• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Homeworld®: Deserts of Kharak™ (Shipbreakers)

Wb8oAei.jpg

FloatOn

I recall the discussion about 'does spoilers fuck with your enjoyment?' here before. I'm firmly in the 'Yes' camp for story based entertainment. Movies, Games, Books, etc.

I get your pizza example, but i'll tell you if I get pizza and I didn't know I was getting pizza....I'm pretty fucking stoked.

yes yes, surprises are nice and all but it's not a deal breaker for me

maybe I'm weird

well if i waited 32 years for a good pizza I would not want to know that other people ate my pizza and how great each moment of that meal was, too.

Rather just hold off and get that damn pizza for myself

oipic

I used to be bothered by spoilers but then I realized knowing something ahead of time doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment it just makes it different.

If I know ahead of time that I'm going to have pizza for dinner I'm still going to enjoy that pizza when I eat it.

I hear you, but rare is the pizza that's a finely-crafted narrative experience, with deliberate pacing and written in such a way as to guide you through a story and journey across the duration of a couple of hours. I'd be particularly looking to savour every moment of a pizza I've waited 32 years for, too.

You know that thing that kids do where you tell them not to do THAT, but you didn't use hyper-explicit wording so they find a way to do exactly THAT but without actually doing THAT directly, and then they puff themselves up and feel proud while you ask them why the fuck they did THAT when there's truly no gain except to do it?

That thing sucks.

Durante

I love that Durante is going toe to toe with anyone that dares question the idea of the PC version being definitive. Even Arkham Knight! Get em!
Note that my definition for "definitive" includes unofficial modification/patching as well as some period of HW improvement. Because those are all things possible on PC by its nature which aren't possible on closed platforms.

If you use a definition of "superior at the very moment of launch" I guess it only applies to around 98% of all multiplatform games. If you go by "eventually superior" it's closer to 99.9% in the past decade. (I can't think of the 0.1%, but I'm sure someone can come up with something)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Has Firefox disabled anybody else's Enhanced Steam addin?

Is there an update available I'm not aware of?

You can redownload the extension from firefox.enhancedsteam.com and it will be signed by Mozilla and should work just fine.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cheers jshackles, you do good work! :D

Thanks! Hopefully Mozilla gets the ball rolling again with their WebExtensions API so that I can bring the Chrome version to Firefox sometime soon. The rate their going, it'll be this time next year before that's possible.

jshackles

Note that my definition for "definitive" includes unofficial modification/patching as well as some period of HW improvement. Because those are all things possible on PC by its nature which aren't possible on closed platforms.

durante plz fix final fantasy 6 k thx bye

j/k - I'm sure you get this a lot though

I love that Durante is going toe to toe with anyone that dares question the idea of the PC version being definitive. Even Arkham Knight! Get em

Funny thing here is that Arkham Knight is the best version of the game. Crappy PC port, but the best version. Maybe just being on PC is sort of like winning by default but still.

Sort of how Dark Souls PC port was panned across the board, even when the vanilla game (sans GFWL problems) is easily better than any other version of the game just by being able to bruteforce through Blighttown FPS problems.

zkylon

zkylewd
jshackles is a terrible human being

he hates firefox, never listens to any of my suggestions, wears a fedora, makes me uncomfortable with uncontrollably sexy naked game of thrones man

awful

Grief.exe

For the astute among you, notice how every one of them is actually just 720x480 but with the latter 2 window boxed respectively in line with the additional horizontal resolution. So that's 2 resolutions which are just pointless. As a bonus here's this too...

Now you can have the authentic PAL experience with a sixth of the screen taken up with letterboxing. Funnily you might recognise 720x480 and 720x576 as yes they're the NTSC and PAL broadcast formats for widescreen content. I wouldn't be surprised if background art is still designed for the non square 256x224 NTSC SNES resolution and then butched horribly by this game. The quest for perfectly scalable pixel art games on PC continues...

So if you set your monitor resolution to a multiple of 480p or 576p then force the game to comply with your desktop resolution?

For example 480*3=1440.

I've hit a wall in my Borderlands 2 progression. Everything is the same; it's the ultimate repetition.

Meanwhile, Xenoblade Chronicles X is pretty much the opposite-and-yet-not. It's glorious.

he hates firefox, never listens to any of my suggestions, wears a fedora, makes me uncomfortable with uncontrollably sexy naked game of thrones man

awful

Today is Bully Day so I guess this post works.

Dr Dogg

So if you set your monitor resolution to a multiple of 480p or 576p then force the game to comply with your desktop resolution?

For example 480*3=1440.

Well at 2, 4, 8, 16 x etc sure the background art would scale exactly the same as 720x480 but character sprites would probably look fucking awful as they're interpolated differently. Urge to pick up a CRT monitor again is rising!

Jeepers! Played half an hour DeadCore. Everything moves so fast, I got dizzy *~*

With many things I like, I overdid it with Souls this year. Played DS1 then DS2+DLC then DS1NG+. With only 2-3 games in between. Feeling burnt out.
Gonna try out some other games but not sure which. Maybe watching a movie would be better.
---

TNG is pretty dope though. Might be worth it lol

awful

I started watching Game of Thrones yesterday and all i could think of was Jshackles and Atraveller

jshackles

awful

Don't bully

neoemonk

A friend gifted me the SF V beta on Steam today and I was all excited. I installed it and fired it up...and the servers are turned off.

Hektor

You mean Phantom Break?

Don't you mean phantom brave?

But yes, that, danganronpa, Stranger of Sword City and i think one or two other games as well (Plus the banned one).

I'm just kinda surprised how fast other devs have been putting up their games on steam since then, like GG XRD, but not even an official announcement coming from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom