• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

ngower

Grabbed the latest bootleg of the Screamers demos LP today. My current shop doesn't even do RSD at all hah, handful of disappointed visitors for the short period I was in there but there were more people who wandered in because of RSD and stayed because they thought the shop was cool. So...maybe the best way to benefit from RSD is not to participate?

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait....the SF punk band the Screamers? Where do I find this?

LAME!

Bought one of the new pressings of Bowie's Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust today. Side B is skipping half the time. Grrr. And it was fresh out of the package. Hopefully they have another to swap it out with tomorrow.
This kind of thing was what I was worried about when getting into LPs.

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait....the SF punk band the Screamers? Where do I find this?

There's tons of pressings of all the recent Screamers boots (of LP's and the even more recent tapes) but they tend to move rather fast. Quite cheap on discogs, or you could subscribe to Sorry State/Floridas Dying/Grave Mistake/Goner Records news letters and wait for the eventual restocks :)

The day-after-record-store-day wishlists look nice, glad to see that the biggest record store on the planet is well stocked up
MFWTZ7C.png

(there's now some more reasonable copies at 15 bucks though too)

Zombine

Banned
I'll take it someone died and you took all their shit?

Cool. Send them to this guy if you need any of them cleaned.
Now that's a good RSD haul.

My buddy is a dealer and he was about to bring 3,000 new records into his property. Wife told him that he had to move what he didn't want before he brought new shit into their house, and he told me I could have them for free as long as I moved them. Was a wicked fun day lol.

I make music, so a lot of what I got was sample heaven. Gave a ton of records away, and I've been categorizing it for future sales/music making. I hold it independent of my personal collection, but I've been pulling stuff that I want to keep.

But in regards to vinyl that I just can't stop spinning:

I'm madly in love with B&N's Hateful Eight special edition set. I love the story behind that entire soundtrack, and it is super fucking chill to zone out to.

I also have Bowie's Blackstar on clear vinyl, and that set in general was a work of art. Simply stunning to look at, not selling.

Other favorite regular releases are Cage The Elephant's Tell Me I'm Pretty and Leon Bridges fucking STELLAR album Coming Home.

Get on the Tame Impala train if you want to hear another wicked good album. Currents is phenomenal.

andylsun

Only record store day purchase this year. Didn't see anything on the list so didn't go till today.

Amazing looking 12" Air - Casanova 70

WCcxRYKl.jpg

Went to some used shops today and grabbed a few things:

CgWEsnHXIAAjRnK.jpg

$15 well spent I think.

CgWF0bBUMAAMjt0.jpg

The Close Encounters sound track still had the complimentary single, and Superman still had the mail in brochure from 78. Nice.

Managed to grab another Sun City Girls Lp that came up in the Uk. Its pretty shit that all of them on Discogs are in the USA. Makes buying one record a minimum of £30, where as you guys can pick one up for $11 :(

Hey record gaf!I picked up one of the all in one turntables for my wife this Christmas, and promptly returned it for a refund. Since then I've been on the lookout for a decent deal on a vintage player. I've been checking out Craigslist and pawn shops with little luck and I have yet to see a good yard sale. Are there any places I should look? I'm in the Philadelphia area. I did find one good shop in Allentown, but each turntable they had was broken in some way. I may still get one and try to fix it, but for about $200 I'd like it to be at least mechanically sound.

Hey record gaf!I picked up one of the all in one turntables for my wife this Christmas, and promptly returned it for a refund. Since then I've been on the lookout for a decent deal on a vintage player. I've been checking out Craigslist and pawn shops with little luck and I have yet to see a good yard sale. Are there any places I should look? I'm in the Philadelphia area. I did find one good shop in Allentown, but each turntable they had was broken in some way. I may still get one and try to fix it, but for about $200 I'd like it to be at least mechanically sound.

What do you consider vintage? For 200~ bucks (or way less really) you could probably find a good Sony player from the early 80s. If you're lucky you'll just need a belt/needle update.

What do you consider vintage? For 200~ bucks (or way less really) you could probably find a good Sony player from the early 80s. If you're lucky you'll just need a belt/needle update.

I was looking at this technics, but the strobe is out, and from what I can tell it's hard to find a replacement.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/eld/5526166730.html

Any particular model sony I should look for? I guess pitch control and adjustable tone arm balance are must have features, correct?

Some stuff that came in:

3TAlI23.jpg

Horrendous - Anareta

XfwjE9r.jpg

Opprobrium (formerly known as Incubus) - Serpent Temptation

LTKzO7j.jpg

Ts97oAD.jpg

Robocop OST (NWR re-issue)

kJ89QCX.jpg

6fYS0D5.jpg

The Terminator OST (NWR re-issue)

andylsun

I was looking at this technics, but the strobe is out, and from what I can tell it's hard to find a replacement.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/eld/5526166730.html

Any particular model sony I should look for? I guess pitch control and adjustable tone arm balance are must have features, correct?

Might be worth looking for an SL-1600,1700. Nearly as good as the 1200 and I picked up two for $10 each in the last few years. Mechanically simple and will last for ever. $200 seems overpriced for a 1300.

Edit: actually for a store, with headshell, hopefully new stylus and a warranty, $175 might not be bad. If all the automatics work (the grease hardens over time and goes sticky after 30 years).

For Sony, the PS-X7 and its cousins are amazing as long as it holds speed. They use a magnetic track on the platter to lock speed and if that is damaged, you are screwed.

Might be worth looking for an SL-1600,1700. Nearly as good as the 1200 and I picked up two for $10 each in the last few years. Mechanically simple and will last for ever. $200 seems overpriced for a 1300.

Edit: actually for a store, with headshell, hopefully new stylus and a warranty, $175 might not be bad. If all the automatics work (the grease hardens over time and goes sticky after 30 years).

For Sony, the PS-X7 and its cousins are amazing as long as it holds speed. They use a magnetic track on the platter to lock speed and if that is damaged, you are screwed.

Thanks for the good info. I'll see what the warranty is, but walk if anything seems off since it doesn't look to be a deal too good to pass up. I did see a Sony ps-x75, but they were asking $500 for it. If I need to go that high, there are a few thorens that caught my eye. I really like the wood look.

Some stuff that came in:

LTKzO7j.jpg

Ts97oAD.jpg

Robocop OST (NWR re-issue)

kJ89QCX.jpg

6fYS0D5.jpg

The Terminator OST (NWR re-issue)
Oh, god. Those Robocop and Terminator releases are sexy as hell.

I got some stuff today too. The newest issues of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" and New Order's "Low Life."
"Power, Corruption, and Lies" should be arriving tomorrow or Friday.

Oh, that's cool. I thought it was needed to set the speed or something. Is that ad a decent deal?

Nope, the rings on the side of platter can be used the check the speed / adjust the pitch. The strobe is there just for neat effects :)P)

I don't know the going price of SL-1300, but it seems like a decent deal if it works otherwise. Turntables and their prices are fun because they a) rarely go down in price b) last most likely for ages, making them a wise investment unless you are paying premium for a crappy model.

andylsun

Thanks for the good info. I'll see what the warranty is, but walk if anything seems off since it doesn't look to be a deal too good to pass up. I did see a Sony ps-x75, but they were asking $500 for it. If I need to go that high, there are a few thorens that caught my eye. I really like the wood look.

I would go for the technics to start and then keep hitting yard sales and flea markets. My Thorens cost me $20 and all it needed was a new belt. I've never seen another since though

Sony Biotracer TTs are great if they work but impossible to repair if the electronics go bad. Also worth keeping an eye out for the good linear trackers (technics SL-7,10,15).

My friends laugh at me when I tell them I have around 7 turntables, but with used prices going through the roof and never having paid more than $40 for a TT, I should have enough to last the rest of my life.

Spwn

So jealous of you Americans because of the cheap used turntables. I've been looking for a turntable for a while now to replace my Chinese time bomb (doesn't scratch records... yet) and it's hard to find anything worthwhile for under 200 euros and even they you most likely have to at least change the belt and/or the needle. Saving to buy a new Rega RP-1 since it's only 299 euros and I now what I'm getting with my money.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
There's a 50% off sale at Nonesuch Records. Probably the best sale I've seen in months.

Promo code is NEWLOOK

Spwn

Since we're posting film soundtracks here, I just got home with this bad boy. A record store chain in Finland had a few of these for Record store day and I managed to grab one through their website.

UddQ3XTl.jpg

Also picked the reissues of Ulver's first three albums from mail. This is a good day.

pablito

Vinyl Me Please's May album is Pinkerton is anyone is interested.

Gonna have to give it another listen. Just recently started liking Weezer, but I still don't like Pinkerton. Considering getting it just in case lol.

wenis

Vinyl Me Please's May album is Pinkerton is anyone is interested.

Gonna have to give it another listen. Just recently started liking Weezer, but I still don't like Pinkerton. Considering getting it just in case lol.

It's also the MoFi pressing. So it's going to sound amazing.

Torture Chain (USA) - Across Great Landscapes to a Legacy of Blood LP (Yersinia Pestis 2012)
Torture Chain (USA) - Across Great Landscapes to a Legacy of Blood LP (Yersinia Pestis 2012)

Yellow Eyes (NY) - Hammer of Night LP (Dead Section 2013)
Yellow Eyes (NY) - Stillicide LP (Prison Tatt/Sibir 2015)

Yellow Eyes (NY) - The Desert Mourns LP US edition (Dead Section/Sibir 2014)
Yellow Eyes (NY) - The Desert Mourns LP EU edition (Dead Section/Sibir 2014)

Yellow Eyes (NY) - Sick with Bloom LP (Gilead Media 2015)
Yellow Eyes (NY) - Sick with Bloom LP (Gilead Media 2015)
Yellow Eyes (NY) - Sick with Bloom LP (Gilead Media 2016)

underground black metal from the US of A.

wenis

Ended up falling down a Discogs hole tonight after record shopping.

Winded up ordering a "Music on Vinyl" 2009 copy (before the Vlado Meller remaster happened) of Rage Against the Machine - S/T, an ORJ Pressing of Thelonius Monk - Alone in San Francisco, and a copy of Luther Vandross - Never Too Much.

As for record shopping I ended up buying:

Elton John - Don't Shoot I'm Only The Piano Player
Bon Dylan - John Wesley Harding
Cerron - Cerrone IV
Elvis Costello - This Years Model
Love and Kisses - S/T

Busy day today.

Still waiting on original pressings of Green Day - Dookie, Green Day - Kerplunk!, and Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire and Battle of Los Angeles, both being Music on Vinyl pressings.

wenis

It doesn't say if it's out of stock or not. Just that it's not available right now.

Top Bottom