• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing it guys. Getting to the Sonic Adventure LP after this Mystery Box. I decided to skip some LP's I had no interest in (Specifically BB and Mad World) but I'm getting there.

I'm doing it guys. Getting to the Sonic Adventure LP after this Mystery Box. I decided to skip some LP's I had no interest in (Specifically BB and Mad World) but I'm getting there.

The Sonic LP is actually pretty great. No idea how BB is because spoiers and I didn't enjoy Madworld a lot, it dragged a bit.

What has caused you to skip out?
My last semester to get my AA so I didn't want to screw it up. I took a vacation week and booked everything like a month before and the week before realized it was the wrong week so I got set back but I caught up and passed everything.

The Sonic LP is actually pretty great. No idea how BB is because spoiers and I didn't enjoy Madworld a lot, it dragged a bit.
Welp. Looks like I was wrong, PS4's Youtube app is terrible when it comes to telling me what is actually next. Oh well. But yeah Madworld lost my interest pretty quickly and DS2 felt like a chore to get through.

"If you force them on their knees hard enough..."
Liam, no!
maxresdefault.jpg

I had a lot of fun with the combat, it's a fun little brawler with a goofy as hell story and characters. It's the weebiest thing thats ever been weebed by weaboos.
So it was on the vita originally then.

It does look fun though. I don't think I'd play it much if I did get it. I've barely looked at my vita since I got monhun.

I have no idea what the hell this game is. I kinda want it though.

Basically it's an open world game set in Akihabara, the Otaku capital of the world. It's a damn good recreation of the real life place as Liam showed and you can go around visiting the shops.

The combat is that you got turned in a Vampire sort of creature and have to fight other vampire sort of creatures by stripping their clothes and exposing them to more sunlight.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was rather disappointed with Akiba's Trip. Though most of my problems came from technical issues that apparently don't exist on the PS4 version, so yeah.

But then, I also didn't find the combat very fun either, so I guess that's something. Like, there's multiple endings and whatnot, but after beating it once I didn't feel like doing it again. Sold the game a while after.

Watching Shattered Memories is just making me want to get back to playing Silent Hill 2.

Shattered Memories is way better than Downcoming so far though.

Akiba's Trip localization is so absurdly hilarious and the voice acting is pretty great too. Might have to pick this game up soon.

Silent Hill 2 is ok, I guess, if you wanna, I guess.

I mean, I hear its alright. I have it on my PS2, but I might have to go with the HD Collection because I hear it made it way better.

I mean, I hear its alright. I have it on my PS2, but I might have to go with the HD Collection because I hear it made it way better.
The new actors in the HD collection are pretty fantastic, they put the old acting to shame really. And not having fog makes it so much easier to see.
I am puking

Skrams

Maybe I'm just overestimating their ability to find some weird shit, but it's a bit disappointing how mainstream and safe creepy anime bullshit is if that makes sense. Maybe I just feel that way because they've gone with the low hanging fruit of Senran Kagura and Akiba's Trip recently. Or maybe I just know too much about creepy anime bullshit since none of this shit is new at all. They probably should of imported that Natsuiro Highschool game to try and be ahead of curve.

Also jeez, this game reminded me Kodomo no Jikan exists. Thanks Japan.

Sad that they also didn't get to show off JoJo moves.

AkibasTrip.jpg

Literally the same move Dire does to Dio in Part 1.

Akiba's Trip localization is so absurdly hilarious and the voice acting is pretty great too. Might have to pick this game up soon.

Dub seems pretty average to me. They at least seem to know how characters tones are supposed to be I guess, but it mostly just seems like the writing is quirky more than the dub being anything.

Nordicus

Also jeez, this game reminded me Kodomo no Jikan exists. Thanks Japan.
And the reference to that was rather reserved in an unashamed creepy anime bullshit game, when you consider the actual source material. I should know, I read i- OH SHIT IT'S THE COPS, RUN!

[JAILED]

That Akiba's Trip had so many things that bug me about these niche Japanese games. And I'm not even talking about the creepy anime bullshit of it all.

• The serious j-pop opening that completely clashes with the tone of 99% of the game
  • The protag being this stereotypical otaku but is dressed well and wow look at this huge cast of girls he can hook up with.
  • The cheap cinematics and character portraits that only have the mouths flapping and slide around
  • The off-brand Persona 3/4 UI
  • Just generally how this game checks off as many generic anime cliches it could in half an hour.
Nothing about this game feels genuine but the work the devs put in to simulation Akihabara. Oh and the extreme not-vampire strip combat.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That Akiba's Trip had so many things that bug me about these niche Japanese games. And I'm not even talking about the creepy anime bullshit of it all.

• The serious j-pop opening that completely clashes with the tone of 99% of the game
  • The protag being this stereotypical otaku but is dressed well and wow look at this huge cast of girls he can hook up with.
  • The cheap cinematics and character portraits that only have the mouths flapping and slide around
  • Just generally how this game checks off as many generic anime cliches it could in half an hour.
Nothing about this game feels genuine but the work the devs put in to simulation Akihabara. Oh and the extreme not-vampire strip combat.

These are all really great points. So many of these niche anime games feel really cookie-cutter. I mean I still love them, for some reason (not Akiba's Trip though, just in general), but yeah...they're really same-y.

1) What's wrong with the music? It's standard Anime stuff.
2) Being an otaku doesn't mean you have to wear some otaku uniform
3) It's clearly on a budget
4) Honestly would you notice if they didn't point it out? I know I didn't.
5) It's a game base in Akihabara, of course they're gonna go for every tropes.

These are all really great points. So many of these niche anime games feel really cookie-cutter. I mean I still love them, for some reason (not Akiba's Trip though, just in general), but yeah...they're really same-y.

How else would they get funded? They have to be cookie cutter and formulaic in order to be something you can sell to people.

TBH, the Akiba's Trip game looks...boring. I don't know how one can make a clothes stripping game boring, but they did it.

It seems like the appeal was to recreate Akihabara for non-Japanese audiences and less about gameplay mechanics dedicated to stripping people's clothes off.

I assume it's not really a game afforded a luxury of doing whatever it wants. A lot of that is starting budget, and coupled with needing to sell.

Take into account Japanese business structure and the market and bam.

E: It also might not have had bigger ambitions at any point, but that's not a bad thing. Totally get why some people wouldn't give a fuck about it, also. Different strokes, etc.

MrHoot

Woop, update from Matt on Facebook/Twitter !

Three videos today! A quick look at the continuing adventures of a billionaire who dresses up like a rodent, Woolie and I have quite a tyme in England, and dickbutts galore in Silent Hill!

ye ye ye ye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom