• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Boney

Banned
But you use Link sometimes don't you? :p

Samus' grab isn't that shitty. The range is absurd.
Just for shits and giggles. I'm actually happy they buffed his grab because a) link isn't so crap now and b) it gives me hope other tethers Will be buffed. Link's grab was so garbage before.

Samus grab has good range and can be useful for catching landings, especially pivot ones when someone's trying yo hit you with an aerial. But the range doesnt help at all when you have such long start up and cool down just a roll in means you might die, and it's not like one can do much against roll ins with samus. Zss one is just as slow, but it can get you a kill at like 40%, links from paralyzer and ahe's much faster so it's easier to get.
Samus can get a combo throw that's easily DIable and an up throw that kills at 200%

Just for shits and giggles. I'm actually happy they buffed his grab because a) link isn't so crap now and b) it gives me hope other tethers Will be buffed. Link's grab was so garbage before.

Samus grab has good range and can be useful for catching landings, especially pivot ones when someone's trying yo hit you with an aerial. But the range doesnt help at all when you have such long start up and cool down just a roll in means you might die, and it's not like one can do much against roll ins with samus. Zss one is just as slow, but it can get you a kill at like 40%, links from paralyzer and ahe's much faster so it's easier to get.
Samus can get a combo throw that's easily DIable and an up throw that kills at 200%

How do I DI the down throw to fair combo?

Yoshi can kill with a forward throw at the ledge at like 300%. Best throw in the game.

He probably has the best grab release in the game at least.

I don't even know how many characters it works on. A lot of them can just shield right before I can jab, some can even jab first. Grab release doesn't work in Yoshi dittos :(

But it is good against certain characters.

Then again, best grab release isn't saying much. Who else ever goes for a grab release except for at the ledge for tricks?

Boney

Banned
I go for grab releases, if you over mash you get hit by a charge shot in the face

How do I DI the down throw to fair combo?

Yoshi can kill with a forward throw at the ledge at like 300%. Best throw in the game.
Just di away, down back I suppose. With good di you're not getting any follow ups because of how slow samus horizontal speed is.
Someone gave the tip that you can fire a super missile in this scenario, where it forces them you use the second jump and lets you fish for a charge shot. So that's cute.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't even know how many characters it works on. A lot of them can just shield right before I can jab, some can even jab first. Grab release doesn't work in Yoshi dittos :(

But it is good against certain characters.

Then again, best grab release isn't saying much. Who else ever goes for a grab release except for at the ledge for tricks?

Hey i'm not saying that it's some great thing. Just that it has at least something going for it.

Nabster92

Just signed up for Super Smash Con since I finally confirmed I will still be here during that weekend and it's literally 15 minutes from my house. Anyone else here happen to be going?

Just signed up for Super Smash Con since I finally confirmed I will still be here during that weekend and it's literally 15 minutes from my house. Anyone else here happen to be going?

There's gotta be some big event in the midwest you guys can go to so I get to meet Gaf friends, isn't there? :(

Take pictures and tell us your experience when all's said and done. :3

Hatchtag

Banned
Very good beast of a little Mac, Pac-Man couldn't do anything against him, had to switch to the Capitan right away. Even then still took some games to adapt.

Who else do you play?

My best by far is Little Mac. Behind him is Ganondorf, Jigglypuff and Ryu. You can probably judge how well I am with other characters by how well that Ganondorf match went lol.

Fandangox

My best by far is Little Mac. Behind him is Ganondorf, Jigglypuff and Ryu. You can probably judge how well I am with other characters by how well that Ganondorf match went lol.

Well its not like Ganondorf is exactly the best character out there though lol, I think also all the characters I used against him are bad MUS for him. You also used Was though!

Hatchtag

Banned
Well its not like Ganondorf is exactly the best character out there though lol, I think also all the characters I used against him are bad MUS for him. You also used Was though!

Was?
What's Was lol?

EDIT: Also, what was up with that glitched out grab that happened on Dream Land? Does that also happen on the Wii U version?

The OP thing was mostly a joke I used to segue the question. I know why sheik is so good, I am actually legitimate curious what do you think about Yoshi seems whether a joke or not you keep bringing him up, so I want to know what you actual think of the character.

Now that you mentioned it though, I disagree with number 5, I like the commitment you have to put on the aerials (or moves in general). That's why landing a knee is. Go, some has big Landing lag, you have to commit.

Its why I dislike sonic in general, sonic will never get married cause he doesn't know what commitment is.
SOME specials need landing lag. Imagine Bowser dair without it. Most shouldn't have any.

Lots of stuff bothers me about Yoshi, but if the rest of the cast was buffed to his level, nothing about him would be too crazy.

#2 is what I want more than anything. There's almost nothing in the game you can punish after a spot dodge that you can't punish after a roll. The risk/reward skew is completely absurd for some characters. Why would you ever spot dodge against characters like Mario/Luigi/Sonic? They can punish you for spot dodging their grab at anything but the earliest possible frame with another grab, and their dash attacks are all active enough to catch spot dodges anyway. It's literally a lose/lose option.

Increased recovery on a lot of non-tether grabs and increased recovery on rolls would make grab reads more worthwhile and the current "safe" defensive option consistently punishable on reaction.

Between 4 and 5, I don't think either really does much besides homogenize the game into a single dominant playstyle. It would definitely make more characters viable, but it'd do so by making more characters play exactly like Mario already does, so I mean... eh. I'd rather see shieldstun changed entirely so it's not just based on an attack's damage. I like the idea of something like bowser bomb being a real threat on shield. A Bowser running at you should not be less intimidating than Luigi doing the same. I don't like the idea of Sheik mashing Ftilt in my face becoming a legit blockstring and forcing me to roll or have a fast OoS option to deal with it.

The way it is now leads to goofy situations like Pikachu's Fair or Lucas's Nair where the last hit does such low damage individually that the defending player can act before the attacker is even out of hitstop, which is just nonsense.

I think offensively, excluding a few outliers like Ness's Uair and Yoshi's Nair, things are pretty balanced right now. The problem is punishing the slower/stronger end of that balance requires no commitment. Charizard with proper combo/kill throws is a far better character than Charizard without either because now he actually threatens someone that just sits in their shield.

Similarly, Bowser should be relatively safe on block, but still have plenty of recovery on whiff. More blockstun for him means opponents need to outspace him or commit to a read if they want a punish. Without landing lag, he just mashes Nair/Bair all day and anyone without a strong projectile or a sword gets to sit back and scratch their head.

More blockstun for someone like Sheik means she's even safer and still doesn't actually care what her opponent is doing. It's something that needs changing, but the change shouldn't be universal.
Agreed on all of this.

Y'all better get good with Yoshi because I need practice. Can't shadow box in Smash :p

Here I am, so unselfish, where I let you practice against high tier characters like Yoshi and Luigi, and if you want, you can even play my Sheik. Eventually I will have Lucario, Toon Link, and Donkey Kong in the line-up for practice. The least you guys could do is play Yoshi so I can get some practice.
I will pick up Wolf and Ridley when they release.

Hatchtag

Banned
Samus is Was oops, the tablet auto correct was being dumb.

Also not sure, never seen it happen before.

Ah, Samus is a character I've been trying out recently. Same with Robin. I generally don't like characters that use a ton of projectiles, but I like them for some reason. Partially because I got around to playing Super Metroid and Awakening recently.

Fandangox

Ah, Samus is a character I've been trying out recently. Same with Robin. I generally don't like characters that use a ton of projectiles, but I like them for some reason. Partially because I got around to playing Super Metroid and Awakening recently.

I tend to prefer rush down types, but in Smash I play mostly characters from the franchises I like. Luckily captain Falcon's play style is my favorite.

Mario is stupid easy to do good with, holy crap.

I have rarely tried out the Mario, I remote felt really good to play as in the demo, but when I had the full roster I just went to my previous mains plus Shulk.

Okay so Lylat Cruise is the worst Charizard stage ever.

Mega Man makes Charizard's life a living hell.

Charizard's armor is useless against windboxes.

Okay.

GGs Tipster, it's become clear to me that Doc is a worse Mario, but not by much (until he goes off-stage). You've been using a lot more pellets and you caught me several times with the utilt. Trying out new things? :O Also surprised you went back to default Crash Bomber, unless Evo scared everyone off customs. Still, I think I actually did well with my mustache boys, and Falco didn't get as thoroughly destroyed this time. Thanks for the matches!

Edit: did I forget to mention we took a vacation to SD city because that was fun

Lots of stuff bothers me about Yoshi, but if the rest of the cast was buffed to his level, nothing about him would be too crazy.

I will pick up Wolf and Ridley when they release.

If everyone was buffed to Yoshi's level, Yoshi would be the lowest tier. Would you be happy then?

Wolf will probably be the highest tier character you play if he is released. After the latest patch, the space animals are both good to great. Ridley will have all the complaints that you have for Mewtwo. His moves will look like they have a lot of range, but the hit boxes will be messed up. Of course he will never be made, so this doesn't matter.

Paper Mario will be a ballot character. If he isn't, then I will not have a new main :(

Fandangox

SOME specials need landing lag. Imagine Bowser dair without it. Most shouldn't have any.

But what in specific, I want to see our write down on the character.

Okay.

GGs Tipster, it's become clear to me that Doc is a worse Mario, but not by much (until he goes off-stage). You've been using a lot more pellets and you caught me several times with the utilt. Trying out new things? :O Also surprised you went back to default Crash Bomber, unless Evo scared everyone off customs. Still, I think I actually did well with my mustache boys, and Falco didn't get as thoroughly destroyed this time. Thanks for the matches!

Good games Captain! I'm always surprised at the momentum and speed of Falco's aerials. I know everyone says he's terrible, but from my Mega Man tinted glasses, I really hate playing that match up.

And speaking of match ups I hate, it's our friendly mustachioed Marios. Phew, that shits rough. I think I prefer the Doc match up slightly, but he's super risky to try to gimp off stage with the priority on the Down B and Up B. And I still think the pills are great projectile. Dat trajectory.

Mario though, I'm usually pretty unfazed when I get killed unexpectedly, but that time you were landing a Dair and I shot off an almost full charge Mega Buster from like, 1 cm away, just to have it caped at me. Phew. I had to take a breather.

I know he's got virtually no landing lag, but fuck if it doesn't surprise me every god damn time.

Still, you're good with 'em and I still maintain your strength in this game is the footsies. By playing characters like Mario, you can really capitalize on it and it shows in my humble opinion. You'd probably have a sick Sheik if you put the time in.

One thing I would say, with Doc, I had trouble with the dude at locals when he would approach with a short hop fast fall bair. Over and over. His hurt box shifts and the hit box comes out so quickly that even with my disjoints it is incredibly hard to space and time correctly and not eat it. Plus it kills, so, maybe try to work that in a bit more.

Your Charizard is good, but he's not really a character that fits your style I wouldn't say. I think you're better off sticking with your normal guys.

I have been working in some new stuff, yeah! I've always tended to avoid super risky moves (which are like... all of Mega Man's kill moves) unless guaranteed, but that's super limiting and makes my life the worst when every stock takes to 180%. So I've been on the look out for Up Tilt opportunities and trying to work some pellets in. Still have some button input flubs, as you witnessed with that sick turn-around-wiff up-tilt against Doc at the end there.

All in all, great stuff. Thanks for playing!

Y'all better get good with Yoshi because I need practice. Can't shadow box in Smash :p

Here I am, so unselfish, where I let you practice against high tier characters like Yoshi and Luigi, and if you want, you can even play my Sheik. Eventually I will have Lucario, Toon Link, and Donkey Kong in the line-up for practice. The least you guys could do is play Yoshi so I can get some practice.

You want some Pink Yoshi dittos right now? I was really feeling it last night.

Oidisco

I would say we send replays with specific requirements so we can get a good idea of how to make style changes.

1: Doesn't matter if it's a win or lose, a good fight where both players can be killed basically anytime.

2: If you pull off some crazy stunt that worked, send it regardless of the above. New ideas go a long way.

3: If you get absolutely destroyed by someone in FG. Basically only hit them for less than 40% and got 2 stocked.

I don't have a capture card, but I usually upload replays that make me look good on youtube lol. Here's a couple that got me some ideas awhile back.

Far offstage teleport kill on 2nd stock

Elevator kill from ledge tether

Damn those were great! I try not to go for anything too crazy with Zelda just because of how risky it is.
Anyways, later on I'll upload a video of me vs a really good Little Mac. It was almost perfect, but I got a little over-confident on the 2nd stock and took a few hits :(

I'm playing Pit and Edge Pit again to practice walking and spacing instead of just running and short hopping.

I played as ROB and why has this character disappeared? I know probably because of the Sheik matchup, but it's a ton of tools and good frame data on a character who's really easy to use.

FSLink

Banned
A lot of ROB mains I knew were pissed off at the huge uthrow nerf. Being able to set people up to his grabs is a big part of his character which means he had a pretty reliable kill option.

Also seeing a lot of communities moving back to non customs after EVO. I have issues with this as people know, but really the biggest peeve is the dumb 1111/2222/3333 Miis only rule. It's so arbitrary, and is a half assed compromise for characters that are meant to have varied movesets. Just ban Miis out right or let all customs + Miis rock because banning them after about 6 months is the dumbest thing.

Okay.

Edit: did I forget to mention we took a vacation to SD city because that was fun
Are you catching Metal Blade?

If everyone was buffed to Yoshi's level, Yoshi would be the lowest tier. Would you be happy then?

Wolf will probably be the highest tier character you play if he is released. After the latest patch, the space animals are both good to great. Ridley will have all the complaints that you have for Mewtwo. His moves will look like they have a lot of range, but the hit boxes will be messed up. Of course he will never be made, so this doesn't matter.

Paper Mario will be a ballot character. If he isn't, then I will not have a new main :(

But what in specific, I want to see our write down on the character.
Hyper armor on double jump means free recovery. Why? Sure, give him super armor, but hyper armor is stupid. It means he is ungimpable unless you get a footstool or Yoshi overextends himself.

Eggs have a massive explosive hitbox that occurs even when they collide with other projectiles. Their angle, hitbox, and ability to prop up Yoshi mean that he can pretty much outdone anyone. If Nami can tell me a character that beats Yoshi at the ranged game, I would be curious to know. The eggs should do 5% if they hit dead on, but only 1% from the explosive flash, and should absolutely not prop opponents up.

3 frame Nair...I don't see why this is even a thing. Even Jiggs has 7 frames of startup on her Nair.

Neutral B is incredibly safe and has minimal recovery. It should have more.

Yoshi's shield should break sooner since it doesn't diminish in protection over time like every other shield. Or just give him a normal shield.

Down B recovers extremely fast. It is basically an upgraded Bowser Bomb. Give it more landing lag.

A lot of ROB mains I knew were pissed off at the huge uthrow nerf. Being able to set people up to his grabs is a big part of his character which means he had a pretty reliable kill option.
Yeah, it was a bad nerf.

FSLink

Banned
Some thoughts on customs vs non-customs post-EVO:
A lot of communities seem to be moving towards non-customs post-EVO. I think banning customs is fine after tourney data + long enough time, but coming from other fighting games, it's dumb that they're being banned so fast despite customs being mostly a non-issue at EVO.
There's good arguments against customs but I notice most of it is some really scrubby logic, and is a lot of "don't want to adapt" or "can adapt, but I do better in non-customs so fuck customs". Even banning Timber Counter/Heavy Skull Bash/etc (after proven tournament results) would better than losing custom Miis, Duck Hunt, Palutena, Ganondorf, etc. The DLC characters lacking customs argument is pretty weak too since a lot of competitive Smash doesn't go by what was intended by Sakurai.
What's even worse is the 1111/2222/3333 for Miis. They're meant to have varied movesets and do not have default movesets, it's such a half assed compromise. Just ban them all in non-custom rulesets if you don't want to deal with Miis.
Ideally there would be to both types of tournaments ran in regions, but of course there's logistical issues to this, and fear of a divide in the competitive community because of this.
What are all your thoughts on this? Again I don't mind either non-customs or customs but some of the arguments against customs are plain terrible.

Posted this on my group's Facebook page, would be curious how some of you guys feel about it.

Oidisco

Noice! That Falcon player ws clearly very flustered and not playing well. Throwing Falcon Punch when ye were both at 0% is pretty silly!

Anyways, just uploaded 2 Zelda videos.

Neat little ending to a Mewtwo match
Little Mac

Nair to sweetspot bair/fair is something I actually need to work on. I've been able to land it against most characters, but I'm not sure what percents it's possible at. I've also been able to get nair to failling up-air, but that's like super hard to get and won't work against a good player that knows to just jump away.

Top Bottom