• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

GGs, Karsticles. I would say I did better with Yoshi this time. Maybe I did better because I didn't go for as many Egg Lays? I am sure that is at least part of the reason. Lots of powershield practice when I was using Luigi and Sheik. Luigi definitely did better, but you acted like a level 9 CPU at some points against him :p

SMASHGAF RANBATS:
This summer has been pretty busy for me, and I am sure it has been for you, as well. As such, I'm pushing the final due date for all matches to be completed to July 26th.

------------------------------

GGs Nami. Looks like I am improving on the Yoshi matchup. Still don't have a firm grasp on Luigi. Hate that fucker's roll spam. The number of times I died trying to gimp you because your down B traded is ridiculous. That move needs a serious priority nerf.

The only thing I can't handle with Yoshi now is the eggs. Please advise.

Also, you got a glimpse of the new style I have been working on. Lots of aerial maneuvering for Shadow Ball. I am still working on it, but I am confident that it wins a lot of Matchups, and no one else is doing it.

GGs Nami. Looks like I am improving on the Yoshi matchup. Still don't have a firm grasp on Luigi. Hate that fucker's roll spam. The number of times I died trying to gimp you because your down B traded is ridiculous. That move needs a serious priority nerf.

The only thing I can't handle with Yoshi now is the eggs. Please advise.

I only roll spam with Luigi against you. Seems to be one of the only options I have against Shadow Ball that actually allows me to deal damage. Down-B also seemed to be the only move that allowed me to edge guard you. You just have to mix up whether you are vertically or horizontally recovering. You pretty much always go for the vertical down low recovery but I can't usually get you down there, but down-B allows me to put a wall in your way.

You seem to handle eggs fine. I didn't get any kill set-ups off of them. You can't really do anything against them if you stay on the other side of the stage charging Shadow Ball. You can jump, AD, and reflect, but that doesn't really stop me from throwing more. To stop me from throwing them, you just need to keep me at mid-range or closer. That way if they are reflected they can hit me, and the lag on them allows you to punish with a dash attack.

My biggest problem against Mewtwo with Yoshi is his nair. Jumping back can sometimes work, but the move seems to come out so quick, and really isn't punishable unless you land on me. I take so much damage from nair and its follow-ups.

Also, you got a glimpse of the new style I have been working on. Lots of aerial maneuvering for Shadow Ball. I am still working on it, but I am confident that it wins a lot of Matchups, and no one else is doing it.

Was this what you were doing when I played Sheik?

Oidisco

I just started looking into jab-lock setups with Marth, and just found out that the change to Marth's Jab1 means it can't lock anymore. Why do you do this to me Sakurai!

I just played about 20 matches against the best non-ZeRo Sheik I have ever seen. Goddamn. Went by t0mmy, and I think I won 3 out of that set. No hope at all for Mewtwo in that matchup, lol. I now understand why people complain about Sheilk's up B. Total BS.

Oidisco

I just played about 20 matches against the best non-ZeRo Sheik I have ever seen. Goddamn. Went by t0mmy, and I think I won 3 out of that set. No hope at all for Mewtwo in that matchup, lol. I now understand why people complain about Sheilk's up B. Total BS.

Yea, her up-b is stupid. The little hitbox at the end messes me up every single time so I can never punish it. It's just one of many stupid things she has going for her

t0mmy was the Pichu main from Melee that everybody knew, if that means anything. :p

Yea, her up-b is stupid. The little hitbox at the end messes me up every single time so I can never punish it. It's just one of many stupid things she has going for her
That seems okay to me, but the invincibility on startup is insane. I went to Nair gimp Sheik so many times and died because it must be invincible crazy early on...

t0mmy was the Pichu main from Melee that everybody knew, if that means anything. :p
Does it mean something? This guy was nuts, though. He had Sheik combos I didn't even know existed. I played him for 20 matches because he was crazy good, and because he didn't camp and spam needles. I pretty much stopped using Shadow Ball after a while. :p

Edit: I did get one Dair spike on the 1 frame of vulnerability before Sheik grabs the ledge. Felt like a boss. Still lost. :-(

I don't know if Sheik is vulnerable at any point during her up b other than the 1 frame of ledge vulnerability. And it has no landing lag. And it has a hitbox that KO's. And a hitbox on reappearing. Completely bananas.

Anyone looking to play?

I don't know if Sheik is vulnerable at any point during her up b other than the 1 frame of ledge vulnerability. And it has no landing lag. And it has a hitbox that KO's. And a hitbox on reappearing. Completely bananas.

Anyone looking to play?
Nah, it has some landing lag. I got a few dash attacks off on it.

Smash Boards says she's intangible on frame 19, but that still seems late for my experience.

Oidisco

Anyone looking to play?

I'll play for a little while. My wrists are kinda messed up today so I probably won't be playing super well

I'll just finish up on For Glory and I'll be ready then

Thulius

Nah, it has some landing lag. I got a few dash attacks off on it.

Smash Boards says she's intangible on frame 19, but that still seems late for my experience.

There are certain heights/angles where it has no landing lag for some reason. Doing one diagonally upwards from the ground, for example. From playing her a bit there's definitely decent startup before the invincibility (19f sounds a bit long though, can't say for sure) but there's so little animation associated with it that it's pretty much impossible to tell from the other end.

And yeah, that matchup should be nearly unwinnable for Mewtwo. If he didn't have a kill throw it'd be 10-0, easy.

It doesn't have landing lag if you land diagonally with it. Cancel the landing lag.

There are certain heights/angles where it has no landing lag for some reason. Doing one diagonally upwards from the ground, for example. From playing her a bit there's definitely decent startup before the invincibility (19f sounds a bit long though, can't say for sure) but there's so little animation associated with it that it's pretty much impossible to tell from the other end.

And yeah, that matchup should be nearly unwinnable for Mewtwo. If he didn't have a kill throw it'd be 10-0, easy.
Ah, thanks. Never played a skilled Sheik before, so I was doing a lot of learning.

#1 Mewtwo strategy: run around and randomly Nair.

That's...all I got in that matchup.

SMASHGAF RANBATS:
This summer has been pretty busy for me, and I am sure it has been for you, as well. As such, I'm pushing the final due date for all matches to be completed to July 26th.

Nabster92

On the subject of SmashGAF tournament performance, if CEO is a major, I think we have a few people here who could get top 32. Top 8 is questionable. We have a real life example - our own Poltergust (hi if you're reading this!) who is a terrific Yoshi and destroyed me utterly when I played him, got 17th at CEO. Now who here can beat Poltergust? He was undefeated in our season 1 ranbats, season 2 has some weird win/loss reporting because I think he dropped out. There are probably a couple others on his level here, maybe Shamrock and Nabster being the closest
(personal call-outs yo!)
. So like I said, a few that could do top 32 (and maybe one or two more) given that they don't get put in a stacked pool, or run into their character's worst matchup etc. I mean, MVD did great at CEO, but if he had run into Dabuz earlier he might not have made top 8. He had no answers for Rosalina. Neither did Larry Lurr. Or Shaky.

So I think Karsticles is being a wee bit optimistic about us. Many of us are in the 85th percentile or higher of players, that much I don't doubt. But a major is serious stuff. I kind of wish I was living around a small Smash 4 community instead of North California so I could feel like I'm a dominating force, I think my best placing at the NorCal weekly was 17th of 64 or 72. We've got some pretty good players here, and I play terribly in tournaments. And in local play in general, since I'm so internet-trained.

Bit of a late reply since I was out of town for a bit, but maybe I'll start seeing you at some NorCal events soon! Hopefully should be moving there around end of August or so. Also, yea I think my set with Poltergust in ranbats was pretty close. From what I remember, he hit me an absurd amount of times with 1-frame spikes at the ledge, which tilted things in his favor.

Anyone looking to play?

I've definitely managed to spike some Sheik's during their up-b, but I think it's a pretty small window just before the explosion, so you end up getting punished really hard if you go for it and miss.

I'm getting a Wii ethernet adapter. Is there any particular one that I should get? Should I get the official first party one are will the third party ones suffice?

Boney

Banned
Cool news for the ranbats, i always appreciate the the extra week

Doesn't seem worth it. They must have thought Sheik was incredibly weak in 4 player battles for her moves to all be so thoroughly ridiculous.

I think I have time to play now.
Im ready if you wna a try again today

Oh this was ages ago, well anybody else wanna play?
I'm getting a Wii ethernet adapter. Is there any particular one that I should get? Should I get the official first party one are will the third party ones suffice?
Just make sure it's wii compatible and you're good

SMASHGAF RANBATS:

Huh, would you look at that.

I don't regret anything, I feel better playing at my own pace for the time being and the competitive nature of ranbats really works me up and I wanna focus my drive locally for now.

Top Bottom