• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent York

Neo Member
I'd like to join the sentiment that while we often seem to go off-topic, I enjoy this community. I'm constantly finding people with common interests, as well as being introduced to things I never would have found otherwise that I'm enjoying, and meeting likable people. It's one of the few places I've found where there actually feels like there is a reason for me to interact with, rather than just skim over things and lurk.

It's from Gintama. A character named Kyubei.

I knew i recognized her but wasn't too sure

Things have gotten rather serious in the last couple of days, it's like one of those moments in life where you look back on everything and suddenly have to make an important decision that will impact the future
It that where this thread is going?

Things have gotten rather serious in the last couple of days, it's like one of those moments in life where you look back on everything and suddenly have to make an important decision that will impact the future

I think that we're just worried that the new influx of people that will come Pat is shilling us a lot. While we love to go off topic, we really don't have that much discussion towards the best friends.

I'd consider talking about their videos/podcasts and sbf fan stuff to be on topic. If they bring up a new game or anime or something then that's fine too. However, posting your impressions on games/anime you're playing/watching, linking threads from other places on GAF, or anything similar is pretty much off topic. If you want to talk about those things with other frienders then just do it in a chat or something.

OK so can we go on topic and talk about why Cabela games looks so great??

Hunting and Killing showed me that the developers of that one Cabela game did an environment so much nicer looking than Skyrim. Liam was right.

i have that too many cooks song stuck in my head now. That video is fucking weird. I love it.

Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks.

Yes, we are at the crossroads of destiny.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Hunting and Killing showed me that the developers of that one Cabela game did an environment so much nicer looking than Skyrim. Liam was right.

I suspect it's because Cabela games are always made by different or fresh developers and if that's all the work a studio can get, then some will be motivated enough to put in the work to make it look nice.

I believe it's due to the games artstyle. Skyrim was built on a the theory that people wanted to do dumb quests and a lot of them. I believe they didn't put much effort into the detail of the environment and focused on the number of quests they could put in.

Cabela's focus was an immersive hunting experience. It's due to this that they put way more work into the detail of the hunting grounds.

I think the reason this place has become like this is because it's legitimately hard to have actual discussions on GAF. And like everyone has said, chats are just really inconvenient, as where this is right here on GAF, which a lot of us are already on a lot.

I do think the posting of other threads is a little much, but even then it leads to some interesting discussion from time to time.

Also, for game/anime impressions, I'm way more likely to watch or play any of those now that people I have a baseline for what their tastes are are recommending it to me. I'm more interested in hearing the impressions from someone I'm familiar with than a random person on here.

All of that stuff can and should be talked about elsewhere. I don't understand how people can find a chat to be inconvenient, but whatever. My point is that this is a thread for the Super Best Friends. Whatever reason you have for not wanting to discuss off topic stuff in their appropriate threads is not a justification for you to talk about them here.

Anyway, it makes no difference in the end. I'm not the moderator of this thread. These are just my 2 cents.

360pages

Geez, if I knew this was going to be a problem I would have just made a forum on a site that allows it and we can have off-topic conversations there.

It's more visually appealing the the chat, and while you just have to sign up to the site it's not that much of a hassle, and since it allows self moderation and what not it can be helpful.

If anyone is interested just PM me.

Now back on topic,

I still haven't had time to watch the podcast yet, but the hunting games are always a treat. I love how casually the main character treats nearly dying constantly.

Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks. Too many cooks! Too many cooks.

Too Many Cooks!, Too Many Cooks! Toooo Mannnny Cooooks!

I now own a shirt with a zipper on it for no reason that zips all the way to my chin, and a baseball cap that says "BLACK CLOVER" on it. Im basically an anime protagonist.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just curious, have any of the SBF videos gotten you to back a Kickstarter project, whether through the gameplay shown or the discussion in the video?

Just curious, have any of the SBF videos gotten you to back a Kickstarter project, whether through the gameplay shown or the discussion in the video?

I backed Under The Dog after hearing about it from the zaibatsu and a friend. Seeing the staff behind the project made it a real easy decision.

demidar

All of that stuff can and should be talked about elsewhere. I don't understand how people can find a chat to be inconvenient, but whatever. My point is that this is a thread for the Super Best Friends. Whatever reason you have for not wanting to discuss off topic stuff in their appropriate threads is not a justification for you to talk about them here.

Anyway, it makes no difference in the end. I'm not the moderator of this thread. These are just my 2 cents.

IRC/Steam chats are too transient, I like the permanence of forum posts. And you can't post gifs in IRC/Steam chat so that can get fucked.

As to why I'm here, it's because you're all cool guys, and sadly enough, more mature than 95% of Gaf. Of course, SBF is cool too and we can talk about them when new stuff drops but I enjoy you guys' company too much to not use this convenient nexus of a community thread to yakk about stuff as well.

However, it doesn't hurt to join a couple more communities outside of this one. I post/sub to about 10-15 communities and OTs myself.

Speaking more seriously (and I believe I've talked about this before), right proper discussions can actually happen in this thread since the chances of someone leaving because they lost an argument or the other person won't capitulate irrational/illogical stances or ad hominems start flying is extremely low since everyone in this thread has interests to keep the peace and be respectful.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna to bed soon, I've spent way too much time at uni and I only got back past midnight, and I gotta go back early in the morning as well.

Emouse

purchased rather than backed for me, at lot of the time I hear about said thing, go to check it out and think yeah I'll back this later, then completely forget to do so, and then feel really bad about it. I do always end up supporting the game/project after it's out though, I brought all three versions of Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter/Ghost Song have been on my radar for some time so I'll be supporting them at launch too, the guys seem to be avid Kiskstarter browsers, it's nice to find out about cool new stuff I never have the chance to find myself

I've never backed a KS project.

I have an issue with KS and crowdsourcing. I often miss out on goodies (like Earthbound/Mother swag) that I'd love.

The one game I wanted to back was that game Matt and Pat played on the shitstorm that was surviving in the wild in first person. The name escapes me right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
None, but just cause I don't like using money online. What about you?

I missed the window on Shovel Knight. I also threw a little money at Grave. Otherwise, I've backed a bunch of projects that the Zaibatsu have pushed, but usually by coincidence.

I have an issue with KS and crowdsourcing. I often miss out on goodies (like Earthbound/Mother swag) that I'd love.

I'm a big proponent of Kickstarter, and I think the burden of risk falls cleanly on the backer. So, I applaud people not using Kickstarter if they aren't prepared to.

The one game I wanted to back was that game Matt and Pat played on the shitstorm that was surviving in the wild in first person. The name escapes me right now.

The Forest

Emouse

that was The Forest I believe?

I suspect it's because Cabela games are always made by different or fresh developers and if that's all the work a studio can get, then some will be motivated enough to put in the work to make it look nice.

I believe it's due to the games artstyle. Skyrim was built on a the theory that people wanted to do dumb quests and a lot of them. I believe they didn't put much effort into the detail of the environment and focused on the number of quests they could put in.

Cabela's focus was an immersive hunting experience. It's due to this that they put way more work into the detail of the hunting grounds.

The gunplay is so poor though :/ I find it confusing to have a hunting game with poor gunplay.

that was The Forest I believe?

The Forest

Oh thanks!

http://survivetheforest.com/hom/

Found them. Only 3 person team too.

It's such a novel idea and yet the right execution would put the game would much more than 15 dollars.

If I had the money I would have backed some projects.

I think it's really great of them to support some kickstarters that need the PR. I'm really glad that Under the Dog got funded.

We even got lore that Woolie only funds if it meets the goal.

I knew i recognized her but wasn't too sure

Eh, we're just being meta, all forums and stuff do this at some point.

I think they focus a lot on the environments to make up for the fact that a game about hunting is probably going to be incredibly boring no matter what.

Never backed a game on KS. Only thing I've backed has been Dice Rings, which seem to still be going on and the one I have is fantastic. Plus I have ADHD so the spinner ring is helpful for me hiding my ticks.

I found and backed Shovel Knight right before they did that preview video. Kaiju Combat I backed entirely because of them though.

I never drop much more than 10-20$ into a kickstarter, so they're not huge investments for me.

Gamer Y

I missed the window on Shovel Knight. I also threw a little money at Grave. Otherwise, I've backed a bunch of projects that the Zaibatsu have pushed, but usually by coincidence.
Never heard of Grave. I would have liked to backed Hyper Light Drifter though.

Maybe they were going for realism? I've never fired a gun but I can't imagine it would be as easy as games would have you think.

From personal experience, it isn't. It takes a ton of practice to effectively aim and handle a firearm, both pistol and rifle.

For a game that's hunting based, I guess I'd expect a little more simplicity in ADS and little recoil and all that. It could benefit from the CoD simplicity.

I've never played a Cabela game, but if it's really bad as you say, it may have to do with the idea of actually killing an animal in a realistic setting is the main selling point.

Watch the videos of Matt and Liam playing. I haven't played a Cabela game either, but it doesn't seem like a super accessible game. Maybe the series could benefit from casualization?

B2G3F8BIgAAgQRb.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom