• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Highwind

Community leads to a drought of new players. People all move on eventually, but no one checks community unless they're already part of a thread. If you reflect on it, when you click on the "Community" tab, you aren't skimming thread titles for interesting bits like you are in "Gaming". You are just looking for your thread.

In "Gaming", people skim threads and sometimes go "Oh, Smash! I've been wanting to get back into that.", or they click to check our conversations out and think "Hmm, I'd like to play with these folks sometime". It leads to new blood, which is vital. Community = Death is the common GAF perspective.

Fair enough.

Would anyone like to 1v1?

Alright.

Boney

Banned
Community leads to a drought of new players. People all move on eventually, but no one checks community unless they're already part of a thread. If you reflect on it, when you click on the "Community" tab, you aren't skimming thread titles for interesting bits like you are in "Gaming". You are just looking for your thread.

In "Gaming", people skim threads and sometimes go "Oh, Smash! I've been wanting to get back into that.", or they click to check our conversations out and think "Hmm, I'd like to play with these folks sometime". It leads to new blood, which is vital. Community = Death is the common GAF perspective.
When Mewtwo released and this got bumped back to gaming we has a huge splurge of new players for a bit. Sadly it didn't last long

When Mewtwo released and this got bumped back to gaming we has a huge splurge of new players for a bit. Sadly it didn't last long
I disagree. There are several new faces here. Also, the ranbats went from 60 players in S1 to like 30 in S2, and then up to 50 in S3 (Mewtwo released). Now we are sitting at 42 for S4, so it is a notable increase.

Karsticles, what are your default controls for Mewtwo? I have C Stick as tilt and i think it works a lot better for him. Helps him get out of situations quicker.

Karsticles, what are your default controls for Mewtwo? I have C Stick as tilt and i think it works a lot better for him. Helps him get out of situations quicker.
L is grab.
R is shield
Z is jump (rarely use this).
B is special.
A is attack.
X is shield.
Y is jump.
C-stick is attack (tilts).
Tap Jump off.
AB smash off.
Rumble on (aw yeah).

L is grab.
R is shield
Z is jump (rarely use this).
B is special.
A is attack.
X is shield.
Y is jump.
C-stick is attack (tilts).
Tap Jump off.
AB smash off.
Rumble on (aw yeah).

Hmm, do you mind playing against my Mewtwo? He's quite mediocre, but I want to play against someone who knows what to expect vs him

edit: guess you are busy.

Anyone up for some 1v1s?

Hmm, do you mind playing against my Mewtwo? He's quite mediocre, but I want to play against someone who knows what to expect vs him

edit: guess you are busy.

Anyone up for some 1v1s?
I will get on. Give me a moment.

Edit: failed to connect to your room.

I made a room. Try joining.

Use your side B to help with recovery. Teleport by itself has weak recovery range.

Edit: just choosing random characters so you can get a feel for him. First time playing Sheik.

Since I have the game in again due to Shamrock's tricks, does anyone want to play?

Sorry, didn't read this until just now. I can pick them later if you want. I was trying to give you matchups Mewtwo struggles with. I know he can best Bowser and himself. :p

Another skillful win with Yoshi, though!

nah it's fine. After those little mac matches I just went brain dead and started coasting, so I wanted your Mewtwo or Bowser to get me back to being focused. GGs though!

nah it's fine. After those little mac matches I just went brain dead and started coasting, so I wanted your Mewtwo or Bowser to get me back to being focused. GGs though!
GGs. What are your thoughts on Mewtwo so far? I don't plan on dropping him, so your reflections are meaningful to me.

Good to know that I should start every set off as Little Mac. ;D

A few things that may speed your learning along:
1) Dtilt is crazy good. Use it as a poke, or as a punish when Mewtwo is too far to grab.

2) Air Dodge before landing is way less safe with Mewtwo than Ness.

3) I feel like Mewtwo has an extra bad "Ledge Stand" recovery. It feels easier to hit him than others. Might just be a placebo. I have found that his best way of recovering is on the stage. Use the combination of jump, double jump, side B, and teleport to "lose me" for a safe landing.

GGs. What are your thoughts on Mewtwo so far? I don't plan on dropping him, so your reflections are meaningful to me.

Good to know that I should start every set off as Little Mac. ;D

A few things that may speed your learning along:
1) Dtilt is crazy good. Use it as a poke, or as a punish when Mewtwo is too far to grab.

2) Air Dodge before landing is way less safe with Mewtwo than Ness.

3) I feel like Mewtwo has an extra bad "Ledge Stand" recovery. It feels easier to hit him than others. Might just be a placebo. I have found that his best way of recovering is on the stage. Use the combination of jump, double jump, side B, and teleport to "lose me" for a safe landing.

He's actually quite fast, and if you can keep him grounded, he can cover ground really well. I was able to grab fairly easily in a lot of instances. He has the same problem as Ness, if he gets too high in the air and can't fast fall, he will get destroyed. I think his dthrow can set up some stuff, I am just not quite sure how yet, it requires reads. His downb is not as hard to hit as I thought.

Sakurai says he doesn't play favorites when balancing Smash.

Anyone think this is true? Kirby was total barf in Melee and I still think Brawl Meta Knight was a complete anomaly.

He also notes that there's no real logic behind the idea of him choosing to balance his preferred characters:

Sakurai took the allegations head on with pure logic. “First off, what merit is there for me to play favorites with characters I worked on?” he wrote. Sakurai went on to note that Pit from Kid Icarus is in fact one of the characters he has trouble using in the game. “To bring up an example, two characters I have trouble with and can’t use very well are Pit and Palutena. Therefore, for me, I feel that ‘Pit and Palutena are weaker than the average character.’ If I were to adjust them to fit myself, they would become even stronger – but as you may notice, I haven’t.”

Something tells me Sakurai's favorite characters aren't Diddy, Sheik, Luma, and Sonic. Discuss?

Sakurai says he doesn't play favorites when balancing Smash.

Anyone think this is true? Kirby was total barf in Melee and I still think Brawl Meta Knight was a complete anomaly.

He also notes that there's no real logic behind the idea of him choosing to balance his preferred characters:

Something tells me Sakurai's favorite characters aren't Diddy, Sheik, Luma, and Sonic. Discuss?
If he balanced towards favorites Palutena and Pit would be top tier.

He's actually quite fast, and if you can keep him grounded, he can cover ground really well. I was able to grab fairly easily in a lot of instances. He has the same problem as Ness, if he gets too high in the air and can't fast fall, he will get destroyed. I think his dthrow can set up some stuff, I am just not quite sure how yet, it requires reads. His downb is not as hard to hit as I thought.
He is around the middle in dash speeds. Not bad, IMO. I have a list comparing all the characters, but I can't share it.

Four dthrow setups:
Jump forward fair for direct damage.
At higher %, run forward, pivot, Bair.
If you want to bait the air dodge at low %, walk forward and Dtilt.
If you want to bait the air dodge at high %, jump and dair.

If they jump, typical air chase. Nothing guaranteed or good. Opponents should always jump. Ditto with confusion.

That was the kill of the forever against Mega man. I have never smiled so big as that gimp. I just wish it had happened against Tipster, lol. I am speaking of the reflected Uair.

GGs Namagem. You should play Anonymous_Tipster if you haven't already. You and he play very differently. He never uses Leaf Shield, so it took me time to understand that move. It has a ton of priority.

Top Bottom