• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

this is a smash thread.

The point was that the Street Fighter community does not consider Apex to be a major for them, just like the Smash community as a whole doesn't consider the likes of NCR and Combo Breaker to be majors.

edit: here's a hastily drawn up list of Smash 4 majors so far in 2015 (not including Japan in this)

Final Battle, Paragon Orlando, Apex 2015, MVG Sandstorm, CEO 2015

Being honest, I still wouldn't call Combo Breaker a Sm4sh major at least. There wasn't much in the way of high-level players besides Zero, the guy who finished 3rd is barely top 5 in the local scene here and Coco was some Olimar from Michigan (dunno how he ranks in the Michigan PR but apparently he's pretty good.) The Midwest aren't exactly known for having a strong Smash scene, lol.

As for what I would consider a major, I'd call CEO a major for Sm4sh. There was a huge turnout, lots of high-level talent showed up. That's what I'd call a major.

Just use the Ice Fireball and watch us Bowser players scream.

I always forget to use iceballs because they only work in a few matchups.

Good games. I'm still shaking off the rust, feel more comfortable playing default Bowser for the moment cause I haven't really played customs Bowser in a few weeks, and I went to an event where I was stuck without customs in Europe.

I'm not so sure if you're figuring out what works against Bowser so much as what's working against me with your neutral b stuff. I felt like you were trolling me with that so I played more passive to experiment with getting hit by it in the last couple matches.

Luigi should have Bowser's number, but Bowser doesn't flinch to his fireballs until 70ish if I recall. I was giving them way too much respect actually, should have just run through them and Bowser bombed you. So you'll have to adjust your fireball game a little for the matchup.

After having played hours of offline local play, I'm having some trouble adjusting to online again. Maybe that's why I main Bowser... he doesn't require complex inputs or require exact timing for combos. When playing online I find many characters hard to control and use well. Locally I could even play an OK Sheik, but that's really difficult offline.

Edit: still up for playing if anyone else is.

I was using neutral-B quite a bit, but it was working! That very last kill I got was great.

I think I rely on fireballs too much as Luigi. I probably do this because I am not used to how slow his air speed is compared to Yoshi, so doing aerials feels completely different and less safe, even if he still has some pretty safe aerials.

I don't think I would do well at a tournament. I would probably end up facing a Sonic or Sheik and lose right away. The good news is my city seems to have a Smash Wii U group now. I just joined the FB group, so I am making progress. They seem to have a couple of places where they run tournaments. One is a bar, so I won't likely be going there, but there second seems to be something they just started at a card/boardgame place that is only like 10 minutes from me. The tournaments are supposedly monthly, but they've only held one and it was Melee. They say it switches every time, so there should be a tournament I can go to at the end of this month. If I do go, it will be my first real time playing offline.

That makes no sense, a major is determined by the quality of competition for that particular game, not whether the Street Fighter community defines it as a major.

otherwise Apex is a major for the rest of the FGC, and that's obviously absurd

for Smash, but SF/Marvel/etc. sure as hell won't refer to Apex as a major, nor should they
Events are majors or they aren't, and I don't think it makes sense to gauge solely by the competition. There isn't any core criteria for whether a game is a major or not right now, but consider this: CEO is universally agreed to be a major. This year, two of the Marvel gods couldn't make it. Is it still a Marvel major?

If an event is dependent on the level of competition for its title, then any time the Marvel gods don't show up, the event loses its status as a major. Doesn't that seem odd to you? Since ZeRo is the only real high level player in Smash 4, any event he doesn't show up to is no longer a major, either.

Majors are majors, IMO, because of the crowds they draw. Even if no top players show up to an event, if it has a 512 player bracket, I think it can be called a major based on draw alone. If it is based on competition, then we have to call something like a 16 player tournament a "major" if the best players show up, and that is pretty ridiculous.

FSLink

Banned
I'd say if it had a decent crowd, and even without Zero if it had quality players like VoiD, Larry Lurr, Nairo, NAKAT, etc, I'd call it a major. It's a combination of both.

Beats

ok here's another video that was posted in April that makes more sense to me: https://twitter.com/washiga_yatta/status/588562134142955521

I got it down in a few minutes, but ZL/ZR are set to Attack/Special and C-stick is set to Smash attacks. You basically hold ZL/ZR and tilt the left stick in the direction you want to move in and then tap the stick c-stick repeatedly in the opposite direction.

edit: Okay I see how TANI is actually doing it now. Similar method, but you just tap the left stick at same time as the c-stick.

Events are majors or they aren't, and I don't think it makes sense to gauge solely by the competition. There isn't any core criteria for whether a game is a major or not right now, but consider this: CEO is universally agreed to be a major. This year, two of the Marvel gods couldn't make it. Is it still a Marvel major?

If an event is dependent on the level of competition for its title, then any time the Marvel gods don't show up, the event loses its status as a major. Doesn't that seem odd to you? Since ZeRo is the only real high level player in Smash 4, any event he doesn't show up to is no longer a major, either.

Majors are majors, IMO, because of the crowds they draw. Even if no top players show up to an event, if it has a 512 player bracket, I think it can be called a major based on draw alone. If it is based on competition, then we have to call something like a 16 player tournament a "major" if the best players show up, and that is pretty ridiculous.

no, that's not how it works, as long as the overall level of competition is high, it doesn't need ZeRo

conversely, tournaments with ZeRo+almost nobody else aren't majors just because he's there

regardless, even if we go by the bolded, the non-Evo/CEO FGC tournaments fail to reach that standard

Just curious, everyone says we have some very good players on GAF, but how do the "very good" players do when compared to their local scenes (if they have one?)

I haven't played much with my local scene, but I can say if I really went out to weeklies and proved myself I could probably barely crack top 10 around here. Maybe. What about you all? :O

I win every local tourney I go to but I would say the scene here is small and fairly weak minus a few players. We are supposedly finally getting a big tourney here in aug. I should travel to houston for a tourney one day but I am fairly lazy

What is ideal controller set up when using pro controller / game pad.
100% personal preference. I have changed my controls at least 5 times since I started.

I win every local tourney I go to but I would say the scene here is small and fairly weak minus a few players. We are supposedly finally getting a big tourney here in aug. I should travel to houston for a tourney one day but I am fairly lazy
I am slightly upset you aren't going to Evo.

100% personal preference. I have changed my controls at least 5 times since I started.

I am slightly upset you aren't going to Evo.

That one is excuseable, travel/money wise.

Although I suppose I could have one of you act as an "independent fan" and start a few kickstarter threads on here and OT to raise money, and I'll act surprised, since that seems allowed ;)

I will try to make it to a bigger Texas tourney soon though

Going to eat now.

Do you play for fun or are you looking to join the No Fun club?

Stuff like DI seems very inside baseball.

Are you trying to figure out what DI is? There are some videos on it from Melee and Brawl that are mostly still relevant. I don't think everything in here still works but it has the basic ideas. Holding in a direction when being hit affects which direction an attack sends you. If you get hit by an attack that sends you up, you hold to the side and you'll fly diagonally. If you get hit horizontally, you can alter your trajectory to be more vertical and avoid being KO'd off the side. You can also escape certain multi-hit attacks or dodge some combos by holding in the correct direction.

That one is excuseable, travel/money wise.

Although I suppose I could have one of you act as an "independent fan" and start a few kickstarter threads on here and OT to raise money, and I'll act surprised, since that seems allowed ;)

I will try to make it to a bigger Texas tourney soon though
Ah, yah. Are you married?

No comment on the rest of that!

Ah, yah. Are you married?

No comment on the rest of that!

No. One of the main things is, unless I am playing, I get bored fairly quickly. My personality doesn't mesh with a lot of the players that goes to these tourneys

edit: Dunno if Snacks is coming, but I have a game up if anyone wants to join.

JulianImp

Edit: Okay, see you around. It's decent, but I needed more time to stop being a reckless moron and giving you a hand with your combos. No more steering in the air towards you since my crappy aerials don't beat that ridiculous spike.

I liked how you fished with down B in Kalos. Too bad Pac-Man can't punish that without enough prep time.

Basically, I believe Pac-Man's like the goddamn Batman. Give him enough prep time and he can do nice stuff, but get in his face and harass him and there's little his pretty gadgets can do to save him.

Looking for opponents, I guess.

Top Bottom