• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Yeah I should be able to.

I just don't feel any customs outside of Heavy Skull Bash (with combination of Thunder Wave) deserve any banning. There isn't enough data to prove any of them banworthy yet.

And yes, I'm still saying Super Speed is not good as "broken" as you think, I mean it's a worse Sonic spin dash with cooldown on a much worse character. EVO also hasn't really shown much jank in top 32. Should we really ban all customs just because of a few? Lose out on customs Duck Hunt, Palutena, Ganondorf, Wario, Miis, etc?

Learn to catch the gyros, and toss them upwards, do not shield them. Shield lasers, avoid pivot grabs and normal grabs, ROB's grab range is pretty small but he'll use projectiles to condition you into them.

He's a big target, and prone to be juggled, so any character that can juggle well is a pretty bad matchup for him. Example: C. Falcon, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Fox
Good players lost because of Villager custom jank. Diddy Kong won several matches due to an up B kill custom. Giving lightweight characters New guaranteed kill options is problematic.

Like I said, I will wait for the next patch.

Also, lol @ custom Sonic. Hammer Spindash was pretty BS.

I never said Super Speed is broken. I don't even use the word broken to describe things.

FSLink

Banned
With regards to customs, Evo has shown that customs don't change things as drastically as I thought. The best players still place high, and more players would rather continue to play their own characters than switch to campy Villagers and Dongbender. I'm not in favor of customs, but I don't think they should be banned yet. Maybe ride out the rest of the year and see how we deal with them.

And at least there's always good old default. :)

This is my biggest thing about customs. It's being banned so quickly, and why are we choosing to ban all of them instead of banning just the problem ones?

Good players lost because of Villager custom jank. Diddy Kong won several matches due to an up B kill custom. Giving lightweight characters New guaranteed kill options is problematic.

Like I said, I will wait for the next patch.

Also, lol @ custom Sonic. Hammer Spindash was pretty BS.

Custom Villager is very beatable, if they didn't figure it out by EVO, they should have hit the lab. That's not a character issue, it's a player knowledge issue. Only Diddy Kong in top 32 using upB kill custom was Angel Cortez I believe, and he would have placed high anyway.

Outside of Dapuffster and the 2 Wii Fit Trainer players, who in top 32 really only got there with customs? They would have made it there without customs.

This is my biggest thing about customs. It's being banned so quickly, and why are we choosing to ban all of them instead of banning just the problem ones?
If you ban all the problematic customs, there won't be any left worth picking outside of a few. They get picked for their OPness.

No one wants to go through a democratic banning process for a 50+ character roster to decide what is too good and what isn't.

FSLink

Banned
If you ban all the problematic customs, there won't be any left worth picking outside of a few. They get picked for their OPness.

No one wants to go through a democratic banning process for a 50+ character roster to decide what is too good and what isn't.
I think most people would agree that:
Heavy Skull Bash (in combination with Thunder Wave, by itself it's not that bad)
Timber Counter

are the only real OP moves, Kong Cyclone, Hammer Spin Dash, Thunder Wave, and a few others are suspect at best.

I don't think it's as hard as you think.

Heavy Skull Bash (in combination with Thunder Wave, by itself it's not that bad)
Timber Counter

are the only real OP moves, Kong Cyclone, Hammer Spin Dash, Thunder Wave, and a few others are suspect at best.

I played a kong on Anthers that absolutely abused Cyclone perfectly. I know we disagree on that move though.

FSLink

Banned
I played a kong on Anthers that absolutely abused Cyclone perfectly. I know we disagree on that move though.

I've played DKWill with customs before, and watched him play many Hawaii players here when he visited...I do think it could be one looked at to be banned for sure (I put it as suspect), but I don't think it has enough data to be truly banned yet.

Boney

Banned
I'm around if anyone wants a game.
You wanna see if it works better today snacks?
If not, that's totally cool, yesterday was atrocious

Regarding customs, I pretty much agree with everyone here, I was expecting them to be a lot worse at evo, but top players managed fine against them.

There should be like a formal request to Sakurai so he can sort some of the jank like trip sprout (and Shiek)

I'm around if anyone wants a game.
You wanna see if it works better today snacks?
If not, that's totally cool, yesterday was atrocious

Regarding customs, I pretty much agree with everyone here, I was expecting them to be a lot worse at evo, but top players managed fine against them.

There should be like a formal request to Sakurai so he can sort some of the jank like trip sprout (and Shiek)

Dear Mr. S̶a̶i̶k̶ Sakurai,
Please fix this jank shit.

-Boney, age 7

I'll make a room to try again.

Boney

Banned
Haha I mean, send a message that costum moves would make a fine addition to tourney play but there's fundamental issues with some of them. I suppose the first step would be to bitch about dlc characters not having then I suppose.

My internet has been acting up so it might not be too hot but it doesn't hurt to try

Oidisco

Just so you know Soul, Dreamland is glitchy for Zelda and makes her up-b have less landing lag when I use it grounded across the stage

Timber Counter

I don't think it's as easy as you think. :p

Nabster92

I decided to go earlier this week, should be fun. Sucks that I didn't know you were going since we could have teamed (not sure how to register for doubles after doing your registration).

I'm not a fan of customs used in tournaments. I don't mind playing against them, but I feel like they weren't well made/balanced well for competitive play. The argument could go on forever. :/

Yea I threw in a registration for doubles as well for it, but haven't picked a partner yet. If you do figure out a way to add that we can still try it, will have to try to find another random person from this region otherwise.

JulianImp

It'd be great if they'd finally begin balancing customs, but I don't think they will because it looks like the DLC characters won't even be getting any, not even lazy property changes to their specials.

Managed to watch a Pac-Man vs ZSS EVO match, but sadly it wasn't all that interesting outside of the player's good use of OOS nairs and a couple of times when she used up B to break a hydrant while using the trampoline below as a trap.

Oidisco

Good games Soul.

I won't lie, there were many times during those matches where I was shouting about how much I hate Luigi! The amount of damage he can do from one combo is ridiculous.

Birathen

WANTED

Im looking for bad to half-bad smash players. I cant take for glory 1 vs 1 any longer.. My record is 35 matches, 5 wins :p Anyone I manage to find in there who is on a somewhat even skilllevel leaves as soon as I win one match.

For fun is too crowded after I got to taste the fun of 1 vs 1 matches.

So if you are tired of being someone elses punching bag come beat me up. Im european, slow as a tired bag of potatoes and I usually play Sheik, Lucina or Mega man. Pm nnid if interested. Ill be on tomorrow once my butt heals.

JulianImp

WANTED

Im looking for bad to half-bad smash players. I cant take for glory 1 vs 1 any longer.. My record is 35 matches, 5 wins :p Anyone I manage to find in there who is on a somewhat even skilllevel leaves as soon as I win one match.

For fun is too crowded after I got to taste the fun of 1 vs 1 matches.

So if you are tired of being someone elses punching bag come beat me up. Im european, slow as a tired bag of potatoes and I usually play Sheik, Lucina or Mega man. Pm nnid if interested. Ill be on tomorrow once my butt heals.

I might be available to play early in the morning tomorrow (GMT -3), or some other time Don't get all that much input lag against some EuropeGAF players such as Out of ammo. NNID's my GAF username.

Top Bottom