• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Beats

I don't know her well, but when you charge it, does the angle change? I also noticed some folks would start it, air dodge cancel, and then it was just a freebie item to hit around in the neutral.

It does, but I find it takes too long to be useful at close to mid-range. Most characters can hit it back pretty easily as well. : <

Oidisco

Ok, I haven't played much in last few days either so I'm gonna be pretty bad I think

Oh this is really laggy, hopefully it gets better.

Oidisco

Yea this lag only seems to be getting worse.

I'm super proud of that 1st stage spike though, can't believe that actually worked!

Yea this lag only seems to be getting worse.

I'm super proud of that 1st stage spike though, can't believe that actually worked!
One of my goals is to be less afraid of trying to stage spike Ness.

It feels like I kill myself every time I try. :p

Though I did play a Lucas in FG, and I gimped him by reflecting his PK Thunder away during his recovery attempt. Felt pretty BA.

Oidisco

One of my goals is to be less afraid of trying to stage spike Ness.

It feels like I kill myself every time I try. :p

Though I did play a Lucas in FG, and I gimped him by reflecting his PK Thunder away during his recovery attempt. Felt pretty BA.

What I really need to do against Ness is do a run-off counter when he's recovering. I've done it a couple times and it feels so good!

Alright good games dude.

Sorry about the lag, I've been having some internet problems that last couple days so it was probably on my end.

GGs Neki. Don't really know how to get out of Rosalina's jab lock. I can't do anything if I am between you, and rolling forward gets me punished. I pretty much have to roll back, and then I am easy to read.

Robiin

Alright good games dude.

Sorry about the lag, I've been having some internet problems that last couple days so it was probably on my end.
Good games man. I was so rusty though, not happy with my performance there! But well fought!

The lag could be on both ends though. I am moving in about a month where I'll set up an ethernet adapter. Been playing on wifi (not really close to the router either) for the last four months, so annoying but I have no other option right now.

Neki

GGs Neki. Don't really know how to get out of Rosalina's jab lock. I can't do anything if I am between you, and rolling forward gets me punished. I pretty much have to roll back, and then I am easy to read.

lol Yoshi and Luigi can nair out of Rosa's jab lock at higher percentages, pretty annoying. :( I think doing jump get up was completely fine, I wasn't punishing it hard. I felt like I did better against Yoshi than Luigi today! :p

Well, except that playing against a top player when you're a newbie isn't something you can actually learn anything from. You'd be 2-stocking him for days to prove what? That there isn't that much lag? That Smash is a fighting game? That it's fast? That it's a deep game? Most likely, he'd get frustrated at being unable to lay a finger on you, and might quit the game for good simply because he challenged a competitive-caliber player to an all-out match while he's still trying to get used to the basics of Smash.

Perhaps a ranbats player from one of the lower ladders would be a more appropriate opponent for introducing him to Smash while also giving him a fair challenge.

Julian, sometimes you need to be direct with people. I was very friendly with him the entire time. He did not have the mentality to say "ok I will join Ranbats" or even "ok I will give it another go". He played 10 games, and came to a conclusion. I nicely explained to him why his opinion of the game was incorrect, and he disagreed. If he quits the game after playing me a few times, then he was never looking to enjoy the game at a competitive level anyways. No need to continue to pat him on the back and try to be as "aww shucks" as possible with him.

lol Yoshi and Luigi can nair out of Rosa's jab lock at higher percentages, pretty annoying. :( I think doing jump get up was completely fine, I wasn't punishing it hard. I felt like I did better against Yoshi than Luigi today! :p
can play now if you are available!

Neki

Julian, sometimes you need to be direct with people. I was very friendly with him the entire time. He did not have the mentality to say "ok I will join Ranbats" or even "ok I will give it another go". He played 10 games, and came to a conclusion. I nicely explained to him why his opinion of the game was incorrect, and he disagreed. If he quits the game after playing me a few times, then he was never looking to enjoy the game at a competitive level anyways. No need to continue to pat him on the back and try to be as "aww shucks" as possible with him.

can play now if you are available!

Yeah sure, you can host, I only got 30 minutes or so before I leave! Let's do this!

I wish they would fix that. Same thing with Mewtwo's Jab2. Especially since Yoshi's Nair KOs Mewtwo at like 130%. -_-

I can only seem to get it out when you are attacking my butt with your jab. If you attack me on the ground, nair doesn't seem to be able to come out. I wasn't punishing your jump get ups at all, despite that being used at least 50% of the time.

I wish they would fix that. Same thing with Mewtwo's Jab2. Especially since Yoshi's Nair KOs Mewtwo at like 130%. -_-

Only if you're at the ledge or off-stage. I have three replays I can send you. I 2-stocked him in the fourth match, but I forgot to save it. I don't think you will really see anything helpful. I just had to adjust to his Mewtwo's play-style, so I did better each match. Of course my stage wasn't picked.

I don't understand when or how this fixation on fighting games being fast came to be. Street Fighter IV certainly isn't that fast. Not every game needs to be the speed of Melee or KoF XIII at the highest level to be a good fighting game, and they shouldn't be.

Is anyone around to play?

I don't understand when or how this fixation on fighting games being fast came to be. Street Fighter IV certainly isn't that fast. Not every game needs to be the speed of Melee or KoF XIII at the highest level to be a good fighting game, and they shouldn't be.

Is anyone around to play?

agreed. You need to have a good balance of speed/reflexes, and understanding the chess match involved

I can only seem to get it out when you are attacking my butt with your jab. If you attack me on the ground, nair doesn't seem to be able to come out. I wasn't punishing your jump get ups at all, despite that being used at least 50% of the time.

Only if you're at the ledge or off-stage. I have three replays I can send you. I 2-stocked him in the fourth match, but I forgot to save it. I don't think you will really see anything helpful. I just had to adjust to his Mewtwo's play-style, so I did better each match. Of course my stage wasn't picked.
Why such a small set? :-(

I will watch them ASAP after you send them. Let me know when it is done.

Why such a small set? :-(

I will watch them ASAP after you send them. Let me know when it is done.

Read the SmashBoards thread. The guy got mad and said it was because he is tired. He also resorted to calling me an FG Yoshi. I really wish I could fight Yoshis of my level on FG. That way I might actually have some usable experience when I fight Yoshi.

Will send now.

Edit: Sent.

Anyone want to play?

Read the SmashBoards thread. The guy got mad and said it was because he is tired. He also resorted to calling me an FG Yoshi. I really wish I could fight Yoshi's of my level on FG. That way I might actually have some usable experience when I fight Yoshi.

Will send now.
LOL. I just read it before seeing this post. Damn, Raykz is overflowing with salt. Your Yoshi is way better than any FG Yoshi I've faced. Most Yoshis are free because you can dash up and shield their Fair and punish, but you usually make smart decisions. I hope you play him again tomorrow so you can help him understand the truth of this situation, hahaha.

That said, I feel like I might have some new stuff that will make Yoshi more manageable. Next time we play, give me a long set with Yoshi until I ragequit. :p

I can play in a couple minutes.

Alright.

LOL. I just read it before seeing this post. Damn, Raykz is overflowing with salt. Your Yoshi is way better than any FG Yoshi I've faced. Most Yoshis are free because you can dash up and shield their Fair and punish, but you usually make smart decisions. I hope you play him again tomorrow so you can help him understand the truth of this situation, hahaha.

That said, I feel like I might have some new stuff that will make Yoshi more manageable. Next time we play, give me a long set with Yoshi until I ragequit. :p

We also weren't playing with customs, so it was even more different from fighting you.

I don't think I have enough time to wait for you to rage quit. How many hours is that?

It's amazing what people call others when they lose to someone better.

I've been called a spammer even though I shot 5 fireballs the whole match...

I've also been called a cheater because I 2 stocked some guy in FG when he was using shiek against my zelda. Just cause some char is high tier doesn't automatically make it a win against a low tier...

Alright.

We also weren't playing with customs, so it was even more different from fighting you.

I don't think I have enough time to wait for you to rage quit. How many hours is that?
I kind of want to play you now. :p

Which custom(s) do you use against me?

It's amazing what people call others when they lose to someone better.

I've been called a spammer even though I shot 5 fireballs the whole match...

I've also been called a cheater because I 2 stocked some guy in FG when he was using shiek against my zelda. Just cause some char is high tier doesn't automatically make it a win against a low tier...
Some guy called me a spammer and a camper just because I killed him with nothing but Shadow Ball. ;-)

I kind of want to play you now. :p

Which custom(s) do you use against me?

Some guy called me a spammer and a camper just because I killed him with nothing but Shadow Ball. ;-)

Egg Launch. Yoshi's only good custom unless I want to be the grandmaster of reads and use the stronger down-B.

I can't just abandon Snacks.

Puruzi

Banned
Whenever I fight some asshole on for glory who changes their name to insult me I just change my name to "Leave then"

They either immediately leave or try to use my character against me and get bopped, then leave.

Oidisco

Whenever someone calls me a spammer, I just switch to Samus and actually spam missiles and charge beam. I also make sure to taunt them as much as possible, just to mess with them even more.

I have a little too much fun with it maybe.

Whenever someone calls me a spammer, I just switch to Samus and actually spam missiles and charge beam. I also make sure to taunt them as much as possible, just to mess with them even more.

I have a little too much fun with it maybe.

One of these days if someone calls me a scrub I'll just teleport stall the whole match. Feels like trolling those who can't handle the competition sounds like the more fun option these days.

JulianImp

For all of Pac-Man's shortcomings, I love that he's also part of the "in response, I nair" club. Nothing's worse than being trapped knowing that your character has absolutely no way to interrupt jab locks and other combos because all of his or her aerials take too long to start up.

While I agree to some degree, I think one of our problems is that it's hard to approach our community since we're often engaging in in-talk (for example, discussing our matches as we go), so outsiders get treated to a bunch of people discussing things they have no way to understand, and that's not even counting newbies who know nothing of DI, SHADC, pivots or even the basic Smash abbreviations such as "dtilt" or "SHFFfair". Of course people who are overly negative and dismissive of the community might be bad people to have around, but it might also be the case that the game just hasn't clicked for them yet. Offering them to play a match that is downright impossible for them to win and will most likely just end up frustrating them (even though you might mess up and SD twice somehow) isn't likely to make them see the game in a more positive light.

Still, I won't say someone who comes into the thread to complain about the game and left shortly afterwards is in a good position, and I agree that trying to educate someone who comes in saying "Smash sucks, man" might be an uphill battle, and maybe even downright futile if they show no signs of allowing any interpretation other than their own.

Now, let's get back to smashing!

Read the SmashBoards thread. The guy got mad and said it was because he is tired. He also resorted to calling me an FG Yoshi. I really wish I could fight Yoshis of my level on FG. That way I might actually have some usable experience when I fight Yoshi.

Will send now.

Edit: Sent.

Anyone want to play?

Can I get those replays as well? I'd love to see how you adapted to his playing habits over time.

@ spam debate: Whenever someone says I spam, I like going Duck Hunt and spamming projectiles for days.

Think I've had enough pk fires for a life time, gg Shamrock.

Neki, if I have to, I would spam 100,000 pk fires per match if it meant beating Rosalina ;). I put her and Sonic in the "Brawl Metaknight" category of, "no gamesmanship, do what it takes to beat the bullshit", lol.

Neki

Neki, if I have to, I would shoot 100,000 pk fires per match if it meant beating Rosalina ;). I put her and Sonic in the "Brawl Metaknight" category of, "no gamesmanship, do what it takes to beat the bullshit", lol.

Rosa doesn't deserve to be lumped with those two. She doesn't even dominate the meta like Sheik does. :p I respect that, but it does get tiring hearing pk fire every 2 seconds.

Jawmuncher

Didn't want to make a thread so figured I'd ask here.

My smash disc refuses to work. I get an error on it despite it looking brand new, I see absolutely no scratches on it. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's the only game that I own which doesn't work, and it was fine the other day.

I have tried keeping the WiiU powered off. Deleting and redownloading the smash update. Cleaning the disc again, all to no avail.

Rosa doesn't deserve to be lumped with those two. She doesn't even dominate the meta like Sheik does. :p I respect that, but it does get tiring hearing pk fire every 2 seconds.

I think that's part of it. I think the average Ness/Lucas player doesn't even throw as many pk fires as say a Mario player throws fireballs. It's the annoying "Pk Fire" though that gets people annoyed with it fairly quickly.

Maybe overall you can say Rosa doesn't belong in that category (which I disagree), but as a Ness main, absolutely whatever it takes to win, lol.

Didn't want to make a thread so figured I'd ask here.

My smash disc refuses to work. I get an error on it despite it looking brand new, I see absolutely no scratches on it. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's the only game that I own which doesn't work, and it was fine the other day.

I have tried keeping the WiiU powered off. Deleting and redownloading the smash update. Cleaning the disc again, all to no avail.

Might be the disc reader itself is dirty/dusty. You can buy a disc reader cleaner at a store, or I know there is some home made methods if you look them up on youtube.

Top Bottom