• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

Anyone wants to play 2v2 against me and my brother? I want to put my ethernetadapter to the test.

Would your brother be playing locally? If so, I'd rather recommend playing with three online opponents instead since you need to stress test the maximum number of online connections.

Cronox

Banned
Man MVD just didn't have any good answers to Rosalina :/ Really sucks to run into the counter for your main characters...

The stream is pretty much unwatchable for me. It keeps cutting out, anyone else having this problem?

Stream is fine for me, minus the times it has cut out for everyone cause GIMR sucks.

Would your brother be playing locally? If so, I'd rather recommend playing with three online opponents instead since you need to stress test the maximum number of online connections.

Yeah locally. It's just that he hasn't played in a while because of exams so he'd like to join.

JulianImp

Looks like Samus is so powerful she's restricted to one-use-per-round, guys.

Like Nami, this makes me feel less bad about having somewhat rough time against her when using Luigi.

Edit: Esam should've kept using Samus.

Cronox

Banned
Shoulda stayed Samus...

Larry Lurr winning first game with Fox and switching to Luigi was a dick move though.

Edit: battle scarf is on, Nairo has no chance.

Robiin

Esaaaaaaam :(

Please Larry, use Fox, you're my only hope right now. I don't want a Sheik or Luigi to win.

I guess Nairo can win as well, he seems like a cool dude out to have fun.

leroidys

Already getting whining online at Anther's about Lucas PK Fire. lol.

I honestly believe it is just a result of Lucas and Ness annoyingly saying "PK FIRE" every time. Mario, Pika players, for example, throw much more fireballs/thunderbolts than any Ness or Lucas player does PK Fire.

When they short hop towards you, use pk fire. Use your snake tether to approach. One of Lucas' best, most underutilized moves I've seen in the game is his dair. It is pretty safe, throws people off, and eventually spikes so you can use it as a set up on the ground into other combos. Don't short hop the dair, too much landing lag. do a full jump Dair, but the range is good enough that it will still hit most characters on the ground by the last few hits. Your jab attack actually hits very close to the body, almost behind you. Nair is pretty unsafe, so be careful when you bust it out. Obviously you have to be smart with grab.

edit: your ftilt has very good range too.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I haven't been using dair at all since I initially found that it sucks for shorthops, unlike brawl. I'll have to work this back in but it sounds pretty tricky. Interesting comments about nair, as that seems to be many Lucas' staple move so far.

A couple more questions - how do you use PSI magnet? It comes out so fast it seems like it might have utility as basically a giant jab to throw off attacks, but the timing is tricky. I've been having a little bit of luck with it after switching to a b-stick setup. Do you use his tilts much? The range is so short and it's not any faster than jabs, so I'm not finding a lot of use for it. Also, I know you're a big fan of PK Thunder with Ness, but there's so much ending lag and so little knockback for Lucas', it seems like a liability and I've basically stopped using it.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I haven't been using dair at all since I initially found that it sucks for shorthops, unlike brawl. I'll have to work this back in but it sounds pretty tricky. Interesting comments about nair, as that seems to be many Lucas' staple move so far.

A couple more questions - how do you use PSI magnet? It comes out so fast it seems like it might have utility as basically a giant jab to throw off attacks, but the timing is tricky. I've been having a little bit of luck with it after switching to a b-stick setup. Do you use his tilts much? The range is so short and it's not any faster than jabs, so I'm not finding a lot of use for it. Also, I know you're a big fan of PK Thunder with Ness, but there's so much ending lag and so little knockback for Lucas', it seems like a liability and I've basically stopped using it.

Thanks for the input!

Down tilt has some weird tricks like being able to jab lock on techable knockdowns, but it's not a true combo into itself or jab so I don't know if it's really any good.
Side tilt has decent range and a sweetspot, so it's good when someone is close or just throwing it around in neutral sometimes.
Up tilt hits on both sides and is a KO move, so it seems like a good out of shield punish or even anti-air.

Is anyone looking to play? I'm not really interested in watching more Sheik.

Robiin

When Zero concentrates he dissects the other player. He was spending so much time in shield, just daring Nairo to try and grab him, then punishing the whiff. He knows... he knows everything.
I don't know how his mind can work so fast. He's truly analyzing in real-time, while making reaction reads. It's insane really.

Cronox

Banned
The tier difference is pretty clear between Sheik and ZSS - Sheik can stay in shield and wait for ZSS to throw out an unsafe move. But yaknow, if this game has to have an S tier character at the top, I'm glad it's Sheik. The character is legitimately hard to master and play. You have to work for your damage/kills. It's not mindless like the prepatch Diddy hoo-ha days. Even great players like Mr. R have trouble getting kills with Sheik sometimes.

Thanks for the input!

Don't get me worng, nair is great, but a smart player will block it, be patient, and they are usually able to grab or do a tilt or smash right after a short hop nair. You have to be careful with it. What I have found with dair is that it is so very close to having no landing lag, but it does with short hop. Essentially, to get around this, do a regular jump with dair, and then fast fall. There will be very little landing lag after, and it essentially does the same thing.

I use his ftilt a lot, and utilt semi regularly. Ftilt comes out fast and is a good follow up after landing, as even if they block it, it pushes them away. I prefer it to jab at times, because if a person blocks Lucas' jabs, they will be able to follow up with a grab.

Magnet I rarely use offensively. The hitbox is not reliable. I use it more as a changeup if anything. What I do use magnet for is to throw off the opponent when I am in the air, since it stops Lucas' descent. Sometimes trick people into trying to catch you with an usmash, but use magnet to slow your fall, then follow up with a punish like bair.

PK Thunder you have to be very very careful. It is still a great harassing and gimping tool when the person is recovering. If you do decide to use it while the opponent is on stage, do it in a way where you get hit into a pk2 at end, because at the very least the lag after your pk2 is much better than pk thunder, plus you will move some distance so chances are they will only be able to follow up with a dash attack or grab.

leroidys

Down tilt has some weird tricks like being able to jab lock on techable knockdowns, but it's not a true combo into itself or jab so I don't know if it's really any good.
Side tilt has decent range and a sweetspot, so it's good when someone is close or just throwing it around in neutral sometimes.
Up tilt hits on both sides and is a KO move, so it seems like a good out of shield punish or even anti-air.

Is anyone looking to play? I'm not really interested in watching more Sheik.

Didn't know the side tilt had a sweet spot, I must have just always been whiffing it and written it off. Also didn't know that utilt had hitboxes on the sides. Good info, thanks!

The tier difference is pretty clear between Sheik and ZSS - Sheik can stay in shield and wait for ZSS to throw out an unsafe move. But yaknow, if this game has to have an S tier character at the top, I'm glad it's Sheik. The character is legitimately hard to master and play. You have to work for your damage/kills. It's not mindless like the prepatch Diddy hoo-ha days. Even great players like Mr. R have trouble getting kills with Sheik sometimes.
True, and Sheik is way more fun to watch then constant Diddy hoo-hahs.

Robiin

I don't know man. Yeah it takes work, but so should every character. The fair is insanely low on endlag, and airdodge 50/50s are too easy to force. I'm not a tournament player, so my words are probably meaningless anyway..

At least Sheik is more fun to watch than Diddy was prepatch, and I'd rather Sheik win than Rosalina...

I don't know. I think Sheik is too safe to be that much fun to watch. You need to know what you're doing to win with Sheik, but you need to be able to do that to be competitive with any character. The difference is that there's barely anything anyone can do once Sheik is doing it. And full stage punishes and completely controlling the neutral with needles. It's dumb. It's not as mindless as Diddy was but it's certainly still dumb.

Robiin

Please I don't want to see Dabuz in grand finals. :(

Nairo and Dabuz is better to watch when you look at their faces.

Edit: these guys are truly amazing at this game...

Cronox

Banned
I don't know man. Yeah it takes work, but so should every character. The fair is insanely low on endlag, and airdodge 50/50s are too easy to force. I'm not a tournament player, so my words are probably meaningless anyway..

At least Sheik is more fun to watch than Diddy was prepatch, and I'd rather Sheik win than Rosalina...

Sheik has really safe moves, but the reward for them is really low on a hit by hit basis. At least Sheik is an "honest" character. If you get the kill, you deserve it. It's not a ridiculous "die at 60" thing like many characters can do. Barring an early offstage bouncing fish kill, Sheik rarely kills until somewhere around 130%+. Not that the character couldn't be nerfed, but just slightly. Problem is, if you add lag to Sheik's moves you destroy her. I think Sakurai's vision of Sheik is "great frame data, the character." Just taking the transcendent property away from needles might be a big deal.

Why would he pick Halberd.... twice?

Larry Lurr had a pretty disappointing ending to his tourney run. Halberd was a bad choice the first time, then he chose it again. Played a different character in each of the 3 games... he dun goofed.

Sheik has really safe moves, but the reward for them is really low on a hit by hit basis. At least Sheik is an "honest" character. If you get the kill, you deserve it. It's not a ridiculous "die at 60" thing like many characters can do. .

I don't think all low percentage kills are undeserved. PK2 for example, is not really easy to hit and is incredibly punishable. I understand with some characters it's a little ridiculous (see Roy)

Larry Lurr had a pretty disappointing ending to his tourney run. Halberd was a bad choice the first time, then he chose it again. Played a different character in each of the 3 games... he dun goofed.

Seriously

I guess I can understand going to Halberd when he chose Fox because he also benefits from it even if not as ridiculously as Rosalina in customs off, but after losing that match? Makes no sense really.

Yeah. I don't think any character should take Rosalina to Halberd. Why he would switch characters so many times and pick Halberd twice is a mystery to me.

ZSS grabs are scarier than Luigi's. Crazy stuff going on.

Top Bottom