• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
nkPVmGm.gif

I fucking love this gif

Alienfan

I wonder if WB will ever file for bankruptcy, I can't remember their last big budget movie that was a financial success, they can't be doing very well - a shame because they tend to take more risks than the other studios

Sephzilla

I just think it's hilarious that Leto went full method acting for 10 minutes of screen time. Sure makes all of the stories about what he did to the cast seem really publicity stunt-ish now.

Salsa

the Leto stories during the whole marketing overload of this thing were just so fuckin dreadful they almost pulled me out from seeing the movie alone

OMG LETO SENT RATS. LIVE RATS. HE ISSSSS THE JOKER

they were trying so fucking hard to paint this "HE BECAME IT" heath-ledger-one-up level of WOW HE ACTUALLY BECAME CRAZY that it was just embarrasing to see

HE SENT A USED CONDOM WOW HE'S SO GOOD IN THE ROLE

no matter where you looked in the press they were talking about that shit a bajillion times like it was the second coming of fuckin.. something. so tryhard

3N16MA

Banned
Honestly reviewers seem to rate some marvel films highly even when I feel they are really weak. Like iron man 2 and 3. It could be that super hero films are getting so old now that they either have to be really amazing or its just straight garbage to people.

MCU films stick to the formula (successful formula) with some leeway to differentiate themselves.

Bland turds like Thor 2 do not get praised but are spared from getting thrashed by critics. It's forgettable filler that is safe but feels like a MCU film. Good enough for a middle of the road review.

Then you get GotG and TWS that use the formula but differentiate themselves. They exceed at being really entertaining films.

Hopefully the rest of the movies are terrible. WB trying to catch up to Marvel is hilarious. Just have Flash reset everything its already fucked.

Oddduck

US Weekly - 2.5 out of 4 stars

Writer-director David Ayer (End of Watch, Fury), seemingly unsatisfied with his own play-by-play, feels the need to splice his film into a whirl of flash-and-dash montages. Too often, you’ll feel like you’re watching a music video marathon instead of a cohesive feature film.

That hyperkinetic directing style suits these renegades to an extent — nobody expects this bunch to frolic in the sunshine for two hours and fret over headlines in the Daily Planet. But the heroes-on-acid narrative makes it a challenge to follow the story, not to mention a chore to process the onslaught of violence.

The former model [Delevingne] fails to convince as a woman with ancient origins who can finagle people’s brains and longs to be worshipped. Looking the part of a psychotic spirit animal is not enough. Intensity is required, and she doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off.

New York Daily Times

There's no denying Will Smith has more on-screen charisma than any of his teammates, and he brings more to the character of Deadshot than what we normally get from the comics. Robbie is also quite fun, in a psychotic way, as the epitome of a crazy ex-girlfriend.

The biggest problem with the movie is that, despite all the villains, the main antagonist is as ridiculously silly as something out of "Ghostbusters 2." By the time the Squad faces off against this baddie, the movie turns into another one of those laughable FX-laden messes that has plagued so many other comic book movies.

Sanjuro

New York Daily Times

There's no denying Will Smith has more on-screen charisma than any of his teammates, and he brings more to the character of Deadshot than what we normally get from the comics. Robbie is also quite fun, in a psychotic way, as the epitome of a crazy ex-girlfriend.

The biggest problem with the movie is that, despite all the villains, the main antagonist is as ridiculously silly as something out of "Ghostbusters 2." By the time the Squad faces off against this baddie, the movie turns into another one of those laughable FX-laden messes that has plagued so many other comic book movies.

4Nd8xrt.gif

HowZatOZ

Banned
Eh, fair enough from the critics view. I liked it and will send it again, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. Enjoy the movie if you are heading out to see it.

I don't get why WB wanted these big group films when they could ride building solo films and slowly do cross overs like Marvel. They might be behind Avengers and what not but so what?

You could have 15 films making bank with different characters and great stories but they decided to blow their load.

Now all they've got is embarrassing wasted potential that ended up as shoehorned email attachments.

Not seeing Harley working her normal job, meet the inmates, slowly fall for Joker which I presume is some shit flashback of wasted potential. Imagine Batman visiting Arkham, dropping off prisoners to Gordon or something and Harley mostly normal going about her business but something is off. There is no decent build up or threads in this cinematic universe.

nah gotta catchup to marvel's long hard work in one or two movies

the fact that doomsday happened in the second fucking superman film is all you need to know about the people running shit

Exactly. DC are being stupid about this. OH we have to have everything Marvel has now. Well if wanted that you should have started with solo movies, etc almost 10 years ago. Say what you want about Marvel but they introduced you to all the pieces before bringing them together. Each and every one of those movies laid groundwork for the avengers movies. It's paying off now too. Meanwhile DC is trying to unorganically jump right to the shared universe group movies shit and it's failing miserably.

A-fucking-men!

But at least WB is learning from all this and letting DC have more direct control on the films, akin to Marvel Studios with their films. I always though that was something that was missing from the DCEU.

Anung

Un Rama
Hopefully the rest of the movies are terrible. WB trying to catch up to Marvel is hilarious. Just have Flash reset everything its already fucked.

The only thing BVS made me want was a Flashpoint movie with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan reprising their roles as Thomas and Martha Wayne. Shit could be dynamite in the right hands.

Salsa

Will Smith is so success-oriented that he's the only one that didnt get that ugly "SKWAD" tattoo.

bet he's looking back on it now like "phew"

maxcriden

Down to 34%. Dang. I wonder if bad WOM will affect this movie more than it did BvS, since it doesn't have the same degree of character recognition.

JSevere

Yeesh. I'll probably still check this out, since I've been interested in it and the characters since the first trailer dropped last July, but I'm probably done getting hyped for DC movies a year+ in advance if we're three films into the franchise and none of them turn out particularly good.

also the Chris Evans GIFs in this thread are incredible lmao

I wonder if WB will ever file for bankruptcy, I can't remember their last big budget movie that was a financial success, they can't be doing very well - a shame because they tend to take more risks than the other studios

WB made over a billion in profit last year. They'll be fine.

The fact that they throw so much Joker into the marketing of this movie and then supposedly he's in it for like 10 minutes is a freaking joke (not the "funny, haha" kind).

Should have "we're the bad guys" as the chorus since they shoved that down our throats in the marketing so damn much.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Down to 34%. Dang. I wonder if bad WOM will affect this movie more than it did BvS, since it doesn't have the same degree of character recognition.
You'll probably find word of mouth is a bit more positive but more so in the "it's an alright film" category.

They still make ungodly amounts of money from Harry Potter movies. They will be fine.

Anth0ny

it's going to get fucking destroyed. bad reviews and negative word of mouth is everything these days, unless you are transformers.

first weekend will be decent, second weekend will see a MASSIVE drop.

Does Will Smith still have the same kind of Box office draw that he used to? Will be interesting to see if he can get arses on seats for a supposed bad movie or it's another After Earth and Wild Wild West for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom