!" nonsense such as:
Lmfao you had that post bookmarked just so you could shit on him on a later date.

I dont know how good it is for fighters tho, closest thing i can do is use it for smash bros on dolphin, dont own any 2d fighters.

def sim

I'll pick up the steam controller once they get support for non-steam games in. I enjoy gyro typing on PS4; I can see myself loving gyro aiming.

Durante

I think fighters are actually one of the worst genres to play on the Steam controller, together with shmups. (Perhaps not coincidentally, I play both of those with an arcade stick)

Wonder how it would be in a game like dark souls..
... on the other hand, it's great for third person games! Not only is the camera control superior, the additional 2 buttons also help a lot. (I sometimes wish there were 4)

JaseC

Lmfao you had that post bookmarked just so you could shit on him on a later date.

Haha, I actually had to go looking for it. The post stands out in my mind as I said this just minutes earlier:

Lack of familiarity was always going to make for a problematic critical reception; what has become the standard game controller has more or less existed since the original dualshock. It also doesn't help that people who've never used the controller tend to assert, for instance, that it's bad for fighting games or the trackpads aren't as accurate as analogue sticks.

There's a difference between "The Steam Controller sucks for fighters" and "The Steam Controller sucks for for fighters because...". Echoing a popular opinion doesn't make you look smart but rather the exact opposite; it's the very definition of being unable to think for yourself.

dex3108

I'll pick up the steam controller once they get support for non-steam games in. I enjoy gyro typing on PS4; I can see myself loving gyro aiming.

Non-Steam Game support
Another thing the community has asked for is the ability to share configurations for games bought somewhere other than Steam. The next Steam Beta client will add that as well, so add your favorite non-Steam game to your library, and we'll automatically find configurations that other users have published.

* Available in next Steam Beta clien

http://store.steampowered.com/controller/update/dec15

accel

So Doom's on sale...never really played the series. Is Doom Classic complete the way to go? What's the best way to play? Seems to be Doom, ultimate doom, final levels, ultimate doom...then there's brutal doom...

Look up a post from JaseC a few pages ago, he suggests classic because of mods.

I went with BFG edition, because - if I understand it correctly - it includes levels classic doesn't have.

Grief.exe

I went with BFG edition, because - if I understand it correctly - it includes levels classic doesn't have.

Those levels are garbage though.

PSA: Just buy the original Doom 3. Mods don't work on the BFG version, the new levels are not a justification.

e90Mark

Is Cities Skyline still the "best" city builder at the moment?

Also, can anyone recommend some "tycoon" games to play? I was watching RCTW and Planet Coaster trailers the other day and wanna do some building. I wish either of those games were launching soon.

Trying to build up the wish list for the holiday sale. Thanks!

Dr Dogg

Quarter circle movements are alright on a Steam Controller for me with high haptic settings and click to activate on the trackpad. Forward, down, down rights (ie dragon punch) where a bit hit and miss but I'm sure it's a practice makes perfect thing. Are fighting games playable on a Steam Controller? For me yes. Could you be competitive with one? Depends but I bet some dedicated dude will could win a tourney with one. Look at Luffy at EVO last year.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm so pissed at logitech.

I've got the G930 and since installing windows 10 it disconnects and connects over and over again and it's the most annoying thing ever, it's almost unusable.
The problem also seems to be widespread and hasn't been fixed for over 10 months and none of the "fixes" the community has come up with has fixed it for me.

Bad part I don't have the receipt as I got it by my grandma for birthday so I can't really go the support route "legitimately" but I guess I'll try calling them this monday eitherway as I've heard stories of shipped units no questions asked.

EDIT: Actually it's unusable, can't watch streams where I hear about half of what's said because BEEP happens over and over again.

JaseC

Yeah, prior to responding I went hunting for a mod that adds them in and came up short, but they're hardly required reading. Practically limitless mod support trumps a mini-campaign that can be best described as "deja vu incarnate".

Nzyme32

I think fighters are actually one of the worst genres to play on the Steam controller, together with shmups. (Perhaps not coincidentally, I play both of those with an arcade stick)

Big issue with the dpad emu in the Steam Controller is just how alien it feels for games like shmup and fighting games. Took me about a whole day to get comfortable with it, and I can't play unless the haptics are high. After that I've had no problem with fighting games.

Shmups on the other hand are little more of a challenge for me since I actually learnt to play them with analogue sticks, and in cases like Ikaruga where they can be fully utilised, it took a while to adjust myself to digital movement. Regardless, I'm back to A rank, with the only thing holding me back being half a decade of not playing it and getting reaclimate to the levels

Grief.exe

Also, can anyone recommend some "tycoon" games to play? I was watching RCTW and Planet Coaster trailers the other day and wanna do some building. I wish either of those games were launching soon.

Cities Skylines and Banished, the former has more content but Banished is just as fun.

There is also Simcity 4 and the Tropico series.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Yeah Planet Coaster looks incredible!

Though RCTW looks like a trainwreck, maybe not in the trailers but from vids and impression of the beta.

Dr Dogg

1 massive plus for the Steam controller is battery life. WiiU Pro controller gets praise for 80 hour life per cycle but I haven't charged that batteries I put in my Steam Contoller since I got it and they're nothing special (2100mamp cheeapos from Tesco). Must have used it for nigh on 65-70 hours now going by playtimes for games I know.

Yeah my big hang up with the steam controller is mostly with shooters. I've had great experiences with it in Transformers Devastation and Van Helsing. I also really wish I didn't need to be in Big Picture mode to use it. I still play stuff at my desk I'd rather have the traditional Steam interface. I get why it's the way it is but for a device that's all about options it's kind of weird that not using Big Picture mode isn't one of them. I think I'd even be okay if I had to install separate program to avoid that.

Anteater

i bought lightning returns

but-whybpjl5.gif

i'm still a few hours into ffxiii-2..

Dr.Acula

Banned
I thought Blue Spring was fun in a kind of goofy way.

The clapping game doesn't really make sense when you think about it, but it still seems like something you'd see teenagers doing and putting way too much stock into. I thought it was a solid melodrama and from what I remember didn't bring in too many labored mangaisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom