• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

so, follow me on this:

so EA visits CDPR. The internet being a reactionary bunch, everyone pisses their pants and thinks that EA is about to gobble up another beloved PC developer. All things are, of course, denied as afaik nothing has come from that meeting.

So, here are things we know about EA: for one, they have the Star Wars license. And like a good corporation should, they want to exploit the thing to the max. So they released an online FPS using their best FPS developer, they're working on a third person adventure game with their best TPS studio and some great talent coming onboard for that...but where's the RPG?

So the first line of thinking one would take is that U SO STOOPID BIOWARE DUH but Bioware seems to really have their hands tied up with the Mass Effect reboot. So much so that we're now in the 3rd year of this gen and we've seen practically nothing coming out of them.

So, you're EA, you've got this license for a limited time, and you want to make an RPG, right? So, why not hire CDPR to do the work? Hell, a lot of what's in the Witcher games already transfers over to Star Wars really well: a sword based combat system with force-like abilities, a large and varied world with colorful characters, great writing with plenty of moral conundrums to struggle through, etc. It wouldn't take a whole lot to have them do a Star Wars RPG that is basically just a reskin of TW3 with some changes here and there, like how Battlefront is basically Battlefield but star wars'd. If youre CDPR, you can just use TW3 tech, make it a 25-30 hour RPG instead of a 60-80 hour game that the TW3 was, and you could keep your two team system in place since the project shouldn't be too burdensome.

Sorry for the rant but I thought it was worth chewing on for a bit.

oh my, I hope you are right

probably not, tho

edited: if anything CDred will be busy with Cyberpunk for years still

Tizoc

I havent caught up with OP in ages but do you mean this guy?

latest

isnt he just Magneto?

Correct, granted it's Magnet Magnet Fruit but at least let the manga showcase him more to get more signature attacks for him :p
Game's missing this though
I1L5voU.jpg

Well, I still have a month to finish maybe one more game (or two) and then decide.
That would take me to 75 finished games per year too, such a nice number, no?
I probably can't do 100, I tried really hard this year, and still not even close.

Take it to 77.

Double Se7en! :D

oh my, I hope you are right

probably not, tho

edited: if anything CDred will be busy with Cyberpunk for years still

Well, that's why I was thinking that this wouldn't be their main project. Something worked on by maybe a moderately sized team while the main folks crank out Cyberpunk. Like i was theorizing, they can just use the same tech from TW3 and basically work on it the way they work on a large expansion pack or something like that. Obviously, this would take a lot more time and effort than a mere expansion pack but in this scenario they can have two teams working on games at the same time. They're flush with that TW3 money and surely EA will make sure they get the support they need for something like this, too.

Jawmuncher

If EA handed me a check and said "make us a Star Wars game" I would put Cyberpunk on the back burner so fast. It's a new IP, so unless someone's does a big budget RPG like that anytime soon, it still has no opposition.

Tizoc

If EA handed me a check and said "make us a Star Wars game" I would put Cyberpunk on the back burner so fast. It's a new IP, so unless someone's does a big budget RPG like that anytime soon, it still has no opposition.

Have it take place on a planet wirh dinosaurs.

zkylon

zkylewd
The part about him trying to make Witcher lose was a joke.
Just thought it was a bit funny how Witcher's name in the list is the least used one of the variations in thread.

Has mostly seen : Witcher 3, The Witcher 3, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and The Witcher III.

that's why subtitles are dumb

Annubis

I need Persona 5 PC announced before declaring thing like this ;__;

Yeah, seriously.
I don't have a PS4 yet because everything I wanted to play also came out on PC.
Right now, P5 is the only thing that could get me to get a PS4.
I really want it to come to PC so I can save myself 300$

My GOTY list isn't coming quite yet. Usually I post my list on the first day, but there are several notable titles that I intend to play this year but either haven't put enough time into (Life is Strange, Transformers, Invisible Inc.) or haven't started (Mario Maker, Rocket League).

Arthea

Yeah, seriously.

That made no sense, you know that P5 is coming to PS3 too, unless you don't have it already, you don't need to buy PS4 to play it, not that I wouldn't want it on PC, just pointing out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jshacks, since you seem to like tower defense games... What's your take on Gemcraft?

I just read a glowing review for the game in the 52 games/year thread, I think I might try getting the game during the Seal (if discounted properly).

I haven't played it but I've also heard good things. It also has good Steam reviews and a few hundred players right now despite it being over 8 months old. I might also have to check it out.

Speaking of games with gems in them, I've been putting way more time than I should have any right to playing Gems of War. From what I can tell, the F2P elements aren't too offensive as long as you have some patience and don't mind playing to level up your characters rather than paying. It's easily the best match-3 game I've played since the original Puzzle Quest which comes at no surprise since I guess the majority of the staff worked on that game.

If you're one of those "I have to have the best stuff, right now" kind of gamers stay away, but otherwise I've played about 12 hours of this game, leveled up my character to 15, got 2-3 "Ultra Rare" character cards, beat the single player campaign of the first kingdom (there are 20 or so) all without paying a dime of real money.

fertygo

Yeah, seriously.

Yeah I only need P5 so I can forget PS4 for good ;__;

I afraid if its happened its would've way too late port anyway

Jshacks, since you seem to like tower defense games... What's your take on Gemcraft?

I've played it, but caveat: I'm not that big on tower defense. I've played a few, but am by no means an expert.

Gemcraft is...involved. It's a game of high risk/high reward. Your weapons are gems of various types - splash damage, poison, armor breaking, mana generation, and so on - and you can upgrade them as well as combine them - you can make a gem that has splash damage and poison, which will do more base damage but has less of an effect. The monsters are three general types - fast and numerous but small, average, or tanky - as well as some levels which have a "drop everything and shoot it" monster that can come in from the side of the screen and go straight for your most powerful gem or even your tower.

It has numerous achievements, but they don't "stick" unless you actually beat the level. So if there's an achievement for "build 15 towers" you have to spend that mana to build them, and then you actually have to win with it. You can also add extra difficulty things to each level to get chances at better upgrades.

I have fun with it, even though at certain times I get stuck with proceeding. (git gud I suppose, or I might even have to grind.)

Annubis

That made no sense, you know that P5 is coming to PS3 too, unless you don't have it already, you don't need to buy PS4 to play it, not that I wouldn't want it on PC, just pointing out.

I'm expecting the PS4 version to be at least slightly better. I'd be stupid to have a straight port with zero differences.

Yeah I only need P5 so I can forget PS4 for good ;__;

I afraid if its happened its would've way too late port anyway

Let's wait for "Persona 5: Ruby" then.

XShagrath

I started playing Ori and the Blind Forest last week. Knowing next to nothing about it, I thought it would just be a beautiful platformer. After playing it for a short time, I found it's more like a beautiful Metroidvania. Now it's pulling at my damned heartstrings. I'm probably halfway through and I've gotten choked up three times now!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I started playing Ori and the Blind Forest last week. Knowing next to nothing about it, I thought it would just be a beautiful platformer. After playing it for a short time, I found it's more like a beautiful Metroidvania. Now it's pulling at my damned heartstrings. I'm probably halfway through and I've gotten choked up three times now!

image.php

Dang I have to buy it tomorrow if that is the case. Metroidvania > platformer for me

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'd be a bit surprised if Cyberpunk ends up having an established character as the player character considering it's based on a pen and paper property with a lot of customization. I figured it'd be closer to other RPGs that let you create your own character, rather than having you be named and known like Geralt.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that clip wasn't all that representative of the game, considering the marketing CG for the Witcher 3.

Annubis

This is actually hilarious.

At work, every browser has a forcefully installed security add-on.
The new version of Firefox with required signed add-on declared the security add-on not verified and disabled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom