• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Did anyone see this on Steam? Just really for the player count it sounds interesting to me.

If Lashman posted it my fault Lashy I missed it.

It's by the Project Reality guys and it's great. I highly recommend that you pick it up if you want something like Arma 3 but far more playable.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just started over that squarecells level and reached the exact same layout and i'm stuck again -__-

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't think it's possible to skip those encounters anyway. You'll definitely have to fight some of the smaller ones in some of the earlier areas, and the game's equivalent of the stronghold has several floors featuring spiders and an optional spider boss on the first floor. The spider queen caught me off guard when I encountered it.
i mean if they're like discrete encounters i can get through and never fight again that i could do but actually never knowing if there are gonna be spiders whenever i go into a cave is something i don't wanna deal with

like the old nua stuff i can just skip and if it were like the tutorial cave or something i can get past that and never go back, or just skip the few quests that ask you to go kill spiders

it's more of the fear of random encounters or them being a regular enemy you regularly come across

Manus down. Was a very different experience than first time. No more sweaty hands and tense atmosphere. Instead juggled the silver pendant and dodging like a breeze. Even without any armor, only a greatshield & halberd coupled with dark wood grain ring & low weight for that brilliant agility.
Only kalameet('s tail) left now. This little session helped me a bit get my head straight at least. Today really was not a good day.

Eila

Aviary attorney in 6 days
tKUH6PY.gif

It's going to get dogpiled in the steam sale, unless Pewdiepie or someone like that picks it up.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
i mean if they're like discrete encounters i can get through and never fight again that i could do but actually never knowing if there are gonna be spiders whenever i go into a cave is something i don't wanna deal with

like the old nua stuff i can just skip and if it were like the tutorial cave or something i can get past that and never go back, or just skip the few quests that ask you to go kill spiders

it's more of the fear of random encounters or them being a regular enemy you regularly come across

Spiders are regular enemies that show up somewhat often, unfortunately. Enemies don't normally respawn, so there's that at least. As far as I know, enemy locations aren't randomized and are based on difficulty level, so you could use picture based guides to see what type of enemy you'll encounter next. It might help with the element of surprise/fear of randomly encountering spiders in areas.

Looking at the wiki page for spider enemies: there are some in the tutorial cave, there's a cave later on in a location called
Dyrford Crossing
that you should avoid, there's a dungeon called
Lle a Rhemen
that you should avoid too. Both of those areas feature sidequests, but if you want to avoid spiders as much as possible, it's best to avoid those areas. While the first part of Od Nua is mandatory to advance the main plot, you don't have to fight the spider queen, just don't venture too far into the first basement floor. There are locations missing from the list there, too. I remember encountering spiders in the first town's temple, which is another mandatory location you have to go through.

dex3108

There is hope zky!

How to cure a spider phobia in 2 minutes

Arachnophobes, rejoice! A new study suggests a cure to your fear of spiders is just two minutes away. The only problem is that it involves being near a tarantula.

Reporting in Biological Psychiatry, University of Amsterdam scientists say they built an experiment out of the idea of reconsolidation — that memories can be strengthened or weakened when activated, reports Treehugger.

Previous research showed a fearful memory could be forgotten if a drug was administered when that memory was activated, per a release. So researchers exposed 45 arachnophobes to a tarantula for two minutes, then gave each a dose of beta blocker propranolol, used to treat high blood pressure and heart conditions, or a placebo.

zkylon

zkylewd
Spiders are regular enemies that show up somewhat often, unfortunately. Enemies don't normally respawn, so there's that at least. As far as I know, enemy locations aren't randomized and are based on difficulty level, so you could use picture based guides to see what type of enemy you'll encounter next. It might help with the element of surprise/fear of randomly encountering spiders in areas.

Looking at the wiki page for spider enemies: there are some in the tutorial cave, there's a cave later on in a location called
Dyrford Crossing
that you should avoid, there's a dungeon called
Lle a Rhemen
that you should avoid too. Both of those areas feature sidequests, but if you want to avoid spiders as much as possible, it's best to avoid those areas. While the first part of Od Nua is mandatory to advance the main plot, you don't have to fight the spider queen, just don't venture too far into the first basement floor. There are locations missing from the list there, too. I remember encountering spiders in the first town's temple, which is another mandatory location you have to go through.
yeah, that's the issue for me. you can predict and prepare to a degree but it's so much work that it just makes playing the game not that much fun

even in something like dark souls 2 which was incredibly stressful and unpleasant at least i knew it was just this one area so i just looked at videos and memorized it and learned the quickest less anxiety-inducing path to get past it

wait they exposed 45 arachnophobes to tarantulas with some of them being given placebos instead of actual drugs?

that's fucking cruel and horrible

fuck everything about this, i don't even wanna imagine how traumatizing that shit was like for those people

dex3108

wait they exposed 45 arachnophobes to tarantulas with some of them being given placebos instead of actual drugs?

fuck everything about this, i don't even wanna imagine how traumatizing that shit was like for those people

There has to be some sacrifice :p Do you want cure or not? :D

How else would you test for the effectiveness of the drug though?

The people who sign up for these things are informed that they may receive placebos. They know in advance that it could happen

zkylon

zkylewd
There has to be some sacrifice :p Do you want cure or not? :D
notlikethis.gif

How else would you test for the effectiveness of the drug though?

The people who sign up for these things are informed that they may receive placebos. They know in advance that it could happen
doesn't matter, it's still an incredibly painful experience to inflict on a human being

like if it was me taking the test i'd ask for a gun in case i get a placebo so i can shoot myself with it

Hektor

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good.
I mean, what would you do if i wouldn't sacrifice some people for Tonatiuh every few weekends?

She is an imaginary character in an imaginary environment so....

....so the perfect waifu and perfect for the steamthread.

PBalfredo

What's Steam's return policy regarding gifts? I'm thinking of getting my dad Kerbal Space Program since he's an astronomy geek. But he's computer is pretty old. It can play Defense Grid 2, but it gets real framey, and Civ V straight up doesn't work. If it doesn't work for him, does he apply for the refund, or do I?

Also, was Kerbal on sale during Thanksgiving? Any sense waiting for the winter sale or should I get it for him now since I'm currently in a position to check to see if it works on his computer?

ExoSoul

Banned
What's Steam's return policy regarding gifts? I'm thinking of getting my dad Kerbal Space Program since he's an astronomy geek. But he's computer is pretty old. It can play Defense Grid 2, but it gets real framey, and Civ V straight up doesn't work. If it doesn't work for him, does he apply for the refund, or do I?

Also, was Kerbal on sale during Thanksgiving? Any sense waiting for the winter sale or should I get it for him now since I'm currently in a position to check to see if it works on his computer?

As long as he dosnt play it for more than 2h you can ask for a refund.

Some dude in Devil's Third called me a dog and said he'd put me down. Three minutes later in a cutscene, "This dog's off the leash" *jumps out of airplane*
latest

Lomax

They almost certainly get paid, and after the study is over, the people who got placebos get a chance to get the actual treatment. Be glad that there are people willing to suffer like that so that drugs like this can exist.

Soulflarz

Banned
>friend wants to do 2v2 RL
>says sure to be nice
>rank goes down from 445->402

holy shit
in 40m my friend actually managed to nearly hit me into the 300s in doubles on pc

Do not play with friends. It is not worth it.

Not to say I mind being 400 on PC
It's just a very slow uphill battle with mic-less people or such, and thats kind of a needless dent in 30m :/

A-at least my console rank is still in the 500s?

KarmaCow

How is Squarecells different from picross/nonograms?

I like Hexcells and love Picross but I just don't like playing those kind of puzzle games locked to a TV or computer.

Anteater

you all are just jelly that you never will be so cool as Lightning, or as popular, or as significant, or as godly, etc.

Anteater! I actually find Snow quite funny too, I thought I'm only one that don't outright hate him.
*brofist*?

he is silly, but in a funny way and somebody needs to be a hero, or at least should want to be, we are all filthy cynics that is all.

I didn't hate any of the ff13 characters at all, they're all a bit too exaggerated but I know the archetype they're going for

BadRamen

doesn't matter, it's still an incredibly painful experience to inflict on a human being

like if it was me taking the test i'd ask for a gun in case i get a placebo so i can shoot myself with it

Let us be rational here, I am sure the participants were made clear of all the facts and were volunteering/being compensated. You paint it to be just torturing people (if you couldn't handle getting the placebo, then I am sure they wouldn't want you to be participating, but who knows, maybe a placebo would work!), but that is just not how studies like this work and it's for a good cause! :D

Also, no spiders in Escape Dead Island, finished it recently.

ExoSoul

Banned
>friend wants to do 2v2 RL
>says sure to be nice
>rank goes down from 445->402

holy shit
in 40m my friend actually managed to nearly hit me into the 300s in doubles on pc

Do not play with friends. It is not worth it.

Not to say I mind being 400 on PC
It's just a very slow uphill battle with mic-less people or such, and thats kind of a needless dent in 30m :/

A-at least my console rank is still in the 500s?

Maybe...
I don't know
Play unranked now and then, learn to have fun and goof around instead of being a try-hard all the time?

zkylon

zkylewd
They almost certainly get paid, and after the study is over, the people who got placebos get a chance to get the actual treatment. Be glad that there are people willing to suffer like that so that drugs like this can exist.
Let us be rational here, I am sure the participants were made clear of all the facts and were volunteering/being compensated. You paint it to be just torturing people (if you couldn't handle getting the placebo, then I am sure they wouldn't want you to be participating, but who knows, maybe a placebo would work!), but that is just not how studies like this work and it's for a good cause! :D
eh, i don't want their blood in my hands

yeah i heard of this one, should give it a shot someday soon

Soulflarz

Banned
Maybe...
I don't know
Play unranked now and then, learn to have fun and goof around instead of being a try-hard all the time?

Friend wanted to do ranked

Also I don't think you realize how boring rl would be without "tryhard", since its a game where you're you know, trying to win...?
RL would be boring as hell if you never could do silly aerials and such nowadays at over 100 hours. Pretty much goes the same for any game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Considering I live on doing this kinda thing (although never for phobias) you're explicitly told what to expect for about an hour while reading along to an info packet/informed consent and are compensated pretty well. You know what you're getting into doing these.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm already tired of this conversation but no one with a real phobia would ever agree to this without hoping they'll get the real drug (or maybe they're poor as fuck idk?)

no one just willingly walks into a panic attack

edit: i'll clarify that i won't follow links that have spider in the title so i have no idea how that test worked or whatever, so i'm working off the quoted text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom