• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Neki

I'd agree with you Shamrock if Rosalina was as popular as Captain Falcon or had the tournament results like Sheik and Diddy do, but as is, she's an unpopular character played by very few and is still relatively unproven. Brawl Metaknight is on a whole another level, he actually won stuff and people actually played him.

I won't disagree with your Sonic assessment though, let's throw Yoshi in there too while we're at it. :p

I think that's part of it. I think the average Ness/Lucas player doesn't even throw as many pk fires as say a Mario player throws fireballs. It's the annoying "Pk Fire" though that gets people annoyed with it fairly quickly.

Maybe overall you can say Rosa doesn't belong in that category (which I disagree), but as a Ness main, absolutely whatever it takes to win, lol.

you only say that because you're a Ness main and the matchup sucks :p

JulianImp

I think that's part of it. I think the average Ness/Lucas player doesn't even throw as many pk fires as say a Mario player throws fireballs. It's the annoying "Pk Fire" though that gets people annoyed with it fairly quickly.

My dad quickly got tired of hearing Lucas back when I had gotten Brawl, and mondegreene'd it into "treinta y cuatro" because that's what it sounded like to him.

Now I wonder what'd happen if every character called out his/her attacks every time...

A For Glory lesson: Disable does not beat super armor. RIP Mewtwo via Warlock Punch.

I'd rather there be landing lag with dair, and greater risk with his b special
The neutral B? It is pretty vulnerable on reaction. Both Mewtwo and Bowser can usmash. Spot dodge beats it and gives a good punish.

He only has lagless dair off of a very specific height, and it doesn't really do anything. I don't find it to be as much of a problem as him being able to punish a whiffed tilt from half a screen away.

Nerf the forward smash to oblivion.
This shouldn't hit often. :p

JulianImp

Dair already has crazy recovery time, it's just that Sonic can use it from high above the ground to speed up his fall, but it has awful landing lag if you mis-space it.

Nerfing fsmash after already having nerfed usmash and bthrow would be overkill, IMO.

Making Sonic slower would be lame, and I can't think up of a way that'd allow them to nerf his spin dashes without neutering them altogether.

Homing Attack could get a slight nerf if they'd shorten the time window where Sonic can press B again to have the attack happen slightly earlier than usual, since that'd make the attack's timing way easier to predict while preventing Sonic from attacking too quickly with it.

TrueBlue

As someone who mains Sonic, I find it hard to believe that things like his Down-Air and Forward-Smash really give anyone that much trouble. Hell, his Homing Attack is pretty liable to punishment if the player reacts accordingly.

This shouldn't hit often. :p

It looks like it shouldn't hit, but its range seems to be extremely large. It also seems to be impossible to punish with its low end lag.

I'm exhausted suddenly, so that will have to be it

Good
game

GGs. That Ganondorf 0% to death was all skill on my part :p

shield, lol

So he is saying shielding beats Pikachu?

Just checked his YT channel and he has a how to fight Rosalina video. I should watch that.

Just checked his YT channel and he has a how to fight Rosalina video. I should watch that.

In the last tourney, Esam, one of the best Pikas, could rack up damage but just could not kill Zero because he has no real kill moves out of throw. Essentially, Zero shielded everything and countered. If he happened to get grabbed, it wasn't that bad.

As someone who mains Sonic, I find it hard to believe that things like his Down-Air and Forward-Smash really give anyone that much trouble. Hell, his Homing Attack is pretty liable to punishment if the player reacts accordingly.

Not every character can counter homing. It's more I think that all his moves are incredibly too safe. Sonic is probably one of the, if not the safest character in the game, against most matchups.

I am pretty ok with Rosalina.

How would Sonic players feel about a run speed decrease?
I feel like it would make him a bit worse, but wouldn't hurt him too much. The people complaining about the dair landing lag should go and see how it was in Brawl as we were able to do it at an even lower angle and have no lag.

I do think his Fsmash is stupid, but I love catching people with it, haha.

Really?
A forward smash that's safe on block, has deceptive range, can be angled, and KO's easily. If you find it hard to believe people have trouble with it then you must not be using it very much.

Really?
A forward smash that's safe on block, has deceptive range, can be angled, and KO's easily. If you find it hard to believe people have trouble with it then you must not be using it very much.

Yeah... I cannot be the only one that has trouble with it. It is probably the #1 way I die to Sonic. Even Cyberman, one of the best Sonic players here, just said its stupid.

Yeah... I cannot be the only one that has trouble with it. It is probably the #1 way I die to Sonic. Even Cyberman, one of the best Sonic players here, just said its stupid.

Like most of Sonic's moves, it's incredibly fast and safe. Part of the reason people get caught by it is they eventually start pressing against a Sonic player. This may be generalizing, but I have yet to meet a Sonic player that has no problem playing 7+ minute or to time matches over and over, lol. So Sonic's main strength is safe hit and runs. That frustrates nearly everyone, so the opponent ends up doing unsafe approaches to get something going, and bam, fsmash.

TrueBlue

Really?

Not every character can counter homing. It's more I think that all his moves are incredibly too safe. Sonic is probably one of the, if not the safest character in the game, against most matchups.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not that good? :p

In all seriousness, I don't tend to throw out FSmash as much as I used to, so maybe I simply haven't noticed its effectiveness as much as others. Even so, I think the nerfs to his Up Smash and Back Throw help to balance things up slightly, at least in regard to his killing moves.

TrueBlue

Like most of Sonic's moves, it's incredibly fast and safe. Part of the reason people get caught by it is they eventually start pressing against a Sonic player. This may be generalizing, but I have yet to meet a Sonic player that has no problem playing 7+ minute or to time matches over and over, lol. So Sonic's main strength is safe hit and runs. That frustrates nearly everyone, so the opponent ends up doing unsafe approaches to get something going, and bam, fsmash.

I've noticed that most of my defeats as Sonic come from opponents who are generally more careful with their approach and exercise caution when on the defensive.

Yeah, I have never gone to time from someone on NeoGAF in a 1v1, but I have gotten quite close. It is even worse with Luigi when I can't punish anything I shield. Makes Sonic even safer.

Puruzi

Banned
Accidentally picked my palutena set for Trophy Rush, which is just Heavenly Light.

Whoops. Neat that I won tho, default Palu is p viable

RomanceDawn

Anime Expo just went on this past weekend and since my China trip got delayed I went and joined in on the Smash tournament. There were over 120 people and for the most part things were cool.

I made it to round 4 before I lost 2-1. Dudes Mario was pretty good, not the best I played but a worthy challenge. He took DK out fairly easily so I went with Bowser for the win. The last game was so close I thought I had it. I was worried about over shooting the ledge and getting punished so I didn't press UpB enough and just fell to my death. The cool thing was just gaining that respect. People kept wanting to play my DK, Bowser and Charizard. Half the time I could only think about how I get wrecked by some of you here. I will say though it was really cold in the game hall and my thumb tips were numb half the time. I felt like that definitely affected my play, it was that feeling of just waking up every morning and not being nimble with my fingers, only all day.

I was very surprised with the Falco players I met and how they handled the character. There were 2 amazing Peach players as well, 1 almost beat me in round 3. Beyond that no one really surprised me with their use of characters or who they used. My brother who goes by Chazo went on to win, he's a Dedede, Pac Man and Duck Hunt player.

One thing though, sometimes I just want to slap the ship out of some of these people. God some people just have no social skills and it's so hard for me to even want to visit these things. Sometimes I just want to have a nice conversation about Smash, the mechanics, Ridley, etc and while more people than I could count know the game inside and out way better than I do, giving me great insight, it's just the most unpleasant thing to talk to them. Am I bad?

Oh and talking about Ridley in person with people has always been a pleasant experience. Without the anonymity of the internet people stay pretty civilized when they discuss it with me.

RomanceDawn

What a good donkey you are Romance! I still have a lot to learn. :)

Thanks but it was nothing compared to what I could have done. Are you on a wired connection or wireless? There are some great cheap wireless routers to be found that work great for me.

1vs1 anyone?

Top Bottom