• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
CWLMIzfVAAA-tyI.png:large

SKELETON WAR NOW FUCKBOYS

That Isometric Fallout thread is a god damn shambles. Same reason why we rarely get turn based JRPGs anymore, people think it's an antiquated system. Annoys me so much.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
"i can't stand it" does not equal "antiquated".

It's passive. You should be involved in a game. Not watching X-Files on Netflix and pressing buttons to grind.
Most battles on any given turn based RPG are useless grind. Action RPG's just do it because it's a characteristic of the game, and idiots rage at any progress in gaming.

It's passive. You should be involved in a game. Not watching X-Files on Netflix and pressing buttons to grind.
Most battles on any given turn based RPG are useless grind. Action RPG's just do it because it's a characteristic of the game, and idiots rage at any progress in gaming.

MFW Persona 4 is a useless grind.

dex3108

That thread about GTA V as highest rated game for last 3 years really hurts to read. It's a good game but praise that it is still getting is unbelievable. There is so much better games out there.

Durante

That's an idiotic stance. Just because you apparently only played bad turn based RPGs doesn't mean that the system is inherently bad.

MFW Persona 4 is a useless grind.
Well, most battles in Persona 4 are a boring grind.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
That's an idiotic stance. Just because you apparently only played bad turn based RPGs doesn't mean that the system is inherently bad.

I've played many a turn based rpg's. Grind as gameplay is ridiculous, but neither should it be QTE, or combo button simplicity.

You monster.

I always enjoy fighting in that game.

What JRPGS have a really good turn based battle system in your opinion? I need more to play. Been playing Trails and while I do like it, the combat is super slow and pointless after a while so I just run past most enemies when the anti-grind xp kicks in.

Messiah

I enjoy pure turn based battles a whole lot more in general. One of the reason Final Fantasy X is my favourite game of the Final Fantasy series despite all its whack.

I don't mind grinding either though. Random battles on the other hand can stay a thing of the past.

Edit: Considering X-COM, an isometric turn-based game, is one of my all time favourites I find the sentiment that isometric and turn-based games are relics of the past rather sad.

I enjoy pure turn based battles a whole lot more in general. One of the reason Final Fantasy X is my favourite game of the Final Fantasy series despite all its whack.

I don't mind grinding either though. Random battles on the other hand can stay a thing of the past.

I don't mind grinding and I actually like random battles but every game should have the Bravely Default method of just turning it off or to 2x the rate. No reason not to.

fantomena

The JRPG genre has really never appealed to me, but the only games who did were Ni No Kuni, Persona 3, 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Persona 4 is fucking great though. Still hope it one day arrives on PC. But with Atlus I don't even know if it will arrive in my lifeitme.

accel

I enjoy pure turn based battles a whole lot more in general.

I enjoy both real-time and turn-based battles, they strike different chords. What makes real-time tick for me is on-the-spot decision making and precision, which are both things I love, and what makes turn-based tick for me is the puzzle-like aspect of figuring out things that seem nigh impossible, which I love as well. There's no "either / or", both are great.

KainXVIII

I can remember only one good turn based combat in JRPG - Breath of Fire V (but sadly, game flawed any many other aspects)

Durante

BoF:DQ is a fantastic game.

It's only flaw is that it's just too good.
Joking obviously, but I can't think of many flaws of BoF:DQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom