• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually on Amazon right now but it's more or less out of stock right now. I don't think ill get it though, as nice as native Xinput sounds. If I get another controller this year it might be another stick that I can actually use on PC.

Well it is in stock but through someone else on Amazon.
Be warned, AmiAmi is very strict about cancellations. Like, literally, you'll get banned from purchasing from them, if you cancel too many times. I also believe they don't except refunds.

Ah I didn't even know.

Be warned, AmiAmi is very strict about cancellations. Like, literally, you'll get banned from purchasing from them, if you cancel too many times. I also believe they don't except refunds.

Ah I didn't even know.

Yeah, they don't take kindly to people canceling orders. Many people have been banned from them for canceling preorders. That's not to say it will happen to everyone, but it is a well-known thing.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Updated my comment with a small summary. I understand that you might not want to watch a 15 min video from some random dude, just didn't think it thorugh when posting it.

Just the usual don't listen to Tim Chafer vid, had lots of upvotes on /r/pcgaming so thought he was bigger or someone more special.

Parsnip

I mean it's perfectly fine to not trust Schafer because of x y or z, but "pissing away" the Broken Age money is obviously not what actually happened with that game, and that's about all I needed to hear to not continue watching the video.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I mean it's perfectly fine to not trust Schafer because of x y or z, but "pissing away" the Broken Age money is obviously not what actually happened with that game, and that's about all I needed to hear to not continue watching the video.

Yeah the game suffered from feature creep from the kickstarter.
He got all this money and the game he wanted to do with it was absolutely not on the scale he had thought from the beginning.

L.O.R.D

Cool. I think there are some new screens.

Noticed this on the page.
AVUtXpo.png

How is the game already playable?

SAM maybe ?
you can launch any game from your library to get cards
sweet , drop cards before the game launch.

hmm , what is this ? it's blocked

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Elite: Dangerous' David Braben has some kind words for Star Citizen

Frontier Developments founder and CEO David Braben has tried to spread a bit of festive goodwill in an update post on the Elite: Dangerous forums.

Along with recapping Elite: Dangerous’ journey and the launch of Horizons, he gives a friendly shout out to his fellow space developers working on games like No Man’s Sky, Infinity: Battlescape and, in particular, Star Citizen, defending the latter from what he sees as unfair criticism.

“What both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are trying to do is very hard indeed. Both games are incredibly ambitious. I am proud and excited about what we are doing, but what they are doing is ambitious too, and I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen when it is finished. What we are both doing is new; we are trailblazing. The scope of both is vast and quite different, and neither have been done before, so there is no right answer for either of the approaches. It is frustrating to see some of the criticism of Star Citizen online. We should applaud when someone tries something that is hard, that hasn’t been done, not discourage them.”

Star Citizen has found itself in a lot of crosshairs this year, especially developer Derek Smart’s, for what some people perceive as a lack of transparency. Despite the criticism, Star Citizen has still seen backers pledge over $100 million, funding the development of the undeniably ambitious game.

“Game development is hard, with a great many independent components to get right,” Braben continues. “The very best development looks easy, but this is because of a great deal of careful planning by very experienced people behind the scenes working hard to make it happen. Like a swan, there may be frantic paddling of feet underwater, out of sight, but the view on the surface is one of serene beauty with barely a ripple. We are very proud of what we do, we have an incredible community supporting the game, and we have an amazing future.”

Star Citizen’s planetary landing feature was recently revealed, and Elite: Dangerous’ new season of expansions, Horizons, allows players to get out of their ships and speed around any moons and worlds they might find on their space adventures.

Corpekata

Banned
I noticed in the reddit thread and others on here too, there sure are a lot of people that bought Spacebase and were sooooo disappointed when it cratered.

Which is weird given the game was a total bomb in the first place.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I noticed in the reddit thread and others on here too, there sure are a lot of people that bought Spacebase and were sooooo disappointed when it cratered.

It did sell 160k copies which is a pretty big amount.

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Abyss Odyssey -- MB-15A1821ACD2E9426 - Taken by someguyinahat Trivia Question: What band was Jeff Lynne in?

jefflynne.jpg

Sini

That's now, and after it was given to everyone that owned Hack N Slash (which now has 200k owners), was sold for a dollar, and was in 2 humble bundles.

The reason it petered out development wise was because nobody bought the damn thing.
I bought it and I'm upset.

Parsnip

Spacebase was handled quite poorly, absolutely.
It seems like they were expecting it to sell better and were going to keep funding the game from the sales, which is a pretty poor idea in the long run. I can sympathize with anyone burned by it, but hey, early access is always a risk. We just don't expect early access games to go to shit by these well established companies.

But as far as I'm concerned, both DF's Kickstarters delivered and then some (the DFA docu is great), so I have no problems backing Psychonauts 2 either.

MUnited83

For you.

From what I've seen most people doing the complaining never backed any of the projects. Its quite amusing.

How is 160k sales a "total bomb"?

It did sell 160k copies which is a pretty big amount.
Humble bundles + given for free for Hack and Slash owners. Yes, it is a bomb.

This looks pretty cool.

Intergalactic Race Warriors

"Intergalactic Race Warriors is a side scrolling combat racing game set in outer space. It's a violent grand prix which takes place on a wide range of planets. You’ll be racing in all the corners of the universe.

Think of it as Sonic meets Mario Kart meets Mad Max meets NFS:U (<3).
"

https://s3.amazonaws.com/steamgreenlight/boostin55.gif

https://s3.amazonaws.com/steamgreenlight/garage2.gif

https://s3.amazonaws.com/steamgreenlight/derp.gif

https://s3.amazonaws.com/steamgreenlight/cluckdrive.gif

Tizoc

I wonder if there were any other Japanese game developers that had wanted to get interviewed for the New Yorker?
Kojima's his own kind of Otaku I guess.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Hideo Kojima says Japanese games are a "hard sell" to global audiences

Metal Gear maestro Hideo Kojima, who recently left Konami to start a new Kojima Productions, had some interesting things to say in a recent interview with The New Yorker on the state of the Japanese videogame industry, and the prospect of life as an independent game maker.

Kojima was inspired to make games largely by Nintendo's Famicon console, but the technological limitations of the era were very much a constraining a factor. That's not nearly so much of an issue now, but the advent of new and more powerful gaming system has led to another, entirely different sort of problem.

"Games matured beyond simple interactive toys and into a rich medium that could deliver drama and other deeper elements," he said. "At that point, Japanese games became a hard sell: their sensibilities and cultural identity were distinct and unrelatable."

The only way to create "high-end" games is to develop for the global market, but that requires a management team that has a "keen sense for what will work, and [is] willing to take risks," he continued. That sounds like essentially the opposite of Konami, which recently made a well-documented move away from triple-A game development in favor of an increased focus on mobile games.

"If you’re only focused on the profits immediately in front of you, the times will leave you behind," Kojima said. "It becomes impossible to catch up again."

Kojima seems to be looking forward to life at the head of an independent studio, saying that he'll now be able to "do what I want with much more speed." He also hinted that he'll be a lot more outspoken than he was previously. "When I was in a company, my personal statements could be taken as the over-all direction of the company," he said. "As such, I couldn’t say just anything."

Sony announced earlier this week that Kojima's next game, whatever it turns out to be, will launch as a PlayStation console exclusive. It's already confirmed that it will come to the PC eventually, though, following the expiration of the exclusivity period, the length of which hasn't been revealed. That's very good news: Kojima's last game for Konami, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, was our pick for 2015 Game of the Year. We'll be rolling out awards across all sorts of other categories over the following days. Who knows, other games might win big ones too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom