• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

ESAM definitely got a bunch of his wins from customs. I remember seeing lots of paralysis chains into HSB, or even 1 paralysis in HSB or Usmash at 90%.

When the number one character in the game is Sheik, and Sheik's customs are pretty much player's choice, of course not a ton of customs will be seen. That doesn't stop Sonic, Rosalina, and Diddy having some crazy customs. So what if Kong Cyclone wasn't in the top 8. It is still an extremely powerful move that gives too much for too little.
Lets not forget that Abadango was literally 1 second away from being eliminated because of customs.

GGs. Online still makes me too mad to play as well as I want to but I at least feel like I learned a little bit about dealing with Ness/Lucas.
Did you use Mewtwo? Curious about your thoughts on Ness.

They should give Shiek's needles a little more cooldown but other than that I think she's fine.
Very few characters can deal with her safe aerials with their massive priority.

Thulius

Did you use Mewtwo? Curious about your thoughts on Ness.

Yeah for a few games. Going for air dodge punishes a few frames too late with Bair/Uair/Fair/Ftilt/Utilt only to get killed by Ness's Uair/Nair because nothing is disjointed is maybe the most frustrating thing ever. Definitely not a good matchup, but it feels manageable. I don't have the patience for it though, too much time spent sitting around waiting for Ness to do something.

Yeah for a few games. Going for air dodge punishes a few frames too late with Bair/Uair/Fair/Ftilt/Utilt only to get killed by Ness's Uair/Nair because nothing is disjointed is maybe the most frustrating thing ever. Definitely not a good matchup, but it feels manageable. I don't have the patience for it though, too much time spent sitting around waiting for Ness to do something.

None of those matches save for one went below 2:30. I swear I am going to have to start saving matches.

Thulius

None of those matches save for one went below 2:30. I swear I am going to have to start saving matches.

I'm not saying anything negative about you, I'm saying that there's literally no reason for me to try to approach because you Fairing defensively will stop anything I try. Just because neither of us are playing like it's evo finals doesn't mean I don't understand how the matchup should go. :p

E: Remember when I airdodged your Fair offstage and then got stage spiked by the end of it anyway because Mewtwo's tail was still in front of you? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. There's no way for Mewtwo to move forward while that move is out short of teleport and that's uh... not a real option!

I bought all the DLC for both Wii U and 3DS (except costumes) when it released, but I haven't redeemed it on 3DS yet, and I don't remember how. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

JulianImp

I bought all the DLC for both Wii U and 3DS (except costumes) when it released, but I haven't redeemed it on 3DS yet, and I don't remember how. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

You get the 3DS codes on your WiiU purchase receipts. You can look them up in the WiiU eShop.

You'd better redeem them soon, since the cross-platform codes expire after some time.

Crayolan

I think you go to the eshop, go to settings, and there should be a redeem code option. Enter your DLC code there.

Yeah. That was kind of his fault though, because the only way for Angel to win was use that, so Abadango should've chose a better run strategy.
Agreed completely.

Getting spiked on the tail hurts. :(

He isn't calling you campy. That is just how the matchup goes. Mewtwo has ZERO good and safe offensive options. So Mewtwo doesn't like to go on offense. Ness works best when he punishes offensive whiffs. So Ness doesn't like to go on offense. It is just kind of a passive matchup when both people are playing it properly. Especially for Mewtwo, because Ness is almost never unsafe, and Mewtwo has NO options outside of punishing without taking big risks.

Every Ness I play, the matchup is like that. Except for the terrible ones that never use Psi Magnet or dive into Mewtwo like he can't shield grab.

Alright, GGs! Man those SDs really hurt.
DDDSDs?

Boney

Banned
Anybody thinks the tier list will change after evo/1.08?
Was super excited about that Bowser Jr
Also, seems like customs are here to stay

Ok anybody wants to play?

Where were all the Luigis? If he is top 5, and the easiest character in the game to play. then where was he?

EVO wasn't really surprising. Sheik, Rosalina, ZSS, Ness, and Mario were all known to be good. Abadango's Pac-Man was definitely a surprise, though, but that doesn't make Pac-Man high tier.n

Where were all the Luigis? If he is top 5, and the easiest character in the game to play. then where was he?

EVO wasn't really surprising. Sheik, Rosalina, ZSS, Ness, and Mario were all known to be good. Abadango's Pac-Man was definitely a surprise, though, but that doesn't make Pac-Man high tier.n

I think Pac Is underrated. His problem is too many of the highest tiers, like sheik and rosa, are really bad matchups for him. Overall though he matches well with most of the roster when used correctly

JulianImp

I think Pac Is underrated. His problem is too many of the highest tiers, like sheik and rosa, are really bad matchups for him. Overall though he matches well with most of the roster when used correctly

But I feel that Pac, while underrated, has several flaws that make him hard to win with, mostly his lack of KO options or easy confirms into combos, as well as his horrible grab and bad throws. It's for these reasons that I honestly can't blame Abadango for going with higher-tier characters for his top eight matches.

Fandangox

Pac-Man's main issue is getting the Kill reliably and thus is disadvantaged by the rage mechanic.

He is also incredibly unique, like Mega Man, and not many players put time into him because of that. I have never seen a Pac-Man like Abadango, just like I have never seen a G&W like Regi. Pac-Man can be very good in the right hands. He definitely isn't low tier, but he still has some weaknesses. How does Pac-Man handle the Villager matchup?

Where are Cyberman and Flux? I assume Cyberman is still at EVO, I guess.

I don't really understand why Sonics like them struggle, yet there are so many (non-6WX) Sonics who seem to be enormously successful spamming side B back and forth for 6 minutes.

Also, seems like customs are here to stay

Where do you get the idea that customs are here to stay?

Tier list will undoubtedly change after Evo, but we'll be getting another balance patch in, at most, 1 month. I expect a massive upheaval of the tier list after Sakurai reflects on this weekend's results.

You can only have so many people at the top. Sometimes it's just a matter of no one noteworthy picking up a character.

But I feel that Pac, while underrated, has several flaws that make him hard to win with, mostly his lack of KO options or easy confirms into combos, as well as his horrible grab and bad throws. It's for these reasons that I honestly can't blame Abadango for going with higher-tier characters for his top eight matches.
Most characters don't have combos past the early %. I don't think Pac-man is bad so much as that there are a few characters in their own league right now.

Pac's up b is a good grab replacement
Yeah, not all characters have the same "get out of hell" options". Pac-man has a good Nair and Up B instead of shield grabs, and that's fine.

Where are Cyberman and Flux? I assume Cyberman is still at EVO, I guess.

I don't really understand why Sonics like them struggle, yet there are so many (non-6WX) Sonics who seem to be enormously successful spamming side B back and forth for 6 minutes.
I don't think Flux went to Evo...or if he did, why is he playing people here still? :p

Cyberman struggles because he uses the full Sonic character. In terms of general gameplay, Cyberman is really good. The problem is that he doesn't spam the cheap stuff, and that means he is less effective.

Boney

Banned
So nobody wants to play?
Tired of laggy for glory
I don't think they are. At the end of the day they didn't even matter much, and that minor gain in characters used in the lower pools is not worth the hassle of implementing customs for every tournament.
I absolutely disagree it's not worth the hassle. At the end of the day they make all characters better but there's no one that's gonna dominate against anybody. Every character needs all the help it can get to fight moves that are so bullshit like vanish and bouncing fish.

I think they're staying because they came and went. Nobody can argue that they completely change the game or make some character ss+ tier.

Puruzi

Banned
So nobody wants to play?

I absolutely disagree it's not worth the hassle. At the end of the day they make all characters better but there's no one that's gonna dominate against anybody. Every character needs all the help it can get to fight moves that are so bullshit like vanish and bouncing fish.

I think they're staying because they came and went. Nobody can argue that they completely change the game or make some character ss+ tier.

I'll play if you want

You can only have so many people at the top. Sometimes it's just a matter of no one noteworthy picking up a character.

That must be why Yoshi wasn't there.

Not.

Yoshi wasn't there because he gets beat by a lot of the other high tier characters, and good luck in the Sheik match-up. Yoshi wasn't even in top 32, never mind 16.

Beats

Hmm, seeing Pikachu in Top 32 for Melee and 4 at EVO made me realize that this character has probably never been bad in any Smash game. Anyone know how Pika was in Brawl?

QP3

I haven't played a smash game since the original. I am considering picking it up tomorrow on the 3DS. Anything I should know? I do not need the wii u in order to fully enjoy it, correct?

I haven't played a smash game since the original. I am considering picking it up tomorrow on the 3DS. Anything I should know? I do not need the wii u in order to fully enjoy it, correct?

Depends on what you are looking for in a game. It's great fun, but it will get boring quick if you don't plan on playing online or with people regularly

QP3

Depends on what you are looking for in a game. It's great fun, but it will get boring quick if you don't plan on playing online or with people regularly

I suppose the natural progression would be to play online. Will I get hammered, or is there a system in place for less-than-fantastic brawlers?

Hmm, seeing Pikachu in Top 32 for Melee and 4 at EVO made me realize that this character has probably never been bad in any Smash game. Anyone know how Pika was in Brawl?

In America, I believe he was upper-mid or high tier because ESAM was doing ridiculous shit with him and he had a 0-death chain grab on characters like Fox.

Japan didn't have any Pikachus near that level, so he wasn't considered as good.

Edit: Also, I believe people said he was one of the closest to have an even matchup with MK and he could do a shitton of down-B off stage before having to recover. Despite his positives though, he was really hard to do well with and I believe only ESAM was able to consistently place high with him.

Fandangox

I suppose the natural progression would be to play online. Will I get hammered, or is there a system in place for less-than-fantastic brawlers?

Well there's two main online modes.

For Fun which allows items, Free For Alls, All stages etc.

For Glory has no items and only Omega stages (Final Destination versions of all stages) Only 2 stocks for 1vs1 and Time matches for 2vs2

For Glory players arent that good, so if.you practice enough you should do okay, there's no matchmaking though, every bow and then you can run into a really good player. (I ran into Ac3star once didnt even realize...)

Top Bottom