• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
That sucks. I went to a local like that once. Never again, especially since it was so crowded. Shoulder to shoulder at times in a small back area of a bar. I got to play 3 matches in 2 hours. Not fun.

Right now, we always have 1 dedicated station for friendlies at our weeklies. It usually has 8 people playing on it at a time, but it's still playing. If it's too crowded, I step on another machine. It helps playing everything. I'll jump in on Xrd, Marvel, MKX, Skullgirls, or SFIV if there's a spot. Love fighting games.

Maybe look for other weeklies?

I will be around in the afternoon. :)

Yeah after reading your post I went and looked at what's going on around me. There's a lot (it's summer after all). Maybe I'll go to one on Wednesday. I'll stay away from the weekly I mentioned for a while longer, though it's the one that gets streamed and where all the big names go.

I'll be around tomorrow, maybe I'll catch you. Though I'll probably keep our matches from running too long, I have to get some stuff done at some point.

Damn. I would never consider that far of a tournament unless it was some major thing with a bunch of top players going. The Toronto area has that sometimes, but that is at least a 2 hour drive from where I live. Not possible for someone who is 17.

The one place that the group holds tournaments near me is a bar. It seems there is a $10 venue fee, and then $5 per each event entered. Definitely doesn't interest me right now. The other place is a card shop, and I don't know how much it is because they haven't done a Wii U Smash tournament there yet. The place isn't very far from me, just 10-15 minutes, so I am interested right now. No idea how I will compete in a tournament setting. I won't know anyone and I am kinda an introvert.

We take what we can get. All I know is I just want to try my skills in a competitive setting outside of ranbats. I have been stuck fighting the same people that kick my ass every two months, so finding some new people to kick my ass will be a welcomed change. I haven't played nearly 4000 battles with Yoshi to give up anytime soon.

Well Zero showed up to this weekly the Thursday before MVG Sandstorm IIRC, if I hadn't had a thing I woulda gone to watch in person. Yeah closer is always better, as long as other people show up. For me it takes a while to transition from the online environment to the local one. Bowser feels much faster locally, I don't flub inputs or mistime moves nearly as often - but initially I perform worse until I get used to it. Is there a local Facebook Smash group? You should join it if so.

The most important thing I read, completely out of context. Quoted forever.

Well Zero showed up to this weekly the Thursday before MVG Sandstorm IIRC, if I hadn't had a thing I woulda gone to watch in person. Yeah closer is always better, as long as other people show up. For me it takes a while to transition from the online environment to the local one. Bowser feels much faster locally, I don't flub inputs or mistime moves nearly as often - but initially I perform worse until I get used to it. Is there a local Facebook Smash group? You should join it if so.

Yeah, the group I am talking about is a FB group. Originally they were only Melee, but then I checked the Smashboards post again and they added groups for Wii U, Brawl, and Project M. There are 56 people in the Wii U group right now. I originally thought my city would have adapted Smash Wii U faster with being almost 400k people in size, but at least progress is being made now.

5 a.m., I should go to bed.

Zemm

So this is my first Smash game and I just played about 10 games online. Why does everything feel like it's moving in slow motion when playing online? It feels bad and nothing like playing local/vs the CPU. I thought it might have been lag and my connection but it's not after doing tests and trying other games.

Also what's a good first character to pick up? I'm doing OK as toon link currently.

JulianImp

Was it me, or did Pac-Man somehow miss a grab at point-blank range?

@Zemm: You could try playing us sometime to see whether the source of the lag was you or your opponents.

So this is my first Smash game and I just played about 10 games online. Why does everything feel like it's moving in slow motion when playing online? It feels bad and nothing like playing local/vs the CPU. I thought it might have been lag and my connection but it's not after doing tests and trying other games.

Also what's a good first character to pick up? I'm doing OK as toon link currently.

Even the best lag online has a slight bit of input delay. That could be what you are reffering to. It takes a bit to get used to, ,but if you have a good connection, it is very minimal and it will start to feel like offline play.

For Glory is hit or miss online. It's better to play players on here, as most of us have very good connections.

JulianImp

In Soviet Russia, fruits eat you(r needles)!

anyone up for some 1v1s?

Maybe we could do some 2v2s with someone else?

Edit: Sorry Karst, didn't save that match. I guess Puruzi could back my statement as a witness? I think the grab must have some deadzone when really close to Pac-Man, so characters on "thin" animations can avoid the hitbox. In this case, Ganon was doing the "dangling from the edge of the stage" animation.

JulianImp

Last game for me.

Karst: Now I missed my grab against Sheik as well. I'll send you that replay... except I pressed start right after I finished typing this message.

Puruzi

Banned
In Soviet Russia, fruits eat you(r needles)!

Maybe we could do some 2v2s with someone else?

Edit: Sorry Karst, didn't save that match. I guess Puruzi could back my statement as a witness? I think the grab must have some deadzone when really close to Pac-Man, so characters on "thin" animations can avoid the hitbox. In this case, Ganon was doing the "dangling from the edge of the stage" animation.
Yeah it whiffed, but I was charging an upsmash, not doing the almost falling animation

JulianImp

Yeah it whiffed, but I was charging an upsmash, not doing the almost falling animation

Still, it seems whenever a character does an animation that makes his/her/its horizontal hurtbox thinner than the deadzone, Pac-Man is almost guaranteed to will whiff his grabs if he's too close.

Good games. I liked how I slowly adapted to your aggresive shielding and managed to get many grabs in despite Pac-Man's crappy animation, but it's really funny how fthow doesn't even kill past 150%. I can attempt kill thows past that with bthrow and uthrow (the latter only on lighter fighters, though), but fthrow is so awful... no combo potential, no kill potential and doesn't deal enough damage to offset all these disadvantages.

Puruzi

Banned
Still, it seems whenever a character does an animation that makes his/her/its horizontal hurtbox thinner than the deadzone, Pac-Man is almost guaranteed to will whiff his grabs if he's too close.

Good games. I liked how I slowly adapted to your aggresive shielding and managed to get many grabs in despite Pac-Man's crappy animation, but it's really funny how fthow doesn't even kill past 150%.
GGs. It's a good thing that it doesn't matter if you get grabbed by Pac, he barely has any followups on grab. He needs better ways to get kills, killing with him is the real struggle

JulianImp

GGs. It's a good thing that it doesn't matter if you get grabbed by Pac, he barely has any followups on grab. He needs better ways to get kills, killing with him is the real struggle

Yeah. His kills basically amount to loose hydrants, u/fsmashes and keys, with bells as a way to set-up smash attacks. If you get around the 150s you might get KOs with apples, nair, bair, bthrow or uthrow, but at that time your opponent has so much rage it becomes a struggle to seal the deal before they use their racked-up damage against Pac-Man.

So one thing I've learned yesterday is that my Doc and Charizard have leveled up to where I can safely use them in tournaments now. This is without customs even! I should continue to practice Fox and especially Mario, but I'm happy with the progress I'm making. :)

Zemm

Even the best lag online has a slight bit of input delay. That could be what you are reffering to. It takes a bit to get used to, ,but if you have a good connection, it is very minimal and it will start to feel like offline play.

For Glory is hit or miss online. It's better to play players on here, as most of us have very good connections.

It's more than lag, it feels disgusting to play and that's with full bars. Comparing it to other fighters (I realise this isn't a fighter) but it's so slow and unfun like this. Oh well I'll stick to Splatoon and MK8.

It's more than lag, it feels disgusting to play and that's with full bars. Comparing it to other fighters (I realise this isn't a fighter) but it's so slow and unfun like this. Oh well I'll stick to Splatoon and MK8.
It is definitely a fighter...

You should get your connection fixed.

Is this your first Smash? I am sure if you play against some of the better players here you will experience very speedy offline play while playing online. We should play =D

Zemm

Is this your first Smash? I am sure if you play against some of the better players here you will experience very speedy offline play while playing online. We should play =D

How will it be different? It's still online. And yes it is. The game clearly isn't for me as I think it's pretty bad, to slow for my tastes and the 4 player is just a visual mess.

How will it be different? It's still online. And yes it is. The game clearly isn't for me as I think it's pretty bad, to slow for my tastes and the 4 player is just a visual mess.

For Glory doesn't have the best online. You are playing with a ton of casual players who probably don't understand how to maximize their connection for online fighting (ex: playing while someone else is streaming).

I am surprised you think the game is slow. It isn't. I just don't think you are playing against good competition. If you play somebody that understands the game, I think you will find it is a very quick, reflex driven game.

edit: would you be willing to play a few matches right now?

So one thing I've learned yesterday is that my Doc and Charizard have leveled up to where I can safely use them in tournaments now. This is without customs even! I should continue to practice Fox and especially Mario, but I'm happy with the progress I'm making. :)
I want to face you custom Charizard this week. :p

Top Bottom