• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Yea Namikaze this lag is bad. Let's try later

Yeah, GGs. I just checked and I think my brother just started streaming on Twitch.

The only reason I used so many eggs against you was because you played two ranged characters, and Pac-Man is so annoying with his run away tactics. I gotta give eggs for those guys. They deserve it.

Yeah, GGs. I just checked and I think my brother just started streaming on Twitch.

The only reason I used so many eggs against you was because you played two ranged characters, and Pac-Man is so annoying with his run away tactics. I gotta give eggs for those guys. They deserve it.

Let me know when that clears up for Yoshi dittos, Nami!

I guess. Pac you want to actually cover ground against him so I can't endorse your strategy. I was trying to count one match how many eggs you threw. I got to 60 and lost count because the match was close :O

Essentially I got annoyed and pushed to attack you. In a tourney setting I'd be more patient and would prob just settle to having to time you out,

I guess. Pac you want to actually cover ground against him so I can't endorse your strategy. I was trying to count one match how many eggs you threw. I got to 60 and lost count because the match was close :O

Essentially I got annoyed and pushed to attack you. In a tourney setting I'd be more patient and would prob just settle to having to time you out,

Yeah, I know Pac-Man doesn't do well with no space, but I was doing a ranged approach for some reason. I don't know. I haven't played Yoshi seriously in a while.

What you're telling me is my egg strategy was working. Yoshi isn't made for approaching, so making you annoyed and rushing in is a good thing for me. Who would you try to time me out as? I can see Link working, but I would probably have the advantage against Pac-Man in timing out.

Yeah, I know Pac-Man doesn't do well with no space, but I was doing a ranged approach for some reason. I don't know. I haven't played Yoshi seriously in a while.

What you're telling me is my egg strategy was working. Yoshi isn't made for approaching, so making you annoyed and rushing in is a good thing for me. Who would you try to time me out as? I can see Link working, but I would probably have the advantage against Pac-Man in timing out.

In a friendlies environment, sure, it works. You made me approach because if I had to hang back and almost go to time, I would last 3 matches before having to take a break from playing, lol, but in a tournament, ranbats, or any high stakes situation, any good player with the lead will hang back and power shield those eggs all day and wait for you to approach. I mean I could do that with any character I play as if I get the lead. Not saying it would work if you actually approach, but it would work if you continue to not approach.

I would disagree about yoshi not being good at approaching. I feel he has very good approach options to be honest. A lot of his moves chain into each other well.

Ultimately hanging back and throwing eggs has its benefits when used in conjunction with other options. When you rely on it though, you are going to get more and more diminished returns.

Thulius

In a friendlies environment, sure, it works. You made me approach because if I had to hang back and almost go to time, I would last 3 matches before having to take a break from playing, lol, but in a tournament, ranbats, or any high stakes situation, any good player with the lead will hang back and power shield those eggs all day and wait for you to approach. I mean I could do that with any character I play as if I get the lead. Not saying it would work if you actually approach, but it would work if you continue to not approach.

I would disagree about yoshi not being good at approaching. I feel he has very good approach options to be honest. A lot of his moves chain into each other well.

Ultimately hanging back and throwing eggs has its benefits when used in conjunction with other options. When you rely on it though, you are going to get more and more diminished returns.

It's not about whether Yoshi is good or bad at approaching, it's that eggs can't be contested by a vast majority of the cast and he has a giant 3f stop sign of a Nair that shuts down tons of other characters' approaches.

I mean, it sucks to fight and is super boring but discrediting it as a "friendlies only" strat when it's by far the most effective way to play the character is kinda silly. Eggs and retreating Nairs are literally Yoshi's entire neutral game. It's not any worse than people whiffing dumb stuff in your face then mashing jab because they know it's online and you're gonna miss your whiff punish!

I don't really think you can complain about me not approaching when you were playing Pac-Man and Link. Both of those characters want to beat out approaches with their wall of projectiles, especially Link. Your projectiles are useless if I don't approach you. You can go for the longer range projectiles as Pac-Man, but Link just has charged arrows for long range. If a player has a lead and is just shielding my projectiles, I am not just going to keep throwing eggs. I don't think I have ever had a GAF match go to time, so it definitely isn't on my mind to let that happen.

Yoshi's most useful and used approach options are SH with an egg, and SHAD. I don't really use SHAD though... but either way, he doesn't have much, unless you want to tell me what you think he has.

I am never going to rely on my eggs to win the match. They do pathetic damage with the amount that actually hit, and they can't kill. Eggs are good for setting up for kills, or annoying the player according to many people in this thread. I will try a different play style the next time we play.

It's not about whether Yoshi is good or bad at approaching, it's that eggs can't be contested by a vast majority of the cast and he has a giant 3f stop sign of a Nair that shuts down tons of other characters' approaches.

I mean, it sucks to fight and is super boring but discrediting it as a "friendlies only" strat when it's by far the most effective way to play the character is kinda silly. Eggs and retreating Nairs are literally Yoshi's entire neutral game. It's not any worse than people whiffing dumb stuff in your face then mashing jab because they know it's online and you're gonna miss your whiff punish!

I barely use retreating nairs. But you're right, that and eggs is Yoshi in the neutral. Nothing else is safe. I don't see how it is any different than a lot of SH, nair, fair, and PK Fire with Ness. Shamrock also plays Karsticles a decent amount, so unless Karsticles plays completely different against Shamrock than he does me, Shamrock has to approach a lot there also.

If people don't want me to throw eggs, then play Sonic. Sonic can punish almost every egg toss.

Let me know when that clears up for Yoshi dittos, Nami!

I was playing FG and it was fine. So if you wanna try now, we can.

It teaches you bad habits. That's what I mean about the difference between the mindset I was having of friendlies vs tourney. I mean if we are going to lie to ourselves here then I guess that's fine. I can play the long match, I just won't play too many in a row because my attention span sucks. Also, I don't consider it the most effective way to play the character at all, at least not from what I've seen and played against.
I don't really think you can complain about me not approaching when you were playing Pac-Man and Link. Both of those characters want to beat out approaches with their wall of projectiles, especially Link. Your projectiles are useless if I don't approach you. You can go for the longer range projectiles as Pac-Man, but Link just has charged arrows for long range. If a player has a lead and is just shielding my projectiles, I am not just going to keep throwing eggs. I don't think I have ever had a GAF match go to time, so it definitely isn't on my mind to let that happen.

Yoshi's most useful and used approach options are SH with an egg, and SHAD. I don't really use SHAD though... but either way, he doesn't have much, unless you want to tell me what you think he has.

I am never going to rely on my eggs to win the match. They do pathetic damage with the amount that actually hit, and they can't kill. Eggs are good for setting up for kills, or annoying the player according to many people in this thread. I will try a different play style the name time we play.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Why can't I complain? I approach and mix it up with my Link and Pac, as you usually do with Yoshi. In those particular matches, you were relying on keeping distance and throwing eggs, which is fine, but if you don't mix it up that strategy won't work against good players. I mean you can close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, but that's a fact. Go ahead and next time we play, play the same playstyle if you want. Don't change it up to appease me.

I am never going to rely on my eggs to win the match. They do pathetic damage with the amount that actually hit, and they can't kill. Eggs are good for setting up for kills, or annoying the player according to many people in this thread. I will try a different play style the next time we play.

I barely use retreating nairs. But you're right, that and eggs is Yoshi in the neutral. Nothing else is safe. I don't see how it is any different than a lot of SH, nair, fair, and PK Fire with Ness. Shamrock also plays Karsticles a decent amount, so unless Karsticles plays completely different against Shamrock than he does me, Shamrock has to approach a lot there also.

If people don't want me to throw eggs, then play Sonic. Sonic can punish almost every egg toss.

I was playing FG and it was fine. So if you wanna try now, we can.
You mean me as Mewtwo vs. Shamrock?

I think Shamrock and I are both equally aggressive. I can't play keep away because he heals it. I rarely throw Shadow Ball against Ness and Lucas. Maybe 2-3 times per match.

You mean me as Mewtwo vs. Shamrock?

I think Shamrock and I are both equally aggressive. I can't play keep away because he heals it. I rarely throw Shadow Ball against Ness and Lucas. Maybe 2-3 times per match.

I would say so. I think you and I are pretty aware of that mid level spacing that is so crucial (where you are just out of reach of the opponent in the neutral game). I consider that different from camping, which is hanging on a side not doing shit/throwing projectiles lover an extended time, or actively avoiding the opponent over an extended period of time.

Any of you guys doing SFV beta?

I would say so. I think you and I are pretty aware of that mid level spacing that is so crucial (where you are just out of reach of the opponent in the neutral game). I consider that different from camping, which is hanging on a side not doing shit or throwing projectiles, or actively avoiding the opponent over an extended period of time.
I have some new Mewtwo footsie tools I have been working on with him. I don't use them a lot in matches yet, but they will make a difference. Perfect pivot Dtilt is really good. :)

I admit these losses are a bit discouraging, but nothing a good "you just started playing Sheik" and "you've got a long way to go" can't fix! :)

Now if only I could fix that side-B issue...

Fandangox

Why are you stuck on the 3DS?

My gamepad is busted, so I can't play with it since left stick is not functioning properly, I ordered a GC adapter when CQ linked it to me, it should arrive soon, that said I have no tv , so I think I will have to use the Wii u gamepad as screen for it.

Never heard this before. Google says heel means bad person, but that doesn't seem right.
It's a wrestling term. It's more like you're the antagonist that people root against.

My gamepad is busted, so I can't play with it since left stick is not functioning properly, I ordered a GC adapter when CQ linked it to me, it should arrive soon, that said I have no tv , so I think I will have to use the Wii u gamepad as screen for it.
TVs are pretty cheap!

Fandangox

Anyone with the 3DS version feeling some one on ones?

Man where were you an hour ago :c

Never heard this before. Google says heel means bad person, but that doesn't seem right.

Its joke, just messing because of the comment with tipster. Now if you mained Sonic though...
It's a wrestling term. It's more like you're the antagonist that people root against.

TVs are pretty cheap!

They are! But I move a lot between staying and working at a friend's an going to my brother's so I will skip that out until I settle in some ere.

TWILT

Banned
Ahhh, I want to go home and play this game already, but I'm stuck at San Jose for 3 more weeks. :( They do have a Wii U with Smash at my cousin's house, but they don't have the GC adapter and the only other controller they have are Wii Motes, so...lol.

Also late, but EVO was a total blast by the way. Really enjoyed coming to Las Vegas; was probably one of, if not the best weekend I've spent in my life. Was really nice meeting you, Cyberman! Wish we got to play some Smash 4 casuals, but playing you in Persona was fun haha.

Twilt how many MEWTWO mains were there? There were absolutely none on the streams.
Fixed.
GGs CRQ. Your Sheik is coming along nicely!
Actually, question: what are your controls like when spacing out aerials defensively? I want to be better at fading back and hitting with Mewtwo, but it's so hard for me to jump and then transition to the C-stick, but my spacing falters otherwise. Thoughts?

GGs CRQ. Your Sheik is coming along nicely!

GGs Shamrock, but I've still got a long way to go if I could only take one match off you. Sheik has a very high skill floor, but I think I'm overcoming that challenge quickly. Probably could've taken a few matches if I just knew how to seal the deal on you, but it seemed like all my killing blows always came up short. :( Oh well, at least I know I can do it!

Top Bottom