• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Some more Ulver. Got the reissues of Bergtatt, Kveldssanger and Nattens Madrigal. All purple which is why just one picture of the LP. And I think it was Kveldssanger that came with sheet music. The others were lyrics.

Where are these reissues from? Definitely want to pick these up.

can't remember the last time I ordered directly from Century Media, but yo damn save yourself 7 bucks per LP. Didn't realize the markup would be that much from NWN.

mojiimbo

Oof, now Hastings is doing 30% off "select" records.

My haul so far...

7qWiUbP.png

Op7Ytw8.png

http://slickdeals.net/f/8647106-gohastings-com-coupon-for-select-vinyl-records-30-off-shipping

Only bummer is no free shipping whatsoever(?), although it only added in between a dollar or two per record, and that they don't have the best reputation for their care in packaging/shipping records.

C4Lukins

amnesiac

A while back, GoHastings had some crazy price errors ($120 box sets priced at $10) and I ordered a lot of stuff from them, but the problem is that when you put an order in, your order gets sent to a store that has the item in stock, so it's up to that store to decide how well to package your records. For example, I ordered five records and they all came from different GoHastings stores across the country in various types of packaging. One came in a normal record mailer, one came in a very large box with no protection, one came sandwiched between to pieces of cardboard, etc. Not to mention that the records often have a lot of shelf wear from sitting in a retail environment for so long. In short, I've learned not to order from GoHastings anymore except if they have those insane price errors again.

Chuck

Still without luck
You vinyl heads might be able to help me answer something I've had trouble figuring out.

So back in the 50's and 60's, when radio DJs were doing their thing, how exactly did they operate? The started with me wondering how they would play songs not issued on a single. I doubt they picked up and put down the needle in the middle of Help! to keep playing Yesterday. I'm assuming they recorded those kind of songs to magnetic tape or something?

Also, if anyone has any book recommendations regarding this topic, I'd love to read them.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Just guessing here, but they probably didn't just have one turntable going out live. You queue the song up on a second turntable and then start it up when you're ready to go, just like modern two turntables and a microphone DJs do.

big ander

You vinyl heads might be able to help me answer something I've had trouble figuring out.

So back in the 50's and 60's, when radio DJs were doing their thing, how exactly did they operate? The started with me wondering how they would play songs not issued on a single. I doubt they picked up and put down the needle in the middle of Help! to keep playing Yesterday. I'm assuming they recorded those kind of songs to magnetic tape or something?

Also, if anyone has any book recommendations regarding this topic, I'd love to read them.

Nah making new recordings would be intense—it's actually not too hard to do off the vinyl. while one song is playing on your other table you find the song (there are track groves between songs so you can find the general area to drop in) and scan for the beginning of the song. once you've got that you spin it back just a little bit so when you start it and crossfade over you catch the beginning.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just guessing here, but they probably didn't just have one turntable going out live. You queue the song up on a second turntable and then start it up when you're ready to go, just like modern two turntables and a microphone DJs do.

Nah making new recordings would be intense—it's actually not too hard to do off the vinyl. while one song is playing on your other table you find the song (there are track groves between songs so you can find the general area to drop in) and scan for the beginning of the song. once you've got that you spin it back just a little bit so when you start it and crossfade over you catch the beginning.

Interesting, I don't know why I didn't consider a multi-table setup. That makes much more sense!

tch

So I open my newest record and it has small scratches outward from the center. It is just in one small section but on the last track (the acoustic one..) on that side it makes distinct popping noises on every rotation to the scratched area throughout the track. This is straight out of the shrink wrap on the first play. Is this worth contacting the band/record company about? I'm not trying to be obsessive but it kinda sucks and maybe they can send me another one? First time this has happened to me so just looking for any similar experiences, thanks!

big ander

So I open my newest record and it has small scratches outward from the center. It is just in one small section but on the last track (the acoustic one..) on that side it makes distinct popping noises on every rotation to the scratched area throughout the track. This is straight out of the shrink wrap on the first play. Is this worth contacting the band/record company about? I'm not trying to be obsessive but it kinda sucks and maybe they can send me another one? First time this has happened to me so just looking for any similar experiences, thanks!

100% contact the label (not the band—they won't be able to do anything about it unless they also happen to work at the label and handle distro). Every label I've bought from has been cool about replacing for stuff like that, that's a legitimate flaw in packaging/delivery especially if it affects the playback. Even stuff I thought I had no chance at getting replaced due to the pressing being very limited has been swapped out (sometimes they even let you keep the damaged one so you can have a backup...or just sell the damaged one at a cutrate price to someone who's fine with a limited run record with a couple scuffs)

Found Late Registration tonight! I now have every official Kanye LP, which feels nice. Also found the new Pusha, which I didn't realize had an official vinyl release.

harz-marz

New to vinyl! Bought my first ever played yesterday and have my dad's back catalogue of Bowie and Rod Stewart to keep my ears occupied while I build my own collection.

Where is the best (doesnt have to be cheapest but that wouldnt go amiss) place to buy vinyl online in the UK?

R1CHO

Hi guys, total noob here, no idea about this stuff... I have read the op, and a couple other webs, but I would like to ask for advice here.

I want to buy a "vinyl kit" for a gift, this is from player to speaker, and the budget is around:

600€ - 670$ - 476£

Any suggestions? Ideally of stuff available in Europe, specifically on Amazon UK.

Is it a good idea to go the simplified route of just a player with internal preamp + active speakers?

I really appreciated any help, thanks.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hi guys, total noob here, no idea about this stuff... I have read the op, and a couple other webs, but I would like to ask for advice here.

I want to buy a "vinyl kit" for a gift, this is from player to speaker, and the budget is around:

600€ - 670$ - 476£

Any suggestions? Ideally of stuff available in Europe, specifically on Amazon UK.

Is it a good idea to go the simplified route of just a player with internal preamp + active speakers?

I really appreciated any help, thanks.

You could probably get a decent set up for that price. Here are a couple of suggestions for a turntable, maybe someone else can suggest speakers & pre-amp

http://www.factmag.com/2016/04/04/the-eight-best-budget-turntables-that-wont-ruin-your-records/

(That Flexson box sounds like a good bet though.)

Spwn

Ordered the deluxe edition of the upcoming Perturbator album. The splattered one. I feel dirty. And excited. But dirty.

Picked up a Sony turntable for cheap today (300usb model.) and grabbed a couple of albums. Excited to give some more things a spin, then go ransack my mother's garage to find all the stuff we had in the 70s and 80s.

Found Late Registration tonight! I now have every official Kanye LP, which feels nice. Also found the new Pusha, which I didn't realize had an official vinyl release.

Aren't Kanye vinyl releases known for being sibilant as hell for no reason though?

(Then again, I have a copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and it sounds fine).

Aren't Kanye vinyl releases known for being sibilant as hell for no reason though?

(Then again, I have a copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and it sounds fine).

Yeah, Kanye's mastering in general is pretty spotty. As far as vinyl goes, they tend to at least sound better than the CD/digital releases - except College Dropout, which is awful sounding on vinyl. Very noisy. I mostly collect them for the sake of collection, but there are some standouts. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. 808s, it's incredibly well mastered and a really nice vinyl set.
2. Late Registration, sounds very nice all things considered
3. MBDTF, gorgeous package but it suffers from the same mastering issues the digital/CD had and is also laid out kind of poorly (it's a 3xLP, which is completely unnecessary)
4. College Dropout, incredibly noisy, lots of pops, no bueno. I just have this for posterity really

Those are the only official ones (except Watch the Throne, which I will probably never own due to it being like 180 bucks these days) and the rest are all bootlegs of varying quality.

$150 a piece was steep, but holy shit. These are some nice sets:

All of my audio equipment is locked away right now as our living room is being remodeled. Gonna be another week before I can actually listen. But, damn, it's all nice to look at.

Zombine

Banned
Acquired something like 1,500 vinyl albums for 0 dollars. There's some amazing shit here like the Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack.

ngower

Picked up the Suicide "Cheree" 7". Really nothing I wanted to begin with, but doubled-down on that in-store. I miss when RSD was more about sales and the like than getting limited pressings of shit. Oh well.

Damn, no luck with the RSD Dead Can Dance. If anyone found it and is willing to sell, hit me up! I did find a few other good things - Mewithoutyou - Ten Stories, Daft Punk x Junior Kimbrough, and Death Grips - No Love Deep Web.

When to see if I could score a Jay Reatard Blood Visions LP & 7" as I just completed my Jay Reatard collection and I didn't. Well, they came into my country in single digits anyway, but holy shit that the stuff that did came was mostly garbage and the rest was priced with 200% markup at the least.

Worst fucking day, sooner the it dies, the better.

Picked up the Suicide "Cheree" 7". Really nothing I wanted to begin with, but doubled-down on that in-store. I miss when RSD was more about sales and the like than getting limited pressings of shit. Oh well.

Excellent record though, though the 12" is super cheap anyways.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Shouldn't have done it but I ordered this off discogs:

I've been wanting a copy for years now. Got some early birthday cash and said fuck it. An original green pressing of dookie with the unaltered back cover.

big ander

Grabbed the latest bootleg of the Screamers demos LP today. My current shop doesn't even do RSD at all hah, handful of disappointed visitors for the short period I was in there but there were more people who wandered in because of RSD and stayed because they thought the shop was cool. So...maybe the best way to benefit from RSD is not to participate?

Top Bottom