• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleCross

I'm really new to Smash (as in, only played a few games of it) and I really suck at it. I can't even beat some of the AI characters. Took me like 5 tries to beat Dr. Mario and now I'm getting owned by R.O.B.

360pages

Gen 2 is probably my favorite generation, i just never got around to the remakes.

Is it still possible to transfer pokemon you catch from there to the 3DS games?

You have to get Gen 5 games to do so.

With that said. BW1 are worth a play for the story, since N is the only one in existence that questions the ethics of forcing pokemon to battle one another and it's a major plot point of the game. The story is actually pretty decent

You modest guy!

Seriously, fucking stop this. Honesty is not modesty. Modesty is saying that the video you worked on is okay, I guess, I tried really hard. Modesty is not describing actual events as they occured without embellishment. Modesty is bragging in the opposite direction, it's not telling it how it is.

I'm really new to Smash (as in, only played a few games of it) and I really suck at it. I can't even beat some of the AI characters. Took me like 5 tries to beat Dr. Mario and now I'm getting owned by R.O.B.

If you're unlocking characters, don't be. The AI for new challengers in this game is actually pretty damn tough.

Pat I think they are messing with you. Also get good.

Was it playable? You could've always checked other places to sell it, like ebay, kijiji or buy/sell thread.

Eh, whats done is done.

And the scratch caused crashes. You could still get through the game but the crashes would happen a lot. Also it was the PS3 version which someone on craigslist told me explicitly no one wanted.

Seriously, fucking stop this. Honesty is not modesty. Modesty is saying that the video you worked on is okay, I guess, I tried really hard. Modesty is not describing actual events as they occured without embellishment. Modesty is bragging in the opposite direction, it's not telling it how it is.

wow you're so humble
Mara bodied me as well, cannot keep up with his pressure

The concept of not getting salty when losing and not becoming an ass when winning, is a very foreign concept to most people, so it'll take time for them to understand.

No but

FylKxwC.gif

Zenfalcia

A minority of awful people will often succeed in ruining it for the majority. It's not worth it in my eyes. I greatly enjoy having conversations with the group of frienders here and also enjoy Pat's occasional appearance here, but I'd rather not attend huge gather-ups.

That is true. Although it would be a very small and private meet up.

We even have the smash FnFs as proof of Pat's skill.

360pages

#embracethelewd

It does not even try frankly. The game feels anemic and shallow.

Well the problem with AS/OR is the fact that they really barely fixed the problems of the Gen.

I love Gen 2, but it had a lot of problems in terms of Kanto being butchered to hell and back. And HG/SS took the time to try to fix those problems while porting the battle frontier from Platinum and adding back all of the Gen 1 legends.

AS/OR really just feels like they added a lot of legends for those who don't have the past gen games. And fixed some of the levels. Episode Delta is cool, but it more reminds me why they don't have the battle frontier for some reason

You're overrating me. Wouldn't you say that our second small batch of solo fights were a lot closer? I had way more difficulties against you the last time we fought than the time your PS4 was on your mind.

Sheesh man, there's being big headed and there's rubbing it in. Get a life bro.

Obviously joking in case that was not clear.

ultimax

I believe you can use the Pokemon bank to. I'm only certain with Black and white 2 and that's also transferable

You have to get Gen 5 games to do so.

With that said. BW1 are worth a play for the story, since N is the only one in existence that questions the ethics of forcing pokemon to battle one another and it's a major plot point of the game. The story is actually pretty decent

Wait but how would i transfer from Soul Silver to White version? I have both, but only 1 DS

Beloved

On that topic, I'm often humble/modest about things as a reflex even when in my own mind I feel cocky as hell about something, I have a hard time just you know...hitting that middle ground, for some reason.

Zenfalcia

Pat I think they are messing with you. Also get good.

Eh, whats done is done.

And the scratch caused crashes. You could still get through the game but the crashes would happen a lot. Also it was the PS3 version which someone on craigslist told me explicitly no one wanted.

Pushing Humble Pat for summerslam!

Woof.. i hope the person who buys that game doesn't get screwed over too bad.. Eh.. but still.. it's up to you, i suppose.

360pages

Wait but how would i transfer from Soul Silver to White version? I have both, but only 1 DS

Do you have a DS and a 3ds? Because a ds and 3ds will work for transferring Gen 4 to 5. If you have only a 3ds,....then that sucks, maybe you can borrow a friends, the transfer process probably only takes about 1 hour for over 100+ Pokémon.

Xiraiya

On that topic, I'm often humble/modest about things as a reflex even when in my own mind I feel cocky as hell about something, I have a hard time just you know...hitting that middle ground, for some reason.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of yourself internally.

Pushing Humble Pat for summerslam!

Woof.. i hope the person who buys that game doesn't get screwed over too bad.. Eh.. but still.. it's up to you, i suppose.

The reason I could not get more than $25 for Alpha Sapphire is because I already used the club nintendo code.

Apparently doing that really fucks with the value.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been trying to get better in Smash lately. I'm still trying to hone my fundamental movement options. You'd be surprised how hard it is for someone that's never played Smash much before to get a feel for edge guarding, tilting, maintaining positioning, and spacing.

The fact that Smash uses analog movement is probably what throws me off the most. Any skills from regular fighting games only transfer so much.

Beloved

There's nothing wrong with being proud of yourself internally.

Well that's true but I guess that's what I mean, there's also nothing wrong with being outwardly proud of your accomplishments but I always downplay it, even when I KNOW I worked hard/did a good job/etc

Shackzam

You're overrating me. Wouldn't you say that our second small batch of solo fights were a lot closer? I had way more difficulties against you the last time we fought than the time your PS4 was on your mind.

You're pretty decent from the little I played you. I haven't played any good Gren Ninja's so you're the only practice I've had. I've just been playing smash locally with a lot of really good players and can see that you have room for improvement.

Yup. For me it's not quite a self esteem issue, but a perception issue. I don't want to come off as a braggart or know-it-all above all else, and I generally try to just wave away any bragging or praise. I have the same reflex of "it was nothing", regardless of how I actually feel.

Zenfalcia

Humble Pat's Origin

I played all of them, I just don't give a fuck (which never works out for me in the end)
The lore writes itself!

Well, as long as you have fun. It's all good.
The reason I could not get more than $25 for Alpha Sapphire is because I already used the club nintendo code.

Apparently doing that really fucks with the value.
I'm not surprised, the code means a lot since you get some benefits with it.

croten

What can I say. I love getting in there. It's why Greninja (and Sheik to an extent, I guess) is my main.

Not really. I'm not going to say that Pat is better than me and I think I'm probably better overall, but Pat makes it sound like a massacre took place and I won every single fight, when he actually did really well during our latest few matches.

Oh so how many matches did he win?

Beloved

Yup. For me it's not quite a self esteem issue, but a perception issue. I don't want to come off as a braggart or know-it-all above all else, and I generally try to just wave away any bragging or praise. I have the same reflex of "it was nothing", regardless of how I actually feel.

Yeah that's basically exactly how I am.

I have a mental block where I really hate braggarts and people who laud their accomplishments over others, even if they were extremely good at what they do (Cm Punk, Floyd mayweather, etc.).

Even if it's something that was deservedly earned. But I also played sports and I was kind of a dick ,which is why I have the mental block about it.

360pages

Another problem with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is that there isn't that big of a content leap from X/Y. I'm not sure if it's because Gamefreak just got better at putting more things in their first two versions or the remakes are poor but...

Compare the Original Ruby/Sapphire Content to Fire Red and Leaf Green, the latter two completely eclipse those two.

Do the same thing when Comparing Diamond and Pearl with HeartGold and Soul Silver, once again the remakes completely eclipse the first duo in content.

Compare X/Y to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The games are far closer content wise than the other remakes to the other games. Hell, counting the friend Safari, there are more catchable pokemon in X/Y without transferring than in Omega Ruby and Alpha.

For all the new content they add something else was removed.

They have Secret bases back...but took out the trainer customization, something that should grow not removed or limited further.

They have E4 rematches with proper teams, but removed the battle Chatatu which, had Gym leader and E4 rematches. (They were really shitty, and most of their teams didn't go past 3 even during the rematch) But they were still there.

When it comes to Smash, I need to improve my aerial play, and practice my inputs. Those two aren't very hard to practice, so all I have to do is keep playing, and it will all come back to me.

Beloved

I have a mental block where I really hate braggarts and people who laud their accomplishments over others, even if they were extremely good at what they do (Cm Punk, Floyd mayweather, etc.).

Even if it's something that was deservedly earned. But I also played sports and I was kind of a dick ,which is why I have the mental block about it.

Well there's a difference between being proud of yourself and owning your accomplishments and being a dick that acts better than everyone else.

Everyone dislikes those kind of people.

Yeah, it took me a real long time to accept praise, instead of essentially waving them off. Especially when I found out what it's like to be the person who's praising the other person, too much modesty ends up feeling like you're insulting the person.
Like in piano class in high school, people would tell me I'm great, and I'd be like 'nah, I'm not good at all', which could imply that the person who's complimenting me is even worse than 'not good at all'.

So the best thing to do is be a cool guy and eat up all the praise, but never brag (I hate braggarts and arrogant folk).

Archgan

I feel the same way about that stuff. I'm not really sure how to react to praise so I just "thanks" or "it was nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom