• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
GGs Cronox. I did pretty poorly until the end. I think I might be figuring out what works consistently against Bowser. I don't like using Luigi against him. Way too scary.

Good games. I'm still shaking off the rust, feel more comfortable playing default Bowser for the moment cause I haven't really played customs Bowser in a few weeks, and I went to an event where I was stuck without customs in Europe.

I'm not so sure if you're figuring out what works against Bowser so much as what's working against me with your neutral b stuff. I felt like you were trolling me with that so I played more passive to experiment with getting hit by it in the last couple matches.

Luigi should have Bowser's number, but Bowser doesn't flinch to his fireballs until 70ish if I recall. I was giving them way too much respect actually, should have just run through them and Bowser bombed you. So you'll have to adjust your fireball game a little for the matchup.

After having played hours of offline local play, I'm having some trouble adjusting to online again. Maybe that's why I main Bowser... he doesn't require complex inputs or require exact timing for combos. When playing online I find many characters hard to control and use well. Locally I could even play an OK Sheik, but that's really difficult offline.

Edit: still up for playing if anyone else is.

JulianImp

I guess I could play a couple of matches, Chronox. I'll add you and join/host a room.

Just use the Ice Fireball and watch us Bowser players scream.

Yup. We were testing that with Karst, and if you spam iceballs when Bowser's hanging from the ledge he has no way out of that position until he starts freezing, and even then he struggles to get back onstage.

That's one match-up where you can pretend you're Guile and walk alongside your projectiles, since iceballs stuff Bowser's approaches so well it isn't even funny.

Cronox

Banned
I guess I could play a couple of matches, Chronox. I'll add you and join/host a room.

Yup. We were testing that with Karst, and if you spam iceballs when Bowser's hanging from the ledge he has no way out of that position until he starts freezing, and even then he struggles to get back onstage.

That's one match-up where you can pretend you're Guile and walk alongside your projectiles, since iceballs stuff Bowser's approaches so well it isn't even funny.

Added you. You're in Japan? Did the Bowser testing include dash slash?

Glad my feedback is helpful, Murray!

Well, it is on the ledge, so Bowser doesn't have time to jump back and Dash Slash in. It is extremely miserable for him. Luigi can spam B, and Bowser has zero answers. There is an extremely precise point where you can jump between two fireballs, but Bowser is so fat that it takes some luck. Don't let custom Luigi get you off the ledge. :p You are just screwed.

I know what you mean about respecting fireballs too much. I have that problem, too.

JulianImp

No, I'm in Argentina. No to Dash Slash as well, since Karst was using default Bowser at the time.

Gah, I hate when I press back for too long and end up missing the ledge like that...

JulianImp

Good games, Chronox! I guess I didn't adapt fast enough to your fortresses OOS, since my own upB would've trumped your shield if only I would've done it out of an empty jump.

It's crazy that even the crazy cherry's 2% stuns Bowser. I guess he ain't that much of a tough guy after all. Crazy fruits are really interesting for when I want to play a more defensive game, but I'm still trying to gauge whether the added defensive options are worth losing both the bell and the key as finishing moves.

Cronox

Banned
No, I'm in Argentina. No to Dash Slash as well, since Karst was using default Bowser at the time.

Gah, I hate when I press back for too long and end up missing the ledge like that...

It's just that your Mii name looked like it was in Japanese. In a different alphabet anyway.

Good games! I wasn't feeling that great about dash slash in the Pac-Man matchup since it doesn't seem to beat his projectiles (edit: reading your post, maybe it just doesn't beat crazy fruit, hmm). Maybe flying slam (default) is the better Pac-Man choice, I don't know. As you probably saw, I went out of my way to use your hydrant against you. I've played against some pretty good Pac-Mans and have a good idea of the matchup, and a good idea of which attack to hit the hydrant with so it goes in your direction. You've gotta dispose of your hydrant pretty quickly against me or I'll take advantage. A lot of Pac-Man players use it like a wall to charge up some fruit, but watch out for that double-edged sword.

The onstage trampoline is extra intimidating to have to cross with the current trampoline glitch in effect...

Edit:
Step 1: Mash the joystick back and forth
Step 2: Bask in the sick pivots
Step 3: Implement it into 10% of your matches when you remember it exists maybe

This is very optimistic.

Edit: aaaaaaand I'm still up to play if any takers remain.

JulianImp

It's just that your Mii name looked like it was in Japanese. In a different alphabet anyway.

Good games! I wasn't feeling that great about dash slash in the Pac-Man matchup since it doesn't seem to beat his projectiles (edit: reading your post, maybe it just doesn't beat crazy fruit, hmm). Maybe flying slam (default) is the better Pac-Man choice, I don't know. As you probably saw, I went out of my way to use your hydrant against you. I've played against some pretty good Pac-Mans and have a good idea of the matchup, and a good idea of which attack to hit the hydrant with so it goes in your direction. You've gotta dispose of your hydrant pretty quickly against me or I'll take advantage. A lot of Pac-Man players use it like a wall to charge up some fruit, but watch out for that double-edged sword.

The onstage trampoline is extra intimidating to have to cross with the current trampoline glitch in effect...

Edit:

This is very optimistic.

Edit: aaaaaaand I'm still up to play if any takers remain.

Yeah, my Mii name's フリアン (Furian), which is how my name is spelled in Japanese (not ジュリアン since that'd be the English pronounciation). I brought my mii over from my JP N3DS since I liked it, and it has the bonus effect of making JP players a lot more likely to actually stay and play at least a match against me in For Glory.

As for fruits, I only used crazy custom for the last two games, but regular ones deal a lot more damage (normal cherries deal 6, while crazy cherries deal 2), so I bet you'll get stuck in hitstun no matter which kind of fruit I use.

I'd also say using my hydrant is kind of like using the substitute move in a pokémon game, so I've began taking advantage of the fact that most of my opponents kind of develop tunnel vision and stop paying attention to me while a hydrant is in play. I've got to watch out against opponents who can break the hydrant in a single hit, though, since I'm that much more likely to get caught off guard by one.

Too bad I didn't manage to replicate the glitch, though. I was hoping to get it at least once, but so far I haven't managed to trick anyone into falling for it.

Edit: Also, I'm really happy that all our games were close, even if I only managed to win a single one of them. Guess I'm finally back into my Pac-Man groove, but man, I hate how playing other characters makes me get bad at him fast because of how different my mindset has to be when playing as him. For one, every other character I use has decent (Sonic) to stellar (Ness, Luigi, Roy) grabs, so it's one of the things that don't transition well between them and Pac-Man at all.

Cronox

Banned
Yeah, my Mii name's フリアン (Furian), which is how my name is spelled in Japanese (not ジュリアン since that'd be the English pronounciation). I brought my mii over from my JP N3DS since I liked it, and it has the bonus effect of making JP players a lot more likely to actually stay and play at least a match against me in For Glory.

As for fruits, I only used crazy custom for the last two games, but regular ones deal a lot more damage (normal cherries deal 6, while crazy cherries deal 2), so I bet you'll get stuck in hitstun no matter which kind of fruit I use.

I'd also say using my hydrant is kind of like using the substitute move in a pokémon game, so I've began taking advantage of the fact that most of my opponents kind of develop tunnel vision and stop paying attention to me while a hydrant is in play. I've got to watch out against opponents who can break the hydrant in a single hit, though, since I'm that much more likely to get caught off guard by one.

Too bad I didn't manage to replicate the glitch, though. I was hoping to get it at least once, but so far I haven't managed to trick anyone into falling for it.

Edit: Also, I'm really happy that all our games were close, even if I only managed to win a single one of them. Guess I'm finally back into my Pac-Man groove, but man, I hate how playing other characters makes me get bad at him fast because of how different my mindset has to be when playing as him. For one, every other character I use has decent (Sonic) to stellar (Ness, Luigi, Roy) grabs, so it's one of the things that don't transition well between them and Pac-Man at all.

Ah I see. But doesn't that mean that USA players leave when they see the name too then?

Yeah I was careful to avoid your trampolines for that reason. Fruits are great and all but Pac-Man has real trouble killing. I felt that you could have combo'd me a bit more in the early percents, I've played some Pac-Man players that had an impressive early combo game, but I don't recall exactly what they did :/

Good games Cronox.

Good games! Poor Alph looks traumatized. Just watch out cause even Bowser can go offstage if he wants to. You generally covered your landing well with the pikmin. Bowser can basically clear off pikmin instantly with his dtilt, but because it's a slow move you have time to punish me for using it in that fashion. Dash slash obviously gave me the ability to control the matches a bit more, and be more aggressive (though I suppose most characters have to be very aggressive against Olimar/Alph/etc). I feel my gameplay getting a little sloppier when I use it though. That fsmash is deceptively hard to punish, you got me with it consistently. Wish I knew more about Olimar and such, I don't know enough to give a whole lot more feedback.

JulianImp

Ah I see. But doesn't that mean that USA players leave when they see the name too then?

Yeah I was careful to avoid your trampolines for that reason. Fruits are great and all but Pac-Man has real trouble killing. I felt that you could have combo'd me a bit more in the early percents, I've played some Pac-Man players that had an impressive early combo game, but I don't recall exactly what they did :/

Nah, I haven't seen more than a couple non-JP players run away, most likely because my player name isn't in Japanese.

I agree that the biggest challenge is getting kills with Pac-Man. His kill options begin at the mid hundreds for heavier characters, and they amount to reads into smashes, bells into smashes and stray hydrants, with keys and apples being viable only at even higher percentages. Meanwhile, I have to play especially safe because heavyweights get downright crazy with all that rage on top of their already powerful attacks.

As for combos, I've never managed to pick any up from having watched Abadango. Most combos I know are fairly short, such as dthrow into tech-chases, fair into nair and fruit drop-related combos. I've begun using short-hopped dairs for shield pressure + crossups, but the limited range and pitiful damage means opponents will often be eager to trade with it. I really wish Sakurai would let its hits combo into each other rather than leaving opponents stuck in place in a later patch.

If you (or anyone) ever happen to come across replay or video that shows some good Pac-Man combos that work outside of training mode, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me.

While I'm at it, I'll also ask you: What did you think of my defensive game? Is the fact that I rarely ever shield much of an issue? If so, how do you think I should go around to fix those habits?

Puruzi

Banned
Nah, I haven't seen more than a couple non-JP players run away, most likely because my player name isn't in Japanese.

I agree that the biggest challenge is getting kills with Pac-Man. His kill options begin at the mid hundreds for heavier characters, and they amount to reads into smashes, bells into smashes and stray hydrants, with keys and apples being viable only at even higher percentages.

As for combos, I've never managed to pick up any from watching Abadango. Most combos I know are fairly short, such as dthrow into tech-chases, fair into nair and fruit drop-related combos. I've begun using short-hopped dairs for shield pressure + crossups, but the limited range and pitiful damage means opponents will often be eager to trade with it. I really wish Sakurai would let its hits combo into each other rather than leaving opponents stuck in place in a later patch. If you ever happen to come across replay or video that shows some good Pac-Man combos that work outside of training mode, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me.

While I'm at it, I'll also ask you: What did you think of my defensive game? Is the fact that I rarely ever shield much of an issue? If so, how do you think I should go around to fix those habits?

You seen Beatfox's Pac?
Shit's crazy

Cronox

Banned

I agree that the biggest challenge is getting kills with Pac-Man. His kill options begin at the mid hundreds for heavier characters, and they amount to reads into smashes, bells into smashes and stray hydrants, with keys and apples being viable only at even higher percentages. Meanwhile, I have to play especially safe because heavyweights get downright crazy with all that rage on top of their already powerful attacks.

As for combos, I've never managed to pick any up from having watched Abadango. Most combos I know are fairly short, such as dthrow into tech-chases, fair into nair and fruit drop-related combos. I've begun using short-hopped dairs for shield pressure + crossups, but the limited range and pitiful damage means opponents will often be eager to trade with it. I really wish Sakurai would let its hits combo into each other rather than leaving opponents stuck in place in a later patch.

If you (or anyone) ever happen to come across replay or video that shows some good Pac-Man combos that work outside of training mode, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me.

Well, I think your shield could have been up a little more when I was hitting the hydrant :p Against Bowser you don't have to shield that much, though it did get you caught in fortresses. I didn't really notice that you weren't shielding any more than anyone else though.

If I recall, the combo that got me was [starter] -> short hop nair -> land, jump again -> uair -> uair -> fruit or trampoline. Probably not entirely correct though. There were definitely multiple uairs in there. I've also seen the trampoline used as a standard defensive setup, where you trampoline near the edge, then stand between it and the ledge charging fruit, which makes it hard to approach safely. Basically a free opportunity to charge that can't be turned against you like the hydrant can. No videos to show for it though...

JulianImp

You seen Beatfox's Pac?
Shit's crazy

I watched his two combo videos and one match he had against a G&W. His hydrant and melon shenanigans are really interesting, and has made me rethink my previous assesment of melons as "the bad fruit". The creative ways in which he uses the hydrant's water to set up some nasty and unexpected combos are also really interesting, so I'll definitely be picking some of those up. Short hopped fair strings for pressure also seem like an interesting offensive option, even in spite of their low damage and knockback.

Some set-ups like the vertical melon throw into grab are a bit too telegraphed for my liking, though, but there're some genuinely good traps such as vertical melon into trampoline when your opponent is hanging from the ledge.

And I never knew the game had localized SFX for the narrator for the Spanish version of the game. That "Se acabó!", ugh...

JulianImp

Villager= El aldeano!

NO THANK YOU!

I have to listen to the announcer say "La victoria es para... el aldeano!" at least once, though.

And that's why I've always set my system language to English in my consoles. No, Nintendo, I don't want to pilot the Tanquetor with Huesitos (translations for Dry Bomber and Dry Bones in MKDS, respectively).

jfc i am trash at this lmao

question: are the people i face here on par with the average smash wii u player? This is my first game in the franchise and I consider it a "win" if i rack up 50% damage on you guys haha.

What a way to go out. :(

GGs Cyberman, I have to retire now unfortunately. Fox with customs is a lot stronger than I expected, only thing I'd change is to keep standard reflector but I'd have to see endlag differences between the two reflectors. Twisting Fox is some shit, and the 64 Blaster is about as good as the star bit on Rosalina.

Is Fox v. Sonic in Fox's favor with customs?

GGs, CRQ. Bleh, kinda worried now since you're basically the first Fox I've played. Matchup is tough. Feel like I'm only able to get tilts/jabs off most in the matches since they come out faster. :( Really need to use spin dash a lot more in the matchup, which I'm not too used to.

Do you know what stages to ban against Fox?

Is Fox v. Sonic in Fox's favor with customs?
I feel like its even since that Blaster custom stops spin dash. I need more EXP in this matchup to figure out a solid answer, though.

Puruzi

Banned

question: are the people i face here on par with the average smash wii u player? This is my first game in the franchise and I consider it a "win" if i rack up 50% damage on you guys haha.

What do you mean by average? In comparison to For Glory i'd say that many players here are much better than them.

GGs, CRQ. Bleh, kinda worried now since you're basically the first Fox I've played. Matchup is tough. Feel like I'm only able to get tilts/jabs off most in the matches since they come out faster. :( Really need to use spin dash a lot more in the matchup, which I'm not too used to.

I feel like its even since that Blaster custom stops spin dash. I need more EXP in this matchup to figure out a solid answer, though.

Do I not count for the bolded? :T

I want to say you might want to ban FD in the custom match up because of the blaster, but other than that I'm in as much need of the match up knowledge as you are.

What do you mean by average? In comparison to For Glory i'd say that many players here are much better than them.
Agreed. Most people here could break top 32 at a major, no doubt. A minority could get top 8, IMO.

Do I not count for the bolded? :T

I want to say you might want to ban FD in the custom match up because of the blaster, but other than that I'm in as much need of the match up knowledge as you are.
Oh, I meant basically as in one of he first that I've played since I've only played your and his. :p I hardly see anybody else use him.

Yeah, I was thinking FD and stages with high ceilings like Halberd and Town and City.

Agreed. Most people here could break top 32 at a major, no doubt. A minority could get top 8, IMO.

Eh I dunno that feels like an overestimation/underestimation of the competition

Oh, I meant basically as in one of he first that I've played since I've only played your and his. :p I hardly see anybody else use him.

Yeah, I was thinking FD and stages with high ceilings like Halberd and Town and City.

Oh right, Halberd should definitely be your priority unless you want to make use of the lower ceiling yourself.

I'm only speaking off my own experiences, but Fox will always go for FD or Town and City first, those are his preferred stages. Following them are either BF or Smashville. Take him to Lylat if possible.

Also, if Fox can kill off the top easier than his opponent can he'll probably opt for Delfino or Halberd as well, but those stages are high risk/reward since Fox is fragile and his recovery can lead to him missing ledges or getting Halberd'd. Duck Hunt and Castle Siege are just there, though the ducks can mess with his blaster and the dog can screw with everyone.

So ban FD and Town and City and make Fox think carefully.

I'll be honest, I'm not experienced in Fox customs so I stuck with one set the whole time. You already know Twisting Fox and 64 Blaster, but other options include a charging blaster (3) that has obvious startup but big damage and knockback, the Wolf side-B (3) that spikes at the sweetspot but has less horizontal range than his normal side-B, and an up-B (2) that doesn't have a hitbox but gives Fox more flexibility when recovering. Also, Fox can gain extra height off jumps by using fair during the ascent, can stall in the air with any Reflector, and can use Reflector to change the direction he's facing. If you plan to use any characters with a projectile, Fox can escape reflect-lag by rolling, spotdodging, or jumping.

Do you have any secondaries you might consider using? :O

JulianImp

I'd say no, and by a really long shot. All SmashGAFfers I've played are way better than 90% of the people I've come across in For Glory, and the cool thing is we can talk here in between matches to discuss whatever.

Even though you might feel overwhelmed by some opponents, I'd say you're already on your way to becoming a good player. The biggest slope to overcome, IMO, is to get past the point where you see defeats as something bad and finally begin to ask yourself where you could've done better instead. Over time you'll learn how to make smarter (and safer) plays, and will begin getting enough match-up experience to stand against different characters (and even players, once you begin to spot their play patterns and weaknesses!).

For me, Smash is the single fighting game where I just sit and play while feeling that the controller isn't even there. Then again, I had well over a thousand hours of Melee playtime, and I've played all other games in the series quite a bit, starting with 64.

Top Bottom