• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Everyone's still mad about Bravely Defaults ending requirements, so it's not surprising you feel alone.

Which were bullshit and the final boss was just a fucking sponge and a rehash of a prior boss.

Which is why I'm optimistic for Second.

*cough*Persona 5*cough*

But I'm actually really excited for the new Zelda. It's like Twilight Princess had sex with Skyward Swords art and item design and gave birth to glorious a glorious Wind Waker style but-without-the-whole-sailing-thing-and-with-a-cool-horse-you-can-jump-off-of-and-shoot-fucking-arrows-in-the-air-mother-fucker open world.

All of my excitement for the new zelda was killed by skyward sword. I'm gonna have to hear some really good shit from zelda U before I buy it

I have to finish demon, dark, and dark 2... Also i'll wait for the PC port before I get too excite.
If you know what you're doing, you can breeze through DaS in about 5 hours.
You're not the only one, but I don't have a PS4
and the Souls games don't really appeal to me at all, since I'm more into scifi than fantasy.
I'm the opposite, I dislike SciFi and like fantasy
Nope. I don't care for the souls games, so I probly won't for bloodborne either.

I always thought everyone in here liked the Souls games.

This is news to me.
Man, I can't remember if it's episode 11 or 12 or whatever, but fuck, that shit gets fucking real as hell near the ending and it's the best.

I guess you just don't like video games.

Everyone's still mad about Bravely Defaults ending requirements, so it's not surprising you feel alone.
I really don't.

Yes, test scores are what really matter. Not literacy or important life skills like financial competence, but arbitrary test scores that mean basically nothing in the real world.
We're in agreement. It gets kinda irritating when some teachers constantly shove that down our throats, as if it's some type of grand accomplishment.

It feels weird that they are pushing friendship of SEES way too hard. While they weren't total enemies, they had more conflict with each than the movie depicts other than Shinji and Ken at that point IIRC. Yukari's beach scene seemed super off. I really didn't like how they changed the dialogue from move on with your life and encouraging stuff about her dad to what about hanging out with SEES. While I do like the characterization of the silent protagonsists in the adaptions, it feels way to unnatural here. Its weird to see Makoto just to stop and say maybe we should let the Dark Hour go on before dealing the final blow.

Maybe its just me tho.

I don't think they're pushing the friendship thing too hard. P3 the game did a poor job of conveying that SEES were all friends. It didn't have those a lot of those moments where the characters just interacted with each other like P4 did. My guess is that they're trying to fix that with the movie. I also don't have a problem with the way they are handling Makoto. Having him start off cold and apathetic and then having him slowly become more outgoing and friendly is great. That's how I imagined he was when I played the game. The scene with Yukari at the beach I agree with, though. I don't know why they changed that.
I super agree. The cast of P4 you could totally believe would be friends when the murder investigation ends, but SEES? They might tolerate each others' company but I really don't see them going out to the movies or anything like that if it's not related to the incidents.

You forget that they all want to Yakushima together. Also there's a week where you can go out and see movies with different characters.

I'm playing with her in Challenge mode and:
-Five CMs give her Personas absurd utility
-Her sweep covers the whole stage
-Her Mediarahan is mind-boggling and I'm struggling to find a use for it

Truly she is the Ultimate Ultra Suplex Hold.
Because it's her FA...!
I have yet to find a use for mediarahan, I think it is useless personally.

nah being half hispanic grants you magical powers of spicy tolerance
It isn't the spices I would be worried about in that equation

BestGAF question: What your favorite romantic comedy?
Super late but Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun

Zenfalcia

Also, I just finished with the first two missions in DmC Definitive Edition. Played it with Turbo and Hardcore mode enabled.

Yeah, that does feel more like actual Devil May Cry. Though my mind has forgotten most of what the moves and shit from the original version was like that I am almost questioning whether they changed a lot of the animations to resemble old Dante's.

Oh well, this has definitely helped sate my appetite for DMC4 Vergil Edition. I'll play through more of it this weekend when I have time.
But is it enough to not make you hate donte?
It is basically incredible how this works. It doesn't even require any tolerance building, I can just immediately eat the spiciest whatever.

However, I'm pretty sure that comment wasn't about the spiciness as much as the source. . . .
spiciness is the best taste you need. Nothing else is needed.
If you know what you're doing, you can breeze through DaS in about 5 hours.
I don't know what i'm doing tho.

360pages

Also, I just finished with the first two missions in DmC Definitive Edition. Played it with Turbo and Hardcore mode enabled.

Yeah, that does feel more like actual Devil May Cry. Though my mind has forgotten most of what the moves and shit from the original version was like that I am almost questioning whether they changed a lot of the animations to resemble old Dante's.

Oh well, this has definitely helped sate my appetite for DMC4 Vergil Edition. I'll play through more of it this weekend when I have time.

That's actually a good thing. I might actually pick it up if I ever get a PS4. Though you can tell Capcom worked on it more then Ninja Theory did in that respect.

I am so goddamn skeptical about this. I hope it doesn't end up being a "here's is a massive, world where you can waste your time and increase your playtime by doing nothing for hours on end as you traveling through empty, insignificant areas and fight random scrubs every now and then. Enjoy your superficial garbage!" kind of open-world game.

I'm on a negativity streak today.

It should be a console MMO.

The new Zelda should be a console MMO, not the open world Skyrim experience w/Zelda assets.

Even Skyrim was kind of shallow when the wanderlust wore off.

I wish Zelda was given the Xenoverse treatment and just went with an expanded universe story but with MMO elements.

I don't dislike them. I just can't get into them cause they seem like they're six feet up their own ass trying to be as deliberately cryptic as possible.

Im kinda whatever mostly because my roommate jerks the games off so hard after I was the one who got him into the series and now he's all elitist about it. I'll pass on bloodborne for the time being

Emouse

I don't dislike them. I just can't get into them cause they seem like they're six feet up their own ass trying to be as deliberately cryptic as possible.

I always thought of them as the opposite, keep is as vague as possible because it's the gameplay that matters more, if you want the story you dig for it

Zenfalcia

I am so goddamn skeptical about this. I hope it doesn't end up being a "here's is a massive, world where you can waste your time and increase your playtime by doing nothing for hours on end as you traveling through empty, insignificant areas and fight random scrubs every now and then. Enjoy your superficial garbage!" kind of open-world game.

It's fine since you make valid points.
I don't think they're pushing the friendship thing too hard. P3 the game did a poor job of conveying that SEES were all friends. It didn't have those a lot of those moments where the characters just interacted with each other like P4 did. My guess is that they're trying to fix that with the movie. I also don't have a problem with the way they are handling Makoto. Having him start off cold and apathetic and then having him slowly become more outgoing and friendly is great. That's how I imagined he was when I played the game. The scene with Yukari at the beach I agree with, though. I don't know why they changed that.

You forget that they all want to Yakushima together. Also there's a week where you can go out and see movies with different characters.
I havent seen it yet, but they're probablt saving up for cannon girl, since they can't have other things ruining that. How else will they get that
rooftop ending

360pages

To be fair, say what you will about things like Skyrim and Oblivion, there is a lot of shit to do most of the time. Even if I personally do not enjoy them as much as I should.

I disagree with them being friends. They felt way more of a group of kids that come together and fight. I believe they aknowledge this during Q where they compare teams.
I have yet to find a use for mediarahan, I think it is useless personally.
Its to recover from mind charge which reduces HP to awakening.

But is it enough to not make you hate donte?

spiciness is the best taste you need. Nothing else is needed.

I don't know what i'm doing tho.
Max the Claymore, get a decent medium shield and never go above 25% equip weight.

Keep in mind that all that "cryptic" lore is mostly just the designers being lazy and having a fanbase that like to overthink a lot of things.

Cryptic? Some things can be slightly difficult to figure out, sure, but I certainly wouldn't say cryptic. What do you mean exactly?
Maybe cryptic isn't the right word. I don't like how I have to hunt down stories through shit like item descriptions or conjure up some reason why tarkus is dead and hangin out in a corner or why those stupid snake monsters are in sens fortress.

After thinking about testing, it reminded me about how the vast majority of the 2,800 or so students at my school bombed the math portion of the PARCC test. That thing was fucking bullshit. Most of it was stuff that actually hadn't been taught to us yet. From what I hear from some of the teachers, shit went really poorly. A lot of people just skipped through, because they were legitimately not taught this stuff yet. We're still taking the lit portion, but I don't have high hopes for it yet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think the Souls series takes a reductionist approach to exhibition and lore, but I don't see that translating into being pretentious. Rather, the series wants to be subtle about it and let you draw your own conclusions without forcing your eyes open with a bunch of explosions, hamfisted dialogue, and dramatic setpieces.

You can be as invested in the story of a Souls game as you choose to be, but it's always clear that a lot of thought went into it.

I disagree with them being friends. They felt way more of a group of kids that come together and fight. I believe they aknowledge this during Q where they compare teams.

I feel like in Q they were taken out at a time when they weren't truly close enough to be best friends? Maybe?

They were. PQ takes place in the middle of P3 and the middle of P4 (Don't ask me how that works.) While the P3 cast don't start out as good pals, by the end of the game they're pretty close. This demonstrated more in Arena and Ultimax.

croten

Maybe cryptic isn't the right word. I don't like how I have to hunt down stories through shit like item descriptions or conjure up some reason why tarkus is dead and hangin out in a corner or why those stupid snake monsters are in sens fortress.

Then don't think about it. You don't need to know why they are there to enjoy the game.

Zenfalcia

Yukari?
P3 spoiler:
I think it's aigis, think about it, who is facinated with the mc from the beginning, hell she made it her mission to protect him. To top it off they have to have the end when he's on her lap and slowly going to sleep on the roof. If she wasn't cannon girl that would be weird af.
Max the Claymore, get a decent medium shield and never go above 25% equip weight.
K.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
All of my excitement for the new zelda was killed by skyward sword. I'm gonna have to hear some really good shit from zelda U before I buy it
Understandable. I'm crazy because I buy every Zelda whether it's good or not because I need to experience it. Maybe I'll like it, I don't know.

I also really nervous about how they are going to go about doing that. The only way I see it working is if they do a similar thing to Oracle of Seasons or Twilight Princess and have shittons of caves or small settlements you can interact with/ natural shit you can explore and find rare items/ treasure in (caves and the like).

I would love to see cave systems, tons of towns, and mini dungeons, but that may be stretching it.

P3 spoiler:
I think it's aigis, think about it, who is facinated with the mc from the beginning, hell she made it her mission to protect him. To top it off they have to have the end when he's on her lap and slowly going to sleep on the roof. If she wasn't cannon girl that would be weird af.

K.

It's the equivalent of using the greatsword in DS2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I tried doing that. And then I couldn't get into the game cause I didn't feel the need to go on.

The reward is always going to be the experience, discovery, and atmosphere. If that's not enough, then Souls games probably just aren't prioritizing the things you care about.

After thinking about testing, it reminded me about how the vast majority of the 2,800 or so students at my school bombed the math portion of the PARCC test. That thing was fucking bullshit. Most of it was stuff that actually hadn't been taught to us yet. From what I hear from some of the teachers, shit went really poorly. A lot of people just skipped through, because they were legitimately not taught this stuff yet. We're still taking the lit portion, but I don't have high hopes for it yet.
The fuck is PARCC?

Oh, that I actually love. I love how, aside from a few weird shit, everything about the world has a purpose. The environment and architecture, enemy locations, the armor they wear, the descriptions everything has and having to uncover the secrets of the world piece by piece. I think it's great. I prefer it to it getting cutscenes or the game blatantly telling us everything.
And that's great. Like I said, I don't dislike them, and I'm glad they exist. They're just not for me.

Skrams

Not me, Jack.

I chose Codename STEAM over Rodea and Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS over Splatoon.

You know Rodea is in September and Splatoon doesn't really have a release date yet right.

Which were bullshit and the final boss was just a fucking sponge and a rehash of a prior boss.

Which is why I'm optimistic for Second.

Not excusing it or anything. It just makes sense to me people would hop on board for the first game as it was the first of the series then immediately get off the train due to the dumb ending requirements.

I really don't.

It's cool. We've all been a horrible person once or twice. Maybe.

Or just ignore it all and play the video game. You don't need to give a shit about the item descriptions and unraveling the story at all. Save that shit for some guy on youtube to explain it all to you or for a second playthrough where you have more information after playing through it once.

You know Rodea is in September and Splatoon doesn't really have a release date yet right.

Not excusing it or anything. It just makes sense to me people would hop on board for the first game as it was the first of the series then immediately get off the train due to the dumb ending requirements.

It's cool. We've all been a horrible person once or twice. Maybe.

Or just ignore it all and play the video game. You don't need to give a shit about the item descriptions and unraveling the story at all. Save that shit for some guy on youtube to explain it all to you or for a second playthrough where you have more information after playing through it once.
Hm..I'm not that excited for MGS5 either, I wanna hear how it is before I buy it.
Not even berserk?

No online pictures?

Well, i have to get to the sword first, so i'll figure out some set ups.
You find it in a chest in No Mans Wharf in the same room as Gavlan, or you can buy it from Vengarl in the Shaded Woods.
Hm..I'm not that excited for MGS5 either, I wanna hear how it is before I buy it.

Then don't think about it. You don't need to know why they are there to enjoy the game.

Exactly.

Playing Zelda 1, you just needed to know that Ganon was the force you're fighting.

In Dark Souls, it's the same concept. You're fighting for your life against the powers that made the land what it is.

You can infer as much as you wish to infer.

It's the equivalent of using the greatsword in DS2.
I agree. I think the claymore is super overrated.
Not even berserk?

No online pictures?

snake-4.jpg

Xiraiya

I think the Souls series takes a reductionist approach to exhibition and lore, but I don't see that translating into being pretentious. Rather, the series wants to be subtle about it and let you draw your own conclusions without forcing your eyes open with a bunch of explosions, hamfisted dialogue, and dramatic setpieces.

You can be as invested in the story of a Souls game as you choose to be, but it's always clear that a lot of thought went into it.
I agree.
I could definitely see how that kind of story telling could become pretentious but by no means have I ever gotten that impression from any of the souls games.

That whole series is all about "Less is more", and it works so well.

Top Bottom