• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Thulius

Good games Captain! I'm always surprised at the momentum and speed of Falco's aerials. I know everyone says he's terrible, but from my Mega Man tinted glasses, I really hate playing that match up.

No sane person says 1.0.8 Falco is terrible. Every aerial except Bair got pretty significant buffs, and jab/Usmash finally actually work

Fandangox

Noice! That Falcon player ws clearly very flustered and not playing well. Throwing Falcon Punch when ye were both at 0% is pretty silly!

Man that was painful to watch, only reason why'd you ever throw a Falcon Punch so early is if you are trying to hard read an air dodge out of a throw.

Not to mention the Falcon player immediately started with Raptoor Boost IN THE AIR after respawning "let me just waste my invincibility time"

Speaking of Falcon Punches, I sent you some replays with different Falcon Punch situations Julian. (3DS)

Noice! That Falcon player ws clearly very flustered and not playing well. Throwing Falcon Punch when ye were both at 0% is pretty silly!

Anyways, just uploaded 2 Zelda videos.

Neat little ending to a Mewtwo match
Little Mac

Nair to sweetspot bair/fair is something I actually need to work on. I've been able to land it against most characters, but I'm not sure what percents it's possible at. I've also been able to get nair to failling up-air, but that's like super hard to get and won't work against a good player that knows to just jump away.

I would think the main difference between us is that you combo up to do damage through tilts and nair, I sweetspot or smash my way to do damage. I also try to combo dair into everything alot too. Especially dair gimp into footstool. Best kill combo for Zelda.

Just signed up for Super Smash Con since I finally confirmed I will still be here during that weekend and it's literally 15 minutes from my house. Anyone else here happen to be going?
I decided to go earlier this week, should be fun. Sucks that I didn't know you were going since we could have teamed (not sure how to register for doubles after doing your registration).

Posted this on my group's Facebook page, would be curious how some of you guys feel about it.
I'm not a fan of customs used in tournaments. I don't mind playing against them, but I feel like they weren't well made/balanced well for competitive play. The argument could go on forever. :/

Oidisco

I would think the main difference between us is that you combo up to do damage through tilts and nair, I sweetspot or smash my way to do damage. I also try to combo dair into everything alot too. Especially dair gimp into footstool. Best kill combo for Zelda.

Yea that is something I've noticed alright. I saw you going for a footstool at one point in one of the videos you posted but I wasn't actually sure if it was accidental or not. It made me think of trying it out myself, but intentionally footstooling someone is something I never do. I just never think of it

Posted this on my group's Facebook page, would be curious how some of you guys feel about it.
Are you going to be able to do your ranbats this week?

I am 50/50 on customs. Still thinking on it. I kind of want to see how the next patch goes before committing. My #1 issue with customs is that Sakurai has no intention of balancing them, and I really don't want a game where top tier characters like Pikachu have an infinite into a kill move from a stray projectile.

I am 50/50 on customs. Still thinking on it. I kind of want to see how the next patch goes before committing. My #1 issue with customs is that Sakurai has no intention of balancing them, and I really don't want a game where top tier characters like Pikachu have an infinite into a kill move from a stray projectile.

I'm the same. I enjoy customs for the most part, as the overall majority of them are harmless and add to the game. The problem is those few that completely change the game, and not in a good way

Oidisco

I still don't know how to fight a good ROB. I've gotten a lot better at the game and I actually have a chance now, but I still don't really know what to do against him.

Which characters are a bad matchup for ROB? I need to know this so I can use them against him!

I actually don't know what "Smash DI" means
In previous Smash titles, Smash Directional Influence refers to moving the control stick in a direction during hitstop (the very frames where the attack connects and the characters are paused if that makes sense) to shift a character in that direction before they're sent flying.

I don't think it's in Smash 4 though.

Smash 4's DI still isn't fully understood I believe, but it's generally accepted that when launched horizontally you vector towards the stage, and when launched vertically you use traditional DI and hold left or right depending on the situation.

Edit: to go further, traditional DI is holding a direction to influence the angle you're sent flying. This is different from Vectoring which influenced how far you're sent flying. With traditional DI in previous games, if you're sent flying horizontally you'd hold either up or down to change your angle, and if you're sent flying vertically you'd hold left or right to keep from flying straight up and potentially flying at a low enough angle to miss the blast zone.

Edit 2: To go into more detail on Smash DI, in Melee if you pressed left or right at the very moment Fox hits you with uair, you can shift your character out of the way of the second attack. This means that uair can be "dodged" during the attack.

Also, Smash DI was what enabled characters to escape multi-hit moves in previous ganes by shifting their way out. This made things difficult for Sonic, who had a lot of multi-hit moves that characters could simply Smash DI out of. The removal of Smash DI in this game should be pretty apparent if anyone's fought a Sonic or knows how to get out of the Halberd laser.

FluxWaveZ

Feels like there's a little of input lag. Kinda throwing me off

Hm, I don't know if I've noticed yet. I'll pay attention to that this time.

Ugh, and I can never recover with Diddy. I'll have to sit down and learn how that works.

Edit: Hm, can't say I've noticed the input lag.

Directional Influence. Basically you influence the direction of an attack you get hit by, its how ZeRo escaped the second hit of Zamus's forward smash in Winner's finals.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Smash_directional_influence

Link goes more in-depth.

In previous Smash titles, Smash Directional Influence refers to moving the control stick in a direction during hitstop (the very frames where the attack connects and the characters are paused if that makes sense) to shift a character in that direction before they're sent flying.

Smash 4's DI still isn't fully understood I believe, but it's generally accepted that when launched horizontally you vector towards the stage, and when launched vertically you use traditional DI and hold left or right depending on the situation.

Edit: to go further, traditional DI is holding a direction to influence the angle you're sent flying. This is different from Vectoring which influenced how far you're sent flying. With traditional DI in previous games, if you're sent flying horizontally you'd hold either up or down to change your angle, and if you're sent flying vertically you'd hold left or right to keep from flying straight up and potentially flying at a low enough angle to miss the blast zone.
I know what DI is. Just not Smash DI. If it isn't in Smash 4, then no big deal.

Hm, I don't know if I've noticed yet. I'll pay attention to that this time.

Ugh, and I can never recover with Diddy. I'll have to sit down and learn how that works.
Recover high with his side B. Only use up B if you have to.

Thulius

I still need to do/see actual testing on this. I smash DI all the time out of habit and it "works," but I have no idea whether it's actually any different than normal DI in 4.

Oidisco

I've been trying to use Pit for a few days now, and he just feels terrible to play. I really expected him to be a lot faster and more agile

Yea there's defintiely a little bit of input lag goin on here. Oh well. Picking random characters is fun atleast

Robiin

Speaking of Smash DI, and if it's in this game or not. How did Zero escape the second hit of Nairo's f-smash in EVO Grand Finals?? I don't play ZSS myself, nor have I faced too many, but what was that if not SDI?

Thulius

Speaking of Smash DI, and if it's in this game or not. How did Zero escape the second hit of Nairo's f-smash in EVO Grand Finals?? I don't play ZSS myself, nor have I faced too many, but what was that if not SDI?

Some multihit moves just don't have enough of a suction effect to work consistently, and it varies from character to character. ZSS's up B and Fsmash are both particularly bad in that regard, but they're far from the only offenders.

I know as Greninja I can just DI out of some moves that I really shouldn't be able to, and Sheik is pretty similar as far as size/weight/fall speed go so I wouldn't be surprised if she falls out of a lot of the same stuff.

I've never used Captain Falcon before. I don't think I will again.

How do people use Megaman? It's horrible!

Falcon is fun. Don't know how to play him well but I got the idea. Can probably do well if I practiced.

And I got a replay vs MK where I get a gimp dair to footstool kill on 1st stock, then hard read of dair -> fair combo for the 2nd stock. I'll upload it later. Mind you the MK is stupidly bad which is why I went for style points lol.

Oidisco

My bad habits really come out when using a character I don't know.

Also, I have no idea how to kill with Duck Hunt.

Oh my god all these characters feel horrible!

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that's why I've started playing Random. It's made me realize how terrible I am, and I plan to improve.

Edit: Dammit, didn't mean to do that.

Just trying to do the challenges in single player helps me learn the other chars. Been going for the 20 crazy hand with mario challenge and it's actually getting me to learn him quite a bit.

Crayolan

Have you never touched any other characters?

I figured everyone at least spent a little time with every character just to get a feel for them when the game first came out, but maybe not.

JulianImp

I know what DI is. Just not Smash DI. If it isn't in Smash 4, then no big deal.

In Brawl you could use smash DI to very quickly escape a smart bomb's blast radius by repeatedly mashing (read: not holding) away from the explosion, for example. Now it doesn't look like it can be done, or at the very least not nearly as quickly as in Brawl.

SDI has to be in at least partially because it's still possible to escape the Halberd laser, and you're kept in hitstop through the whole thing. Maybe they've added a SDI multiplier to attacks to make multihit moves more useful or something.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah I should be able to.

I just don't feel any customs outside of Heavy Skull Bash (with combination of Thunder Wave) deserve any banning. There isn't enough data to prove any of them banworthy yet.

And yes, I'm still saying Super Speed is not good as "broken" as you think, I mean it's a worse Sonic spin dash with cooldown on a much worse character. EVO also hasn't really shown much jank in top 32. Should we really ban all customs just because of a few? Lose out on customs Duck Hunt, Palutena, Ganondorf, Wario, Miis, etc?

I still don't know how to fight a good ROB. I've gotten a lot better at the game and I actually have a chance now, but I still don't really know what to do against him.

Which characters are a bad matchup for ROB? I need to know this so I can use them against him!

Learn to catch the gyros, and toss them upwards, do not shield them. Shield lasers, avoid pivot grabs and normal grabs, ROB's grab range is pretty small but he'll use projectiles to condition you into them.

He's a big target, and prone to be juggled, so any character that can juggle well is a pretty bad matchup for him. Example: C. Falcon, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Fox

With regards to customs, Evo has shown that customs don't change things as drastically as I thought. The best players still place high, and more players would rather continue to play their own characters than switch to campy Villagers and Dongbender. I'm not in favor of customs, but I don't think they should be banned yet. Maybe ride out the rest of the year and see how we deal with them.

And at least there's always good old default. :)

Top Bottom