• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
That set was incredibly close. Two of those games c/should've been loses for him.

It would be close if Sheik wasn't so absurd. ZeRo is clearly above other Sheiks, but yeah.

Nairo choked. I don't think character johns are really valid here, Nairo just dropped stuff he shouldn't have. Zero played steady the whole time. The first match he lost his first stock really quick, but didn't falter at all and brought it back. He played clutch under pressure. If that's all that makes the difference, that's plenty.

Edit: also we've seen a number of ill-advised character switches this whole top 8. None of them have worked out... Strange that 3 top players can lose confidence in their character in 1 round... the best of 3 matches probably have something to do with that.

Noooo. Come on Mr. R. :(

And I was looking forward to seeing his Pac-Man duking it out with other top 8 players, but no. Only Wario and Rosalina.
Haha. Hey, he got to top 8 with Pac. Be happy he can do that much.

No one even picked Mewtwo. Might as well have been banned.

Boney

Banned
Did we get a full list of unused characters?

Mewtwo, samus, Ike, Zelda, peach? Ganondorf? Robin?

Overall it was a great representation of the cast, sad my main wasn't around :(

JulianImp

Zero went up the ladder using Sheik. Switches to Diddy for the finals and still dominates in spite of all the nerfs the smash team has been piling on him.

Next patch will see Diddy copy Ganondorf's frame data, I guess.

Beats

I was pretty happy with the tournament as a spectator. Lots of fun and interesting matches, and the commentary was on point for the most part.

Zero went up the ladder using Sheik. Switches to Diddy for the finals and still dominates in spite of all the nerfs the smash team has been piling on him.

Next patch will see Diddy copy Ganondorf's frame data, I guess.

The nerfs haven't changed what made Diddy fundamentally good in neutral, they just took most of his KO power. Same with the Sheik nerfs. The recent patch showed that they have a better understanding now of why characters like Ike and Falco were weak, but they still seem hesitant to change what makes certain characters so fundamentally better than everyone else.

except for greninja rip frog

All I wanted was Sheik vs. Sheik Grand Finals.

Now Diddy will get nerfed again, and who knows about Sheik. :-(

Lol @ giving them fight sticks.

Cronox

Banned
Thing about ZSS is she has many similar tools to Sheik, but with greater risk/reward setups. She kills significantly earlier, hits harder and does more damage per hit. Her dthrow followups are more guaranteed than Sheik's also. In return for these advantages, she has a tether throw. Nairo knows what kind of character he's playing, he could easily play Sheik if he wanted to.

Sheik has to work so hard for the kill, I don't think anything needs to be nerfed outside of needle priority as I've said. The games with Mr. R were a perfect showcase of Sheik's problems killing. Especially with the rage mechanic in this game, a safe Sheik player at 70% vs a character with an early kill setup (ZSS up b, Wario waft etc etc) at 150% is basically an even game.

I'm more interested in the conclusion on customs than all that though. For all the hype and claims of jank that customs were going to introduce, they didn't have much of an effect outside of allowing certain players to get further with otherwise unviable characters like Wii Fit Trainer. This EVO is actually a good showing for customs - it allows characters to make slight matchup adjustments, and gave other characters a chance. Top 8 would have been the same with or without customs. All of that ESAM customs jank rarely came into play - in his top 8 I don't recall him getting a single KO off a heavy skull bash. The caliber of player he was playing just wasn't going to give him the opportunity, or let him style with the thunder wave custom. I'd be happy to continue playing with customs, and I don't see anything coming out of this tournament that contradicts that.

leroidys

Thing about ZSS is she has many similar tools to Sheik, but with greater risk/reward setups. She kills significantly earlier, hits harder and does more damage per hit. Her dthrow followups are more guaranteed than Sheik's also. In return for these advantages, she has a tether throw. Nairo knows what kind of character he's playing, he could easily play Sheik if he wanted to.

Sheik has to work so hard for the kill, I don't think anything needs to be nerfed outside of needle priority as I've said. The games with Mr. R were a perfect showcase of Sheik's problems killing. Especially with the rage mechanic in this game, a safe Sheik player at 70% vs a character with an early kill setup (ZSS up b, Wario waft etc etc) at 150% is basically an even game.

I'm more interested in the conclusion on customs than all that though. For all the hype and claims of jank that customs were going to introduce, they didn't have much of an effect outside of allowing certain players to get further with otherwise unviable characters like Wii Fit Trainer. This EVO is actually a good showing for customs - it allows characters to make slight matchup adjustments, and gave other characters a chance. Top 8 would have been the same with or without customs. All of that ESAM customs jank rarely came into play - in his top 8 I don't recall him getting a single KO off a heavy skull bash. The caliber of player he was playing just wasn't going to give him the opportunity, or let him style with the thunder wave custom. I'd be happy to continue playing with customs, and I don't see anything coming out of this tournament that contradicts that.

She [Sheik] still has WAY better kill options than a ton of characters though...

Alright Out_Of_Ammo and any other bracket 2 peeps, I'm available for the next several hours. Otherwise I'll be watching Competitive Catherine or practicing on For Glory

ESAM got a Heavy Skull Bash KO or two.

Sheik is bullshit even beyond needles. Her Fair and Ftilt need hitbox nerfs. Up B should have no invincibility.

Major roll nerf needed. You can hardly tell when she is rolling because it ends so fast.

Sheik KOs often at around 110%. Very normal. Sometimes she makes lots of mistakes, and then it drags to 150%+. Still, that isn't saying much from a character that gets you to 60% after two hits converted into combos.

Yeah, saying Sheik has to "work" hard for KO's is pretty insulting to all of the characters who can't accidentally get a KO while recovering.
Rofl. Ain't that the truth.

ESAM definitely got a bunch of his wins from customs. I remember seeing lots of paralysis chains into HSB, or even 1 paralysis in HSB or Usmash at 90%.

When the number one character in the game is Sheik, and Sheik's customs are pretty much player's choice, of course not a ton of customs will be seen. That doesn't stop Sonic, Rosalina, and Diddy having some crazy customs. So what if Kong Cyclone wasn't in the top 8. It is still an extremely powerful move that gives too much for too little.

Thulius

GGs. Online still makes me too mad to play as well as I want to but I at least feel like I learned a little bit about dealing with Ness/Lucas.

Top Bottom