• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

Ugh, they start with the weakest of platinum games of course. Seriously I rather have another episode of them playing the Storm games than the Korra game. (It's not a bad game, but I would put it below a lot of license games this gen just in terms of looks and play. I know it's a budget game, but I don't think it really needs more than a one shot)

They've done Anarchy Reigns, Revengance and W101. This isn't the first Platinum game they've played

EDIT: Sorry and Bayonetta 2

360pages

They've done Anarchy Reigns, Revengance and W101. This is the first Platinum game they've played

True, but they are probably going to do full LPs of both Bayo games as well as W101 since that was a one shot.

Like I said, the Korra game is really dull on the first playthough and I would put it below all of the storm games in terms of content for the medium and a lot of other action games. I know it's probably only going to be about 4-6 parts...but still.

This is probably how people felt when Gruacamelee was on and they didn't find it interesting. Though I can wait for Bayonetta.

croten

True, but they are probably going to do full LPs of both Bayo games as well as W101 since that was a one shot.

Like I said, the Korra game is really dull on the first playthough and I would put it below all of the storm games in terms of content for the medium and a lot of other action games. I know it's probably only going to be about 4-6 parts...but still.

This is probably how people felt when Gruacamelee was on and they didn't find it interesting. Though I can wait for Bayonetta.

Did they say their doing other Platinum games on the podcast?

Shackzam

Who reminds you of who?
Kiyoshi reminds me of Aaron for some reason.
Shingo is Oberon
Takehito is whoever created the doujin rangers.
Jouji and Reiji, I can't think of anyone
Kurihara covers everybody in the thread.
I'm only 102 chapters in by the way.

So far, Tatsuya. I fucking love Kaneko's art so much.

If you go to random places that you aren't supposed to go yet, it gives a lot of the characters characterization.

It is, you should read it! Believe me, I probably have the biggest Prison school collection in Switzerland!

I'll put it on my list

No youtube yet? Looks like i'll be waiting for a while to watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VDRr2Tn1Pk

Zenfalcia

Shingo is Oberon
Hm.. ok then..

that's pretty far in i stopped around 60's.. gonna need to pick it up again.

360pages

Id hope so. It's a 15 dollar game.

Well, I know, but at the same time I don't think it should get a free pass for a lot of its problems. I'd rate it around a 6 or a 7.

I guess it's more the fact that they defended the game rather vigorously while not to long ago they dismissed another license game because of said license.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shingo is Oberon

r5KQEUS.png

I will say Missions 14-17 are easily the weakest part of the game, Mission 15 is a legit pace breaker.

Yeahh. I play through the game monthly. 1-8 are fucking perfect. Then I start losing speed around 9(while still enjoying the fuck out of it) 15 is the only mission I actively dislike, but the door glitch helps make it faster. I just hate trying to SS 15 on anything above normal because fuck that style requirement.

Well, I know, but at the same time I don't think it should get a free pass for a lot of its problems. I'd rate it around a 6 or a 7.

I guess it's more the fact that they defended the game rather vigorously while not to long ago they dismissed another license game because of said license.

That the graphics aren't as good as a full budget game? That it's not as polished as a full budget game? That it doesn't have as much content as a full budget game? Ok.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeahh. I play through the game monthly. 1-8 are fucking perfect. Then I start losing speed around 9(while still enjoying the fuck out of it) 15 is the only mission I actively dislike, but the door glitch helps make it faster. I just hate trying to SS on anything above normal because fuck that style requirement.

I think that everything up to Mission 13 has good pacing.

360pages

Yeahh. I play through the game monthly. 1-8 are fucking perfect. Then I start losing speed around 9(while still enjoying the fuck out of it) 15 is the only mission I actively dislike, but the door glitch helps make it faster. I just hate trying to SS on anything above normal because fuck that style requirement.

The problem is the mission is boring, it could have been completely cut it from the game and not lose a thing honestly. It ruins the pacing and there is nothing to it. Even if they had to reuse content there was better ways of doing so.

360pages

That the graphics aren't as good as a full budget game? That it's not as polished as a full budget game? That it doesn't have as much content as a full budget game? Ok.

Polish isn't something that should be connected to a budget though. I'd rate plenty of 15-10 dollar games above the Korra game, I'm not saying it's awful, but it being a budget game isn't something they can skip out on.

Plus a lot of the games problems were more desgin choices then not having a budget. (Locking your bending, the Naga missions, some enemy encounters)

Oberon

Banned
Shingo is Oberon

Wait, you're actually reading it?!
I need your detailed oppinion and thoughts on it? What do you like/dislike, your favorite part? etc.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The problem is the mission is boring, it could have been completely cut it from the game and not lose a thing honestly. It ruins the pacing and there is nothing to it. Even if they had to reuse content there was better ways of doing so.

I don't think it's a huge problem. Mission 15 is undoubtedly the weakest mission in the game, but I think the reused areas weren't that bad. They added elements or twists to each environment. DMC4's environment reuse was bad. DMC3's was better.

Missions 14-17 arguably had a lot of filler, but there needed to be buffer content there for the finale. It was important for setting things up and it let you play without a ton of exposition.

Polish isn't something that should be connected to a budget though. I'd rate plenty of 15-10 dollar games above the Korra game, I'm not saying it's awful, but it being a budget game isn't something they can skip out on.

Plus a lot of the games problems were more desgin choices then not having a budget. (Locking your bending, the Naga missions, some enemy encounters)

See that's a much more fair argument.

What you were doing was comparing a $60 full budget naruto game with an engine that's already been in place for years with a $15 Korra game that probably had a year of development.

My problem with it is the enemy encounters are built around Fallen, Arachne, and Blood Goyle. I can't consistently meet the style requirements as a result unless I use Gunslinger. The mission itself is only around 5-10 minutes so im not bothered by how tedious its objectives and recycling are. I just hate all of the combat scenarios and the resulting chore of getting a good ranking on it.

360pages

See that's a much more fair argument.

What you were doing was comparing a $60 full budget naruto game with an engine that's already been in place for years with a $15 Korra game that probably had a year of development.

Fair enough, it's not really a fair comparison. Though even then I would rate the first storm game above the Korra game.

Also, I guess I was imagining things... really wished they do a full LP, though some action games are better with quick cuts.

360pages

My problem with it is the enemy encounters are built around Fallen, Arachne, and Blood Goyle. I can't consistently meet the style requirements as a result unless I use Gunslinger. The mission itself is only around 5-10 minutes so im not bothered by how tedious its objectives and recycling are. I just hate all of the combat scenarios and the resulting chore of getting a good ranking on it.

That and you are right, the style requirement is hilarious since you can beat most of the mission and only have one fight. I just dread it whenever I get to it, I also agree everything up to mission 13 is really amazing paced. New areas bosses and ideas are thrown at you. Then it feels like they realized they still have a 1/3 of the game left and kind of just goes through kind of drunk like.

DMC3 is the better game compared to DMC4, both games have completely awful reuse area ideas and sections that can be cut.

Shackzam

Wait, you're actually reading it?!
I need your detailed oppinion and thoughts on it? What do you like/dislike, your favorite part? etc.
My favorite part so far is everything with the ark of Kiyoshi and Takehito planning the
escape
. All of the shenanigans that happen are fucking hilarious. I love almost everything about prison school right now, all of the characters are either pretty good or fantastic. Every character makes me "feel" a certain way and I love that I can identify with them that way. I also love any part where the boys interact with the girls. I think the only thing I don't like about it, is that the pacing right now is a little weird because I have no idea what they are going to be building up to. I can keep on writing, but this is my basic thoughts right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC3 is the better game compared to DMC4, both games have completely awful reuse area ideas and sections that can be cut.

I think that cutting those missions would actually negatively impact the pacing of the greatest rivalry ever within a game. If they retooled them, sure. But I think they did that out of necessity rather than laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom