• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, I'm going to do the responsible thing instead of studying anymore
before I lose my mind
and just go eat chipotle, die of sickness, then finish LiS and toonami stuff tonight

i'm already tired of this conversation but no one with a real phobia would ever agree to this without hoping they'll get the real drug (or maybe they're poor as fuck idk?)

no one just willingly walks into a panic attack

edit: i'll clarify that i won't follow links that have spider in the title so i have no idea how that test worked or whatever, so i'm working off the quoted text
People with bad social anxiety walk into a panic attack everyday. Not to be dismissive of your phobia, but I figured I'd point that out.

zkylon

zkylewd
People with bad social anxiety walk into a panic attack everyday. Not to be dismissive of your phobia, but I figured I'd point that out.

they wouldn't if they could help it, that's my point entirely

that probably the ppl that get into these tests either don't have a choice (as in, really need the money) or don't know better (as in, they're confident they won't get a placebo)

knowing the kind of anxiety you can experience i'm not comfortable with either scenario

rtcn63

What if they're getting paid? Or just hopeful that they're developing a drug that will help them not shit bricks when Charlotte drops by for bathroom tea?

Deitus

they wouldn't if they could help it, that's my point entirely

that probably the ppl that get into these tests either don't have a choice (as in, really need the money) or don't know better (as in, they're confident they won't get a placebo)

knowing the kind of anxiety you can experience i'm not comfortable with either scenario

I think the issue is that in some cases people know that they can't avoid situations that would lead to a panic attack, at least not forever. They know that sometime in their life, they are going to be put in a situation where they encounter a spider (or something that looks/feels like a spider) that is going to trigger a panic attack. This probably will even happen multiple times in their life.

If these people can go into a controlled event, where they will be forced to confront their phobia, well it's undoubtedly going to be horrible in the short term. But if they can do it one time in a controlled environment, with medical professionals around to help them deal with the aftermath, and the end result is that a "cure" for their phobia is discovered that would prevent potentially dozens of similar panic attacks throughout their life, that might be worth it for some people. And what's better, is that they wouldn't have to forever live in fear of these situations.

Clearly it wouldn't be worth it to you, but for some people, having to experience a single attack is outweighed by the potential for a cure.

Pachimari

Tekken 7 Fated Retribution will come to PC next year. You heard it here first folks. Why? Because Akuma.

I still don't think we'll get Tekken for PC, no matter it being on Unreal Engine 4. It have been said time and time again at every single Tekken release, that it would eventually come to PC but I don't think Harada-san is interested in porting it honestly - Namco Bandai might be though.

I still don't think we'll get Tekken for PC, no matter it being on Unreal Engine 4. It have been said time and time again at every single Tekken release, that it would eventually come to PC but I don't think Harada-san is interested in porting it honestly - Namco Bandai might be though.

Namco Bandai said they were interested and I am pretty sure Harada liked the idea as well.

However Tekken 7 won't be out on PC next year and I doubt within the same 6 months as consoles.

just got through playing a couple Rocket League matches...I'm about fed up with playing with random teammates

I'm not the greatest player but some of these people have to be the absolute stupidest players I've ever seen...constantly hit from behind by teammates, people playing goal that decide to rush out the entire length of the field to stop the ball instead of just staying put, having 30 seconds to go and about to put the ball in the opponent's end to try and tie the game only to have a teammate come the opposite way and knock it back into our end

xGreg

Enjoy guys!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xGreg, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gorky 17 -- MB-A32353DA611357AB - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-257E43251E029529 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
Avadon: The Black Fortress -- MB-1FC8DF43C81675DB - Taken by TetraxShards. 3 entrants total.
Ruzh Delta Z -- MB-4967A110DD903D35 - Taken by Knurek. 1 entrants total.
Trine -- MB-069BA672CDCE260F - Taken by Shalashaska. 3 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Gish -- MB-C676A52F1F7967C4 - Taken by Kagemusha. 1 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-32F29BE032473822 - Taken by Mixed2k. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Gorky 17 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Crayon Physics Deluxe was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Avadon: The Black Fortress was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ruzh Delta Z was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1449976613z1.png

Sarcasm

I think fighters are actually one of the worst genres to play on the Steam controller, together with shmups. (Perhaps not coincidentally, I play both of those with an arcade stick)

... on the other hand, it's great for third person games! Not only is the camera control superior, the additional 2 buttons also help a lot. (I sometimes wish there were 4)

Xbox Elite Controller you get 4 more buttons...

zkylon

zkylewd
I think the issue is that in some cases people know that they can't avoid situations that would lead to a panic attack, at least not forever. They know that sometime in their life, they are going to be put in a situation where they encounter a spider (or something that looks/feels like a spider) that is going to trigger a panic attack. This probably will even happen multiple times in their life.

If these people can go into a controlled event, where they will be forced to confront their phobia, well it's undoubtedly going to be horrible in the short term. But if they can do it one time in a controlled environment, with medical professionals around to help them deal with the aftermath, and the end result is that a "cure" for their phobia is discovered that would prevent potentially dozens of similar panic attacks throughout their life, that might be worth it for some people. And what's better, is that they wouldn't have to forever live in fear of these situations.

Clearly it wouldn't be worth it to you, but for some people, having to experience a single attack is outweighed by the potential for a cure.
there already exists a cure for phobias, it's called exposure therapy. it's slow and very controlled, often involving medication. they don't throw you in a room with the thing that breaks your brain, it's a methoditcal, slow, gradual thing. for example, some of the things they had me do was draw spiders, talk about my feelings on each aspect of a spider like color, hair, length and shape of the legs, number of legs, etc. they also had me do regular therapy like talk about my parents' divorce and my relationships, etc.

i dropped out cos i wasn't in the right place or whatever, but that's the actual, real cure. there's no magic potion and it's not a fun road, but what can you do

the situation that's presented here is shock therapy+magical potions which sounds to me like random ridiculous internet article of little credibilty

also specific phobias (as in, the less crippling phobias compared to agoraphobia or really awful stuff like that) are often manageable and you can live a happy life even if sometimes shit sux. i don't get a panic attack if i see a tiny spider in wall, i can squash it. if i see a spider in a game i just don't play it. it might be a shitty time but it's a lot less of a problem than a freaking tarantula. even writing the word 'tarantula' maxes me feel a lot more anxious compared to regular 'spider'

Lomax

there already exists a cure for phobias, it's called exposure therapy. it's slow and very controlled, often involving medication. they don't throw you in a room with the thing that breaks your brain, it's a methoditcal, slow, gradual thing. for example, some of the things they had me do was draw spiders, talk about my feelings on each aspect of a spider like color, hair, length and shape of the legs, number of legs, etc. they also had me do regular therapy like talk about my parents' divorce and my relationships, etc.

i dropped out cos i wasn't in the right place or whatever, but that's the actual, real cure. there's no magic potion and it's not a fun road, but what can you do

the situation that's presented here is shock therapy+magical potions which sounds to me like random ridiculous internet article of little credibilty

also specific phobias (as in, the less crippling phobias compared to agoraphobia or really awful stuff like that) are often manageable and you can live a happy life even if sometimes shit sux. i don't get a panic attack if i see a tiny spider in wall, i can squash it. if i see a spider in a game i just don't play it. it might be a shitty time but it's a lot less of a problem than a freaking tarantula. even writing the word 'tarantula' maxes me feel a lot more anxious compared to regular 'spider'

This "magic potion" has been in development for a while now and is based on very sound principles. In a few years I expect it will be used for a wide range of things including not just phobias, but also addictions. The science is very sound and shouldn't be dismissed.

Finally got around to start playing F.E.A.R. seriously, damn the guns are really tight.

Shotgun and nailgun are great. I can't decide on the third weapon.

zkylon

zkylewd
This "magic potion" has been in development for a while now and is based on very sound principles. In a few years I expect it will be used for a wide range of things including not just phobias, but also addictions. The science is very sound and shouldn't be dismissed.
yea like i said i didn't visit the site but that's what it sounds to me

Finally got around to start playing F.E.A.R. seriously, damn the guns are really tight.

Shotgun and nailgun are great. I can't decide on the third weapon.
fear is one of those games i really hope someday comes back for real

Is that the kind of thing they do on those talk shows, where they have some people afraid of more common things like insects, spiders, snakes, and then just to spice things up they have the people afraid of things like olives or rubber Halloween masks?

Ruruja

Just finished XIII-2. I preferred the game overall to XIII even though the story was kind of insane (yes even more than the first one). Might dive straight into LR.

rtcn63

Is that the kind of thing they do on those talk shows, where they have some people afraid of more common things like insects, spiders, snakes, and then just to spice things up they have the people afraid of things like olives or rubber Halloween masks?

Hey Maury was good shit

She was probably the inspiration for Maria in Silent Hill 2.

yuraya

MGSV really is the ultimate grieving game. Invading someone's FOB to kill all their low rank soldiers. Then steal all their high rank soldiers and steal so much of their development base resources feels really fucked up. Its messed up knowing they spent hours n hours to grind all that stuff and now its taken away from them in a matter of minutes. On top of that you are rewarded with so much GMP ($) for successfully infiltrating their base. Next time they log in they see so much theft, death and carnage. I feel like shit when someone steals 5k fuel from me. And here I am stealing nearly 30k from someone else. It actually feels kinda good in a weird way.

The game really does live up to its title. Konami and Kojima are so evil for developing this Phantom Pain. Everybody suffers.

zkylon

zkylewd
cibele was cool, i liked it a lot

the game really captures the moment-to-moment feeling of being engaged in this tedious, brainless activity of just being a drone killing mobs while doing like the most awkward insecure lovey dovey talk, struggling to juggle your real life with this videogame that suddenly has taken over your relationship life as well, it's really well done and some of the details were like verbatim from my own internet -> real life relationship experiences. i wasn't quite all nina or all blake, but i felt a lot to relate to in both of them

i really like this vignette thing nina freeman has going on, i hope it's a trend that catches on for more games than just hers

also i dunno if it was my computer being kind of running a lot of stuff, but i had really really bad framerate during the mmo parts, down to like 12 fps or worse. it wasn't so bad since it's not much of an action game or a game game, really, but still kind of annoying

lol isn't that the hilarious maury thing?

_Clash_

Ergh, keen to play Helldivers, but I always love a good deal on these things.

ATM, in AU I'm looking at $27.

What's the GAF consensus on a Helldivers sale over the holiday period? Anyone find it cheaper the last couple of days?

Look, when I ran ME1 - 3, I stayed faithful to Ashley.

No time for galactic ho's in my universe.

My femshep was down with both Kaidan and Liara. When they confronted me, there was an option for "Can't I have you both?" but it was the renegade option I think, and I doubt it would have worked anyway, so I went with Kaidan and tried to let Liara down easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom