• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Probably just a troll.

I am just thinking misinformed

I don't know what it'll achieve? I'm a beginner and I guess you aren't.

Well, the assumption is if you experience higher level play, it would put some of your arguments to rest, as some of the points you made just come from ignorance of not understanding the meta game.
If you are not willing to play against high level play, then your points are invalid.

trixx

I tried playing this game again. want to be at least be able to beat leve l9 cpu's with relative ease using Marth. Any most know guides for beginners.

Also how do you punish air dodges.

Getting rekt by level 9's right now. Too scared to go online

I tried playing this game again. want to be at least be able to beat leve l9 cpu's with relative ease using Marth. Any most know guides for beginners.

Nobody sees your For Glory record but yourself, so don't even worry about it. Play people on here vs CPU. You will get better quicker. One of the best things you can do is find some good videos of Marth on youtube, and try to mimic what a successful Marth player is doing.

Better to play people than computers.

JulianImp

You made me spit out my drink.....

Edit: Just found this, safe to say that some of us can relate to some if not most of these!

https://youtu.be/rSInCpg5Hxw

A fellow Salty Better, I assume? Hitbox scams were fun there, but the one meme I really liked from it was the whole mexican thing, including mexibeams and El Presidente. I still log in every now and then for old time's sake, even though SB is a shadow of its former self with barely over 100 people on at most times.

With what I've learned today, Pac-Man's grab isn't only slow, short-ranged and with far too many inactive frames after it ends, but it also misses thin opponents at point-blank range. Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaai!

Level 9 computers basically cheat. It's nearly impossible to hit them in the air, they'll always airdodge.

JulianImp

Karst, Sham, I think you're being overly harsh to a potential new player. He's right that he should probably play against someone with a closer skill level to him than Sham.

We won't be getting new players if we gather together as a clique an label them as trolls or people who "don't get it" as soon as they refuse to play a SmashGAFfer who us regulars know does well at competitive tourneys. It's unlikely he'll be able to pick up on the subtle strategies, mindgames and reads that make up competitive Smash if he still doesn't have his basics down, and his experience of playing with a full-fledged competitive player will amount to getting thrashed without even understanding why.

Karst's training of a now stable Fox player sounds a lot more likely to help a new player than asking them to play you and telling them you won't be holding back, since that'll often lead to them getting 2-stocked over and over until they quit in frustration.

Puruzi

Banned
Karst, Sham, I think you're being overly harsh to a potential new player. He's right that he should probably play against someone with a closer skill level to him than Sham.

We won't be getting new players if we gather together as a clique an label them as trolls or people who "don't get it" as soon as they refuse to play a SmashGAFfer who us regulars know does well at competitive tourneys. It's unlikely he'll be able to pick up on the subtle strategies, mindgames and reads that make up competitive Smash if he still doesn't have his basics down, and his experience of playing with a full-fledged competitive player will amount to getting thrashed without even understanding why.

Karst's training of a now stable Fox player sounds a lot more likely to help a new player than asking them to play you and telling them you won't be holding back, since that'll often lead to them getting 2-stocked over and over until they quit in frustration.

I think Karst said he's a troll because he came in to say that the game is slow, bad and unfun, and that he'll stick to two other unrelated games.

I feel like I've been very cordial with him. If someone who is not informed keeps shooting down my explanations, I don't see another way of helping besides playing them and showing them what I am saying.

Oidisco

It's better to practice these things with other players than Level 9 cpu, especially because CPU cheats!

Also, I main Marth so if you want help learning him let me know!

Cronoc, you always leave me completely unsatisfied. GGs. You can really feel Mewtwo's weight in that set.

I think Karst said he's a troll because he came in to say that the game is slow, bad and unfun, and that he'll stick to two other unrelated games.
Also, most importantly, Smash isn't a fighting game.

Cronox

Banned
Cronoc, you always leave me completely unsatisfied. GGs. You can really feel Mewtwo's weight in that set.

Aww man... my b. Good games though. For some reason I'm just not comfortable with dash slash, I'm not doing proper shenanigans like I would have before I left. I'm not really doing much with Bowser's klaw or dash slash really, it's like I have to be reminded they exist. Don't know what's going on with me. I take it you didn't like that I gave you a sympathy stock on what was supposed to be the last match?

Also, did the patches since late May completely prioritize the host or what? I don't think you got to choose a single stage the whole time we played.

Edit:
It's more than lag, it feels disgusting to play and that's with full bars. Comparing it to other fighters (I realise this isn't a fighter) but it's so slow and unfun like this. Oh well I'll stick to Splatoon and MK8.

Do you have an ethernet connection on your Wii U? A fighting game like Smash needs a good connection, and can't compensate for lag like Splatoon and Mario Kart do.

Oidisco

I only just learned that the Gerudo Valley remix is also in the Wii U version, so now begins the music grinding to get that cd.

Anyone know the fastest way to get music? Right now I'm doing the Masterball thing where you set the game to high speed and item rate and wait for Mew, but it's pretty slow.

Puruzi

Banned
I only just learned that the Gerudo Valley remix is also in the Wii U version, so now begins the music grinding to get that cd.

Anyone know the fastest way to get music? Right now I'm doing the Masterball thing where you set the game to high speed and item rate and wait for Mew, but it's pretty slow.
Crazy orders and always pick whatever challenge has a CD

Hot damn, I wish that the replay channel had more options, like saving the replays or finding out who was involved in them... Just saw an AWESOME Peach that'd I'd love to see more of.

Boney

Banned
I've been running into tons of good players today in FG. Just now I was fighting someone who had an impeccable Megaman, really aggressive and methodical, really knew his uppercut. Fantastic Greninja as well, with footstool combos

Aww man... my b. Good games though. For some reason I'm just not comfortable with dash slash, I'm not doing proper shenanigans like I would have before I left. I'm not really doing much with Bowser's klaw or dash slash really, it's like I have to be reminded they exist. Don't know what's going on with me. I take it you didn't like that I gave you a sympathy stock on what was supposed to be the last match?

Also, did the patches since late May completely prioritize the host or what? I don't think you got to choose a single stage the whole time we played.

Edit:

Do you have an ethernet connection on your Wii U? A fighting game like Smash needs a good connection, and can't compensate for lag like Splatoon and Mario Kart do.
If I SD,that is on me.

I also forget Klaw exists. I overrely on Dash Slash.

I choose random, so you always get stage pick.

Oidisco

I was worried ye would say Crazy Orders. I tried it twice earlier, both times got close to round 20 and only saw 2 matches where cd's were the reward.

Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

Neki

I was gonna play you Shamrock but you and Karts were amidst dueling each other when I got home. Anyone want to play?

Thulius

Hot damn, I wish that the replay channel had more options, like saving the replays or finding out who was involved in them... Just saw an AWESOME Peach that'd I'd love to see more of.

Hmm, don't they at least show nametags? I remember getting a PM on smashboards from a dude that had watched one of my replays before. Kinda weird I guess, but there's always the chance you can find what you're looking for with a cursory google search.

Haven't really looked at the replay channel myself though, surprised to hear there's no way to follow a specific player.

Beats

I think I'd play default Wii Fit Trainer if her side-b projectile launched at a more downward angle like her custom one.

I think I'd play default Wii Fit Trainer if her side-b projectile launched at a more downward angle like her custom one.
I don't know her well, but when you charge it, does the angle change? I also noticed some folks would start it, air dodge cancel, and then it was just a freebie item to hit around in the neutral.

Cronox

Banned
If I SD,that is on me.

I also forget Klaw exists. I overrely on Dash Slash.

I choose random, so you always get stage pick.

Dash slash is easy to over-rely on. It's his safest approach. Without it approaching is really problematic. Like... SHADC, jumping fire breath, fair (hope you don't get grabbed) to jab, run up and grab... all risky.

Forgot to complement you on your spacing, you were just pixels away from my ftilts all the time, and you punished those whiffs with nairs pretty consistently. I have no idea how long to shield that move and stupidly tried to spot-dodge way too often and you were able to capitalize on that. Bowser's slow aerials hurt cause true combo or not, I'm not getting out of it. Would love Luigi's nair...

Dash slash is easy to over-rely on. It's his safest approach. Without it approaching is really problematic. Like... SHADC, jumping fire breath, fair (hope you don't get grabbed) to jab, run up and grab... all risky.

Forgot to complement you on your spacing, you were just pixels away from my ftilts all the time, and you punished those whiffs with nairs pretty consistently. I have no idea how long to shield that move and stupidly tried to spot-dodge way too often and you were able to capitalize on that. Bowser's slow aerials hurt cause true combo or not, I'm not getting out of it. Would love Luigi's nair...
We'd all love Luigi or Yoshi's Nair, haha.

Thank you for the compliment. Just practice shielding the entire Nair, and then work from there. I noticed you spot dodging it a lot - happens. I actually ran in to bait your spot dodge, you spot dodged, and then I forgot to punish it. -_- I think you might over-rely on SHADC a bit.

We'll do another set soon. I still have far too little Bowser experience.

Oidisco

Screw it, I'm giving up on finding this song for today. Crazy Orders is the worst since I don't have the equipment that makes it super easy

Screw it, I'm giving up on finding this song for today. Crazy Orders is the worst since I don't have the equipment that makes it super easy

I only had access to the Mewtwo customs glitch for a day before it was patched out. I was hoping to use it in Crazy Orders a lot more than I was able to. It made it so easy!

Still looking to play.

JulianImp

Also, most importantly, Smash isn't a fighting game.

If you asked me, I'd label Smash as a platformer fighting game, if anything, due to the focus on movement and "not falling off" compared to most other traditional fighting games.

I agree that it gets boring to hear that, but I prefer ignoring it. If the user happens to be a troll they'll leave after not getting a response, and if they're genuinely looking to get into Smash they will get over the whole "Is Smash a real fighting game?" thing over time.

Regarding lag, it's easy to understand that people might say "But Splatoon and Mario Kart don't lag!". Very few people actually know the differences in how you'd handle synchronizing a game with looser interaction compared to a fighting game, which tends to require frame-perfect synchronization (hence the game slowing to a crawl in Smash to keep the frames synched, as opposed to dropping frames when lag spikes occur like in Mario Kart). As vexing as it might be at times, I'd say it's perfectly understandable for most players to be unaware of the factors that make game X's online look "worse" than game Y's.

I feel like I've been very cordial with him. If someone who is not informed keeps shooting down my explanations, I don't see another way of helping besides playing them and showing them what I am saying.

Well, except that playing against a top player when you're a newbie isn't something you can actually learn anything from. You'd be 2-stocking him for days to prove what? That there isn't that much lag? That Smash is a fighting game? That it's fast? That it's a deep game? Most likely, he'd get frustrated at being unable to lay a finger on you, and might quit the game for good simply because he challenged a competitive-caliber player to an all-out match while he's still trying to get used to the basics of Smash.

Perhaps a ranbats player from one of the lower ladders would be a more appropriate opponent for introducing him to Smash while also giving him a fair challenge.

I've been running into tons of good players today in FG. Just now I was fighting someone who had an impeccable Megaman, really aggressive and methodical, really knew his uppercut. Fantastic Greninja as well, with footstool combos

I have an "Add me?" tag for those kinds of opponents, and many of them tend to do so when I ask. But then it gets harder to arrange stuff since I don't know how in the world the WiiU's message system is supposed to work...

Neki

I only had access to the Mewtwo customs glitch for a day before it was patched out. I was hoping to use it in Crazy Orders a lot more than I was able to. It made it so easy!

Still looking to play.

I can play some Namikaze, I'm ready to rage against the Yoshi.

My friends list has been capped for months. I have to delete folks on here to make room for other folks on here.

Also, one of the things Zamm said is that this game is slow. Playing a top player here will prove that wrong.

JulianImp

My friends list has been capped for months. I have to delete folks on here to make room for other folks on here.

Also, one of the things Zamm said is that this game is slow. Playing a top player here will prove that wrong.

Unless they play camping custom Villager, that is.

Same and it's fucking annoying. Adding people for Splatoon was hell. I really wish Nintendo would up the limit on the friend list...

Top Bottom