• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Nabster92

I am done now. I went back for one more 'cause none here were available. I decided to try and take on a Platinum player. I beat their DHD barely, and then lost twice to Pikachu. Feels weird that I generally take a game off of Gold I and Platinum players, but I lose 2-0 to Gold III.

Don't put too much stock in what rank your opponent is. It'll just subconsciously make you sleep more on lower ranked people and try hard against the higher ones, so you end up losing to people you shouldn't be losing to and then feel bad that you lost to better ones too and put yourself in a vicious cycle of losing. Also some people are still just in the process of ranking up so they could be gold III but only have like 7 games so far so it could be pretty misleading to what their actually skill level is. Also matchups make a big difference as well.

How is anthers anyways? Been always curious but never actually tried.

On a related note, took time to look up the best Zelda on anthers and saw some vids of his play. I think I know where he can improve and what I can probably assimilate into my play as well. Then again the only vids i saw were of really bad Zelda matchups too.

Nabster92

On a related note, took time to look up the best Zelda on anthers and saw some vids of his play. I think I know where he can improve and what I can probably assimilate into my play as well. Then again the only vids i saw were of really bad Zelda matchups too.

Ven? He's like one of the few people on the front page in the rankings that I've played and haven't been able to take a set off of yet I think. And I've taken sets off of the current #1 and 2.

Beats

I'm pretty happy both Smash games got enormous turnouts for EVO this year. Really looking forward to watching a lot of it.

Surprised by Xrd in a good way. I didn't expect it to get close to 1k.

Ven? He's like one of the few people on the front page in the rankings that I've played and haven't been able to take a set off of yet I think. And I've taken sets off of the current #1 and 2.

Always good to know that there's still hope for us very few dedicated Zelda mains lol.

It's a great way for you to learn and get matchup practice, as there are a ton of users on Anthers so chances are you will be able to find multiple matchups of differing styles. You can also post friendlies requests there, so don't think you have to do rank. We also have a chat there. At the bottom hit the "+" sign and type in "neogaf". It's kind of dead but hopefully we can get it going again.

Ven is a very good Zelda player and videos probably don't do him justice as a lot of his game is based on him learning what the opponent does.

It's a great way for you to learn and get matchup practice, as there are a ton of users on Anthers so chances are you will be able to find multiple matchups of differing styles. You can also post friendlies requests there, so don't think you have to do rank. We also have a chat there. At the bottom hit the "+" sign and type in "neogaf". It's kind of dead but hopefully we can get it going again.

Ven is a very good Zelda player and videos probably don't do him justice as a lot of his game is based on him learning what the opponent does.

I'll probably start trying out anthers soon just to start getting my game up. As for Ven spending time learning the opponent. That is pretty much how I usually roll... or at least try to lol

I'll probably start trying out anthers soon just to start getting my game up. As for Ven spending time learning the opponent. That is pretty much how I usually roll... or at least try to lol

Right, because when you look at him play, he prob doesn't do anything real different from other Zelda players, from a combo/moves point of view. What he does is pretty subtle, having played him

Murray97

Do many of you use attack on the c-stick instead of smash attacks?

I was considering switching but I keep doing nairs by mistake.

Damn, just lost to the best Dedede I have ever fought. They beat both my Yoshi and Luigi. Out of Ammo, I am going to send you a replay. I forgot to get the Yoshi match, but I have the Luigi one.

Nice, I'll check it out. Good Dedede footage is rare :p

I do. I use tap jump so I use the c-stick for up tilts, and it helps for other tilts too. I also sometimes use the c-stick to do dairs offstage without accidentally fastfalling.

It depends on the character. For Ness, Lucas, Pac-Man, Mii Brawler, Toon Link, I have C-Stick as smash.

For Link, Wario, Wii Fit Trainer, Mewtwo, Bowser I have C-Stick as Attack/Tilt

Just realized I am the top rated Ness player on Anthers. Nice!

Looks like he fixed the problem where if you even played a character once or twice in the ladder, you would be ranked with that character

It depends on the character. For Ness, Lucas, Pac-Man, Mii Brawler, Toon Link, I have C-Stick as smash.

For Link, Wario, Wii Fit Trainer, Mewtwo, Bowser I have C-Stick as Attack/Tilt
I have contemplated switching Mewtwo to Smashes because:
1) If you Fsmash right after disable, sometimes you get ftilt for some reason.
2) Fsmash is proving to be a really good antiair.
3) Utilt on C stick has trouble coming out sometimes.

Thats also what makes her so satisfying to play as. When you get your reads down it's absolutely devastating. People die quick

Oh yeah, anyone up for a few matches?
I find it fitting that the wielder of the triforce of wisdom has to get in the opponent's head. The triforce of power hits like a truck.

Why the triforce of courage wielded runs away and slams projectiles...I will never know.

I find it fitting that the wielder of the triforce of wisdom has to get in the opponent's head. The triforce of power hits like a truck.

Why the triforce of courage wielded runs away and slams projectiles...I will never know.

Dude he keeps bombs in his hands until they explode on his face just so he can get extra height, how can you get more courageous than that

I love using Charizard, but I feel like using him against high tiers like Rosalina will prove to be an exercise in frustration. Anyone who plays a heavy character wanna share their high tiers experiences, maybe convince me that it's not completely uphill?

I love using Charizard, but I feel like using him against high tiers like Rosalina will prove to be an exercise in frustration. Anyone who plays a heavy character wanna share their high tiers experiences, maybe convince me that it's not completely uphill?

Most of the high tiers are hell for Dedede. However, when you manage to win against them it feels that much more satisfying.

Matches anyone?

When using a heavy against Rosalina, you often have to take out Luma first, then go after her. When using Bowser, I abuse Fire Breath A LOT. It takes Luma down fast. Remember that Luma cannot block, so abuse Rock Smash, too. Eating a little damage is part of getting to Rosalina sometimes.

Just playing as a low tier gets you to understand why the tiers exist, regardless of their weight

Matches anyone?

When using a heavy against Rosalina, you often have to take out Luma first, then go after her. When using Bowser, I abuse Fire Breath A LOT. It takes Luma down fast. Remember that Luma cannot block, so abuse Rock Smash, too. Eating a little damage is part of getting to Rosalina sometimes.

I will play

Charizard isn't low tier. -_- Especially after that patch.
Oh, I agree on that. He's easily on the level of characters like Mac and based Doc. I'm just saying with his weight and no quick aerials aside from fair he'd struggle a lot against high tiers who can combo you to hell and back. And fair has poor range, so the only option is Rock Smash and hope for the best. :(

Oh, I agree on that. He's easily on the level of characters like Mac and based Doc. I'm just saying with his weight and no quick aerials aside from fair he'd struggle a lot against high tiers who can combo you to hell and back. And fair has poor range, so the only option is Rock Smash and hope for the best. :(
Use multijump to space fire.

Thulius

Fighting the top tiers with most characters is an uphill battle. That's why they're top tier.

The issue with Charizard isn't that he's heavy, it's that he doesn't have strong, safe offense, which is kind of the only thing any of the top tiers in this game have to respect. It's much worse with characters like Mewtwo/G&W/Jigglypuff who have to play just as defensively with far fewer mistakes to afford.

Against Rosalina specifically, flamethrower is fantastic. Chips away at luma and forces Rosalina to approach from the air. Things like rock smash, flare blitz and Dsmash that are super unsafe on block are weighted more in your favor when Luma is alive since it can't block. Considering the weight difference it's almost always worth it to take the solo Rosalina punish in exchange for a Luma kill, and if you hit both then great.

Top Bottom