• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Puruzi

Banned
GG's Puruzi. Gotta sleep and wake up in like less than 6 hours though.

Falcon dittos are always a good time. I think that's the first time I've played you where you didn't switch characters every game. Are you actually trying to settle on some characters or did you just like doing the ditto?

Felt like playing the ditto because it's fun to go all out and play offensively for most of the games.
It was totally great how one mistake would fuck either of us up.

Saved some replays of the really cool matches too, Falcon dittos are probably the most fun dittos in the game

Nabster92

Felt like playing the ditto because it's fun to go all out and play offensively for most of the games.
It was totally great how one mistake would fuck either of us up.

Saved some replays of the really cool matches too, Falcon dittos are probably the most fun dittos in the game

Haha yea. I definitely saved that match that had the first stock ending with a falcon punch and the second stock with the knee to tech'd stage spike to up-b away from stage to another knee.

GGs Juni, that Olimar/Alph was giving me issues, specially punishing my rolling back to stage lol

Say what you want about Crescent Slash and how easy it is to sd with it, but I'll be damned if having the only true grab release combo with it at kill percents doesn't feel good.

I'm getting stoked for NW Battlegrounds 2 tomorrow. It'll be the first local tourny I've participated since I moved to Seattle, and the first Smash 4 one I've partook in outside of GAF.

Anyone wanna warm me up?

Anyone still up for a couple of matches before bed?

I'm getting stoked for NW Battlegrounds 2 tomorrow. It'll be the first local tourny I've participated since I moved to Seattle, and the first Smash 4 one I've partook in outside of GAF.

Nice, you better Metal Blade their asses good :v

Edit: I'll play

Jigg mains:
This character is seriously fun. I have only gotten two rests off because it scares the crap out of me. Right now, my biggest issue is that when I get a hit in at low %,, I get punished. What can I do to avoid this?

Anyone wanna warm me up?
How is Washington? My wife wants to move there.

Customs on? Do GAF proud with that Blue Bomber of yours. :)

Thanks! Yup, customs on.

How is Washington? My wife wants to move there.

It's fantastic. This summer has been stupid warm, but if you don't mind misty rain in the non-summer months, perfect. Plus if you're a hiker, it's the best you'll find anywhere.

Edit: Lylat giveth, and lylat taketh. :x

A couple more Solar, and then I'm gonna call it a night!

Cronox

Banned
Alright, I need a break. So fucking tired of the huge piece of shit that is Mewtwo. I have lost at least 20 matches today because of how tucked up all of his attacks are. Fuck you, Sakurai, for releasing an incomplete piece of shit character. I literally had a Yoshi DI out of Usmash today. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Similar to how I feel with Bowser... not quite that much though. My sympathies.

Jigg mains:
This character is seriously fun. I have only gotten two rests off because it scares the crap out of me. Right now, my biggest issue is that when I get a hit in at low %,, I get punished. What can I do to avoid this?

The first few hits you land as Jigglypuff are always the hardest because as you noticed, they don't have knockback. After 25% or so you're safe on hit. I'd suggest trying to play as safe as possible in the early percents, take what hits you can and get out until Jigglypuff's moves give you proper knockback. Pound should be safe on hit even at the lowest percent, I like it as a crossup attack myself. You need to watch your opponent's percent - you have one opportunity to carry an opponent off the stage to the blast zone with a wall of pain, usually around 50-60%. That is the critical time. Around 65-80% is when you can land a rest kill that is likely to send your opponent into a star KO, giving Jigglypuff time to recover before your opponent comes back. If they make it past those percentages you'll have to work harder to get them to 100%+ and hit them with a bair or finally a couple good fairs for the kill. Worst comes to worst, you can kill most characters with a pound at around 150%. Don't forget dair as a mixup to catch people who are used to fade-away fair/nairs. Dair has a vacuum effect but you can't just drag opponents around with it, don't overshoot and miss the last hit.

Jigglypuff is rewarding to play against for glory players and is easy enough to pick up, but expect to be as frustrated as when you play Bowser/Mewtwo when you encounter good players.

The worst way ever to find out you can't walljump on Omega Kalos is to up B with Lucario directly to its side :|

Ggs Tipster, parents are kicking me out of the console.

Getting MM match up experience was nice.

I'm not sure if I'm just not feeling Fox lately or if my Marth just got better than it :/

Marth was the tougher match up this time, and I'd say in big part to the Up + B custom. Makes him really hard to gimp, where as your Fox custom makes it even easier than normal Fox. :/

Marth was the tougher match up this time, and I'd say in big part to the Up + B custom. Makes him really hard to gimp, where as your Fox custom makes it even easier than normal Fox. :/

Oh good, someone actually acknowledges that point :v

That's true although Marth's certainly has...issues of its own lol

Still, I was mostly talking in reference to approaching and actually getting hits.

BRB maining... that blue-haired swordsman...
I was playing on the Miiverse stage today as Lucas and saw a message that read "Winning won't bring mummy back."

;_;

Holy shit

I said Holy shit

Thanks! Yup, customs on.

It's fantastic. This summer has been stupid warm, but if you don't mind misty rain in the non-summer months, perfect. Plus if you're a hiker, it's the best you'll find anywhere.

Edit: Lylat giveth, and lylat taketh. :x

A couple more Solar, and then I'm gonna call it a night!
How is the humidity? What kind of work do you do?

Similar to how I feel with Bowser... not quite that much though. My sympathies.

The first few hits you land as Jigglypuff are always the hardest because as you noticed, they don't have knockback. After 25% or so you're safe on hit. I'd suggest trying to play as safe as possible in the early percents, take what hits you can and get out until Jigglypuff's moves give you proper knockback. Pound should be safe on hit even at the lowest percent, I like it as a crossup attack myself. You need to watch your opponent's percent - you have one opportunity to carry an opponent off the stage to the blast zone with a wall of pain, usually around 50-60%. That is the critical time. Around 65-80% is when you can land a rest kill that is likely to send your opponent into a star KO, giving Jigglypuff time to recover before your opponent comes back. If they make it past those percentages you'll have to work harder to get them to 100%+ and hit them with a bair or finally a couple good fairs for the kill. Worst comes to worst, you can kill most characters with a pound at around 150%. Don't forget dair as a mixup to catch people who are used to fade-away fair/nairs. Dair has a vacuum effect but you can't just drag opponents around with it, don't overshoot and miss the last hit.

Jigglypuff is rewarding to play against for glory players and is easy enough to pick up, but expect to be as frustrated as when you play Bowser/Mewtwo when you encounter good players.
Thanks for this! If I land an Fair late in my jump, am I unsafe? It feels that way. I should use Pound instead, then?

Yeah, I don't know why all of my characters are so messed up. I can even deal with the ledge grabbing issue Bowser has, but I am NOT happy when someone DIs out of Bowser Bomb.

BRB maining... that blue-haired swordsman...

I'ma find you a Marth amiibo.

How is the humidity? What kind of work do you do?

The humidity has literally never bothered me here. There is some, but I've lived in NY and Maryland, where the humidity is way higher. Seattle has about 3 months of absolutely amazing weather by most people's metrics (80's, sunny/no rain), 5 months of what I call amazing weather (high 60's - 70s, occasional rain, a little overcast) and 4 months of what I consider a nice winter (50's, very little snow). Can't beat it.

I work in software, and there's tons of opportunity out here for that.

The humidity has literally never bothered me here. There is some, but I've lived in NY and Maryland, where the humidity is way higher. Seattle has about 3 months of absolutely amazing weather by most people's metrics (80's, sunny/no rain), 5 months of what I call amazing weather (high 60's - 70s, occasional rain, a little overcast) and 4 months of what I consider a nice winter (50's, very little snow). Can't beat it.

If I see Marth in my mailbox I'm going to set one of my taunts to "MegaMan2 Suuuucks"

And spam it in every game we play.

While using Yellow Yoshi.

On Omega Pac-Land.

Also, you call that a winter? Shit sounds more like fall weather to me, hit me up when it dips into the negatives every other week and you gotta shovel your driveway as part of your morning routine. :p Heck, I don't even think Chicago is as bad as up north in that weirdo maple moose country.

Okay I'm going to bed now

If I see Marth in my mailbox I'm going to set one of my taunts to "MegaMan2 Suuuucks"

And spam it in every game we play.

While using Yellow Yoshi.

On Omega Pac-Land.

Also, you call that a winter? Shit sounds more like fall weather to me, hit me up when it dips into the negatives every other week and you gotta shovel your driveway as part of your morning routine. :p Heck, I don't even think Chicago is as bad as up north in that weirdo maple moose country.

Okay I'm going to bed now

Hmm? What country might you be talking about? Surely you can't be talking about Canada, 'cause "weirdo" is not an applicable adjective to describe it.

What the hell kinda temperatures are you weirdos using? Get with the rest of the world and use Celsius, or if you really want, Kelvin.

Beef quick question for you since you're a Villager main. How do you feel about the Marcina match up? One of our top guys here prefers to go with them over his custom Palu for that match up and I was wondering if that actually was a good idea or not.

Default Palu automatically makes the Villager matchup an exercise in frustration thanks to her Reflect. If they're actually intelligent with using it, then RIP in peace.

As for Martha, it's slightly different than fighting Marth. With him you have to watch your distance because if your spacing is off then you eat a tipper. Martha doesn't have tippers but that also means she doesn't have to watch her distance when attacking, so she can go all-in. You fight both of them mostly the same way, though. Properly-spaced slingshots, and making them take to the air by bombarding them with Lloyds and punishing their attempts to get around them. Neither of them have a direct answer to any of Chillager's attacks aside from bulldog attempts. And if they mess that up, then they're done for.

Cronox

Banned
Spent about an hour trying to get consistent short hop fast fall fairs with Sheik. After all that, went into for glory and all my short hop fair business went to shit of course.

Thanks for this! If I land an Fair late in my jump, am I unsafe? It feels that way. I should use Pound instead, then?

Yeah, I don't know why all of my characters are so messed up. I can even deal with the ledge grabbing issue Bowser has, but I am NOT happy when someone DIs out of Bowser Bomb.

Fair right as you land next to someone is unsafe, pound is almost always safe on hit, so if you know their shield isn't up... that would be one to use. Or you could train out that habit, and only attack from diagonally above - easier said than done and not always possible. If you're about to hit the ground you might be better served by just getting there and getting into a grab or jabs (btw, the first jabs on hit can almost always chain into a second jab). Also, going to revise my % estimate for walls of pain to 50-70% depending on the character. There's a percent where the fair knocks them too far away and becomes hard to chain, optimally you want to reach that percent right as they die from the wall of pain.

I love Bowser and certainly won't drop him, but I'm sick of feeling like I lost because I'm using a character with slow rolls/spotdodges/airdodges/attacks, among other problems. If I play the best character in the game, I know that when I lose it's because I did something wrong. Right now I'm at about a 2 or 3 hour Sheik. My combos are incredibly sloppy and I'm doing a lot of playing with my food. But I never feel out of control of the match. It's not that the other person was too good, it's that I couldn't properly control this slippery Ferrari that is Sheik.

On a side note, I'm a little miffed at how easy it is to ledge trump with Sheik. Due to her fall speed and air speed/momentum attributes, there's no difficult 270 degree motion required like with Bowser. It's literally just "run off the ledge then quickly hold towards the stage." It should be that way for every character :(

Boney

Banned
They call that Kirby.
Seriously, charge shot Kirby scares the crap out of me. The benefit of the charge shot is offset for samus sucking, Kirby doesn't suck and has it anywaysz even gets a better version that razes the ground

Also, saw a bowser that edge guarded with Bowser Bomb, doing it so it would grab the ledge and ko someone. Pretty nifty and nothing to do against good timing.

Hmm? What country might you be talking about? Surely you can't be talking about Canada, 'cause "weirdo" is not an applicable adjective to describe it.

What the hell kinda temperatures are you weirdos using? Get with the rest of the world and use Celsius, or if you really want, Kelvin.
Those were in Kelvin, man. We're rolling in ice down here.

In all seriousness, converting to the metric system is something every educated American wants. The problem is that more than half of this country is witless, so we argue about stuff like whether our country would be better off if billionaires had more money instead.

That sounds great!

Spent about an hour trying to get consistent short hop fast fall fairs with Sheik. After all that, went into for glory and all my short hop fair business went to shit of course.

Fair right as you land next to someone is unsafe, pound is almost always safe on hit, so if you know their shield isn't up... that would be one to use. Or you could train out that habit, and only attack from diagonally above - easier said than done and not always possible. If you're about to hit the ground you might be better served by just getting there and getting into a grab or jabs (btw, the first jabs on hit can almost always chain into a second jab). Also, going to revise my % estimate for walls of pain to 50-70% depending on the character. There's a percent where the fair knocks them too far away and becomes hard to chain, optimally you want to reach that percent right as they die from the wall of pain.

I love Bowser and certainly won't drop him, but I'm sick of feeling like I lost because I'm using a character with slow rolls/spotdodges/airdodges/attacks, among other problems. If I play the best character in the game, I know that when I lose it's because I did something wrong. Right now I'm at about a 2 or 3 hour Sheik. My combos are incredibly sloppy and I'm doing a lot of playing with my food. But I never feel out of control of the match. It's not that the other person was too good, it's that I couldn't properly control this slippery Ferrari that is Sheik.

On a side note, I'm a little miffed at how easy it is to ledge trump with Sheik. Due to her fall speed and air speed/momentum attributes, there's no difficult 270 degree motion required like with Bowser. It's literally just "run off the ledge then quickly hold towards the stage." It should be that way for every character :(
Haha, poor guy.

Thanks for the Jiggs tips.

Seriously, charge shot Kirby scares the crap out of me. The benefit of the charge shot is offset for samus sucking, Kirby doesn't suck and has it anywaysz even gets a better version that razes the ground

Also, saw a bowser that edge guarded with Bowser Bomb, doing it so it would grab the ledge and ko someone. Pretty nifty and nothing to do against good timing.
I do this all the time. If you aim it right, it also beats 4/5 ledge get up options. Nothing in this game makes you feel like a boss like running up to a ledge and doing this.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit confused regarding in what thread I should post, but I hope this is the right place. I haven't played in quite a while but updated firmware etc. yesterday and uploaded some of my custom stages.

112r70.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFIPPW9Wg

2ibose.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACXVHhmqP9q2A

3d1qxm.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFIPQXmug

I'm Rösti in the community too, so you should be able to find these quite easily. They are quite hectic stages where you simply can't mash buttons, you gotta be careful to not make mistakes. The images above are also of the whole stage, it's different in-game where you don't see all terrain/obstacles.

Ganondorf can be scary since overcommiting can lead to geting smashed offstage with ease. His up smash allows him to act quickly after the attack animation ends, but the start-up isn't all that fast and it's pretty unlikely that you'll get caught by it out of the blue. Remember that his back is open during the attack (unless you end up hitting his raised leg through improper spacing), and at worst just stay away while 'Dorf does his work-out routine.

My general strategy against hard-hitters is to keep my distance while harassing them with projectiles or anything my character has that allows me to safely pester them from outside their range, and then punishing them whenever they go for anything unsafe (ie: 'Dorf's down B).

...But you just reminded me that a Ganondorf got me with an up tilt a couple days ago, of all things.

Thanks, so being patient and attacking during the startup is the key. Ganon is not the best character in the game, but you really need to be cautious with him, everything he does is dangerous and it can really went wrong quickly.

JulianImp

Gimmick levels tend to be fun for fooling around, but they also get stale rather quickly and are often heavily unbalanced towards certain characters. Something you should watch out for is the fact that players can tech against any wall (including lava), which means that a good enough player can basically survive forever as long as they keep getting flung into a wall. It's the reason why I think remaking Peach's Castle N64 would not work anymore, since the triangle-shaped platforms allow teching.

While I did make some larger stages at first, I later went on to making simpler stages which would work for 1v1s, and it's a real pain to make sure you aren't giving any characters a particularily easy or hard time in there.

All this reminds me that I'm kind of annoyed that the stage editor ended up being almost as bare-bones as Brawl's in spite of the node-based ground creation... would it have killed them to keep ice (maybe as a modifier like lava), conveyor belts, ferris wheels and other nifty props like that? We didn't even get the Great Cave Offensive lava, now that I think about it.

Edit @Blackquill: You should probably try approaching the match-up through theorycrafting. Any smash attack Ganon tries can be stuffed by a jab or tilt from most characters, his down B is very unsafe on block, and forward B can get punished badly or interrupted by any projectile; on top of that, his regular grab has pitiful range and leaves him wide open. If you look at it from Ganondorf's perspective, it means that his main "safe" options would be those with low start-up, such as his tilts, jabs and properly spaced aerials. He can't stay in place doing those and hoping you walk into them, though, so you know he'll have to shield and space well (with his awful grounded and aerial movement speeds) while looking for an opening to rack up the damage.

You should also be aware that his tilts do have KO potential, so it isn't like he always has to go for a slow smash attack to wrap things up. His aerials tend to be better, though, but he exposes himself to their landing lag should you shield or avoid them.

Offstage Ganon is often as good as dead if your character has any decent ledgeguarding options. His only options are knocking you away with uair or bair (since the other moves take him too long to recover from), air dodging, forward B or up B, which are both easily punishable with projectiles or attacking them from their blind spots.

Top Bottom