• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think I'm going to kick my issues with Microsoft up the chain of command. On paper.

Guess I'll hear something within 60 days.

Dr Dogg

Helldivers runs at 120fps without a hitch so far and goes up to 1440p for me. I don't have 4K to check and my laptop uses NV Optimus so I can't use DVR.

Just make an odd custom resolution via NVCP, like say 2544x1431 and if the game takes it then arbitrary resolution support is a go.

That is good part. I expected at least one more story DLC (not half story half horde mode).

As I posted in the thread on gaming side it looks very similar to the survival horror concept art for TR13.

I think I'm going to kick my issues with Microsoft up the chain of command. On paper.

Guess I'll hear something within 60 days.

The lure of Rise of the Tomb Raider too much? Xboners for life!

rtcn63

I know when people hear Baba Yaga they think of Keanu, but for me the first thing that comes to mind is

latest

Deitus

Baba Yaga looks neat, and Endurance mode would be much better if you could play the main game that way. Cold Darkness Awakened just sounds like zombies, so.. yeah, not feeling anything there.

Agreed. I have a lot of compaints about TR 2013, but probably my biggest gripe was that a huge chunk of the story was thematically about survival, but absolutely none of that filtered into the gameplay. I'm not sure how this Endurance DLC will work mechanically, but from the sound of it, something like this would have made the campaign of the previous game much less bland (I understand RotTR is much better though).

It'll be great picking all this up for a fiver come the Winter 2016 sale.

Pretty much this.

dex3108

Agreed. I have a lot of compaints about TR 2013, but probably my biggest gripe was that a huge chunk of the story was thematically about survival, but absolutely none of that filtered into the gameplay. I'm not sure how this Endurance DLC will work mechanically, but from the sound of it, something like this would have made the campaign of the previous game much less bland (I understand RotTR is much better though).

Endurance mode incorporated in main game as Realistic difficulty or something like that would be nice.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The lure of Rise of the Tomb Raider too much? Xboners for life!

I won't deny that the call of Lara Croft is strong. I've actually been replaying the last game on my PS4 to try to hold myself over until Rise releases on PC.

I also took a look at the Xbox One backwards compatibility page and realized that I still own a lot of those disc games, and had a good number of those XBLA (or whatever they're called now) digital games on my old account.

Obviously, having a pretty hefty library of digital games from day one makes purchasing the hardware a lot more attractive. But then again I've been hesitant to trust Microsoft with digital purchases for years because of this - but I'm willing to give them a chance if they're willing to listen and review my case.

Khronico

Splurged on dat Star Wars bundle on GOG yesterday.

The xwing/tie fighter series holds up really, really well. 360 controller works out of the box in dosbox and there's good joy2key configs out there that make it perfectly playable. Really excited to go through the rest of the games.

Dr Dogg

If you like Score Attack modes you'll love RotTR's Expidition mode. A lot of the combat encounters have been sandboxes Splinter Cell or Arkham style so they're quite replayable and although the first third of the game they're a bit bland, the latter ones where you've got plenty of upgrades, tools and weapons to mess about with and in pretty decent thought out areas lend themselves well to replayability. Plus you can replay all the tombs and (I think most of) the set pieces. Plus you can modify you experience with cards that work like Skulls in Halo to hinder, help or just for shits and giggles like big head mode.

NV Optimus shuts all that down for me.

Well that sucks but I can't imagine a game that offers 2540x1440 as a rendering resolution is locked in any way shape or form.

I won't deny that the call of Lara Croft is strong. I've actually been replaying the last game on my PS4 to try to hold myself over until Rise releases on PC.

I also took a look at the Xbox One backwards compatibility page and realized that I still own a lot of those disc games, and had a good number of those XBLA (or whatever they're called now) digital games on my old account.

Obviously, having a pretty hefty library of digital games from day one makes purchasing the hardware a lot more attractive. But then again I've been hesitant to trust Microsoft with digital purchases for years because of this - but I'm willing to give them a chance if they're willing to listen and review my case.

Back Compat was the tipping point for me despite more tempted by new and exclusive titles. Started off only wanting to get a few games at a time so I would spend more time devoted to one game than my usual ping pong nature. So bought Gears Ultimate and Sunset Overdrive when I picked it up and then preordered RotTR. Soon after I snagged Rare Replay and Master Chef Ultimate Recipes for Disaster for cheap so had already ballooned up to 5 games, technically 38. Then when the new dashboard released with backwards compatability my Ready to Download section had 40 odd titles in there thanks to that plus I've got about 10-15 more on disc as well and there's more to be added very soon and regularly. Completely forgot I had Beyond Good and Evil HD and never played it on 360 but runs like a peach on the Bone.

Turfster

Oh, now you bring the 40% off, Ubi.
Not like I have the money for it anyway, no matter how tempting =p

Also, you fuckers all better play NEON STRUCT now.

AHA-Lambda

Well just done Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.

That felt pointless =/
And FWIW I loved Stanley Parable and Beginner's Guide.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm sure support tech robert is a good hard working guy just trying to do his job

it's just sad that he's the only employee at steam support

I wonder how many different responses you could get from Valve support when sending in the same support post? I fear the answer would be "too many."

Nzyme32

l0jGUkj.png

it's ok valve support, thanks for waiting three months to tell me to turn it off and on

It seriously boggles the mind that some people get such complete shit response, if at all from Steam Customer service, while others like me seem to be the lucky ones who didn't get either the idiot's or the bot's response.

Then again, I'm getting regular help / back and forth over the various Steam Controller issues / bugs I find, every 2 or 3 days since October 19th to now. Amusingly 2 of the initial 3 issues are still unresolved software issues. All they've fixed is 1 hardware issue and a myriad of bugs they have both created and resolved over that period. They have added useful features based on some issues though.

What I don't get is why I seemingly have the one guy that is jumping the hoops. Two other people with the same initial issue as me got a one off response and had their tickets closed. Both only got attention after I suggested Valve do something since we determined it was a hardware issue and I gave the ticket numbers for them.

Redeeming all these humble games is such a pain. Steam was so nice when they just let you sign in and click the redeem button.

Who wants to sell me one of those Nvidia Rainbow Siege codes for 20 dollars :3

lazygecko

I don't know which pre-existing thread to post in but I guess this is the de-facto PC gaming thread.

Is there any way you can specify/automatically force certain refresh rates on a game-per-game basis? Some games like Skyrim just won't run correctly at higher refresh rates even with VSync enabled, and manually switching to 60hz before launching is such a buzzkill when you have to put up with the suddenly choppy mouse movement. I don't think Skyrim specifically supports changing refresh rates in the settings/.inis, so hopefully there's some external way of handling it.

iosefe

I don't know which pre-existing thread to post in but I guess this is the de-facto PC gaming thread.

Is there any way you can specify/automatically force certain refresh rates on a game-per-game basis? Some games like Skyrim just won't run correctly at higher refresh rates even with VSync enabled, and manually switching to 60hz before launching is such a buzzkill when you have to put up with the suddenly choppy mouse movement. I don't think Skyrim specifically supports changing refresh rates in the settings/.inis, so hopefully there's some external way of handling it.
I know AMD has a frame limiter on Crimson. It was in the CCC too. Not sure if it worked through, and I haven't tried the new one in Crimson yet

lazygecko

Isn't afterburner an overlay? Will that work in conjunction with ENB?

I would use the built in ENB frame limiter, but it introduces significant mouse lag which I'd rather avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom