• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

If even 1 episode is dull then it isn't worth it.

Well that's silly since I know plenty of great series that have dull episodes. (GL has two really meh episodes) Hell Gintama first 20 EP are really meh and slow.

Short series usually fail to leave an impact outside a select few, and as a result they have to rush character development or certain characters don't get screen time.

croten

Well that's silly since I know plenty of great series that have dull episodes. (GL has two really meh episodes) Hell Gintama first 20 EP are really meh and slow.

Short series usually fail to leave an impact outside a select few.

Never watching Gintama then.

I disagree about short series lacking impact. Gurren Lagann changed my outlook on life within the first 8 episodes.

I disagree about short series lacking impact. Gurren Lagann changed my outlook on life within the first 8 episodes.

Going through it now, I wish I didn't stop 5 years ago. If only I had time I could watch the rest of it. I really like that
religious
episode
about the gunman and the resource accumulation.

Whats the rule of 5?

I don't watch anything longer than 26-27 episodes

Uh, no actually

Again, see my last statement.

If you don't have the time to watch a long series that's understandable, but passing on a series simply because of it's length is an unfortunate thing.

If it helps any, Gintama, while it does have an over arching story is essentially episodic in that you could just pick up almost any arc and get a self contained story.

360pages

Never watching Gintama then.

I said most of the time, some like GL will.

That being said, I don't think GL will leave as large of an impact on how series and shows are made unlike Say one piece and even Naruto, and Dragon ball as well as Dragon ball Z.

Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z easily shape how shonens and animations were made for a time and even now. And I'm sure Naruto is probably going to do the same for the next up and coming generation of Shonens

croten

Again, see my last statement.

If you don't have the time to watch a long series that's understandable, but passing on a series simply because of it's length is an unfortunate thing.

If it helps any, Gintama, while it does have an over arching story is essentially episodic in that you could just pick up almost any arc and get a self contained story.

The only long series that I gave the time of day was Hajime no Ippo and that was very reluctantly at first. The thing with Ippo though was that I got drawn into it in the first fucking episode, heck I'm struggling to remember a bad episode.

The only long series that I gave the time of day was Hajime no Ippo and that was very reluctantly at first. The thing with Ippo though was that I got drawn into it in the first fucking episode, heck I'm struggling to remember a bad episode.

Gintama suffers from the same issue that series like Hunter x Hunter suffer from as well, and that's age.

The beginning is almost unwatchable these days when compared to other series. Honestly I'd recommend just checking out the Gintama Benizakura movie. It's based upon the first real arc in the series and is a pretty good introduction to the series as a whole.

croten

That is not entirely fair, I HATED the first 15 episodes or so of Eva but I knew there was a pay off at the end and stuck through it. A lot of people dislike TTGL's first few episodes as well

It's exaggeration but my point is that there is less time to fuck up in 27 episodes than 200.

360pages

Honestly, I usually skip shorter series mostly due to the fact that if I really want myself to connect to the characters and if it really doesn't leave an impact by 5 episodes. I know the series really doesn't have a lot of time left to fix problems.

360pages

It's exaggeration but my point is that there is less time to fuck up in 27 episodes than 200.

On the flip side I know plenty of series that get better and better as they go on. There is a certain charm in following characters from point to point.

Hell, the first arc in Dragon Ball is only 13 Episodes, and it sets the tone for the series somewhat, though fights get better and better as does the animation in some places.

On the flip side I know plenty of series that get better and better as they go on. There is a certain charm in following characters from point to point.

Hell, the first arc in Dragon Ball is only 13 Episodes, and it sets the tone for the series somewhat, though fights get better and better as does the animation in some places.

Series getting better with time is rarer than them becoming worse from overextending. JoJo is probably the only long thing I've read enough of to say it got better, and even then YMMV.

croten

I don't like stories that go on too long, characters are one thing but if a story never gets resolved it just bores me.

Series getting better with time is rarer than them becoming worse from overextending. JoJo is probably the only long thing I've read enough of to say it got better, and even then YMMV.

It is indeed very rare that they get better.

Take One Piece for example, 600+ episodes and while the previous arc was one of the worst the series has seen thus far, the current one is fucking outstanding. It honestly just depends on what story the author wants to tell at the time and if it's something the audience wants to see.

I don't like stories that go on too long, characters are one thing but if a story never gets resolved it just bores me.

That's why I recommend Gintama. Each arc is only about 2-6 episodes long as they're always resolved by the end.

Take One Piece for example, 600+ episodes and while the previous arc was one of the worst the series has seen thus far, the current one is fucking outstanding. It honestly just depends on what story the author wants to tell at the time and if it's something the audience wants to see.

Oh my god I forget what the last arc even was.

croten

Exactly, the thing with Jojo is that each part is mostly self contained so it's almost like a new show. Different protagonists, antagonists and overall plot.

360pages

I can understand that. Though I guess that depends on if it's a stand alone arc or if it is a over reaching story.

Dragon Ball all just have stand alone arcs. There is no singular goal, hell it only takes them 13 EP to get the Dragon balls, and after that none of them even really wants them. The goal changes.

Though a story like Inuyasha gets dumb as hell, since the goal never changes and the story has to bend over for it to work.

Exactly, the thing with Jojo is that each part is mostly self contained so it's almost like a new show. Different protagonists, antagonists and overall plot.
Araki once put the parts in different names instead of putting it along with Jojo. On part 7 and onward It has nothing to do with the rest of the series except for stands and some names.

croten

It is indeed very rare that they get better.

That's why I recommend Gintama. Each arc is only about 2-6 episodes long as they're always resolved by the end.

Sure, and I know that it's great and worth it and all but I will never watch it. 20 slow episodes at the start to me just means no.

Sure, and I know that it's great and worth it and all but I will never watch it. 20 slow episodes at the start to me just means no.

Fair enough.

I'd really suggest at least the movie though if you're ever bored. It's a pet peeve of mine when people avoid a series because of silly reasons. >.<

*cough* Maybe you guys will like ippo *cough*

Yeah Ippo's great because it doesn't just focus on Ippo. The main problem with long running series is that people will get tired of the character, so mixing it up with others won't make it so boring.

I really hate how there are characters that do nothing like Tenten

*cough* Maybe you guys will like ippo *cough*

I'm currently watching Ippo, it started amazingly well, and hearing it only goes up is crazy.

Stuff like Gintama and One Peice, I've never really seen, I trust it's good and want to read/watch it, but I know I'll never build up the energy to break into it. The JoJo Parts broke things up super well to make it easier to convince myself to start it, and then I got hooked.

Alfebit

Banned
So Liam was an AI all along?

woah.gif

Also the Far Cry 4 video actually made me want to try it out.

Stuff like Gintama and One Peice, I've never really seen, I trust it's good and want to read/watch it, but I know I'll never build up the energy to break into it. The JoJo Parts broke things up super well to make it easier to convince myself to start it, and then I got hooked.

It's definitely an intimidating task, but once you get going into the good stuff you'll marathon both series like no other.

360pages

Yeah Ippo's great because it doesn't just focus on Ippo. The main problem with long running series is that people will get tired of the character, so mixing it up with others won't make it so boring.

I really hate how there are characters that do nothing like Tenten

On the flip side you don't want a Bleach where every character gets to do something but as a result it slows down the blot greatly.

360pages

I started rewatching dragon ball after I picked up the Kai boxsets. I am currently 8 EP in, and it's really fun. I would probably marathon some of the series if I had more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom