• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

GMxuz.png

Corpekata

Banned
Steam community is the worst. Nearly every game forum would lead you to believe each game is the worst thing on the planet. The reviews and tags try way too hard to be funny. Haha guys I tagged serious game 78 with kawaii! Reviews started out okay but now it's a bunch of gimmicks like the guy with 2000 hours of Bad Rats or stupid joke reviews where people say random shit and end with 10/10.

Steam community is good about one thing mainly, and that's game fixes. Since so many players of most games are there, the community hotfixes these days tend to start around there, or you can at least have a pretty large sample size to search through to see if anyone else has the same issue.

Nzyme32

I'm certain this is just click bait. They cite kddramastars a notorious blogspam site, and they simply say that they guy says "in an interview" its on PC and PC is the lead platform. No citation makes it a pretty straight forward spam of bullshit notice; also how no one else reports this stuff that they constantly come out with.

It probably will come to PC but this is the furthest thing from confirmation

Dr Dogg

GAFs impressions are all I need. I never really listen to the steam community. But I understand where you are coming from. For example if I just listened to the majority word on RE6, I would never have come to play it and love it. I think the biggest issue is always something that has a good bit of hype then is different from what was expected. Watch dogs was a recent example.

I'm still waiting for UbiSoft to patch Watch Dogs so I can knock out the rest of the collectables and give a full over view of the game. So that will be in a month of Sundays then at this rate.

From what I've played of RE6, which is mainly Leon's campaign I haven't seen the criticisms that others have brought up. Though I understand Jake's campaign is the one most take issue with. The melee system though is sooo good it's hard to hate it at all. Plus dual wielding and the slightly tweaked Revelations style controls work surprisingly well.

Shade

And one more extras give away for tonight. Should be unused. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-C31E9E1E5F70E9EC - Taken by City 17. 6 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-26AF2F980F8A646C - Taken by devonodev. 1 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-B9FA35C647222882 - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.
Trine 2 Complete Story -- MB-7C37910051EEC809 - Taken by Shadownet. 3 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-15EA0AB9D4F26C9B - Taken by jres80. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-EB8C0C43A9F3BA9A - Taken by qazqaNii. 2 entrants total.
FTL Faster Than Light -- MB-C49FE3FBA828C2E9 - Taken by GrinningColossus. 4 entrants total.

t1406249624z1.png

Vibranium

Banned
Steam community is the worst. Nearly every game forum would lead you to believe each game is the worst thing on the planet. The reviews and tags try way too hard to be funny. Haha guys I tagged serious game 78 with kawaii! Reviews started out okay but now it's a bunch of gimmicks like the guy with 2000 hours of Bad Rats or stupid joke reviews where people say random shit and end with 10/10.

Steam community is good about one thing mainly, and that's game fixes. Since so many players of most games are there, the community hotfixes these days tend to start around there, or you can at least have a pretty large sample size to search through to see if anyone else has the same issue.

Yeah, a lot of them are very pointless. The jokes are dumb when people should highlight what works and what doesn't work (i.e. pointing out uPlay issues on Ubisoft games in hopes the company somehow listens and gives us the option to not run two clients).

Last 6
ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (shykyoichi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-781F2566F94293C0 - Taken by devonodev. 2 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-EA2F6D847A0A3884
Draw a Stickman -- MB-5589364FE5B4BD04
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming -- MB-20EC22D4884AE011 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Galcon Legends -- MB-6241130980637245 - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.
Agricultural Simulator 2013 -- MB-8B64DA5EF3CA9CA6 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.

t1406259406z1.png

Trejik

Gods will be Watching is a really interesting game. Definitely suffering through it, at times in a good way and at times in a bad way. It seems pretentious and artsy at times, with this idea of "Hey, survival and torture and pain and decisions and pressure are SUPPOSED to stress you out and make you want to scream", which I admire greatly. These guys had a vision of making this game this way, and they stuck to it. On the other side, certain random % checks and elements of the gameplay are also in service of this "hey, in real life even if you take the safe route, you could die horribly anyways! Balance!" but drag it down by making it a chore to play.

At times, I wanted to drop it not because of the gameplay, but because the situations were actually so nerve-wracking that I just wanted to close the game and forget about it. This sensation that if I click this, even though I think it's the right decision, something terrible could happen, and I'm an hour into this scenario and if this character dies now, or if this turns rotten now, I can't deal with it.

Sure, having more forgiving or depending on your point of view, better designed gameplay could circumvent this problem and make it enjoyable to play and experience the story and scenarios, but I think that isn't the point of the game. I think you're supposed to want to turn it off and crawl into a hole and cry, and damn if isn't really good at that despite the gameplay "flaws".

It feels extremely deliberate in every way, down to the way they tell you not to play on Easy, but it's a game that will probably hated by many, confuse some, be admired by few, and enjoyed by none. Although that last part is the game actually being good, in my opinion.

You guys can decide if that sounds appealing to you or not. Those are my impressions so far (very close to the end), and I'll probably upload a video review tomorrow if anyone would enjoy that, I'll post it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Which is why the rise of "it has x% positive / negative steam reviews" is baffling to me

I'm definitely enjoying Gods, incredibly tough and the decisions aren't structured in such a way that makes sense for the game. For example, in the third mission you can produce an antidote in 1 turn but it has a very high chance of being lethal and you will lose out in man power to continue digging an exit. I didn't want to kill anyone so subsequently it takes longer to craft. There's a lot to balance in the missions so far. After you craft an antidote you have to test it, and the various people in your party have different weights and will recover faster. As you can imagine the people who recover faster also are the ones who do other things like keep the power running or even craft the things keeping you awake. Can be a bit overwhelming but getting through it is very satisfying.

The only thing I've had an issue with so far is there is one bit in the second chapter where you have a 1/7 chance of failing instantly which works incredibly well in context of the situation(I was certainly biting my nails) but is equally annoying when you get that chance.

It reminds me a lot of Pathologic or the Void in that you will absolutely have to restart a few times but you slowly figure out what works, and what doesn't and subsequent attempts become much easier. One thing that is a bit annoying though is all the missions are relatively lengthy and if you fail you might have to repeat 20 minutes of gameplay.

Achievements seem brutal though and heavily luck dependent.

Man you have me very eager to check this out; yet I am reading comments on the opposite side of things.

Beelzebubs

IGN Prime giving away Skullgirls http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/skullgirls limited time offer.

By the looks of it you can subscribe for a month for $6.95, get the code then unsubscribe at a later date. Seeing as it's £11.95 on Steam (guessing $15) this may work out to be a cheaper way for you to get it.

*edit* Ignore this, it's available widely for 2 keys on TFoutpost.

I remember some people were trading it for one tour of duty ticket (around 1 dollar) a few weeks ago, so search on steamtrades and tf2outpost if you are interested.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Mr Bonejangles, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mr Bonejangles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GODS WILL BE WATCHING -- MB-0E8E2D2B85B07A3A - Taken by The Dear Leader. 46 entrants total.

t1406252984z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Third chapter of GWBW is perhaps the most enjoyable yet. Instead of fucking you with an RNG, the management portion makes a lot of sense. I still feel quite under the gun with different pressures mounting but what the game wants you to do is far more understandable and there's tangible elements to everything that isn't hunting for context that might take you two or three fuckups to notice.

I will probably take a break here for a bit before digging back into it.

Spot on that's basically what it is.

That's probably a good description. It's pleasant, and solid. It doesn't do a whole let really well, but doesn't do anything poorly either.

I remember the buzz being that it was a decent and fun game but not worth full retail.
Hah, so my memory isn't that terrible. Think I rented it back in the day for the Xbox 1 and played it but it didn't leave much of an impression. I guess I'll pass on biting on that SE bundle then. Thanks!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Has anyone played The Cursed Crusade? Impressions are welcome. I just saw it's on sale with 85% off, a very interesting price if the game is any good.

Avoid it like the plague.
Hah, so my memory isn't that terrible. Think I rented it back in the day for the Xbox 1 and played it but it didn't leave much of an impression. I guess I'll pass on biting on that SE bundle then. Thanks!

You are confusing it with I-Ninja which IMO is better game.
I-Ninja.jpg

go nuts.

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-F95BE009FE89C590 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Enforcer -- MB-B6EDCF95C314DC2A - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-B8BA70B8D0D08BB8 - Taken by City 17. 5 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-20D8A080440506F0 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity -- MB-1DF47B9C3F2C3A86 - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Apocalypse -- MB-0E2C794203E8D270 - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 2 entrants total.
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-2EECF58AEF5C3C1E - Taken by Hugstable. 2 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-75C04535185E579D - Taken by Lomax. 2 entrants total.
The Bureau -- MB-9D279A73D22C7A55 - Taken by -MD-. 4 entrants total.
Bioshock -- MB-EBA3EBD4B487AB3F - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-20B76F0C5AD16590 - Taken by jshackles. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Interceptor -- MB-8DEAFF93A4777223 - Taken by sprinkles. 1 entrants total.
Finding Teddy -- MB-5B54A51DE250A2C8 - Taken by Newblade
Bioshock 2 -- MB-EAD24B8446A5CCDE - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : Terrors From the Deep -- MB-2526C59D0970041F - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-2C538DAC2CBBFAEA - Taken by weemadarthur. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM : UFO Defense : -- MB-6D54E6461BAAF9EC - Taken by Servizio

t1406260426z1.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This isn't regarding Gods in particular, but the amount of "steam user reviews are bad not interested anymore" comments I'm seeing about various games the last few weeks is really bumming be out, I sware to god soon we will have "but gamefaqs forum said it was bad" comments, or "ign gave it a 7 so it must be bad"

This is the same steam community that had all those amazing votes during every sale, they sure know quality.

Yes, I hold neogaf in a higher standard when it comes to people knowing about games and deciding for themselves and whatnot, or used to at least. You want to talk about SteamGaf changes lately, start with that one :/

Again, not about GWBWY in particular, I'll make my own judgement in that when I play it, I've seen this said about multiple games lately

Eh, when money is on the line can you blame people for listening to a (terrible) community that says it may not be worth the money? Honestly, more demos should be released and Steam should hold said demos for more than a year. :/ Get people to try the game(s) out before going "oh well the community says it's bad so it must not be worth the download time/purchase..."

73V3N

Banned
IGN Prime giving away Skullgirls http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/skullgirls limited time offer.

By the looks of it you can subscribe for a month for $6.95, get the code then unsubscribe at a later date. Seeing as it's £11.95 on Steam (guessing $15) this may work out to be a cheaper way for you to get it.

I remember some people were trading it for one tour of duty ticket (around 1 dollar) a few weeks ago, so search on steamtrades and tf2outpost if you are interested.

Corpekata

Banned
Has anyone played The Cursed Crusade? Impressions are welcome. I just saw it's on sale with 85% off, I don't know how I missed it monday. A very interesting price if the game is any good.

Haven't played it but the game does not go on sale very often so may want to keep that in mind. It has some weird regional issues as well so i think that prevents it from being bundled. Bought it for cheap on Amazon a couple months ago just for the backlog.

Volimar

How is everyone this fine evening? I'm pretty down. Gonna have to pay for a service tech to come out from the cable company and fix the set top box that isn't working... Really need a new bed, but life keeps getting in the way of being able to afford it. Oh well...

Showing Enemy Unknown, but it's not in the giveaway...

H1PSTER

Only 50 or so minutes until my GWBW giveaway ends... Go back, find it and enter!

I promise the two posts will be easier to find then 99 Mudokons.

So I found out steam can't read OGG, what is a good free audio converter? Can it read FLAC?
I don't know if it can, but I know it won't let you add a library on a network share unless that share is mapped with a drive letter. So, it's going to be a while before I even try it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What is so specially bad about it? And what other game would you compare it to, quality notwithstanding?

-Combat is Shallow
-Story is boring
-Controllers dont feel responsive as they could be.
-The game is like 60% cutscenes maybe even more and the story is weak (It has some interesting moments sure but the writing messes up what they wanted to do)

If I had to compare it to something just for comparison I think The First Templar. It suffers mostly the same issues the game has and if I had to use a decent game Viking Battle for Asgard.

The game has some interesting concepts with the gameplay and the story but the execution of the game simply isnt there.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I stumbled on this in the Trails in the Sky thread and thought that people that don't generally leave the Steam thread should see it:

Yeah, a lot of them are very pointless. The jokes are dumb when people should highlight what works and what doesn't work (i.e. pointing out uPlay issues on Ubisoft games in hopes the company somehow listens).

Getting rid of the Uplay tag was a terrible thing for Ubi to do. It's like they want to keep it a secret, despite all of the warnings on the page saying "this requires Uplay."

I still think that the tags for Always Sometimes Monsters are the worst tags I've seen yet for a game.

Which is why the rise of "it has x% positive / negative steam reviews" is baffling to me

I don't completely disregard the reviews themselves, though the percentage of positive to negative reviews should largely be ignored. There are usually a few Steam reviews that are good, but a lot of them are trash. Generally, the more in depth a review on Steam is, the better the chance is that it's worth paying attention to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I just beat Final Fantasy III on Steam, though you can save at the end and go back and do all the side quests and unlock the rest of the achievements which I'll probably do because I'm crazy.

The last boss / last dungeon was insane. There are about 7 boss fights, with no inns or save points anywhere in between. I finally ended up with a Ninja, Sage, Devout, and Black Belt, all characters at level 59. My clear time was just a hair over 23 hours.

I can say that the remake is pretty damn awesome. I had never played this version before, only the Famicom original. This version was quite a bit easier, especially with it's "quicksave" function, but it preserved the spirit of the original version really well.

I wish Square Enix would hurry up and release the 3D remake of Final Fantasy IV on Steam soon.

Vibranium

Banned
Getting rid of the Uplay tag was a terrible thing for Ubi to do. It's like they want to keep it a secret, despite all of the warnings on the page saying "this requires Uplay."

I still think that the tags for Always Sometimes Monsters are the worst tags I've seen yet for a game.

I don't completely disregard the reviews themselves, though the percentage of positive to negative reviews should largely be ignored. There are usually a few Steam reviews that are good, but a lot of them are trash. Generally, the more in depth a review on Steam is, the better the chance is that it's worth paying attention to.

Oh Ubi was responsible for that? Geez. I wish I could talk to these guys face to face and politely explain why people feel the need to tag their games. A Uplay issues post was on the very top page of Reddit when Watch_Dogs released haha.

The in-depth reviews are wonderful, I learn a lot from them usually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Strangely jonesing to play more Planet Explorers... I was about to craft a gun and some turrets... That should teach those fucking monkeys to not chase me across the entire fucking map

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Strange. Removed the link, thanks!

Investigated:
24 20:53:45 GA: New GA_ID generated for this giveaway... 946228915
24 20:53:46 GA: Giveaway text ready, now adding keys.
24 20:53:46 GA: Adding key for game Out of the Park Baseball 14
24 20:53:46 GA Search 2.0: Searching for Out of the Park Baseball 14 under check name outparkbaseball14
24 20:53:46 GA Search 2.0: Still no results, checking Steam
24 20:53:46 GA Search 2.0: Searching Steam for Out of the Park Baseball 14
24 20:53:47 GA Search 2.0: Searching Steam for Out of the Park Baseball XIV
24 20:53:47 GA Search 2.0: Absolutely no result at all.
24 20:53:47 GA: Adding key for game XCOM : Enforcer
24 20:53:47 GA Search 2.0: Searching for XCOM : Enforcer under check name xcomenforcer
24 20:53:47 GA Search 2.0: No results, falling back to alt name xcom

So it looks like ModBot's cache doesn't have Xcom Enforcer, and when it tried to guess that "Enforcer" was a subtitle and just searched for Xcom, it got Enemy Unknown. Not sure why enforcer wasn't in the cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom