• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Masked Man

I said wow
Curiosity got the better of me and I ventured into the Mewtwo Social Thread... The perpetrator has apparently been banned, though, and a surprising number of users were preaching tolerance, so color me pleasantly surprised. :')

TWILT

Banned
GGs Cyberman; fun matches as always though I really need to stop playing this game so late lol. My Pikachu's been playing pretty sloppy lately; mostly been using other characters. Need to get used to him again.

GGs Cyberman; fun matches as always though I really need to stop playing this game so late lol. My Pikachu's been playing pretty sloppy lately; mostly been using other characters. Need to get used to him again.
GGs. My mind has a MetaKnight playstyle with other characters now. Need to take a little break from him soon, but he's just so fun, haha.

Some of those kills tonight were something else, though.

Neki

...Ok I'll admit the ending of that last match was complete lucky bullshit

Nah, it was pretty funny. I got greedy with the edge guard and the last hit of twisting fox killed me. (off the side somehow, lol). Close games though, I think your Fox was your strongest character!

Nah, it was pretty funny. I got greedy with the edge guard and the last hit of twisting fox killed me. (off the side somehow, lol). Close games though, I think your Fox was your strongest character!

Yeah it tends to do that whenever something like this happens lol

Oidisco

I think I'm fighting Shofu right now. He uses the tag FreeWolf right and mains Fox yea?
Just checked and yea it's the exact same Mii, name and tag, along with the same Fox colour he uses. So either it was an extremely good player impersonating him, or I really was fighting Shofu.

Well, we played 4 games and I won 2 of them pretty easily. First against his Captain Falcon and then his Fox, both using Zelda. I lost the next 2 games but they were close.

JulianImp

Sorry, had to take a call right at the end of my first stock and all the way until the end, so I couldn't fully focus on the game.

How many times in a row did we get Battlefield?

Edit 2: Good games! I feel like I'm finally back into my Pac-Man groove (even though I don't know how to use the bell at all yet). Gotta admit I never knew hydrants were so good against tether recoveries before now.

Puruzi

Banned
GGs, this controller is pretty bad, and playing on the TV instead of the gamepad is giving me way too much input lag, so i'm just going to deal with the fucked stick on the pad. Oh well.

JulianImp

GGs, this controller is pretty bad, and playing on the TV instead of the gamepad is giving me way too much input lag, so i'm just going to deal with the fucked stick on the pad. Oh well.

Which controller were you using? I've been using the pro controller since launch, and have had good results with it so far (there's no way for me to get a GCN USB adapter, so it's the best I can get).

Woah, just saw a video where Abadango was basically using side B to neuter weaker projectiles AND get a heal out of them. I'll definitely be trying that out next time I play.

Puruzi

Banned
Which controller were you using? I've been using the pro controller since launch, and have had good results with it so far (there's no way for me to get a GCN USB adapter, so it's the best I can get).
A third party pro controller that my friend let me have. It's not very good, and coupled with the TV's input lag, i'm not using that anymore.

Guess I should get practicing. Ledge getup disable seems fun.
But punishable on block. :p I use it maybe once out of 10 games. Or when a player thinks it is a great idea to charge Fsmash by the ledge...even then, I usually just get-up attack because it is lower risk with all the invincibility.

I never use the footstool stuff because it is completely useless. Shields block footstools, and no one just sits there to get jumped on when Mewtwo is in the air. They are either attacking or shielding.

You can Dtilt into Fair, but the double Fair isn't a true combo at low %.

Jab to Dtilt doesn't combo at low % like the video claims.

Dtilt to usmash only works if you don't have to move much, because it can be jumped out of otherwise. Only works at very low %.

Utilt into Usmash is extremely situational because it has to sourspot, and you don't have time to hit confirm. I rarely use Utilt as it is because it is slow and unsafe. In the situation where he spot dodged Lucina into Utilt, he could have used Disable instead. Better punish option.

Falling off the ledge into Confusion is incredible. I use it a LOT. Very few people ledge guard near the ledge when facing me these days. Too risky for them.

I don't Uair when landing. I should mess with it more, but it seems unsafe. I would rather land farther away with safety. I need practice against Bowser, so maybe we can do some matches next week and I can show you my current Mewtwo.

None of that tech changes the issues Mewtwo has, though. Notice that there are no combos above like...50%. He builds that early % very fast, but then he has a longer road.

Oh yeah, and Ffall Nair doesn't combo into anything as far as I know. You have frame advantage, but your opponent can just block.

Nabster92

I would say having an aerial that starts faster than airdodge, beats more approaches than airdodge, is less punishable than airdodge and has less landing lag than airdodge is a pretty heavy advantage over characters that don't have that option. Rosalina is not the worst of it by far when there are characters like Yoshi, Luigi, and Sheik, and while I agree she's not really a problem compared to some stronger characters, to say they're not favored in such situations seems kinda silly.

Plenty of characters have the tools to deal with it, but some just don't. Still, I guess a lot of the characters that can't deal with it are either heavy hitters or zoning characters that are mostly fine with taking one hit and resetting to neutral.

Maybe this is just a Mewtwo problem. Maybe I'm just bitter. Maybe they should just make all of Mewtwo's tail attacks completely disjointed so he can be top tier and everyone else can complain.

OK, yea that just sounds like a more character specific issue where your attacks hit these characters into positions where they have more priority than you from that position when they are out of hitstun. Also none of these aerials come out faster than an air dodge unless you're Bowser, Ganon, Dedede, DK, and for some reason Jigglypuff whose air dodges start on frame 4 instead of 2 or 3 like everyone else. In Rosalina's case, if she's just mindlessly mashing out an u-air after getting hit up, if you just shield the luma hit coming out on frame 3, then you have another 42 frames of Rosa aimlessly shooting the sky with a halo to punish her.

If you're trying to follow up an attack against anyone with an u-air or something when it doesn't actually combo, you're making a commitment to something that isn't guaranteed. If they air-dodge and punish you or throw out an aerial that has more priority than yours, then you just guessed wrong in the follow up guessing game.

When I was at the Foundry last night I played friendlies with some Mega Man player so I could get some actual Ryu practice. I think I like Ryu more than Villager for that matchup.

Thulius

OK, yea that just sounds like a more character specific issue where your attacks hit these characters into positions where they have more priority than you from that position when they are out of hitstun. Also none of these aerials come out faster than an air dodge unless you're Bowser, Ganon, Dedede, DK, and for some reason Jigglypuff whose air dodges start on frame 4 instead of 2 or 3 like everyone else. In Rosalina's case, if she's just mindlessly mashing out an u-air after getting hit up, if you just shield the luma hit coming out on frame 3, then you have another 42 frames of Rosa aimlessly shooting the sky with a halo to punish her.

If you're trying to follow up an attack against anyone with an u-air or something when it doesn't actually combo, you're making a commitment to something that isn't guaranteed. If they air-dodge and punish you or throw out an aerial that has more priority than yours, then you just guessed wrong in the follow up guessing game.

You're right about air dodges, my bad, my brain went to melee/brawl frame data where they were mostly 4f. Still just as fast and better in nearly every way for a couple characters, but like I said Rosalina's not even close to the worst in that regard.

Saying you have another 42 frames to punish a blocked Luma Uair is pretty disingenuous when considering shieldstun, DI and general air control. The situations where blocking Luma will actually get you a punish are basically nonexistent against anyone competent, and if you miss that small window then she gets an even better option in Nair once Luma's back.

Relatively, Rosalina's not that bad. I just think being able to attack and evade with the same action is dumb. It's way dumber with some characters than it is with Rosalina, but I still think it's dumb with her.

Top Bottom