• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Agreed. Most people here could break top 32 at a major, no doubt. A minority could get top 8, IMO.

Top 32 at a major for sure, maybe even top 16. Top 8 is really stretching it though, depends on what you consider a major. I was one win away from top 8 at Combo Breaker but I wouldn't say that's a major for example.

I consider majors to have more than just Zero in attendance, but multiple players considered top players on a national level like Nairo, Dabuz and Esam.

Eh I dunno that feels like an overestimation/underestimation of the competition

Oh right, Halberd should definitely be your priority unless you want to make use of the lower ceiling yourself.
I got top 32 at UFGT9 in Marvel. :p I would have gotten top 16 if my stick wasn't broken.

JulianImp

I got top 32 at UFGT9 in Marvel. :p I would have gotten top 16 if my stick wasn't broken.

No Johns, Karst.
Not really. Congrats on the achievement!

Oh, how I wish there was an actual Smash community in my country... it seems eSports have only become popular as of late, and that only includes CounterStrike and MOBAs, so...

I'd say no, and by a really long shot. All SmashGAFfers I've played are way better than 90% of the people I've come across in For Glory, and the cool thing is we can talk here in between matches to discuss whatever.

Even though you might feel overwhelmed by some opponents, I'd say you're already on your way to becoming a good player. The biggest slope to overcome, IMO, is to get past the point where you see defeats as something bad and finally begin to ask yourself where you could've done better instead. Over time you'll learn how to make smarter (and safer) plays, and will begin getting enough match-up experience to stand against different characters (and even players, once you begin to spot their play patterns and weaknesses!).

For me, Smash is the single fighting game where I just sit and play while feeling that the controller isn't even there. Then again, I had well over a thousand hours of Melee playtime, and I've played all other games in the series quite a bit, starting with 64.

Okay cool, I was just worried that I'm really bad for a newbie but it makes me feel a lot better knowing that most of the regulars in this thread would place high at tourneys I watch on stream. I don't care about losing or even getting flat out stomped at this point, I genuinely have too much fun playing to care. My goal is to get better though because I want to eventually go to events and not get embarrassed.

JulianImp

Oh we have top player material for sure but I'm just not sure I'd say "majority"

I think most would manage to hold their own, but high-level play is the point where the ones using lower-tier characters would probably be at a severe disadvantage against competitive high tier mains.

I consider Combo Breaker to be a major.

No Johns, Karst.
Not really. Congrats on the achievement!

Oh, how I wish there was an actual Smash community in my country... it seems eSports have only become popular as of late, and that only includes CounterStrike and MOBAs, so...
Haha. My stick really was "broken", though.

I put it in my backpack before I got there, and the DP/Analog stick got switched to the wrong position. Consequently, QCF and QCB motions failed about 50% of the time. Not good. :/ I lost to Unknown for both of my matches, but they were really close even with the broken stick. I got the first hit on every match, and as anyone who has played my Marvel team knows, 1 hit kills your whole team. :)

Unless my stick is broken. :p

Crayolan

GGs Snacks. It's only been a week and a half or so and I already feel rusty as hell. Had to constantly remind myself to not do dumb things.

JulianImp

Haha. My stick really was "broken", though.

I put it in my backpack before I got there, and the DP/Analog stick got switched to the wrong position. Consequently, QCF and QCB motions failed about 50% of the time. Not good. :/ I lost to Unknown for both of my matches, but they were really close even with the broken stick. I got the first hit on every match, and as anyone who has played my Marvel team knows, 1 hit kills your whole team. :)

Unless my stick is broken. :p

That made me think... what's SmashGAF's control of choice for playing the game?

I didn't manage to get a GCN adapter before I had to leave Japan last year, but then I got used really quickly to the WiiU's pro controller. In the end, I don't feel like I'd switch back to a GCN controller now even if I had the chance to do so.

GG
I played pretty mediocre for about an hour after only 2 days off, if I went a week without Smash Bros I would probably forget half of what I know for a few days or inexplicably become better.

I'm only speaking off my own experiences, but Fox will always go for FD or Town and City first, those are his preferred stages. Following them are either BF or Smashville. Take him to Lylat if possible.

Also, if Fox can kill off the top easier than his opponent can he'll probably opt for Delfino or Halberd as well, but those stages are high risk/reward since Fox is fragile and his recovery can lead to him missing ledges or getting Halberd'd. Duck Hunt and Castle Siege are just there, though the ducks can mess with his blaster and the dog can screw with everyone.

So ban FD and Town and City and make Fox think carefully.

I'll be honest, I'm not experienced in Fox customs so I stuck with one set the whole time. You already know Twisting Fox and 64 Blaster, but other options include a charging blaster (3) that has obvious startup but big damage and knockback, the Wolf side-B (3) that spikes at the sweetspot but has less horizontal range than his normal side-B, and an up-B (2) that doesn't have a hitbox but gives Fox more flexibility when recovering. Also, Fox can gain extra height off jumps by using fair during the ascent, can stall in the air with any Reflector, and can use Reflector to change the direction he's facing. If you plan to use any characters with a projectile, Fox can escape reflect-lag by rolling, spotdodging, or jumping.

Do you have any secondaries you might consider using? :O
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

I'm assuming that most Fox's use the same set that you used in that set. 64 Blaster reminds me of Luma shot, which is pretty good. Going to watch this set that another Sonic main recommended me and see what I can do.

My secondaries are only MK and Falco. I'm worried to try them against Fox.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

I'm assuming that most Fox's use the same set that you used in that set. 64 Blaster reminds me of Luma shot, which is pretty good. Going to watch this set that another Sonic main recommended me and see what I can do.

My secondaries are only MK and Falco. I'm worried to try them against Fox.

No problem!

I know a lot of my knowledge from my own experience and intuition, but I learned a lot of stuff from my local Fox mains too. Maybe see if your local scene has some Fox players to practice the matchup with, if you have a scene.

If it weren't for the customs, I'd personally say Fox v. Falco is 55-45 Fox. Falco does pretty well since his jab comes out on the same frame as Fox, he has a better offstage game and good kill follow ups off his throws as well as very effective punishing attacks if Fox messes up. However, I'm not sure how customs change things up. The only viable customs for Falco if I recall correctly are Reflector 3 and his two up-B customs, maybe the Explosive Blaster too. I can see him struggling against the custom Blaster due to his poor overall mobility.

I don't know how Meta Knight does against Fox, but I don't doubt he can keep up with Fox and he's got a great grab.

I didn't manage to get a GCN adapter before I had to leave Japan last year, but then I got used really quickly to the WiiU's pro controller. In the end, I don't feel like I'd switch back to a GCN controller now even if I had the chance to do so.
I use the Wii U Pro because GCN adaptors are impossible to find in the states

GG
I played pretty mediocre for about an hour after only 2 days off, if I went a week without Smash Bros I would probably forget half of what I know for a few days or inexplicably become better.

Well for me it's forget how to play for a couple of hours then suddenly become better.

Not playing has the advantage of resetting habits. At least for me.

Wii game pad day one. I got the GCN adapter but I havent played enough on it to feel comfterable with it again.

I use the Wii U Pro because GCN adaptors are impossible to find in the states

Get a Mayflash (third party) one like I did off ebay. Its cheap (10 to 15 bucks usually) and you can also use it on your PC. Works great.

Just curious, everyone says we have some very good players on GAF, but how do the "very good" players do when compared to their local scenes (if they have one?)

I haven't played much with my local scene, but I can say if I really went out to weeklies and proved myself I could probably barely crack top 10 around here. Maybe. What about you all? :O

When I went to my local tourney I saw almost every control setup there. GC Controller, Pro Controller, Wiimote+nunchunk, 3ds, etc.

I think most gaffers are pro controllers or GC controller.

Just curious, everyone says we have some very good players on GAF, but how do the "very good" players do when compared to their local scenes (if they have one?)

I haven't played much with my local scene, but I can say if I really went out to weeklies and proved myself I could probably barely crack top 10 around here. Maybe. What about you all? :O

I'm #1.
Of 1. Because nobody else plays video games here.

It IS nice to know that most of the regulars here would be winning or damn near winning tournies, but damn you guys are crazy good. Lot of times I can barely land a hit on half of you haha.

EDIT: Though I did play a few hours of For Glory earlier and felt like I was doing really well. Only time I really lost was against a damn Olimar (fucker).

GC controller.

When do I get my second lesson, Karst?
What is your schedule like? How have you been progressing?

I'm a fuggin weirdo so I have GCN controller, with C stick Tilts, L for Shield, R for Grab, and Z for jump.

The definition of a "major" here must be incredibly lenient, Final Round is not a Smash major, nor is NCR, or Combo Breaker, or whatever non-Evo/CEO FGC tournament you wanna put out there.

Probably in top 10? I have players like Vinnie, DKwill, Dabuz and Raptor in my region. I can take games off of them every time I play them in tourney, but I've only taken a set off of each of them once besides Dabuz. Dabuz is like on another level, not to discredit the others I listed there.

FSLink

Banned
I can usually crack top 8 but my region's smaller (Hawaii). We do have one of the best Diddy and one of the best Sheiks in the US I feel, I expect those two to do very well at EVO.

They haven't been impossible to find for a little bit.
Official ones are MSRP on Amazon now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3LQ1FI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use GC controller with tap jump off, and L mapped to jump for glide tossing and easier OOS attacks.

Keep C-Stick as smash, but I'm likely to swap to just attack depending on the character.

Oh my god thank you!!!!! I stopped looking in March after pestering my local Best Buy and Gamestop for news of shipments for months on end.

GC controller.

What is your schedule like? How have you been progressing?

I am free to play every single weekday after 6PM EST and anytime on the weekends since I'm a hermit (some would say anti-social nerd) and don't leave the house lol.

I've been playing about an hour a day since we left off a few months ago with a friend of mine who is at my skill level. Mostly I've been working on consistently performing nairs, stage control while playing aggressive (I picked Fox to main), and punishing.

Fandangox

Is that why I dont see you as much here? That sucks, I have the 3DS also if you wanna have a few matches whenever!

Yeah sometimes is because I don't have access to the Wii U, but yeah gamepad has issues and I have to get it replaced. Its not that BIG of an issue, but its annoying in games where I need quick precise inputs. Thanks for the offer too, will come here next time looking for a match.

Dude, get a pro controller for cheap! Even a Wii Remote + Classic Controller or something. D:

I think I probably will, although if I can find a GC adapter that would be better since I already the controller just never found the adapter. I just generally prefer gamepad though, because all I need to play is power socket and the console.

JulianImp

I use the gamepad, but after it got busted I have been relegated to 3DS smash V:

Can't you use your 3DS to play on WiiU as well? Or do you just not own any controls other than your busted gamepad?

We could play on 3DS sometime if you want. Still, I've got to use my N3DS, since not having a C-stick in the default 3DS is a real pain (even more so when I use Sonic, since spin shooting's timing is nearly impossible for me to do without a C-stick).

As for my control scheme, I use tap jump off, both L buttons set to shield and both Rs set to grab. I don't know a thing about glide tossing, but I've heard Pac-Man's is bad enough that I'm not missing out on much.

FSLink

Banned
As for my control scheme, I use tap jump off, both L buttons set to shield and both Rs set to grab. I don't know a thing about glide tossing, but I've heard Pac-Man's is bad enough that I'm not missing out on much.

I just always have it on, even when I'm using a character that doesn't use items just so I can glide toss against opponents who do (ex: Diddy's banana)

Pac-Man's glide toss isn't too great but I'd just turn one of those shield buttons into jump, as well as being able to usmash or jump out of shield easier/more consistently if I were you.

Fandangox

Can't you use your 3DS to play on WiiU as well? Or do you just not own any controls other than your busted gamepad?

We could play on 3DS sometime if you want. Still, I've got to use my N3DS, since not having a C-stick in the default 3DS is a real pain (even more so when I use Sonic, since spin shooting's timing is nearly impossible for me to do without a C-stick).

Oh I forgot I could do that, isn't the functionality just for offline modes though?

Neki

Sonic with hammer spin dash is ridiculous too, made the match up against me at least plus one, vanilla sonic vs vanilla Rosalina is fine with me though.

Yeah sometimes is because I don't have access to the Wii U, but yeah gamepad has issues and I have to get it replaced. Its not that BIG of an issue, but its annoying in games where I need quick precise inputs. Thanks for the offer too, will come here next time looking for a match.

I think I probably will, although if I can find a GC adapter that would be better since I already the controller just never found the adapter. I just generally prefer gamepad though, because all I need to play is power socket and the console.

My issue is that my gamepad's charging cable is fucked so the pad's just sitting in the cradle waiting for me to stop being lazy and buy a new one.

I wish these things still ran on AA's.

Also, the official GC adapter is available on Amazon at MSRP so go for it. :)

JulianImp

Sadly yes.....

Seriously? That's lame as hell. I just asked him since I saw the "use 3DS as controller" option while I was migrating custom movesets to my WiiU console.

Anyway... I'd be open to playing on 3DS as well, even though I wish the slide pad would be a bit more responsive.

The definition of a "major" here must be incredibly lenient, Final Round is not a Smash major, nor is NCR, or Combo Breaker, or whatever non-Evo/CEO FGC tournament you wanna put out there.
Majors are majors. You don't qualify it by individual titles.

Oh my god thank you!!!!! I stopped looking in March after pestering my local Best Buy and Gamestop for news of shipments for months on end.

I am free to play every single weekday after 6PM EST and anytime on the weekends since I'm a hermit (some would say anti-social nerd) and don't leave the house lol.

I've been playing about an hour a day since we left off a few months ago with a friend of mine who is at my skill level. Mostly I've been working on consistently performing nairs, stage control while playing aggressive (I picked Fox to main), and punishing.
K. Let's aim for early next week.

Majors are majors. You don't qualify it by individual titles.

K. Let's aim for early next week.

That makes no sense, a major is determined by the quality of competition for that particular game, not whether the Street Fighter community defines it as a major.

otherwise Apex is a major for the rest of the FGC, and that's obviously absurd

Apex isn't a major?

for Smash, but SF/Marvel/etc. sure as hell won't refer to Apex as a major, nor should they

Puruzi

Banned
That makes no sense, a major is determined by the quality of competition for that particular game, not whether the Street Fighter community defines it as a major.

otherwise Apex is a major for the rest of the FGC, and that's obviously absurd

for Smash, but SF/Marvel/etc. sure as hell won't refer to Apex as a major, nor should they

this is a smash thread.

Top Bottom