• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

It is kind of fun to see the most played game everyone has. Mine has to be Diablo 3, I've never played a game more than 200 hours and I'm probably way past that in D3. Neverwinter Night probably has alot of hours, with all of it's excellent modules.

Danj

Now that there's no Daily Deals or Flash Sales, what's the procedure for Steam Sales? How am I supposed to know what to buy?!

Sch1sm

Should have bought the Humble Weekly when the BTA was $5.xx :/

You and me both. I still picked it up, though. At $8.25. I haven't paid above $4.xx since the Star Wars bundle in February. Still a deal, though, imo.

Now that there's no Daily Deals or Flash Sales, what's the procedure for Steam Sales? How am I supposed to know what to buy?!

Buy everything
on your wishlist.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Total War Battles: KINGDOM Exclusive Humble Banner Heraldry & In-Game Resources (1000 Silver & 1000 Stone) -- MB-41E135E13707E4FC - Taken by Booki
Total War Arena 30 Days Premium Account and Exclusive Humble Warrior Greek Shield (available in Closed Beta) -- MB-57C743A011E88242 - Taken by Booki
Total War: ARENA Premium Spartan Hoplite Unit -- MB-537C0DCE3904F269 - Taken by Belgarion

XShagrath

It is kind of fun to see the most played game everyone has. Mine has to be Diablo 3, I've never played a game more than 200 hours and I'm probably way past that in D3. Neverwinter Night probably has alot of hours, with all of it's excellent modules.
Diablo 3 is probably way up there for me as well. I've got 700 hours in Rocksmith 2014 though, and I know I pumped well over 1000 hours into Rock Band 3 on the 360 back in the day.

Ban Puncher

Buy a Vita.

6bRwU.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You just have to figure out what games interest you, and also being part of a community like SteamGAF can help as we can tell you what's what in different areas you may not have expected.

For example, I'm an absolute horror enthusiast as I'm sure I've made clear time and time again. I can recommend games generally, but if someone came to me personally I'd just learn a bit of what they're looking for in a horror game, or what games they liked/disliked in the genre, and some favorites in general, and recommend what I think they'd be interested in.

And like me, there's others here who are always up to bring attention to some game or another, I even play games that aren't horror games sometimes. There's been so many Steam Games released recently, a lot of them get overlooked, so its times like these little communities like this are nice to raise awareness of titles we might not have noticed on our own.

I think the issue is that in some cases people know that they can't avoid situations that would lead to a panic attack, at least not forever. They know that sometime in their life, they are going to be put in a situation where they encounter a spider (or something that looks/feels like a spider) that is going to trigger a panic attack. This probably will even happen multiple times in their life.

If these people can go into a controlled event, where they will be forced to confront their phobia, well it's undoubtedly going to be horrible in the short term. But if they can do it one time in a controlled environment, with medical professionals around to help them deal with the aftermath, and the end result is that a "cure" for their phobia is discovered that would prevent potentially dozens of similar panic attacks throughout their life, that might be worth it for some people. And what's better, is that they wouldn't have to forever live in fear of these situations.

Clearly it wouldn't be worth it to you, but for some people, having to experience a single attack is outweighed by the potential for a cure.
Agree and want to add. When anxiety evolves into a phobia, it leads to behavior of avoiding situations facing fears. Panic attacks truly are a horrific experience, it's only understandable. But at some point one might realize that phobia dictates lifestyle and prohibits many things. It can also very well lead to a very secluded and destructive lifestyle where one is no longer capable of working, traveling, social interactions, "living normally". In those cases people very well can decide to face their horrific phobia, knowing very well how terrible an experience they are going into, at the prospect of changing their whole future into a more pleasant and worthwhile direction. I'm not of the idea that forcing people into this is productive though and one has to make that decision by themselves so that the will to pull through the very tiring and exhausting confrontation therapy. I don't wish anyone to go through such things as phobia. It is not a nice experience.
Souls combat should be standard in every game.
No.
[...] In the end it is a very slow and deliberate combat system. Not automatically suited best for all action games just because it works in Souls games.
Urrgghhhh just stop with the fucking lists! What ever plonker started this latest spammy turn should know better.
Urge to post list rises
;)
No more "multiplats" that exclude PC only.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
You and me both. I still picked it up, though. At $8.25. I haven't paid above $4.xx since the Star Wars bundle in February. Still a deal, though, imo.

Since the BTA is $9.27 right now, I'm even considering getting the $15 tier. I'm just not 100% sure if I'll enjoy Total War :p

Parsnip

Lists you say? Sorry doc dogg.
FreshVeggie probably has a million hours in Dark Souls.

I don't think that Batman there is legit. I idled the cards out of it with the old method before idlemaster, so it's higher than it would be normally. I also cut away RE Revelations that I've never played, only idled in.

If I cut it away Batman, the actual 10th on the list would be Deadly Premonition, which I actually need to finish at some point.

Everything else checks out though. Even Hitman Absolution.

Danj

Buy a Vita.

I already own one. Bought one when the screen downgrade was announced for the new model.

Buy everything
on your wishlist.

You just have to figure out what games interest you, and also being part of a community like SteamGAF can help as we can tell you what's what in different areas you may not have expected.

The problem that I have is that I've used my wishlist more as a way to "bookmark" games I might be interested in, so there's probably actually a lot of stuff that's on there that I'm not sufficiently interested in to want to buy.

What would be cool would be if there was a way to filter the list by, say, genre or something. So like if I'm in the mood to buy an RPG I could just show the RPGs on my wishlist and see if there was any I wanted to buy. Is there any tool or website that can do this? Enhanced Steam doesn't do it, is there anything else that does?

I'm almost done with the demo of Paint It Back. I think I like the abstractness of the (hex)cells games more, but other than that it's a marvelous puzzle game, with a ton of content. I will definitely get it during the next sale (not that it's too expensive at the normal price).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
List of why lists sucks:

1) you can make a way more interesting and enjoyable
2) argument (or express yourself in general) by actually forming
3) nice sentences with your mind and fingers

I'm almost done with the demo of Paint It Back. I think I like the abstractness of the (hex)cells games more, but other that than it's a marvelous puzzle game, with a ton of content. I will definitely get it during the next sale (not that it's too expensive at the normal price).

The biggest discount it's had so far is only 15% and that was at launch

Drakhyrr

Mine is: go to SteamDB, sales, sort by discount, see everything that's at least 75% off, and make sure it's the highest discount ever.

Anything that doesn't fall into these criteria can wait for a better sale.

neoemonk

Awwww Ys!

One of us! :D

Also, Ys VI was out this April, Ys V is the only one not out, and that game is in desperate need of a remake.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312540/

Ys 7 and memories of Celceta are two games not on Steam, unfortunately. Only available on PC in China.

Be sure to check out the Trails in the Sky series if you can!

I think VI was released after my little spree had ended, so I'll scoop it up next time it goes on sale.

I have Memories of Celceta and Trails in the Sky on Vita...although I do keep buying games. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Knurek

I'm almost done with the demo of Paint It Back. I think I like the abstractness of the (hex)cells games more, but other than that it's a marvelous puzzle game, with a ton of content. I will definitely get it during the next sale (not that it's too expensive at the normal price).

Took me 21 hours to finish the game, and while two or three hours of those were achievement hunts, it's still quite a lot.
Especially when you consider I've been playing nonograms for the last 15 years, and, suffice to say, I'm quite skilled at solving them quickly.

Path of Exile
2,201 hrs on record

:(

accel

A word in defense of posting lists (within reason - and I didn't post mine) - 90% of the reason I read SteamGAF is exchange of opinions about games, and, believe it or not, half of the value is just knowing what games are out there and what they are about. Lists with played time - as long as that played time can be trusted (ie, it's way past idling time) - give a quick grasp of what games people are playing in general, and many top 10s contain surprises. I completely agree some words about the list would be even better, but even without anything else, lists are somewhat useful.

A word in defense of posting lists (within reason - and I didn't post mine) - 90% of the reason I read SteamGAF is exchange of opinions about games, and, believe it or not, half of the value is just knowing what games are out there and what they are about. Lists with played time - as long as that played time can be trusted (ie, it's way past idling time) - give a quick grasp of what games people are playing in general, and many top 10s contain surprises. I completely agree some words about the list would be even better, but even without anything else, lists are somewhat useful.

Like you said, some words or context would help promote more discussion which is the only reason why it receives some negative posts as it is just people posting lists with irrelevant context, and some are posting for the sake of it because it's the "in" thing right now.

Also hi!

OmarYusaf

Path of Exile
2,201 hrs on record

:(

If thats bumming you out, ask the people from the dota 2 thread to post their stats.

That should cheer you up.

if there are no ingame micro-transactions then you can only get them by crafting booster packs

Is'nt that a catch-22? Dont you need cards to craft in the first place?

Is it free or free 2 play? F2P requires you to spend money to get card drops.

Its free-free. Nothing to buy. A short humorous walking simulator type game.

Sober

List of why lists sucks:

1) you can make a way more interesting and enjoyable
2) argument (or express yourself in general) by actually forming
3) nice sentences with your mind and fingers
One thing I learned is that most gamers are terrible at basic sentences much less argumentative ones. The kind of arguments I generally see from gamers are when they circle the wagons and go fanboy on everyone. Or arguing list positions.

accel

I thought this maybe too..I guess I didn't realize I never got that update. Thanks

It *is* installing a new version of Windows, your old one is going to be backed up similarly to how it is backed up during an upgrade from, say, Windows 7 - you can delete the backup later (it's going to be pretty big) using a system tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom