• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Boney

Banned
I just had a few nyquils cause I'm getting sick, so dunno how long before I crash and burn, but if somebody wants to do 1v1 that's cool

Too late
Anyone up for FFA/teams with items?
These aren't very common here, but good luck with that! I'm not really interested though :(

Holy shit, I just did jab to utilt with Yoshi twice in a row, once at low-mid % and then at mid-high %. If this is guaranteed, or at least likely depending on DI, this is amazing. Jab to utilt at low-mid %, and then jab to usmash at high %, and apparently jab to down-B works at a lot of %, but jab to utilt is so much better at low %.

That is a lot of % symbols.

All I'm reading is how much I love Yoshi.

Aww, you finally admit it!

Playing FG Challenge, and my Luma hit a Sheik that was recovering to the ledge while I was recovering. Don't really know how it happened, but I saved a replay.

Speaking of the FG Challenge, if it isn't Peach that makes me lose, it is Rosalina. If it isn't Rosalina, it is Bowser Jr. Even worse is I tend to SD with these characters, rather than being outplayed.

Wow, some guy changed their tag to LOL and REKT even when I have a memorial tag to Iwata. I wasn't even "REKT" because they were over 100% on their second stock. These people never even give second chances for me to switch to Yoshi and destroy them.

I fought what I thought was one of these people yesterday. I went random and got Ike, and they were Olimar. Immediately they throw their Pikmin off the stage and just do dtilt and the spinning aerial. They actually won, but I had figured out how to counter this with Ike towards the end. I beat them with Yoshi, and they actually try with Olimar. I win, they go Mario. I lose with Yoshi, Luigi, and Sheik. I go Yoshi again, win twice, they go Ness. I lose, and then I win twice. They go Mario, and I win. They were actually pretty good, but I didn't really enjoy the first troll game.

Wow, some guy changed their tag to LOL and REKT even when I have a memorial tag to Iwata. I wasn't even "REKT" because they were over 100% on their second stock. These people never even give second chances for me to switch to Yoshi and destroy them.

I fought what I thought was one of these people yesterday. I went random and got Ike, and they were Olimar. Immediately they throw their Pikmin off the stage and just do dtilt and the spinning aerial. They actually won, but I had figured out how to counter this with Ike towards the end. I beat them with Yoshi, and they actually try with Olimar. I win, they go Mario. I lose with Yoshi, Luigi, and Sheik. I go Yoshi again, win twice, they go Ness. I lose, and then I win twice. They go Mario, and I win. They were actually pretty good, but I didn't really enjoy the first troll game.

For Glory is completely packed with shitty players and shitty people who lag horribly and won't even stay for more than one game. Nothing new.

For Glory is completely packed with shitty players and shitty people who lag horribly and won't even stay for more than one game. Nothing new.

Oh, I know that. It is why I taunt and crouch after every kill. I just like to detail these people's lack of humanity.

I don't stay for more one game a lot of the time. If I pick you while only taking 50%, then I am not going to stay. I don't care if it wasn't your main. I also leave when I fight roll spammers, and smash spammers.

JulianImp

Aww, you finally admit it!

Playing FG Challenge, and my Luma hit a Sheik that was recovering to the ledge while I was recovering. Don't really know how it happened, but I saved a replay.

Speaking of the FG Challenge, if it isn't Peach that makes me lose, it is Rosalina. If it isn't Rosalina, it is Bowser Jr. Even worse is I tend to SD with these characters, rather than being outplayed.

So you got trolled by Nolimar? Sounds rough, but at least it wasn't like your opponent was just a troll, and you managed to get a couple decent games out of him/her/it. That's much better than the average For Glory experience of lag fests and/or players who are still getting used to the game and can't keep up. Today I went of FG after I saw Puruzi's room was taken early in the morning, and I only got lag city, complete with an Ike that only used Aether and dashed into up smashes.

One of the things I've learned as of late is to stop foolishly falling towards my opponents (unless I'm trying to mix things up), since it isn't like Pac-Man has disjointed hitboxes or amazing priority in his aerials. One of the things that made me realize that wasn't the way to go was your Yoshi, Nami, since falling towards you often meant trading one of my crappy aerials in return for getting spiked. Taking a more space-centric approach appears to pay off more than rushing towards opponents as Pac-Man, since it isn't like he has an overwhelming pressure game or absolutely safe pokes.

I have also just realized that crazy fruit disappears immediately after they hit anything so they can't be grabbed. I'll have to experiment some more with them, though, since I believe crazy cherries can have several interesting uses (awfully easy to regrab, sets up a decent wall against characters that have to approach Pac and can also be thrown right before setting a hydrant in place to make it fly away after a single bair). Still, the awful nerf to the Galaga, bell and key still troubles me...

So you got trolled by Nolimar? Sounds rough, but at least it wasn't like your opponent was just a troll, and you managed to get a couple decent games out of him/her/it. That's much better than the average For Glory experience of lag fests and/or players who are still getting used to the game and can't keep up. Today I went of FG after I saw Puruzi's room was taken early in the morning, and I only got lag city, complete with an Ike that only used Aether and dashed into up smashes.

One of the things I've learned as of late is to stop foolishly falling towards my opponents (unless I'm trying to mix things up), since it isn't like Pac-Man has disjointed hitboxes or amazing priority in his aerials. One of the things that made me realize that wasn't the way to go was your Yoshi, Nami, since falling towards you often meant trading one of my crappy aerials in return for getting spiked. Taking a more space-centric approach appears to pay off more than rushing towards opponents as Pac-Man, since it isn't like he has an overwhelming pressure game or absolutely safe pokes.

I have also just realized that crazy fruit disappears immediately after they hit anything so they can't be grabbed. I'll have to experiment some more with them, though, since I believe crazy cherries can have several interesting uses (awfully easy to regrab, sets up a decent wall against characters that have to approach Pac and can also be thrown right before setting a hydrant in place to make it fly away after a single bair). Still, the awful nerf to the Galaga, bell and key still troubles me...

I still do this all the time. I distinctly remember today falling towards a Falcon that was charging fsmash, and I died at like 50%, twice! I even do this with Yoshi. I misjudge the distance when I do a B-reverse with Yoshi and try to egg 'em, and then I tend to get smashed. I really need to learn to just jump or Egg Toss away, or get to the ledge, at least for the majority of the time.

I just remembered another person on FG today. I think I was playing Falcon, and they played Villager. They managed to win by a little bit, so I switched to Yoshi. I take their first stock and employ Villager tactics right back at them. I just double jump away, while using eggs, to get from one side of the stage to the other, while mixing it up by going backwards too. There was very little the Villager could do, and it would've gone to a timeout if I continued to do it. I plan to do this against every Villager camper from now on.

Oidisco

So I couldn't sleep and played For Glory at around 6am, and maybe it's some weird sleep deprevation thing going on but my Zelda has never felt better. I played a bunch of really good players with little lag, and didn't lose a single game. Barely lost any stocks.

When playing For Glory I'm usually terrible at adapting to players and reading their movement, but that wasn't the case this time and it felt awesome! I really should've recorded those games, because I was stringing together moves in ways I've never done before.

So I couldn't sleep and played For Glory at around 6am, and maybe it's some weird sleep deprevation thing going on but my Zelda has never felt better. I played a bunch of really good players with little lag, and didn't lose a single game. Barely lost any stocks.

When playing For Glory I'm usually terrible at adapting to players and reading their movement, but that wasn't the case this time and it felt awesome! I really should've recorded those games, because I was stringing together moves in ways I've never done before.

I still wish we could play each other without lag... ;__;

Prepare yourself for when it all goes away tomorrow.

Cronox

Banned
Been watching tourney videos of Sheik play, went into for glory and found some alright opponents. I lose to smash-happy players cause my spacing is often suspect and I end up whiffing a falling aerial into their smashes. Haven't figured out the scrubby for glory Link matchup either. But my Sheik is coming along. I do wonder if this character isn't a little too fast for me. I sometimes impress myself with the strings I pull off, but besides those sort of explosive combos I rarely capitalize on moves I don't expect to hit, and often get stuck throwing multiple ftilts the wrong way or whiffing. I have moments of playing at the proper speed for this character, but they are by far the minority of my playtime. The character requires such precise, quick play... All those supposedly guaranteed combos require strict timing besides maybe dthrow to uair (which I figured out today I should stop doing, it stales one of Sheik's kill options).

As I once wrote in this thread, I'm comfortable with Sheik being this game's best character - she's legitimately hard to play, and her high tier qualities don't start showing until you're playing very well. Sure, fair is great, but if you can't capitalize on it you're talking about a move that does 4% damage. It doesn't matter if you win the neutral 20 times if that's all you get off it. I was thinking that maybe I went a bit too far going straight to Sheik instead of an easier high tier earlier today, but the whole point of playing her is because I want to be the limiting factor, not the character I'm playing. I'm certainly finding myself the limiting factor at the moment...

I'm getting close to being willing to come out of hiding and play some of GAF with my Sheik... but not quite yet. Sheik still needs some time to cook so I don't completely embarrass myself.

Been watching tourney videos of Sheik play, went into for glory and found some alright opponents. I lose to smash-happy players cause my spacing is often suspect and I end up whiffing a falling aerial into their smashes. Haven't figured out the scrubby for glory Link matchup either. But my Sheik is coming along. I do wonder if this character isn't a little too fast for me. I sometimes impress myself with the strings I pull off, but besides those sort of explosive combos I rarely capitalize on moves I don't expect to hit, and often get stuck throwing multiple ftilts the wrong way or whiffing. I have moments of playing at the proper speed for this character, but they are by far the minority of my playtime. The character requires such precise, quick play... All those supposedly guaranteed combos require strict timing besides maybe dthrow to uair (which I figured out today I should stop doing, it stales one of Sheik's kill options).

As I once wrote in this thread, I'm comfortable with Sheik being this game's best character - she's legitimately hard to play, and her high tier qualities don't start showing until you're playing very well. Sure, fair is great, but if you can't capitalize on it you're talking about a move that does 4% damage. It doesn't matter if you win the neutral 20 times if that's all you get off it. I was thinking that maybe I went a bit too far going straight to Sheik instead of an easier high tier earlier today, but the whole point of playing her is because I want to be the limiting factor, not the character I'm playing. I'm certainly finding myself the limiting factor at the moment...

I'm getting close to being willing to come out of hiding and play some of GAF with my Sheik... but not quite yet. Sheik still needs some time to cook so I don't completely embarrass myself.
You could play my newbie Jiggs.

The stuff that makes Sheik too good isn't hard to abuse. I don't think anyone is upset by her Fair or combos. Needle spam, up B, and her insanely good roll are the problems. Fix those, and she is balanced. The core issue isn't that she is too strong on offense, it is that she is extremely campy AND has a really safe offense.

Don't worry about staling moves. Stale moves are on a stack of 10 most recent attack attempts. As long as you do lots of stuff before you go for a Uair kill later, you will be fine. I use Dtilt after charging Shadow Ball to refresh the damage all the time. Gotta 1-shot those Fox players. ;)

SoldnerKei

Haven't figured out the scrubby for glory Link matchup either.

Hopefully this helps, it's mostly the reason why I get so much trouble against Sheik, she can easily approach or force you to approach and destroy Link up close.

Power Shield and Shield, you can't rack up damage at all if she plays defensive and safe, her needles shut down Link's projectiles startup animations, that's why we usually jump to stay out of her projectile line whenever we throw the rang or pull a bomb, but scrubby links won't bother with that, you want Link close, because everything you do will be faster, and you get a lot from a grab against him. Another reason why we hold a bomb in hand whenever she is close, something you'll rarely see in FG.

So, approach by PS his projectiles or evading them, or force him to approach by shutting him down with needles, destroy him up close with your faster attacks, after all Link's jab is his fastest attack and takes 7 frames to come out, basically that's why this kind of playstyle gets destroyed on tourneys, because the only reason you could have trouble with PS and evading, would be due to lag.

Soul Lab

I would have loved to see those videos

I wonder if we'll ever get another Sakurai-helmed Smash. Iwata always seemed to be the one who pressured him into it, and I doubt there's anyone else at Nintendo who can do the same.

Boney

Banned
Pretty sure the stale move queue needs to connect for it to count. Shields count but whiffs don't I believe.

I think a good fix for Shiek would be to have the needles not be stored by shielding and work similarity to Greninja's shuriken.

I wonder if we'll ever get another Sakurai-helmed Smash. Iwata always seemed to be the one who pressured him into it, and I doubt there's anyone else at Nintendo who can do the same.
I wonder if Sakurai will continue freelancing for Nintendo. He's always had an interest in other consoles and this might be his oportunity

According to the wikia, the moves dont need to connect to unstale.

Edit: just remove the hitstun on needles. ;)

lol.

I just develop more patience. I never played you. Are you still playing Bowser?
I play a mix of Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Bowser these days. Want some matches?

Pretty sure the stale move queue needs to connect for it to count. Shields count but whiffs don't I believe.

I think a good fix for Shiek would be to have the needles not be stored by shielding and work similarity to Greninja's shuriken.

I wonder if Sakurai will continue freelancing for Nintendo. He's always had an interest in other consoles and this might be his oportunity
Ooh that's a good point as well. Considering their history, if there was any one thing holding him back it had to be Iwata, right?

entremet

According to the wikia, the moves dont need to connect to unstale.

Edit: just remove the hitstun on needles. ;)

I play a mix of Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Bowser these days. Want some matches?
I suck lol. Trying to level up. I should hit local events as they say that's the best way to get better.

Fandangox

Such a frustrating character to play, and to play against. Easily my most frustrating opponenet that I don't have actual problems winning against.

I wanted to learn him when the game first came out, but I was terrible with him, since you have to be a lot more careful with Mac, since mistakes with this character can pretty much mean your stock right and there. However he is very fun, and feels super satisfying that to play as, the fact that he can combo into his KO punch is awesome
and awful at the same time.

I wanted to learn him when the game first came out, but I was terrible with him, since you have to be a lot more careful with Mac, since mistakes with this character can pretty much mean your stock right and there. However he is very fun, and feels super satisfying that to play as, the fact that he can combo into his KO punch is awesome
and awful at the same time.
KO punch is the scrubiest thing in this game. So much hate for that move.

Thulius

I think Shulk's counter vision is worst or at least tied with KO Punch for scrubbiest move.

At least Mac loses the punch if hit once and he HAS to connect it on the ground.

KO punch is a reward for taking damage that kills significantly earlier than rest, is just as fast, invincible, has far more range, is unblockable and can be comboed into consistently.

Vision is super obnoxious when you do get hit by it but whatever, you can avoid it by not being predictable and you get a free punish every time it whiffs. Mac gets KO punch off an extremely fast, safe poke and he can punish whiffs, landings and rolls with it. Never mind the fact that hits actually have to knock him into a tumble/downed state to remove it so lots of characters' safer projectiles/pokes don't even stop it if he runs straight into them.

By far the dumbest move in the game. % leads mean nothing against that character until you get rid of it and it's absolutely baffling how often people whiff it when there are so many situations where it's guaranteed.

KO punch is a reward for taking damage that kills significantly earlier than rest, is just as fast, invincible, has far more range, is unblockable and can be comboed into consistently.

Vision is super obnoxious when you do get hit by it but whatever, you can avoid it by not being predictable and you get a free punish every time it whiffs. Mac gets KO punch off an extremely fast, safe poke and he can punish whiffs, landings and rolls with it. Never mind the fact that hits actually have to knock him into a tumble/downed state to remove it so lots of characters' safer projectiles/pokes don't even stop it if he runs straight into them.

By far the dumbest move in the game. % leads mean nothing against that character until you get rid of it and it's absolutely baffling how often people whiff it when there are so many situations where it's guaranteed.
just treat mac like puff in melee with her upthrow-rest.

Top Bottom