• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

What a frustrating conclusion. I was mashing the hell out of air dodge there. GGs.

What the hell am I supposed to do after a grab? It feels like you get true combos off of a grab release, which would be major bullshit.

RomanceDawn

Yeah we already had each other added, don't think we'd played before this though.

Dude you're bowser is scary! Man you are good at pivot grabbing too!

Lots of good games, I count that last one as your win. You certainly outplayed me and I can only guess your fingers slipped at the end there.

Cronox

Banned
Good games Romancedawn. Some embarassing SDs on my part. In one of our first matches I managed to SD in a way I've never SD'd on Battlefield. You'd think I'd have found all the ways already.

The last time I played a competent Charizard (Boney if you're reading this, you never really used Charizard against me) was the very first ranbats and it shows. I don't think I've ever played a good DK without customs.

Lots of good games, I count that last one as your win. You certainly outplayed me and I can only guess your fingers slipped at the end there.

Typical "jump off the edge and accidentally use my second jump, figure out what happened too late and SD."

Thanks for playing three more, Nami. We will play another set when we are both fully awake. Feedback is appreciated.

I feel like there is a hole in your egg offense that I poke through sometimes, but I am not sure if they are moments of insight that I need to capitalize on more, or of you just make mistakes in your spacing. Let me know?

RomanceDawn

Good games Romancedawn. Some embarassing SDs on my part. In one of our first matches I managed to SD in a way I've never SD'd on Battlefield. You'd think I'd have found all the ways already.

The last time I played a competent Charizard was the very first ranbats and it shows. I don't think I've ever played a good DK without customs.

Typical "jump off the edge and accidentally use my second jump, figure out what happened too late and SD."

I don't particularly like customs and as cool as that whirl wind is I think it's just way too unfair. I don't need to win that badly, lol.

What a frustrating conclusion. I was mashing the hell out of air dodge there. GGs.

What the hell am I supposed to do after a grab? It feels like you get true combos off of a grab release, which would be major bullshit.

GGs. I don't know what happened if you were mashing air dodge. To me it looked like you did nothing.

The best option Yoshi has after a grab is usually a release, unless you are by the ledge. None of the throws gives anything guaranteed at any %. For the release, a lot of characters are able to shield right away afterwards. I am pretty sure the guy on SmashBoards shielded right away. Did you ever try that? If I was good at it, I could've jab 1 to a smash. I pretty much just started trying that today. I am sure you noticed, but that was the first time I practiced the ledge trump with down-B. Kinda hard to do, and an egg roll is a bad mistake that can happen.

Overall, I believe I was playing terribly, and even worse as the games went on. There is also a huge difference between you and the guy on SmashBoards. You are so much better, and I have no idea how to beat nair. Maybe I will skip Smash for the rest of today.

Thanks for playing three more, Nami. We will play another set when we are both fully awake. Feedback is appreciated.

I feel like there is a hole in your egg offense that I poke through sometimes, but I am not sure if they are moments of insight that I need to capitalize on more, or of you just make mistakes in your spacing. Let me know?

If you are mid to close range than you are able to get me from the end lag. I really shouldn't be throwing my eggs out at that range, but hey, just another mistake on the gigantic pile.

I don't really think you were playing different from when we last played. Everything seemed familiar. Maybe you were a bit more offensive? I don't really know.

GGs. I don't know what happened if you were mashing air dodge. To me it looked like you did nothing.

The best option Yoshi has after a grab is usually a release, unless you are by the ledge. None of the throws gives anything guaranteed at any %. For the release, a lot of characters are able to shield right away afterwards. I am pretty sure the guy on SmashBoards shielded right away. Did you ever try that? If I was good at it, I could've jab 1 to a smash. I pretty much just started trying that today. I am sure you noticed, but that was the first time I practiced the ledge trump with down-B. Kinda hard to do, and an egg roll is a bad mistake that can happen.

Overall, I believe I was playing terribly, and even worse as the games went on. There is also a huge difference between you and the guy on SmashBoards. You are so much better, and I have no idea how to beat nair. Maybe I will skip Smash for the rest of today.
After the last patch, Nair is now pretty safe if Mewtwo spaces it properly. The only real answer is throwing out a bigger aerial or anti-airing. It definitely isn't easy to handle. Be glad you aren't a Bowser main. He can get juggled by like 4 Nairs in a row. Slow runners that are tall, like Dorf, Zelda, and Robin, just have to eat them over and over.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been working really hard on him, and I have been working to deal with your grab game, which I have been pretty free to in the past.

I thought I was holding shield every time, but maybe my directional mashing is getting in the way. I will just hold shield patiently next time and see what happens. I noticed I dodged away one time, but I don't know if that was you being slow.

I noticed you trying to incorporate jabs into smashes more. Good to see that. Down B ledge trumps are amazing, but stressful. I go for them with Bowser a lot these days. You could try TKing a HCB motion, also. I am horrible at doing that, though. :( I never find the spacing for the fall.

Also, I was still plenty salty throughout that set. :p

Edit: yeah, it turns out that Yoshi is too fast for my new stuff. Against slower characters I have a pretty mean keep away game these days. He fits in with Falcon and Sonic in the list of characters that I have to Nair through a lot as my only safe offense.

Overall, the matches were just closer than usual. I don't think there were any where you won and had a lot of health left. Pretty much everything ended in the red.

Good night, and thanks for always helping me.

I wanna play more Smash tournaments, but entry fees add up when you're saving for other stuff. ><;;;

I also wanna play you guys more, you're all great players who have taught me many things about matchups I wouldn't know otherwise. Thanks guys. :)

But for real though I wanna go back to playing Fox because it feels like a million years since I went all in with space animals

After the last patch, Nair is now pretty safe if Mewtwo spaces it properly. The only real answer is throwing out a bigger aerial or anti-airing. It definitely isn't easy to handle. Be glad you aren't a Bowser main. He can get juggled by like 4 Nairs in a row. Slow runners that are tall, like Dorf, Zelda, and Robin, just have to eat them over and over.

Thanks for the compliment. I have been working really hard on him, and I have been working to deal with your grab game, which I have been pretty free to in the past.

I thought I was holding shield every time, but maybe my directional mashing is getting in the way. I will just hold shield patiently next time and see what happens. I noticed I dodged away one time, but I don't know if that was you being slow.

I noticed you trying to incorporate jabs into smashes more. Good to see that. Down B ledge trumps are amazing, but stressful. I go for them with Bowser a lot these days. You could try TKing a HCB motion, also. I am horrible at doing that, though. :( I never find the spacing for the fall.

Also, I was still plenty salty throughout that set. :p

Edit: yeah, it turns out that Yoshi is too fast for my new stuff. Against slower characters I have a pretty mean keep away game these days. He fits in with Falcon and Sonic in the list of characters that I have to Nair through a lot as my only safe offense.

Overall, the matches were just closer than usual. I don't think there were any where you won and had a lot of health left. Pretty much everything ended in the red.

Good night, and thanks for always helping me.

That explains all the dash attacks and grabs that I thought used to work. I guess nowI can't punish nair unless you land right beside me.

When I messed up the next action after the grab release, it was just me being slow. I was trying to experiment and I just got confused on what to do and just stood there for a little.

I don't know what TKing is, and HCB I assume is half-circle B. To do the trump, I was just running off-stage and doing a QCB motion in the direction of the stage. Someone on SmashBoards said to just hold diagonal, but if I don't hit the diagonal exactly, I die or go into an egg. I don't know how useful it is at the height was trying it at, but I have gotten kills from getting to the ledge with down-B before.

I didn't really see much salt worthy stuff. I got one or two meteor smashes. I guess maybe the down-B out of Egg Lay kill.

I guess I will have to see what you can do to my Luigi. I already have a hard enough time with him vs. Mewtwo as it is.

Yeah, no 2-stocks or anything big this time. I seemed to always end with at least 70%. Maybe the match-up isn't as bad as you think. But more likely just an off day for me.

TrueBlue

I hate For Glory's time limit sometimes.

I mean, you know it's bad when someone labels themselves "SD" and uses their Sonic to run away for the last minute to force an SD and then sneak the win.

Am I salty? Yeah, the guy was a dick afterwards. I dunno, it's just really frustrating and un-fun. :/

TrueBlue

Ryu is definitely a new main. Damn, so satisfying to pull off.

He is very fun to use, though the fact I suck at some of the SF inputs means I can't get as much out of him as I'd like.

Also gotta say how impressed I am with how they handled Roy. A great example of a "clone" done right I'm.

Ryu is definitely a new main. Damn, so satisfying to pull off.
Great! We need a Ryu around here

I hate For Glory's time limit sometimes.

I mean, you know it's bad when someone labels themselves "SD" and uses their Sonic to run away for the last minute to force an SD and then sneak the win.

Am I salty? Yeah, the guy was a dick afterwards. I dunno, it's just really frustrating and un-fun. :/
Better to play folks here. :)

That explains all the dash attacks and grabs that I thought used to work. I guess nowI can't punish nair unless you land right beside me.

When I messed up the next action after the grab release, it was just me being slow. I was trying to experiment and I just got confused on what to do and just stood there for a little.

I don't know what TKing is, and HCB I assume is half-circle B. To do the trump, I was just running off-stage and doing a QCB motion in the direction of the stage. Someone on SmashBoards said to just hold diagonal, but if I don't hit the diagonal exactly, I die or go into an egg. I don't know how useful it is at the height was trying it at, but I have gotten kills from getting to the ledge with down-B before.

I didn't really see much salt worthy stuff. I got one or two meteor smashes. I guess maybe the down-B out of Egg Lay kill.

I guess I will have to see what you can do to my Luigi. I already have a hard enough time with him vs. Mewtwo as it is.

Yeah, no 2-stocks or anything big this time. I seemed to always end with at least 70%. Maybe the match-up isn't as bad as you think. But more likely just an off day for me.
I have been going for a more evasive playstyle with Mewtwo. I am not sure if it was noticeable vs. Yoshi. We will play again soon to better understand the matchup. Salt was there, but mostly not Yoshi-specific. Just stuff like the time you charged Usmash next to me and happened to let go during the 4 frames of vulnerability in my dodge. -_-

If you are ledge snapping while running off, don't use down B. Just do the HCB to TK. Forward to down to back to up-back.

Nowl = ?

JulianImp

Teehee

Yeah nair is ok but wont knock center stage until 160 or so

Just like everything Pac-Man does, you know. My only early KO options are smash attacks, and landing them requires one hell of a read or a bell hit.

Edit: Looks like crazy cherries are great for breaking my hydrants in a single hit.

Boney

Banned
I gotta head out, great games though

I feel that maybe you should be using the key a lot more. Does a lot of knockback as has a very heavy psychological advantage, just like the charge shot does. How much shield damage does it do?

Boney

Banned
Even though you eventually read me like a book... I've got to find a way to shift my tactics around to avoid walking into psychic smash attacks, since I just.kept.getting.hit. Good games!
Jumpin ins against zard are gonna be dangerous because it'll trade favorably and worst case scenario there's nothing you can do to really punish me

JulianImp

Jumpin ins against zard are gonna be dangerous because it'll trade favorably and worst case scenario there's nothing you can do to really punish me
Yeah, but there isn't much I can do outside harassing you with fruits while retreating, and I won't get any kills that way unless I go for apples or you give me enough time to charge a key/bell up. Aerials are my only way of actually launching you and setting up fruit charges or hydrants if you aren't a good boy and walk into my smash attacks.

Also, god damn it grab. Sometimes it lingered long enough to let me grab you out of a spot dodge, but many times I saw the tractor lines touching your character but no, no grab. Sakurai, fix pls.

Boney

Banned
I was surprised at how effective it is at punishing spot dodges lol.

The problems were off stage jump ins from the edge, you're not left with many options once you decide to go in, so I can get a pivot fsmash to distance myself from the landing spot and abuse the range.

It's pretty crazy how PAC man can get two aerials out of a short hop and not have any landing lag. Das nuts

Do you guys think every character has some issues that just suck? I know that all of the following characters have at least one stupid decision that makes them frustrating to play at times:
Pac-man
Bowser
Mewtwo
Greninja

I mean something like a hitbox that doesn't hit like it looks like it should, a unique setback, etc.

JulianImp

I was surprised at how effective it is at punishing spot dodges lol.

The problems were off stage jump ins from the edge, you're not left with many options once you decide to go in, so I can get a pivot fsmash to distance myself from the landing spot and abuse the range.

It's pretty crazy how PAC man can get two aerials out of a short hop and not have any landing lag. Das nuts

He can combo and rack damage up alright, but his lack of KO options really sets him back. Das nuts is Sheik, who can combo lag-free and has several kill moves at her disposal. Not the guy who absolutely can't KO before 100% barring incredible reads or setups.

Thulius

Do you guys think every character has some issues that just suck? I know that all of the following characters have at least one stupid decision that makes them frustrating to play at times:
Pac-man
Bowser
Mewtwo
Greninja

I mean something like a hitbox that doesn't hit like it looks like it should, a unique setback, etc.

After the Ftilt buff I honestly have no issuess with Greninja. Lucario, Charizard and Falco feel really solid in 1.08 too, can't think of anything I'd change off the top of my head. Only changes I'd make to Pikachu are nerfs...

Aside from Mewtwo I'm pretty happy with all the characters I play right now, and even Mewtwo only has major issues in specific matchups.

After the Ftilt buff I honestly have no issuess with Greninja. Lucario, Charizard and Falco feel really solid in 1.08 too, can't think of anything I'd change off the top of my head. Only changes I'd make to Pikachu are nerfs...

Aside from Mewtwo I'm pretty happy with all the characters I play right now, and even Mewtwo only has major issues in specific matchups.
I don't necessarily mean balance issues, but random decisions that are annoying. For example, Up-Left + B with Greninja gives you Shadow Sneak, but with every other character on the roster it would produce an angled Hydro Pump.

I don't necessarily mean balance issues, but random decisions that are annoying. For example, Up-Left + B with Greninja gives you Shadow Sneak, but with every other character on the roster it would produce an angled Hydro Pump.

Ness and Lucas, when using pk2, randomly bounces off the ledge even if they hit it perfectly to latch on.

1v1 anyone

JulianImp

If I had to choose a list of potential buffs for Pac-Man for the next patch, it'd be at least some of the following (but not all of them, of course):
  • Dair now combos into itself
  • Reduced dair landing lag
  • Dair damage changed from 1>1>1>6 to 2>1.5>1.5>5
  • Dtilt cooldown reduced
  • Fthrow knockback increased
  • Fthrow post-throw animation sped up (so Pac-Man can act earlier after throwing)
  • Dthrow knockback keeps opponents closer to Pac-Man (not a combo throw, but less off a tech-chasing one than what it is like now)
  • Grab deadzone right next to Pac-Man fixed
  • Grab boxes now properly overlap with the grab graphics, including range and duration (longest grab ever, I guess)
  • Dsmash given more active frames, with a new late hitbox that knocks opponents upwards for combos (so it could be an OK-ish move for catching landings)
  • Trampoline-through-level glitch removed

Thulius

Oh, yeah that was awful on 3ds but it's not really an issue with a gamecube controller. I imagine it still sucks for people playing on pro controller or gamepad. Definitely the one change I'd make.

Ness and Lucas, when using pk2, randomly bounces off the ledge even if they hit it perfectly to latch on.

1v1 anyone

Pretty sure this is an issue with every character that can manually angle their up-B. I know for a fact it happens to Greninja, Mewtwo, Lucario and Pikachu. It's a height issue and it's most obvious when you recover straight horizontally. There's a weird dead zone on most (all?) ledges where you just won't snap. Would be nice if they fixed it.

Pac-man
Bowser
Mewtwo
Greninja

Stupid Zelda and her Din's fire putting you into a freefall if you use it. So many times I died when I wanted a teleport instead of a fireball.

Oh, yeah that was awful on 3ds but it's not really an issue with a gamecube controller. I imagine it still sucks for people playing on pro controller or gamepad. Definitely the one change I'd make.

Pretty sure this is an issue with every character that can manually angle their up-B. I know for a fact it happens to Greninja, Mewtwo, Lucario and Pikachu. It's a height issue and it's most obvious when you recover straight horizontally. There's a weird dead zone on most (all?) ledges where you just won't snap. Would be nice if they fixed it.

It was also a problem in Brawl

JulianImp

Stupid Zelda and her Din's fire putting you into a freefall if you use it. So many times I died when I wanted a teleport instead of a fireball.

I agree. It isn't like Giant Punch, Din's Fire or PK Flash/Freeze are even slightly OP when used in midair, so going into special fall after using them makes no sense to me.

Boney

Banned
I'm up for some more games if anyone is interested

Din's fire would be great if it could be used while returning the stage. No idea why it goes freefall

Top Bottom