• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

why/how is my C-Stick doing neutral air...

Looks like it is when you hit the corners of the stick. How dumb

edit: I see. It only does that when settings are on tilt. That sucks...

I just had the weirdest set. Lost the first...5? Just endless dumb decisions. Just out of range and get punished, SDs, shield breaks, footstools...you name it, and I died to it in those 5. Then I switched to Bowser, lost twice, and then won the next 10, with a few being 2-stocks. Funny thing was, he started having all these dumb deaths like I did. Felt too weird.

why/how is my C-Stick doing neutral air...

Looks like it is when you hit the corners of the stick. How dumb

edit: I see. It only does that when settings are on tilt. That sucks...
Yeah, you can't even use it to do your tilted...tilts, iirc.

Custom Needles go through everything that isn't shield. :x
Ew.

JulianImp

http://www.twitch.tv/blacktwins13/b/675137120?t=1h34m

My horribad performance in a 3v3 lol. Only showed one set on stream. 1v1 is one thing, but I have no clue how to properly play 3v3 yet I ended up in a 3v3 tourney lol.

I'd say you did well handling multiple opponents at once by yourself for the most part, even though you had a really unfortunate SD on game two. That nearly-double teleport KO in game one was cool, and you managed to juggle two separate opponents with uairs during game two as well.

From having played Oidisco, I'd say you don't use nairs nearly as much as he does. I don't know if that'd actually make a difference, but it seemed like a better option than fairs and bairs to build up damage, and on top of that you can trap opponents with them while your teammates closer to attempt follow-ups.

Murray97

Has anyone else got to a point where they don't feel like they are improving at all?

I always felt like I was getting better in PM/Melee but don't think I've improved in smash 4 for a few weeks.

Has anyone else got to a point where they don't feel like they are improving at all?

I always felt like I was getting better in PM/Melee but don't think I've improved in smash 4 for a few weeks.

That happened until Lucas came out. What character do you use? With some characters as you get better with them, it feels like they have less options the more you play them because you get used to playing in a really specific or comfortable way and forget to make use of certain moves or tactics.

Murray97

That happened until Lucas came out. What character do you use? With some characters as you get better with them, it feels like they have less options the more you play them because you get used to playing in a really specific or comfortable way and forget to make use of certain moves or tactics.

Marth/Lucina.

Maybe I should try messing around with some other characters, haven't really found anyone else I enjoy as much though.

I've been able to beat people that I wasn't able to months ago, so I feel like I've been improving a lot.

I can exactly feel my Mewtwo level up on a weekly basis. The stuff I do now is so much smoother and more thoughtful than before. There are endless levels to gain in fighting games. No one peaks less than a year in unless they aren't training right. I suggest you play folks here and get feedback.

I'd say you did well handling multiple opponents at once by yourself for the most part, even though you had a really unfortunate SD on game two. That nearly-double teleport KO in game one was cool, and you managed to juggle two separate opponents with uairs during game two as well.

From having played Oidisco, I'd say you don't use nairs nearly as much as he does. I don't know if that'd actually make a difference, but it seemed like a better option than fairs and bairs to build up damage, and on top of that you can trap opponents with them while your teammates closer to attempt follow-ups.

Nairs are useful. My problem is finding when to use them. I usually throw our bairs and fairs just out of habit. But I know how to follow them up when they do land. Nair not so much.

funkypie

Banned
I'm a noob at this game as I have only just got it but can someone explain to me why it is so fucking laggy, like unplayable lag.

One of the main reasons I bought a wii u was for this game and I'm already feeling buyers regret because of the lag.

Most games stutter, freeze and have awful delay. The games that don't freeze, have awful delay. I don't have any issues with Mario kart; I'm using wireless but I hear the Ethernet adaptor is shit so that won't resolve it.

I have only been playing unranked fun games but even leaving those if the lag is a joke causes a ban of ten minutes for searching again.

I have no lag issues with other consoles or pc btw

Murray97

Ethernet adapter is good and helped a lot for me. Also depends on the other players connections as well, I hardly ever have lag.

funkypie

Banned
Ethernet adapter is good and helped a lot for me. Also depends on the other players connections as well, I hardly ever have lag.

Shame there is no basic function like to search in same region... Maybe Nintendo is just pairing me up against people on the other side of the world.

Murray97

I can exactly feel my Mewtwo level up on a weekly basis. The stuff I do now is so much smoother and more thoughtful than before. There are endless levels to gain in fighting games. No one peaks less than a year in unless they aren't training right. I suggest you play folks here and get feedback.

Yeah I think my playstyle just doesn't work at all in smash 4. I'm way too aggressive and impatient but its tough to get rid of that.

I'm a noob at this game as I have only just got it but can someone explain to me why it is so fucking laggy, like unplayable lag.

One of the main reasons I bought a wii u was for this game and I'm already feeling buyers regret because of the lag.

Most games stutter, freeze and have awful delay. The games that don't freeze, have awful delay. I don't have any issues with Mario kart; I'm using wireless but I hear the Ethernet adaptor is shit so that won't resolve it.

I have only been playing unranked fun games but even leaving those if the lag is a joke causes a ban of ten minutes for searching again.

Fighting game netcode is way different than other games. Street Fighter would probably be the same if there was 4 players at once on the screen. When you're playing For Fun in an FFA there's a good chance for lag. The most lag free matches would be 1v1's. The ethernet adapter helps too.

Most people don't bother with Zelda, yet I still find ways to keep pushing and improving with her. Getting ideas that I don't see happen even with the best Zelda's out there just means I'm on the right path. And Zelda is a very very very hard character to find improvements with given her moveset.

Look for multiple ways to improve. Watch other people play the same char, experiment with your char, or even taking a break from using the char. Hell even trying different control schemes help (Switching between the 3ds/Wii U versions for me helped me figure a few things out)

Shame there is no basic function like to search in same region... Maybe Nintendo is just pairing me up against people on the other side of the world.
Its sad that it's 2015 and Nintendo decided to not make a good matchmaking service. Back then, I would get players from Europe/Japan for countless matches and they would lag bad.

Yeah I think my playstyle just doesn't work at all in smash 4. I'm way too aggressive and impatient but its tough to get rid of that.
Who do you use?

Fighting game netcode is very demanding.

Ethernet adapter is absolutely NOT shit. Many people here have purchased it and been pleased.

Play GAF, not randoms online.

Where do you live?

Most people here find this to be a great online experience.

funkypie

Banned
Who do you use?

Fighting game netcode is very demanding.

Ethernet adapter is absolutely NOT shit. Many people here have purchased it and been pleased.

Play GAF, not randoms online.

Where do you live?

Most people here find this to be a great online experience.

UK. Do people just use this thread for fun games then?

A lot of people here play each other for fun. Also to play against people who are genuinely good and are looking to improve their skill as well. We got some folks who are going to EVO which says a lot of their actual skillset.

Puruzi

Banned
Guys, i'm assuming that for fun=items.

We don't usually use items. The matches are friendly, but they usually use competitive rules.

What's wrong with items lol

Nothing at all, but most of us here like to focus on the competitive aspect of the game, albeit in a productive, helping each other type way. Because of that, we tend to follow competitive rulesets. Items aren't part of the competitive ruleset because of the random nature.

JulianImp

All I care about is lag free. U.S. East Coast is fine, would probably lag against west coast though.

I live in Argentina and I manage to play with most GAFfers with bearable amounts of lag, so I bet you should be able to play against west coast players without any issues. I do use a wired LAN adapter, though, but I think the thing that make me lag a lot less was when I switched my internet connection to 12 Mbit/s down/1.2 Mbit/s up, since I'm now able to play against Karsticles fine even though the game lagged like hell when we had played a long time ago.

I think most of us SmashGAF regulars play the game competitively, or at the very least not at completely casual level. There're lots of players in here that are quite good with their mains, such as Snacks' Greninja, Karsticles' Bowser/Mewtwo, Out_Of_Ammo's Dedede, Wyndstryker's Zelda, Oidisco's Marth/Zelda/ZSS, Puruzi's Lucas (and many others), Shamrock7r's Ness/Lucas, Namikaze's Luigi, Tipster's Megaman and many, many others.

The fact that we play a wide variety of characters is awesome for getting some valuable match-up experience, and I think the skill gap among most of us isn't large enough that one of us is completely hopeless against the rest, so we keep improving and trying to one-up each other constantly.

Yeah, we have a skill gap, but it isn't massive.

Not like the time I beat a certain GAF member 50-0 in Marvel...
twice.

I main Lucina, never play too much else.
I could use some more Lucina practice. Add Karsticles to your friends list, and let's play.

Yup!

A lot of people here play each other for fun. Also to play against people who are genuinely good and are looking to improve their skill as well. We got some folks who are going to EVO which says a lot of their actual skillset.
Going to Evo just means you have money. Mostly pot monsters going.

What's wrong with items lol
Nothing wrong with them, but most of the folks here focus on competitive play. That said, if you asked for items, I bet you could get a game going.

Puruzi

Banned
I live in Argentina and I manage to play with most GAFfers with bearable amounts of lag, so I bet you should be able to play against west coast players without any issues. I do use a wired LAN adapter, though, but I think the thing that make me lag a lot less was when I switched my internet connection to 12 Mbit/s down/1.2 Mbit/s up, since I'm now able to play against Karsticles fine even though the game lagged like hell when we had played a long time ago.

I think most of us SmashGAF regulars play the game competitively, or at the very least not at completely casual level. There're lots of players in here that are quite good with their mains, such as Snacks' Greninja, Karsticles' Bowser/Mewtwo, Out_Of_Ammo's Dedede, Wyndstryker's Zelda, Oidisco's Marth/Zelda/ZSS, Puruzi's Lucas (and many others), Shamrock7r's Ness/Lucas, Namikaze's Luigi, Tipster's Megaman and many, many others.

The fact that we play a wide variety of characters is awesome for getting some valuable match-up experience, and I think the skill gap among most of us isn't large enough that one of us is completely hopeless against the rest, so we keep improving and trying to one-up each other constantly.

8nL3HP2.png

entremet

I just started playing again online and I get tons of lag, but I'm wired.

I'm guessing I need to switch to wired. I just hate running cable.

Someone here might need a lesson ASAP.

I just started playing again online and I get tons of lag, but I'm wired.

I'm guessing I need to switch to wired. I just hate running cable.

I am wireless and I don't really get lag unless a bunch of people are using my connection. If my brother moves out, I will be able to go wired, but when that is happening is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My connection is something like 250/20, which I believe is the best in Canada. I may be wrong on the upload speed.

Top Bottom