• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Oh my god I got so lucky there, I used the wrong move and then used up-b because I paniced. I guess it worked out!

Can i just say, Luigi's aerials really need to be nerfed. They do so much damage, combo into eachother easily and have so much priority. I honestly find him more annoying to fight than Yoshi, and I hate Yoshi!

Cronox

Banned
I would put time into mine, but she is so boring to play for many matches in a row. Nothing beats the fun of Yoshi :p

Cronox seems to be trying to get into Sheik, and he is pretty dedicated to the characters he picks, so he might be the best bet.

I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad about our Sheik dittos given how many matches you've played with her. I'm still probably under 40 matches played. Our matches and some for glory afterwards made me rethink if I'm good enough to play Sheik at the level the character needs to be played.

My ability to short hop fast fall fair is inconsistent in training, and goes out the window under pressure. But more importantly, I don't seem to have the reaction time to follow up with a chain after a hit. The timing on true combo fairs/uairs/bouncing fish is tight. When I hit someone with a fair/ftilt/dtilt/utilt/jab in neutral I don't know if they're going to shield it or not. If they shield it, we go from there. But if I get the hit I often realize too late and drop my followup. I rarely know whether a random fair/ftilt/etc is going to hit until it does, that's the nature of the quick and close range attacks Sheik has. I often attack a shielding opponent only to find I've hit them. It's a 50/50 that I'm not able to capitalize on. The whole point of Sheik is maximizing followups off her low damage attacks. I know more familiarity with the character will help this, but part of this is my own limitation. I'm past my prime.

This is why I've said Sheik is the right character to be "S tier" in this game. If you can play Sheik really well, you're a really good player anyway. I feel faster than Bowser. But I may be slower than Sheik. Maybe I need to look at another character. Sheik seemed like a high tier I could live with, but I'm not going to bang my head into that wall for too long if I don't see a future there.

Oidisco

Ok good games dude! Your Luigi is fantistic by the way, definitely the best I've ever played. I kinda wanted to use Marth and Zelda against you, but that probably would've been a disaster.

I actually think Esam was right in saying that Samus does pretty well against Luigi though. I didn't realise bombs could gimp luigi's recovery like that, so I'm definitely gonna be using them more in that matchup.

Soul Lab

Ok good games dude! Your Luigi is fantistic by the way, definitely the best I've ever played. I kinda wanted to use Marth and Zelda against you, but that probably would've been a disaster.

I actually think Esam was right in saying that Samus does pretty well against Luigi though. I didn't realise bombs could gimp luigi's recovery like that, so I'm definitely gonna be using them more in that matchup.

Oh thx a lot. I'm not feeling that way though, lol. my fingers keep do other things, even though my head do want something else.
I also gotta say Luigi is one of the easier characters to play. So, playing Luigi you have to prepared people saying you don't need/ have skill. (happened already xD) But I'm ok with that, he's so much fun for me

And yes. I'm having a hard time against Samus. The small delay online doesn't help against projectiles either ^^
you are so good with so many characters. It's unreal

Out of curiosity, is there much of a difference between my and Wynd's Zelda?

You go for the up B reads a LOT more. Wynd uses neutral B more. IMHO, both of you could benefit from more neutral B, just because it has those delicious iframes. Wynd probably goes for "I think you're about to throw Shadow Ball" neutral Bs, too. Your combos and setups are better than his. Overall, I find your Zelda harder to deal with.

Pretty accurate there. Neutral B I find as my one of safest move to approach to. Just altering the timing here and there keeps it from being easily punishable. As for dealing with shadow ball, nothing wrong with neutral B as long as it's within a certain range. If it's across the stage then it will get reflected back. Closer than half then the neutral B can re-reflect back still. And I go for the hard reads A LOT. It doesn't land a lot but when it does it's pretty much a high damage punish or a kill.

Right now it's pretty much upping my offstage game and phantom use.

Why did I wake up this early for Smash? :-(

So, again, it sounds like you'd be fine if I made a match as frustrating for you as possible, either by constantly picking custom DK + BF, constantly rolling away with a keep-away character and spamming projectiles or by spamming Sonic spindashes as the only attack I use in a match. Or that you'd apparently be fine with someone constantly picking Final Destination (even though you've stated before how much you hate it when people keep picking Final Destination because of the flashy background). That's your code, I guess, but that's not mine. That's not why I go in this thread to play and have fun.
FD literally hurts my eyes, haha. It's a bit different than just being annoyed. I have the same problem with Marvel and the dark-colored stages + dark characters. My eyes have trouble telling what's going on, and it gives me a headache. Not really a code, just a physiological issue.

Usually, I'll play a variety of characters unless it's established before a set that an opponent wants me to stick to a specific one. But I'll usually pick a character with the intention and expectation to win. I don't think you've faced my WFT enough to gauge how good she is; I tend to get real bored if I constantly win against an opponent with a single character, and that opponent expects me to stick to the same one.
Relative to your excellent Sonic, your WFT if mediocre. Fair?

Sorry, I misread your intention with the character + stage combo, then. But understand, as Tipster pointed out, that it's not something that's pleasant to deal with when it's repetitive. In SC2 terms, it's cheese. It's as though I were playing friendlies against an opponent in that game, and they would 100% of the time early rush or pull an early proxy to eliminate me quickly. It can be simple to deal with, but it's not fun.
Are you saying you wouldn't appreciate me SCV rushing you over and over in SC? :-O

You're right, it was a dream. Not a nightmare, but a dream. You could've had a Scizor!

This isn't always true. I beat your Mewtwo with Lucario and you switched right away to Jigglypuff. But generally it does come down to a long set of Mewtwo vs. Yoshi in the end, with lots of one-sided rage posting.
I didn't know you were using custom Lucario. That side B. :-(

My DK is at that level right now. Hell, I might even get lucky and win, considering I have gotten wins some of the people in my ranbats bracket with him before.

Have we ever even played 50 matches in a row? That is like 2.5 hours, not counting the time between matches and replying here. I can't even stand Kalos 50 times. It used to be a mix of Kalos and Palutena's Temple, but now I pick the other three omegas because you haven't complained about those.
Haha, no idea. It could be 50 over the course of multiple sets. When I was heavy into Marvel, twice I played a FT50 against GodsBeard.
50-0

Does anyone know what the exact top 32 is btw?

Oh yeah, FSLink, we should see if we can play tomorrow or something.
http://i.imgur.com/2dAng7g.jpg

Oh my god I got so lucky there, I used the wrong move and then used up-b because I paniced. I guess it worked out!

Can i just say, Luigi's aerials really need to be nerfed. They do so much damage, combo into eachother easily and have so much priority. I honestly find him more annoying to fight than Yoshi, and I hate Yoshi!
They have pretty low priority. The only Luigi aerial that needs a nerf is his down B. Stupid priority on that thing.

Loooool. Would be nice to have the possibility to cancel bite for the right timing.

Anyway. Ggs!!!

Yup GGs! If I hadn't used my full charge waft for recovery in that last match I would be dead. Your Wario is coming along nicely. And yes, Wario dies first with bite so when that happens offstage I don't mash out of it.

Boney

Banned
Cool, thanks Karst.

I hope customs continue. I was kinda accepting they'd be banned post evo but I haven't seen anything horrible about them and the top32 seems fine.
There needs to be some balancing and I hope it comes quickly.
There's two very problematic customs in my opinion, trip sprout and hammer Spindash. The first should make everyone trip, still making it an insane move but at the very least it wouldn't be broken as it is now. Hammer Spindash should at the very least require a lot more charging to get that speed and grounding, it should also lose the invincibility frames (most moves should as well, Shiek having so many in her recovery is just as offensive as these other two moves personally).

But 99% of the customs are fine, even Rosalina laser and wind dong are "fine". It's a shame the new dlc characters don't have any but at least some characters have crappy customs as well so it's not that bad..

Oh btw, is there an sd clause in evo? Doubt it.

Cool, thanks Karst.

I hope customs continue. I was kinda accepting they'd be banned post evo but I haven't seen anything horrible about them and the top32 seems fine.
There needs to be some balancing and I hope it comes quickly.
There's two very problematic customs in my opinion, trip sprout and hammer Spindash. The first should make everyone trip, still making it an insane move but at the very least it wouldn't be broken as it is now. Hammer Spindash should at the very least require a lot more charging to get that speed and grounding, it should also lose the invincibility frames (most moves should as well, Shiek having so many in her recovery is just as offensive as these other two moves personally).

But 99% of the customs are fine, even Rosalina laser and wind dong are "fine". It's a shame the new dlc characters don't have any but at least some characters have crappy customs as well so it's not that bad..

Oh btw, is there an sd clause in evo? Doubt it.
I really don't like Rosalina's laser. Moves that are straight upgrades are the worst. If it had no hitstun, it might be okay, but that's way too good on her.

I wonder how long we have to wait post-Evo for the next balance patch. August?

I think lots of customs are too good. Dragon Rush, Trip Sapling, Decisive Monado Arts, Power Vision, Explosive Balloon Trip, Heavy Skull Bash, Penetrating Needles, Super Speed, Hammer Spindash, Iceballs...

Most of those are in the top 32.

So little sleep :( Maybe now I will go to bed at a decent time.

These matches better be good!
Hello, my brother in sleepiness. Be glad you didn't set your alarm 2 hours early because your tired self did PST -1 instead of PST +1. :-(

Hello, my brother in sleepiness. Be glad you didn't set your alarm 2 hours early because your tired self did PST -1 instead of PST +1. :-(

I set alarms an hour early, woke up and was super tired, and then I slept another 50 minutes. I am still super tired, and the stream hasn't even started on time.

Neki

I really don't like Rosalina's laser. Moves that are straight upgrades are the worst. If it had no hitstun, it might be okay, but that's way too good on her.

I wonder how long we have to wait post-Evo for the next balance patch. August?

I think lots of customs are too good. Dragon Rush, Trip Sapling, Decisive Monado Arts, Power Vision, Explosive Balloon Trip, Heavy Skull Bash, Penetrating Needles, Super Speed, Hammer Spindash, Iceballs...

Most of those are in the top 32.

Hey it's not a straight upgrade! The regular star bits can't be absorbed, and do more damage if all of them hit. I also think they're a bit safer on shield.

Top Bottom