• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Went to my 1st Smash tournament today. I played pretty well and won a good few games. Shame the whole thing was ruined by some of the worst organistation I've ever seen.
Most of my games were atleast an hour apart, and considering it was a fairly small tourney with multiple setups, that shouldn't have happened.

That wasn't the bad part. I ended up getting wrongfully knocked out because of how bad the organistation was. I don't even know how or why it happened, my only guess is that the guy thought the set I lost was in losers bracket, when it was actually in winners. Because of how long a wait there was between games, I didn't find out anything went wrong until much later. And then yea, found out they had fucked up and it was apparently too late to fix.

They didn't even give me the money back. Not exactly a good 1st Tourney experience...

Atleast I got to impress people with Zelda

Soul Lab

You need to fuck up that place's reputation.

GGs. Day 2 with Puff, so feedback is appreciated.

I'm also new to wario. Started him this week. so feel free to comment.
I don't know Puff that well. Just played against a few. They grabbed more than you did. So maybe you wanna grab some more. sry can't give many advices

Boney

Banned
Went to my 1st Smash tournament today. I played pretty well and won a good few games. Shame the whole thing was ruined by some of the worst organistation I've ever seen.
Most of my games were atleast an hour apart, and considering it was a fairly small tourney with multiple setups, that shouldn't have happened.

That wasn't the bad part. I ended up getting wrongfully knocked out because of how bad the organistation was. I don't even know how or why it happened, my only guess is that the guy thought the set I lost was in losers bracket, when it was actually in winners. Because of how long a wait there was between games, I didn't find out anything went wrong until much later. And then yea, found out they had fucked up and it was apparently too late to fix.

They didn't even give me the money back. Not exactly a good 1st Tourney experience...

Oh man, that sucks, they should've at least given you a refund

Oidisco

I mostly went Zelda, but I used Marth for a couple games where I wasn't comfortable with the matchup.

Best match was me fighting a villager. He used side-b to recover, and I just used Nayru's Love to make him SD. 30 seconds later, he did the same thing again and I won the set.

The guy who beat me and went on to win was an amazing Dedede player. He destroyed pretty much everyone there, though I think I was the only one to take a game off of him. He didn't really do anything too crazy, but was just really good at playing safe, covering ledge get-up and frame-trapping.

I'm also new to wario. Started him this week. so feel free to comment.
I don't know Puff that well. Just played against a few. They grabbed more than you did. So maybe you wanna grab some more. sry can't give many advices
I thought your play was solid, minus all the SDs.

A slightly off topic question about Smash Bros...

If smash bros is meant to be a casual friendly game, then howcomes I feel that it is very hard to get a non gamer to be any good or to enjoy it whereas something like Tekken they seem to pick up and understand or at least enjoy straight away?

Recovering and shielding in Smash, and doing smash attacks (the old fashioned way at least) is actually more difficult to explain than I thought. It feels like a traditional fighter is more fun for casual gamers. We take it for granted but it feels to me this game is actually not easy to simply pick up and play.

Thoughts on this?

Beats

I thought evo is next weekend? Or are there already some smash rounds to reduce the amount of players?
sry I'm clueless

Different tournament. Nintendo of America is in Washington which is where Tipster's tournament is at, and so that's probably why Bill is there too.

If smash bros is meant to be a casual friendly game, then howcomes I feel that it is very hard to get a non gamer to be any good or to enjoy it whereas something like Tekken they seem to pick up and understand or at least enjoy straight away?

Recovering and shielding in Smash, and doing smash attacks (the old fashioned way at least) is actually more difficult to explain than I thought. It feels like a traditional fighter is more fun for casual gamers. We take it for granted but it feels to me this game is actually not easy to simply pick up and play.

Thoughts on this?

Because when you have two people playing a regular fighter that don't know how to play, button mashing can be fun. But if you put one of those people against a pro, they wouldn't be having fun anymore. I don't really understand how shielding can be difficult in Smash. It is the same as in any other fighter, except it can break.

This game is simple to pick up and play as long as you aren't against someone that knows what they are doing.

Thoughts on this?

Smash Bros is easier to control overall, Tekken is easier to mash buttons and have something cool happen by accident.

Who's around to play?

Thoughts on this?

I find that when someone is totally, utterly new to Smash that it's actually very difficult to explain because of how unique it is. You can't button mash and expect cool shit like in other fighters because you only have two buttons, and the cool shit comes from pressing a button while holding a direction. Therefore, you'd have to put actual thought into the inputs for cool shit, even if it's the bare minimum of "if I press B while holding a direction with Captain Falcon I get cool shit."

That being said, focus on doing goofy shit like time battles with items on Temple and hopefully they'll figure it out through experience while having a good time. If they're still hopelessly confused but willing to learn, show them the How To Play video and walk them through each concept covered very slowly.

It's a long process, and something I didn't expect to be difficult until I tried to teach my GF how to Smash. >.>;;;

Basically have every new player start with Falcon

An example is putting two non gamers against eachother who've never played the game before. It just doesn't work as well at Smash Bros. as it does in many other games, even non fighting. I feel Smash Bros. really is more complex when trying to explain it to a non gamer. Obviously every game gets deep when you get good and dive in and play properly, but even the basics. Someone not very good just ends up suiciding against a level 3 computer and it's no fun for them. Also all the characters control very differently so there's a chance that a comfort zone is quickly reached with a character and others are never given a chance.

I find that when someone is totally, utterly new to Smash that it's actually very difficult to explain because of how unique it is. You can't button mash and expect cool shit like in other fighters because you only have two buttons, and the cool shit comes from pressing a button while holding a direction. Therefore, you'd have to put actual thought into the inputs for cool shit, even if it's the bare minimum of "if I press B while holding a direction with Captain Falcon I get cool shit."

That being said, focus on doing goofy shit like time battles with items on Temple and hopefully they'll figure it out through experience while having a good time. If they're still hopelessly confused but willing to learn, show them the How To Play video and walk them through each concept covered very slowly.

It's a long process, and something I didn't expect to be difficult until I tried to teach my GF how to Smash. >.>;;;

Basically have every new player start with Falcon

Exactly this. I also learnt this when trying to play with my girlfriend and she's not even a "non gamer". Smash Bros just isn't on the same league as stuff like Mario Kart or Mario Party or even like I said traditional fighting games, puzzle games etc where they can have fun on the get go. It's actually really hard for it to click.

Of course we do time battles instead of stock, put her on the same team as the best player and things like that and it works but not many people seem to be aware that this game really isn't "beginner friendly" and don't get me wrong that's a good thing it's a fantastic game and I in no way want it dumbed down in any way, it's perfect as it is. I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this or feels this way or perhaps disagrees, and was also kind of worried if Sakurai knows this and maybe will make changes to the next game accordingly (I actually don't want it to be any more beginner friendly than it is, just simply stating that it isnt). Not every game has to cater to everyone anyway.

Here's the stream gents. Been kinda iffy in friendlies but let's see how it goes..!

http://www.twitch.tv/BreadnButterGames/mobile

Sponsored by Red Bull...

What's your tag, and what color of Rockman will you use? :O

Edit: Definitely go custom vs. spacies, that side-B makes it so much more difficult to get in as Fox or Falco and we need to get in to do anything to you. Otherwise, your default is solid enough by itself. :)

Edit 2: Holy crap, if customs are legal then beware the Twisting Fox and 64 Blaster. D:

Don't use customs, Tipster. Your default MM is so much harder to deal with.

It fully depends on the matchup. I have a harder time against Tipster when he uses customs while I play Yoshi. The bomb just opens up more KO and zoning options when I am trying to get close. I would imagine default being better against Mewtwo as you can't reflect everything. The default bomb I don't really worry about, though.

You better do better than this current MM, Tipster.

I crushed the Mega on stream in friendlies but I just took it from a Lucario haha.

Will have to work my way back up from losers to get a shot at being on stream.

Dude here named Locke with a sick Mega. Haven't played him yet.

Trinens Yoshi lost to a Rosie off stream. Something poetic here

I crushed the Mega on stream in friendlies but I just took it from a Lucario haha.

Will have to work my way back up from losers to get a shot at being on stream.

Dude here named Locke with a sick Mega. Haven't played him yet.

Trinens Yoshi lost to a Rosie off stream. Something poetic here

You lost in the second round and you get put in the first round of Loser's? How is that fair? The person you beat in the first round is as far in the tournament as you are, while having no wins.

Is Trinen in the tournament? I don't see Trintroll on the Challonge. It is only right for him to lose to the worst character in the game. He is representing all Yoshis.

You lost in the second round and you get put in the first round of Loser's? How is that fair? The person you beat in the first round is as far in the tournament as you are, while having no wins.

Is Trinen in the tournament? I don't see Trintroll on the Challonge. It is only right for him to lose to the worst character in the game. He is representing all Yoshis.

Was wondering that myself but I don't know.

I'm not sure what Trinen registered as but he just played with the tag Duck. Which isn't on the bracket. I'll pay more attention. He's here with Jason (I think?), who is also participating.

Was wondering that myself but I don't know.

I'm not sure what Trinen registered as but he just played with the tag Duck. Which isn't on the bracket. I'll pay more attention. He's here with Jason (I think?), who is also participating.

Only name that jumps out at me as his is BT. Jason is probably JC, as it is the same for his twitter.

To be fair, I can tell that he has to at least hold the controller now hahaha.
Any improvement is good improvement is what I say. :) After all, I don't know anyone who became a beast at Smash after a few months.

Hopefully next week I can start to Smash more, I need to keep my abilities strong and my characters at their peak. :)

JulianImp

I heard a guy mention Tipster's MM for a second onstream. Keep it up and get back onstream, AT!

Good to see the upB-spamming dongbender getting meteor smashed into oblivion last game.

I heard a guy mention Tipster's MM for a second onstream. Keep it up and get back onstream, AT!

Good to see the upB-spamming dongbender getting meteor smashed into oblivion last game.

Thanks! Hanging in there. Two more in losers under my belt. JC and Bill are out though. I tried to convince Bill to commentate.

JulianImp

Really like how GreeDD rolls off the tongue.

I've never seen a Lucario player so far, so it's interesting to see how one plays. I'm still salty that he got to keep the aura sphere damage while Mewtwo lost it this time around, though.

Any improvement is good improvement is what I say. :) After all, I don't know anyone who became a beast at Smash after a few months.

Hopefully next week I can start to Smash more, I need to keep my abilities strong and my characters at their peak. :)

I know I went from getting a stock off karst sometimes to getting a game off karst sometimes lol. Which imo is a massive jump.

JulianImp

Maybe next month ;p

Or whenever you want to play haha.

I signed up for doubles with a stranger who says he's bad but I don't think that gets streamed. We'll see!

I'd gladly play you sometime, since I've got to see how I can do against you one-on-one with Pac-Man. The MM that managed to get on stream seemed super unsafe with all the dash attacks he did, which was a stark contrast with your playstyle.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That suck but at least you did impressed some people with Zelda! That kinda reminded me of bad experience I had with one of many tournaments I went to.

Couldn't do it, lost to a Dr. Mario. He was good but I could've taken both games. Captains gonna have to take me to task :p
The fuck, if you can beat my Doc you should have no issues. :/

That said, have you played my Doc recently? Feels like I've just tossed random characters your way lately. Maybe we should spend a session covering that. Do you remember which customs he used?

Top Bottom