• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

@toastyToast: Things might feel off to you since the physics for Smash4 have changed a lot compared to Melee's. I'll try to summarize some of the more relevant changes:
  • Ground momentum doesn't translate into air momentum anymore. That means Captain Falcon can no longer do those ridicuously fast knee strikes from a dash, for example
  • L-canceling is out, so it's easier to get punished for using an aerial that has too much landing lag if you aren't careful
  • Dash dancing is a lot more limited in range, making dashes a bigger commitment than before
  • Hitstun doesn't last nearly as long as in Melee, so true combos aren't as common and follow-ups tend to rely more on anticipating your opponent's reactions
  • Air dodges don't stall and can't be directed, but don't put you in a helpless fall state anymore
  • A comeback mechanic dubbed "rage" has been added, which makes characters launch opponents farther the more damage they have accumulated themselves. This means that the longer you take to KO an opponent while racking up their damage, the more likely they are to use that damage against you
  • Many characters' up B moves now auto-snap against ledges, so you don't have to memorize heights to make sure you don't overshoot ledges and get punished for it
  • Re-grabbing a ledge no longer gives you invincibility frames after you do it once, making it way less safe than before
  • If someone's hanging from a ledge and another character gets close, the first character will get flung off of it as the second character grabs onto it

Cronox

Banned

You say this from watching a Japanese tournament, not because CEO and FC Return were both taken by Sheik/G&W teams? They're a pretty strong combination. They may force other teams to play characters to counter the bucket specifically. Unfortunately for Zero and Hungrybox, while Zero could take a shield break, Jigglypuff can't even shield the bucket without dying. Funnily enough, I think customs teams really should have enough of an answer to this already with all the low percent kill moves that they use.

Noooooo not Bowser!
GGs. I picked Bowser so I could give you actual feedback, since I just plain don't know the matchup with Mewtwo, and I was spending most of my time trying to figure it out.

I think the only real issue is that your approach is pretty linear. I was able to break it down and counter it with Bowser pretty easily. I suspect that I would have a similar experience with Mewtwo if I knew what I was doing.

You have made huge improvements since you started. :)

GGs. I picked Bowser so I could give you actual feedback, since I just plain don't know the matchup with Mewtwo, and I was spending most of my time trying to figure it out.

I think the only real issue is that your approach is pretty linear. I was able to break it down and counter it with Bowser pretty easily. I suspect that I would have a similar experience with Mewtwo if I knew what I was doing.

You have made huge improvements since you started. :)

Your Nair was pretty good at countering most of what I was doing, though I think I was figuring it out later on. I've really never played any Bowsers, so the only things I know about him is what I've seen mentioned here when skimming. Which is weird, I've heard some people say that Peach is really good against Bowser, but.... Iunno, I don't see it. Maybe if I was good at Toad (LOL), but oh well, need more practice in general anyway.

Against players around my skill level I feel like I have a few more approaches, some of which is just baiting other approaches. But, I don't feel like those will work on you guys, so I end up focusing on the one that works more often in general. :x

@toastyToast: Things might feel off to you since the physics for Smash4 have changed a lot compared to Melee's. I'll try to summarize some of the more relevant changes:
  • Ground momentum doesn't translate into air momentum anymore. That means Captain Falcon can no longer do those ridicuously fast knee strikes from a dash, for example
  • L-canceling is out, so it's easier to get punished for using an aerial that has too much landing lag if you aren't careful
  • Dash dancing is a lot more limited in range, making dashes a bigger commitment than before
  • Hitstun doesn't last nearly as long as in Melee, so true combos aren't as common and follow-ups tend to rely more on anticipating your opponent's reactions
  • Air dodges don't stall and can't be directed, but don't put you in a helpless fall state anymore
  • A comeback mechanic dubbed "rage" has been added, which makes characters launch opponents farther the more damage they have accumulated themselves. This means that the longer you take to KO an opponent while racking up their damage, the more likely they are to use that damage against you
  • Many characters' up B moves now auto-snap against ledges, so you don't have to memorize heights to make sure you don't overshoot ledges and get punished for it
  • Re-grabbing a ledge no longer gives you invincibility frames after you do it once, making it way less safe than before
  • If someone's hanging from a ledge and another character gets close, the first character will get flung off of it as the second character grabs onto it

Appreciate the info. Online play does sound tempting but there's no hope connecting from Australia now that I think about it.

JulianImp

Appreciate the info. Online play does sound tempting but there's no hope connecting from Australia now that I think about it.

I've been playing both NA and European SmashGAFfers from Argentina without too much lag, so I don't think you should have too many issues playing at least some of us.

md99

Banned
I've never played a Smash Bros game on any format but I was thinking of taking the plunge on the Wii U version.

Maybe one of you folks could tell me this though, what puts me off fighting games are tedious button mashing combos and having to memorise tons of complex special moves which require joypad combinations of up + left + a + r shoulder + down + y + rotate the analogue stick 720 degrees just so you can stick your foot out a bit.

No thanks.

Does Smash Bros follow this formula or is it, for the lack of a better term, a dumbed down fighter?

Ryce

Does Smash Bros follow this formula or is it, for the lack of a better term, a dumbed down fighter?
It's dumbed down. Instead of making circular or zigzag motions with the control stick and pressing one of six buttons in order to perform a special move, you just press the B button while moving the control stick in a single direction. I'd suggest reading this.

I've never played a Smash Bros game on any format but I was thinking of taking the plunge on the Wii U version.

Maybe one of you folks could tell me this though, what puts me off fighting games are tedious button mashing combos and having to memorise tons of complex special moves which require joypad combinations of up + left + a + r shoulder + down + y + rotate the analogue stick 720 degrees just so you can stick your foot out a bit.

No thanks.

Hmmmm. There aren't really "complex combos" per se as in Street Fighter or Tekken. *every* attack in the game is performed by holding a single direction, and pressing a button. The combos are made by following up those attacks with another attack, by following where the enemy goes from your knockback and stun.

That doesn't make it easy to control at a high level though, but you won't spend any time memorizing ten button combo strings.

Beats

I think playing more defensively with ZSS works out better for me. But I dunno if I really like it :x

Good games Snacks.

I think playing more defensively with ZSS works out better for me. But I dunno if I really like it :x

Good games Snacks.

Good games.

Zero Suit's neutral isn't very reliable. All she can really do is shoot paralyzer and hope it hits, and space neutral air (really hard). You pretty much have to learn all of the tricks and juggles she can do or else you're going to end up spamming paralyzer and random dash grabs for all of your damage, like For Glory dummies.

So Bill Trinen uses Yoshi?

They hire some smart people at Nintendo.

So THAT'S why they fired him. It all makes sense now.

hqdefault.jpg

Thulius

No thanks.

Well you're exaggerating pretty hard about what's necessary in traditional fighters so it's hard to read what you actually have a problem with. Are you at all interested in playing competitively?

If not, then yes, basic gameplay is far simpler than most fighters. All attacks are a direction and a button. There are almost no cancels, chains, or anything like that. Go for it.

If you are, well... attacks are still simple to pull off, but movement is where the complexity lies. There's a whole lot to be aware of and basically nothing is set in stone. Combos might seem complicated in other games, but once you land the first hit everything afterwards is guaranteed as long as you do it right. In smash, there are very few "true" combos and even after landing a hit you have to predict and react to what your opponent's doing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Well you're exaggerating pretty hard about what's necessary in traditional fighters so it's hard to read what you actually have a problem with. Are you at all interested in playing competitively?

If not, then yes, basic gameplay is far simpler than most fighters. All attacks are a direction and a button. There are almost no cancels, chains, or anything like that. Go for it.

If you are, well... attacks are still simple to pull off, but movement is where the complexity lies. There's a whole lot to be aware of and basically nothing is set in stone. Combos might seem complicated in other games, but once you land the first hit everything afterwards is guaranteed as long as you do it right. In smash, there are very few "true" combos and even after landing a hit you have to predict and react to what your opponent's doing.

Good explanation. This is my first Smash game (even though I'm 30, just always been a Street Fighter player). I would compare this game to SFII in the sense of there's some fine-timing "combos" but for the most part this game is all spacing and movement and "mind games" than it is about combos and "advanced techniques".

Smash is pretty fighting beginner friendly.

Alright, I need a break. So fucking tired of the huge piece of shit that is Mewtwo. I have lost at least 20 matches today because of how tucked up all of his attacks are. Fuck you, Sakurai, for releasing an incomplete piece of shit character. I literally had a Yoshi DI out of Usmash today. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Beats

Alright, I need a break. So fucking tired of the huge piece of shit that is Mewtwo. I have lost at least 20 matches today because of how tucked up all of his attacks are. Fuck you, Sakurai, for releasing an incomplete piece of shit character. I literally had a Yoshi DI out of Usmash today. FUCK THAT SHIT.

are you getting skullgirls on ps4?

I know it's stupid but I have a question about Ganondorf Up Smash, how to safely approach a player who abuse it ? This move have almost no endlag and has a great range, the opponent can follow directly with a down tilt or a warlock kick. I play Ike and Jigglypuff, so i have some way to stop my opponent to spam these moves (Fair, counter, quickdraw...), but it's not 100% reliable so it becomes just a boring match where I lose only because I take 4 or 5 up smash randomly or win because I didn't take enough. Some idea ?

are you getting skullgirls on ps4?
I don't have time for it right now. My love for the game has dimmed a bit now that I know it is "done". I thought it would keep growing. I also only like one character in the game, really, which makes it hard sometimes. I never worked up the desire to learn Double. She is just an assist. I will get it at some point, though. I am sure it will go on sale in a few months.

I would kill for a character with Painwheel's playstyle in Smash. If only there was a good candidate... -_-

I know it's stupid but I have a question about Ganondorf Up Smash, how to safely approach a player who abuse it ? This move have almost no endlag and has a great range, the opponent can follow directly with a down tilt or a warlock kick. I play Ike and Jigglypuff, so i have some way to stop my opponent to spam these moves (Fair, counter, quickdraw...), but it's not 100% reliable so it becomes just a boring match where I lose only because I take 4 or 5 up smash randomly or win because I didn't take enough. Some idea ?
Run up and roll behind, punish between Usmashes, or power shield the Usmash follow-up and punish.

Run up and roll behind, punish between Usmashes, or power shield the Usmash follow-up and punish.

I already roll up sometimes, It just so slow ganon can F-tilt me, maybe I haven't the right timing.

It's strange, I have played against way better players and didn't have that kind of issues but I'm just stuck against that lol

I already roll up sometimes, It just so slow ganon can F-tilt me, maybe I haven't the right timing.

It's strange, I have played against way better players and didn't have that kind of issues but I'm just stuck against that lol
We all have our demons.

Don't roll up to him, though, roll past him.

JulianImp

Ganondorf can be scary since overcommiting can lead to geting smashed offstage with ease. His up smash allows him to act quickly after the attack animation ends, but the start-up isn't all that fast and it's pretty unlikely that you'll get caught by it out of the blue. Remember that his back is open during the attack (unless you end up hitting his raised leg through improper spacing), and at worst just stay away while 'Dorf does his work-out routine.

My general strategy against hard-hitters is to keep my distance while harassing them with projectiles or anything my character has that allows me to safely pester them from outside their range, and then punishing them whenever they go for anything unsafe (ie: 'Dorf's down B).

...But you just reminded me that a Ganondorf got me with an up tilt a couple days ago, of all things.

Top Bottom