• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

A question about gamepads.

Are MS "x360 for pc" or whatever pads the only ones that use xinput? or do 3rd party ones use xinput now as well?

What does steam controller use?

I ask this because all my old directinput pads are a pain in the ass to use with modern OSs and modern games. I can never get them to work right.

So I was thinking about getting a knockoff chinese 360 pad. If they use xinput it should play nice with modern games, no?

I suggest not buying a knockoff. A wired 360 pad should last you a long time + plug and play!

A poop game in a garbage giveaway.

Does anybody know how much the devs have made from people giving this as a joke gift? It has to be a minor success at this point.

Someone's gotta throw themselves on that grenade. People will tell stories of Jalal's heroics this day and everyday following.

C4rter

That's me:
steamcommunity--c4rte95sf7.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh boy, top playtimes.

6d7fc20f4302eb88a32c5e0ec1e7ebce.png

I work a lot in RPG Maker, I play Gmod, Killing Floor, and L4D2 with friends a lot. I like Resident Evil 6 and have played the main campaign all the way through twice, various chapters with misc friends, and done a lot of mercenaries/multiplayer. Terraria is friends wanting to play, as is TF2. I have a second playthrough with friends going through in Borderlands 2. I played PayDay 2 a lot when it first came out.

Resident Evil 5 would be WAYYYY up there if it included by 360 time, I've played over 650 hours on the 360, I never seem to say no to friends to play the game co-op with them. XD; Resident Evil Revelations 1 is mostly playing the main story on Infernal and a lot of Raid Mode. Revelations 2 is just a game I took my time in, played Raid Mode, and did bonus things in.

Evil Within is just a really long game, that time is my blind playthrough of the main game and its DLC, and then an Akumu run that is partial, and taking time to find all the map pieces before their locations were known.

---

Evil Within is also tied with three other games at 45 hours:

cddc26fd0f0c9498ffcedeb5b6f6acce.png

Killing Floor 2 I play with friends, Deadly Premonition I love and most of that is me doing a 100% playthrough (all side-quests and taking my time and enjoying). Alan Wake is from two playthroughs on PC, both of them taking my time and enjoying it (it's a game I enjoyed, if this included my 360 time it'd be over 150 hours easily).

S1n1st3r

Banned
And
AdVenture Capitalist w/ 160 hours
too.

Is that what the hidden game is? Why hide it. Lots of people play clickers.

Its also a question of availabiltiy in many countries.

Most 360 pads here are sold grey market and marked up. I'm not paying 100$ for a 360 pad.

But I could spring for a 10$ pad from here since it ships to my country. Free shipping on this as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...for-Xbox-Slim-for-360-PC-for/32299906714.html

Might wait for christmas sale.

I suggest not buying a knockoff. A wired 360 pad should last you a long time + plug and play!

Steam controller is recognised as xinput, but it isn't truly, iirc. SteelSeries Stratus XL is one I remember off the top of my head, and it's bluetooth. It's 3gc was Direct Input, but they picked up.

Some Logitech pads are x-input, that's all I know.
Not sure about Razer, Steelseries, etc though.

Thanks for the input.

I'll wait for a sale on 360 or logitech xinput pads I guess.

derExperte

why is it sometimes g2a is scum of the earth but sometimes like a few days ago it's omg this game got taken off steam thank god for g2a

?

try to be consistent fam

I'm gonna buy Hatred on G2A and vote it my SteamGOTY without playing and there's nothing anyone can do. Time to bring the system down.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Star Citizen's funding heads into hyperdrive, surpasses $100 million

It might have hit its last stretch goal $35 million ago, but Star Citizen's pace of funding isn't showing signs of stopping any time soon.

At the time of writing, Star Citizen has gathered $100,040,777 in funding, with 1,087,196 backers putting their money behind the dream.

In 2014, Star Citizen actually earned more money from backers than all videogame Kickstarter campaigns combined. It's impressive stuff.

While it might seem like a silly amount of money to develop a game, it's in line with a lot of triple-A releases that don't share the same boggling scope.

For example, Disney Infinity cost more than $100 million to develop (though presumably much of that is licensing), while console FPS Destiny reportedly cost $140 million (via Kotaku article on triple-A development cost figures).

Factor in Star Citizen's all-star cast, and it could end up being one of the most expensive games of all time.

S1n1st3r

Banned
I'm gonna buy Hatred on G2A and vote it my SteamGOTY without playing and there's nothing anyone can do. Time to bring the system down.

Why do people hate hatred?

Its Postal 1 in a modern engine. I really like that type of game. Basically a GTA kill frenzy extended into an entire game.

derExperte

Why do people hate hatred?

Its Postal 1 in a modern engine. I really like that type of game. Basically a GTA kill frenzy extended into an entire game.

Because you can only massacre thousands of virtual people if you have a compelling reason like being a poor immigrant who wants to earn money to go bowling or are Nathan Drake.

#voteHatred

Its also a question of availabiltiy in many countries.

Most 360 pads here are sold grey market and marked up. I'm not paying 100$ for a 360 pad.

But I could spring for a 10$ pad from here since it ships to my country. Free shipping on this as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...for-Xbox-Slim-for-360-PC-for/32299906714.html

Might wait for christmas sale.

Dont!

I had two different directly from China. The quality is bad and I can tell you that in about half a year one analogstick wont work anymore. And especially dont order from Aliexpress, since they sell the cheapest of the cheapest there.

OmarYusaf

Because you can only massacre thousands of virtual people if you have a compelling reason like being a poor immigrant who wants to earn money to go bowling or are Nathan Drake.

#voteHatred

Hatred being AO is such bullshit.

Its no different from most AAA shooters, yet somehow gets bumped up from a mature rating.

Dont!

I had two different directly from China. The quality is bad and I can tell you that in about half a year one analogstick wont work anymore. And especially dont order from Aliexpress, since they sell the cheapest of the cheapest there.

Hmmmm. How long do real 360 controllers last?

Because my meaty hands chew through all kinds of peripherals in like a year anyway. Mice, keyboards you name it.

My steel series mouse only lasted as long as a regular cheap 5$ chinese mouse, so I decided not to spend good money on that kind of stuff anymore and just buy cheap replacements every 6-12 months.

accel

I'd post my list, but unless we'd only be talking about last year or so, it'd be so hopelessly dominated by WoW, it's not even funny. MMORPGs are like that...

Dr Dogg

Endless posting of lists is not discussion and as much as some what to take potshots at the quality of Gaming Side at least some of the more cookey threads over there have some text to follow up their thread. Apart from Dusk no one of this page who has posted a list of what I assume is their most played Steam games has given any context, impressions or thoughts on why they are there. And no one is talking about each other's lists but just posting thier own. Is this a better standard or discussion than "Fallout 4 is a perfect game"?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
u4CDFxs.png

Pretty sure I spent more time with Pillars of Eternity though, not sure why that isn't there.
Even weirder is that I don't even like Spelunky THAT much, it's just a great game to play while watching TV.
Same with Nuceal Throne and Isaac but I like those games more. Spelunky was just there at the right place and time.

Also I have no idea how I spent 109 hours with Skyrim, yet can't remember a damn thing about the game. It's the Bethesda magic, I guess.
Seriously, ask me anything. Name of an NPC, some place except a city, a quest, anything. It's all gone. Poof

Pachimari

Endless posting of lists is not discussion and as much as some what to take potshots at the quality of Gaming Side at least some of the more cookey threads over there have some text to follow up their thread. Apart from Dusk no one of this page who has posted a list of what I assume is their most played Steam games has given any context, impressions or thoughts on why they are there. And no one is talking about each other's lists but just posting thier own. Is this a better standard or discussion than "Fallout 4 is a perfect game"?

Yeah I agree with this. I'm just skipping all of the lists, there's no context at all, so it's not interesting to me.

Lomax

How do I sort a list with playtime?

Is it safe to start crafting badges for christmas or should I wait?

If you click your games list from your profile there's a link to sort by playtime. Though I think it defaults to that anyway. And yes, people are making badges for cards now, though the cards already aren't worth much.

Unrelated edit: I'm really tempted to quote every single list and comment on each one, just to spite the pointless whining about them. Boohoo, lists ate your children.

Hmm the number of games in my library went down from 535 yesterday to 531 today. Probably free weekends ending?

(edit) Just some shortcuts for non-steam games I forgot I had deleted yesterday actually.

XShagrath

Yeah I agree with this. I'm just skipping all of the lists, there's no context at all, so it's not interesting to me.
Having the pretty pictures has gotten me to check out a few games. I've got zero problems with people posting lists.

I know, I know. I'm a heathen.

derExperte

I wish I could play Nuclear Throne but first it froze right after start (known problem), then I changed something in some .ini (thanks Steam forum) but now it crashes every few minutes (lots of reports about lots of crashes). Maybe they should've done something like Early Access to iron out the kinks before the sudden surprise-release.... oh wait.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Should have bought the Humble Weekly when the BTA was $5.xx :/

neoemonk

I don't know why but I went on an Ys franchise collecting spree a while back, despite my only experience with the series being Ys III on the SNES growing up. I do have fond memories of it though.

I fired up Ys I this morning and found it to be delightful. I like the art style and the music of the game. I think I've collected all of them except VI and the one that hasn't come out in the US yet, Ys V I believe.

I'm really digging the JRPG renaissance on Steam right now.

I don't know why but I went on an Ys franchise collecting spree a while back, despite my only experience with the series being Ys III on the SNES growing up. I do have fond memories of it though.

I fired up Ys I this morning and found it to be delightful. I like the art style and the music of the game. I think I've collected all of them except VI and the one that hasn't come out in the US yet, Ys V I believe.

I'm really digging the JRPG renaissance on Steam right now.
Awwww Ys!

One of us! :D

Also, Ys VI was out this April, Ys V is the only one not out, and that game is in desperate need of a remake.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312540/

Ys 7 and memories of Celceta are two games not on Steam, unfortunately. Only available on PC in China.

Be sure to check out the Trails in the Sky series if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom