• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Done Snacks? GGs, I sorta wished I could switch characters so I wouldn't lose so much, but that wasn't why I was playing right? :) That's an impressive Ryu, really got me thinking about how to approach. Your Pit was fun too!

And there's only zero landing lag when you vanish at a certain angle, otherwise you'll be really feeling the animation. :O

Vanish should be banned

Kappa

lol, but as much as some of you shit on Sheik, she's hard as fuck to do well with when you're playing against people of similar skill. Hell, even For Glory has become more difficult to deal with when you get matched with someone slightly competent. I have to really think about what moves I use to rack up damage so I don't stale my kill moves, and think about what percents I need to get my opponent to in order to go for the kill. Sheik would probably love stages with closer blastzones, but I hated Delfino and Halberd due to walkoffs and low ceilings.

That said, all of her attacks have some clear purpose and it's actually really cool to see how it comes together. And side-B off-stage is the worst. :(

Yea I threw in a registration for doubles as well for it, but haven't picked a partner yet. If you do figure out a way to add that we can still try it, will have to try to find another random person from this region otherwise.
They told me to send a email to them regarding it, so I should be in doubles. I've never done Rosa/Sonic before, but it should work fine, haha. Just worried about running into a G&W/Sheik team. :/

Anybody want to play?

lol, but as much as some of you shit on Sheik, she's hard as fuck to do well with when you're playing against people of similar skill. Hell, even For Glory has become more difficult to deal with when you get matched with someone slightly competent. I have to really think about what moves I use to rack up damage so I don't stale my kill moves, and think about what percents I need to get my opponent to in order to go for the kill. Sheik would probably love stages with closer blastzones, but I hated Delfino and Halberd due to walkoffs and low ceilings.

That said, all of her attacks have some clear purpose and it's actually really cool to see how it comes together. And side-B off-stage is the worst. :(

Sheik would be a pretty respectable rushdown character if not for 1. the fucking needles, 2. recovering for free 98% of the time. But we've already said that a hundred times in this thread.

Thulius

They told me to send a email to them regarding it, so I should be in doubles. I've never done Rosa/Sonic before, but it should work fine, haha. Just worried about running into a G&W/Sheik team. :/

Anybody want to play?

I'll play. I'm working on a secret weapon.

I can only guess Ryu, because no one here seems invested in Roy and everyone who plays Lucas had already picked him before he was out.

I would've spent time with Roy but then everybody got mad that everyone was playing Roy so I said "fine I'll go back to Fox and Doc you don't see anyone playing those two."

Now y'all want Roy back, well it's too late you're all gonna get Sheik instead :T

Thulius

I can only guess Ryu, because no one here seems invested in Roy and everyone who plays Lucas had already picked him before he was out.

It's Yoshi. You know how sometimes you try to learn a character you have trouble with, and then you realize some of their shortcomings and feel like you gain a new perspective?

I did that with Yoshi and got the opposite result.

It's Yoshi. You know how sometimes you try to learn a character you have trouble with, and then you realize some of their shortcomings and feel like you gain a new perspective?

I did that with Yoshi and got the opposite result.
LOL. You mean you realized he has no flaws?

I played Yoshi and didn't like his movement much. It's fine when you're at the advantage and can throw eggs and forward air all you want, but in neutral it can really be a lot of spamming eggs and floating around with neutral air.

I've never used Captain Falcon before. I don't think I will again.

How do people use Megaman? It's horrible!

Mega Man is a very difficult character to play because he's just so fundamentally different from literally every other past and present Smash character ever. You have to either really enjoy playing what's essentially a very different game from the one you'd be playing as most other characters or have a lot of genuine love for Mega Man as a character to make playing as him rewarding.

In my case it's the latter, and I can definitely say that being a Mega Man main has been challenging, rewarding, entertaining, and frustrating in equal measure. I have no doubt that my win/loss ratio might be a little better if I focused on playing a character like Sheik, Captain Falcon, or Zero Suit Samus thanks to their superior matchups with most of the roster and their relative abundance of safe options, but I just don't care. Putting in the work to be even somewhat good with Mega Man and then winning matches with him just feels so much better and more rewarding than does winning with any other character! I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd rather lose a tournament with Mega Man than win one with any other character.
Of course, ideally I'd like to win a tournament with Mega Man. :p
It's all about that character pride and maining the character that you personally have the most affinity for! (That's what it's about for me, at least.)

At the end of the day, playing Mega Man well is very similar to playing a Mega Man game well: lots of jumping, shooting, projectile pressure, and pattern-reading. Mega Man is all about constantly keeping his opponent off-balance and distracted/occupied with endless projectile pressure and punishing the impatient/unsafe moves that are baited by that constant pressure. He's not a "direct" character at all, but that just makes him more fun to play; so few people who play Mega Man actually play him well that Mega Man mains are often underestimated, which naturally just makes it that much more rewarding to win with him.

That said, he could really do with some minor buffs in the cooldown and landing lag departments. Almost every single one of Mega Man's kill moves is incredibly unsafe, to the point where they're almost not worth using except against novice opponents. :(

Megaman mirror is the worst mirror

How so? I'd say Mega Man mirrors are indeed the "worst" in that they're often long, drawn-out, boring matches, but on the other hand they're often free wins because very few Mega Man mains seem to actually be good with him, and free wins are always nice! I've won every single Mega Man mirror match I've ever had by a comfortable margin regardless of setting and ruleset.

Thulius

GGs Cyberman. I don't have the mental fortitude to fight this idiot eyeball monstrosity any longer.

Today I learned: G&W's Usmash is strike invuln for some reason and Sonic's Fsmash is even better than I thought.

GGs Cyberman. I don't have the mental fortitude to fight this idiot eyeball monstrosity any longer.

Today I learned: G&W's Usmash is strike invuln for some reason and Sonic's Fsmash is even better than I thought.
The G&W thing is pretty common knowledge. It makes good sense if you check the animation, too - his head becomes a helmet.

Crayolan

It's just a bit of armor on the head which only works on light attacks. Not very useful.

GGs. Started to pick up on the SideB for Greninja a bit later in the matches, but will always forget that ever so often, haha. Yours is really solid.

Yeah, G&W's UpSmash/Dash attack are two of the dumbest attacks I've seen. I love that Sonic's Fsmash can hit you behind me. The hitbox and move is dumb.

Thulius

GGs. Started to pick up on the SideB for Greninja a bit later in the matches, but will always forget that ever so often, haha. Yours is really solid.

Yeah, G&W's UpSmash/Dash attack are two of the dumbest attacks I've seen. I love that Sonic's Fsmash can hit you behind me. The hitbox and move is dumb.

Haha, I started trying to space sideB further under the stage whenever I saw you waiting to fsmash it but lol nope giant phantom hitbox. Even when I turned around to get the straight kick instead of the big sweeping one it caught me. Crazy.

G&W didn't bother me too much since it's online and I know next to nothing about the character anyway. I'm sure I could just block and punish dash attack but latency combined with his (lack of) animations means I could barely tell it started by the time it ended. I dunno, kept getting hit by key for no reason and I just need more practice against him.

btw your Sonic is fantastic and I mean no disrespect, but he's the only character I hate in this game that I also hate outside of this game so his dumb face makes me extra salty. :)

After playing Icana's Roy, I'm convinced he is near top tier.

He's so fast, and so damn strong it's really tough to play against.

I wouldn't go that far. I played a damn good Roy who wrecked me in the mirror match, then the moment I switched to Fox (no customs also), I straight up styled on the poor guy. Roy's good, but he's also good juggle fodder.

His fsmash should not be that good by the way.

Edit: Not trying to downplay Icana by the way, I haven't played him yet but I'd like to. :)

Yea that is something I've noticed alright. I saw you going for a footstool at one point in one of the videos you posted but I wasn't actually sure if it was accidental or not. It made me think of trying it out myself, but intentionally footstooling someone is something I never do. I just never think of it

When I first did a dair sourspot into footstool it was amazing. However since then I've tried to always fast fall my dair's off stage with a quick jump right after the hit. If the sweetspot lands, I'll just be able to jump out of the way. If the sourspot lands the jump away becomes a footstool because the fast fall is still keeping me in contact with the opponent. Either or the method is sound and can confirm more kills.

D-air sourspot to footstool on 1st stock, hard read d-air into f-air on 2nd stock

And regarding Luigi, I go into the battle with a single mindset. "Stay behind him as much as possible".

Top Bottom