• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Hey guys. So I have a question for you all.

I am thinking about doing some Lets Play videos. I love to talk and can bull shit my way through any conversation really (Planning on going to law school later in life).

The idea I had was to play a few games on the lowest quality video settings possible, even though my pc can handle them on the highest possible.

The reason being, many low quality settings cause really weird things to happen to your game. One example being that in Fallout New Vegas if you lower your settings enough, some character models dont even have animations and just kinda glide over the ground towards you. Imagine Super Smash Bros trophies attacking you.

Essentially it just adds to the comedy IMO.

So what do you guys think of the idea?

I think you'll run out of janky games soon enough, and it will get boring after the first few episodes.

Duplolas

Banned
I think you'll run out of janky games soon enough, and it will get boring after the first few episodes.

Well. If it does get boring then I probably will just stop. But I will never run out of janky games. Trust me.

Croten is right. Also: Be sure to keep resolution and try keeping texture quality high, and see if it still does the dumb bullshit. If it's too ugly it'll be unapealling. It's not a terrible idea though.

Well. What gave me the idea was I bought the Far Cry bundle off steam, I think it was last week, and decided, HEY! Why not try running Far Cry 3 on my laptop that has AMD integrated graphics. Well what happened next was amazing.

It actually ran.

Funny thing is, it was on all of the lowest setting and then full screen 800x600 resolution. I got about around 50 FPS on it too. But it wasn't until I played a bit further along until I got the idea.

I got to the point where you get to the first hub town. Dennis (the main NPC helper) was talking to me about being special and the chosen one and all of that fun stuff and then I just burst out laughing.

After the character you play looks over at a few of the civilian women, Dennis ends up saying something along the lines of "Do you see what you like? I could have any one of these beautiful women"

Funny thing is, these "Women" are in reality pixelated monsters that have boobs similar to the pyramid ones Laura Croft had and faces that were just smeared together pixels, as if their faces were painted on and then got wet and dripped a little bit.

But this kind of stuff happens almost constantly. Bullet wounds are flat 2d models pressed up against 3d models. Water is impossible to see in because of the "HD WATER EFFECTS". And so on.

So, coming up after Thanksgiving Break is over, I think I am going to try it out. Then you all can tell me what you think. How well did I personally do. How well does this gimmick actually work. And so on.

croten

Well. If it does get boring then I probably will just stop. But I will never run out of janky games. Trust me.

Well. What gave me the idea was I bought the Far Cry bundle off steam, I think it was last week, and decided, HEY! Why not try running Far Cry 3 on my laptop that has AMD integrated graphics. Well what happened next was amazing.

It actually ran.

Funny thing is, it was on all of the lowest setting and then full screen 800x600 resolution. I got about around 50 FPS on it too. But it wasn't until I played a bit further along until I got the idea.

I got to the point where you get to the first hub town. Dennis (the main NPC helper) was talking to me about being special and the chosen one and all of that fun stuff and then I just burst out laughing.

After the character you play looks over at a few of the civilian women, Dennis ends up saying something along the lines of "Do you see what you like? I could have any one of these beautiful women"

Funny thing is, these "Women" are in reality pixelated monsters that have boobs similar to the pyramid ones Laura Croft had and faces that were just smeared together pixels, as if their faces were painted on and then got wet and dripped a little bit.

But this kind of stuff happens almost constantly. Bullet wounds are flat 2d models pressed up against 3d models. Water is impossible to see in because of the "HD WATER EFFECTS". And so on.

So, coming up after Thanksgiving Break is over, I think I am going to try it out. Then you all can tell me what you think. How well did I personally do. How well does this gimmick actually work. And so on.

This is a gimmick that runs of steam quickly. I would recommend only doing one episode per game, like SBF machinima episodes

Squishy3

Are you guys still hyped for Mighty No. 9?
i kind of wish i hadn't backed it now because inafune's turned it into a franchise over a year before the game came out, i'm pretty sure that's a new record for fastest something has become a franchise

i wonder what the fuck they're going to call the sequel, they can't just call it mighty no.9 2

Duplolas

Banned
This is a gimmick that runs of steam quickly. I would recommend only doing one episode per game, like SBF machinima episodes

Yeah. I was thinking about not doing a Full LP on games. Maybe like 3 videos per game, each being about a half hour long or something along those lines.

Thanks for all of the input and help btw guys. :D

i kind of wish i hadn't backed it now because inafune's turned it into a franchise over a year before the game came out, i'm pretty sure that's a new record for fastest something has become a franchise

i wonder what the fuck they're going to call the sequel, they can't just call it mighty no.9 2

yes this is pretty much my feelings as well.

I fucking adore Megaman, especially X, but I'm confident Shovel Knight will be a better Megaman game than MN9.

The Megaman love in Smash makes my heart ache with happiness.

360pages

MN9 seems closer to the X series than regular Megaman.

With that said, Shovel Knight is better than most classic megaman games regardless.

If we still had adventure mode in Smash, we could have played that with Megaman. (Seriously, Smash monopoly sucks it's a mode you play once, realize that you are just adding fluff to reach an end you could have made in regular VS mode, I rather have adventure mode.)

If we still had adventure mode in Smash, we could have played that with Megaman. (Seriously, Smash monopoly sucks it's a mode you play once, realize that you are just adding fluff to reach an end you could have made in regular VS mode, I rather have adventure mode.)

I like Smash Tour. It's a nice alternative to just regular matches and it solves the biggest issue most people have with Smash Run, the 1 minute matches.

360pages

I just think it's really silly inclusion. Smash Tour just seems...meh. It's like Mario party, but without the friendship destroying panels and mini-games.

Oberon

Banned
Best part about that segment is that it's an anime only sub plot and the way it transitions back into the main story (when Arclight is giving his speech on the big hologram in the sky) is fucking absurd and I love it.

It managed to make me feel unconfortable, that somthing.

I know of MegaMan only because of the MegaMan NT Warrior anime, so when I think of MegaMan, I think of this version
megaman.jpg

I like Smash Tour. It's a nice alternative to just regular matches and it solves the biggest issue most people have with Smash Run, the 1 minute matches.

I wish they would have used all those Nintendo enemies for an actuall Adventure Mode instead of Smash Run.

360pages

Tour is the easiest way to demonstrate the fun of making and using custom characters.

I think smash run did it in a more natural and break neck way. Longer final challenges probably would have been better. And maybe alter them slightly so it's not about luck but more things are put in deciding the winner.

Smash run, feels like a small mini tour of some of the enemies of the series.

I think smash run did it in a more natural and break neck way. Longer final challenges probably would have been better. And maybe alter them slightly so it's not about luck but more things are put in deciding the winner.

Smash run, feels like a small mini tour of some of the enemies of the series.

Run is a better example, yes, but that's not viable offline on the Wii U. But I prefer the closing fight of Tour over Run.

360pages

The Naruto thread was locked, it reached a critical mass of awful after awhile. I kept trying to talk about things outside of shipping, but they wouldn't have none of it.

360pages

Eh, I would argue Naruto as a series on a whole isn't nearly as bad as people say. Not amazing, but a 6/7 out of 10 series with big flaws, but it's good points and ideas outweigh the bad.

I do feel like people that call it the worst thing ever never actually read a truly awful manga/seen a truly awful anime.

Kind of like the people who say CoD is the worst game ever, when they probably never played a game like Superman 64 or Sonic 06

croten

Eh, I would argue Naruto as a series on a whole isn't nearly as bad as people say. Not amazing, but a 6/7 out of 10 series with big flaws, but it's good points and ideas outweigh the bad.

I do feel like people that call it the worst thing ever never actually read a truly awful manga/seen a truly awful anime.

Kind of like the people who say CoD is the worst game ever, when they probably never played a game like Superman 64 or Sonic 06

6/10 to me is something to stay the fuck away from.

360pages

6/10 to me is something to stay the fuck away from.

Really, Kill La Kill is pretty much only a 7/10 mostly due to the slow middle and what not.

GL is an 8/10 for me, mostly due to the starting episodes.

I would put only a few series at a nine or 10. Dragon Ball (Not Z, but the original) would get a 9/10 honestly.

Really, Kill La Kill is pretty much only a 7/10 mostly due to the slow middle and what not.

I would put only a few series at a nine or 10. Dragon Ball (Not Z, but the original) would get a 9/10 honestly.

I love DB and DBZ as a nostalgia series, but as far as the quality of it it's pretty god damn garbage.

I can't think of any 10/10 series because there's always something about a show I'd always want more from but I'd personally put Stein's Gate up there as a 9/10 series.

360pages

I love DB and DBZ as a nostalgia series, but as far as the quality of it it's pretty god damn garbage.

I can't think of any 10/10 series because there's always something about a show I'd always want more from but I'd personally put Stein's Gate up there as a 9/10 series.

Dragon Ball Z, sure..

Dragon Ball? No I will fight you, it's pretty much how to do an adventure story right, going from place to place meeting new people expanding the world while characters personalities play off one another.

I would rate it above most shonens today simply on the virtue that it knows that it's and adventure story and uses that rather than trying to have a deeper meaning it plays off itself.

but then the length comes into factor here, you may feel that KLK is only a 7 (which is complete opinion and will change between person but I digress) but it is only 25 episodes so while it may only be serviceable to you it is done way fucking quicker than Naruto. IMO there is nothing worst in entertainment then something that is completely average and just passable and dragging that on for however many hundreds of episodes that will be when it is finished.

360pages

but then the length comes into factor here, you may feel that KLK is only a 7 (which is complete opinion and will change between person but I digress) but it is only 25 episodes so while it may only be serviceable to you it is done way fucking quicker than Naruto. IMO there is nothing worst in entertainment then something that is completely average and just passable and dragging that on for however many hundreds of episodes that will be when it is finished.

Honestly, I like longer series as a whole, but weirdly KlK probably would have been better if it was a shorter 12-16 episodes. That being said the Naruto Anime is flat our garbage, but the Manga I find is okay most of the time.

I also find that Dragon Ball gets better over time, so it's 100+ Episode count is fine considering I think each arc is actually better than the last.

Honestly, I like longer series as a whole, but weirdly KlK probably would have been better if it was a shorter 12-16 episodes. That being said the Naruto Anime is flat our garbage, but the Manga I find is okay most of the time.

I actually think quite the opposite. The anime has managed to make some of the manga's worst scenes actually seem slightly better simply because the anime cast is quite good and the studio animating it sometimes does a fantastic job.

Sometimes.

360pages

I actually think quite the opposite. The anime has managed to make some of the manga's worst scenes actually seem slightly better simply because the anime cast is quite good and the studio animating it sometimes does a fantastic job.

Sometimes.

Some of the filler in Naruto is awful, and some animations are amazing, but at the same time, it can be really awful. Turning key moments into something out of flash. Hell, I think this is the most apparent during the war arc and against the 10 tails.

Some of the filler in Naruto is awful, and some animations are amazing, but at the same time, it can be really awful. Turning key moments into something out of flash. Hell, I think this is the most apparent during the war arc and against the 10 tails.

I don't really like considering filler because it's just that, filler.

As for the War, I honestly haven't watched it since the 10 Tails was revived. I decided to just stop and wait until the anime completely finishes and just marathon it all. Maybe it'll make the War seem better when watching it in a burst instead of following the disaster week by week.

Edit: Oops double post.

360pages

I don't really like considering filler because it's just that, filler.

As for the War, I honestly haven't watched it since the 10 Tails was revived. I decided to just stop and wait until the anime completely finishes and just marathon it all. Maybe it'll make the War seem better when watching it in a burst instead of following the disaster week by week.

Edit: Oops double post.

Kakashi got a well animated fight, like he always does. But everyone else? Nope, only key fights are animated well and even then...

That being said, I think some people really need to go back and watch the original Dragon Ball, I don't care if it's 100+ Episodes, humor story and world building are all on display perfectly with that series

Kakashi got a well animated fight, like he always does. But everyone else? Nope, only key fights are animated well and even then...

That being said, I think some people really need to go back and watch the original Dragon Ball, I don't care if it's 100+ Episodes, humor story and world building are all on display perfectly with that series

I have been meaning to go back and watch it some day because I haven't actually seen the King Piccolo and Red Ribbon saga's start to finish. Always just caught the chunks here and there.

360pages

I have been meaning to go back and watch it some day because I haven't actually seen the King Piccolo and Red Ribbon saga's start to finish. Always just caught the chunks here and there.

Like I said, it's probably easily one of the best shonens out there and I honestly think it gets better and better with each story arc.

croten

If even 1 episode is dull then it isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom